What would you trade for Deshaun Watson?

22 minutes ago, jgb said:

Amazing how a legit QB can spread the ball around and find the open guy and elevate everyone around him.

Something amazing about Watson - 2 of his 4 years in the league were better statistically than any single season a Jets QB has ever had. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Something amazing about Watson - 2 of his 4 years in the league were better statistically than any single season a Jets QB has ever had. 

But "we're not ready for a good QB until the team is better!"

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, jgb said:

But "we're not ready for a good QB until the team is better!"

My theory is that it's psychological at this point. People are so used to bad QB play here that they subconsciously accept it and rationalize it. The Jets are supposed to have bad QBs. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, FlightBoyz said:

Believe me I want Watson, he's in his prime & is an elite QB in this league but I just don't see JD giving up the picks esp. with all the holes this team has & i wouldn't blame him if he stands pat.

I don't either, but if he doesn't take a QB at 2, we have a major problem. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

My theory is that it's psychological at this point. People are so used to bad QB play here that they subconsciously accept it and rationalize it. The Jets are supposed to have bad QBs. 

I agree. Many Jets fans care more about rolling over salary cap then getting good players. It's like that's the measure of success we have come to accept.

We've tried the garbage QB method for 50 years. Let's switch it up before I die, please.

• Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, FlightBoyz said:

Believe me I want Watson, he's in his prime & is an elite QB in this league but I just don't see JD giving up the picks esp. with all the holes this team has & i wouldn't blame him if he stands pat.

The other side of this is that Watson has a complete no trade clause.  Even though we have the draft capital and cap space to make the deal, it won't matter if Watson is not willing to waive his no trade clause for the Jets. 

Plus, we are still over two months from start of league year when trades can be made.  Plenty of time for Texans front office and HC to smooth things over with Watson.  Just don't see them trading him less than a year after he signs a 4 year $156 mil extension.

Gives us something to talk about in the offseason, but I would be shocked if Watson were anywhere but Houston next year.

• Upvote 1

Lol theres an article on yahoo sports about what the jets would need to do to sway watson and all three scenarios offer WAY less than we we are discussing. 

offers like: darnold, our adams pick this year and a 2 4th rounders next year

OR

the #2 pick, one of the firsts next year and a fifth

3 hours ago, GreenFish said:

We’re starting to see some sites put up trade proposals.

PFF: 2nd pick, Seattle 1st, Jets 1st 2022 and Darnold. This is actually really close to what I would give up. I’d prefer keeping our 2022 pick and giving up Seattle’s though. We’d likely pick below them.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-deshaun-watson-trade-options-houston-texans

I posted this back on page 8.  This is the trade that makes sense.  It's gonna take 3 1's for both sides to feel good about it, plus a little more.  Luckily, the Jets have that kind of capital after the Jamal trade and they can still keep a 2022 1st.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Lol theres an article on yahoo sports about what the jets would need to do to sway watson and all three scenarios offer WAY less than we we are discussing. 

offers like: darnold, our adams pick this year and a 2 4th rounders next year

OR

the #2 pick, one of the firsts next year and a fifth

Lol, that first offer isn't even worth talking about. That would never land a QB of Watson's caliber. The second offer is more realistic. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

No. I think people really underestimate how valuable having your QB playing on a high level still on his rookie contract is. Chargers can fill in a lot of spots around Herbert while he still makes peanuts.

This is why it's imperative the Jets get rid of Darnold. He stinks and is about to get expensive.

I mean, come on... what kind of ridiculous scenario would there ever be where a team gives a crappy QB they want to replace a big new contract, right?

Mark Sanchez Fumble Gif GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Right? I know it’s expensive, but **** it

Is it though? A known quantity at QB as opposed to a prospect. No waiting for him to develop. I'll take Watson over the lottery tickets. They could remake the offense around him pretty quick with the cap space and the 2nd/3rd round picks and the desire that guys will have to play with a star qb.

christoph waltz shrug GIF

• Upvote 1

While I can at least understand the general concept of those who are against giving up a massive haul to get Watson, the claims that you can't possibly have a good team while paying your QB big money really has no merit to it.  You've got this season's cream of the crop like the Chiefs, Packers, Saints, Steelers, and Seahawks all paying out the ass for their QBs, but seem to be doing just fine.

Now of course the argument could then be made about whether the freakin' Jets would be successful in being able to do what those teams have, but by that logic, history says there's even less of a chance of them finding a franchise QB, so I'd still gamble on Watson if the opportunity were to present itself.

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

How nice would it be to be in a tight game in the 4th quarter and not expect your QB to throw an interception? I don’t remember what that feels like. Even when Darnold had a fast start, we all knew and felt what was coming. Darnold mentally broke me as a fan. 

I have to go back to Chad for the last time I watched a good Jets QB. And those throws were nail biters. Like he didn’t get intercepted. But the ball traveled in slow motion that it gave me a similar heart attack. It was like watching John Franco close out a game. 

I’m all for taking Fields and even keeping Darnold to give Fields some time to develop. But if Watson is available? I just don’t understand how we don’t make that trade.

• Sympathy 1

45 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

I posted this back on page 8.  This is the trade that makes sense.  It's gonna take 3 1's for both sides to feel good about it, plus a little more.  Luckily, the Jets have that kind of capital after the Jamal trade and they can still keep a 2022 1st.

Damn that’s not bad - I reaaaaaly wanna keep pick 2 though haha

3 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

My preference is to keep the picks and draft a QB, but I'll play.

Here's what PFF said:

New York Jets → No. 2, No. 27 (acquired via Seattle), 2022 1st, Sam Darnold

To me, that's 1 pick too many.

IF Houston sees value in Darnold and they want him in the deal, then  #2 (2021), a 2022 1st (can be the higher of the 2) and Darnold.

I'm not giving them #27 (our Seattle pick) this year too.

I would do this in a heart heart.

We can’t expect to trade for a 25 year old franchise QB and not feel the pain of whats required to give up. 

Both Seattle picks, 2023 number 1, and Darnold.

Anymore than that and I'm just sitting put and taking Fields. 

Watson is awesome, but he makes too much money on top of the draft capitol it takes to get him.

How long will it take to build a team around him if we don't have any picks or money? 

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

yep, that's the fast way to go.   It was only 1965 when the Jets drafted their last franchise QB.  I can wait

Jets fans are so impatient! My other favorite refrain when you suggest, you know, getting good players.

1 hour ago, heymangold said:

Is the Seattle picks + Darnold not enough?  2 firsts, a third and a guy all nfl people can’t say a bad thing about?

2021 1st
2021 3rd
2022 1st
Sam Darnold

I think the answer is no. We’d basically be getting Watson for the assets we received in the Jamal trade. If Jamal can get 2 1st and a 3rd, then Watson’s value is a bit higher than what you are suggesting.

Top defenders go for 2 1st rounders. Watson is a top QB.

The people fine with giving up three first rounds picks including #2 overall and $40m per year in cap space for Watson are the same people who are going to pound the table to fire everyone in 2 years after he fails cause the team around him is trash.

This team needs at least 3 new WRs including a #1, a feature RB, and 2 new starters on the offensive line. And this is just on the offensive side of the ball. Trading away all these premium picks and half the team's cap space is insane.

You take your chances with Fields or Wilson on a relatively cheap rookie deal and actually put some talent around the quarterback with premium free agent signings and draft picks.

• WTF? 1

53 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

The people fine with giving up three first rounds picks including #2 overall and $40m per year in cap space for Watson are the same people who are going to pound the table to fire everyone in 2 years after he fails cause the team around him is trash.

This team needs at least 3 new WRs including a #1, a feature RB, and 2 new starters on the offensive line. And this is just on the offensive side of the ball. Trading away all these premium picks and half the team's cap space is insane.

You take your chances with Fields or Wilson on a relatively cheap rookie deal and actually put some talent around the quarterback with premium free agent signings and draft picks.

Hate to tell ya, you’re not gonna all that in 1 draft class. That’s what FA can do, especially if you bring in a big time QB like Watson.  Check out the offers being thrown out on these sites - it’s not that crazy.

4 minutes ago, heymangold said:

Hate to tell ya, you’re not gonna all that in 1 draft class. That’s what FA can do, especially if you bring in a big time QB like Watson.  Check out the offers being thrown out on these sites - it’s not that crazy.

I'm not claiming you can do it one draft class.  But yes, an extra $40m per year in cap space over multiple years and 4 first round picks in the next two years can make a big dent if you hit on your signings and picks.

You are not fixing this team with Watson and a bunch of mid round picks.  There are way too many holes to fill.  You need to start adding multiple difference makers.

3 hours ago, FlightBoyz said:

Their biggest hole is at QB. Watson solves that.

Even if we gave up 3 first rounders (including 2nd pick overall) plus Darnold....we would still have picks in rounds 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 5 plus cap space to improve the team. Next year we would have picks in rounds 1,2,3,5,5.

Is that not enough to fill holes? Especially with a Top 5 QB leading the team?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1