What would you trade for Deshaun Watson?

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

That's the fear.  Hey, if he hits the draft just perfectly and gets us the most dynamic new head coach out of the bunch of scrubs we've been privy to we could do better.  But the roster was dismantled to the ground and there isn't much to build on.

If you saw any Joe Douglas video this week (the WFAN Boomer interview is a good one to watch) Douglas looks frightened, he looks anything but the guy who was just anointed the Football Man of Florham Park.  He's no Alpha. 

Scary times.  Didn't need to be this way.  They had a plan.  They should have stuck to it.

SAR I

eyeore.thumb.jpg.a7441e3ba3446c3d041706cda9fb986d.jpg

SOJF

gaselaff.gif.4c23d289a063b4e6fe72d48eefccee7f.gif

• Haha 1

Nothing. Not the right move for us IMO. Get a new coach, let him have his guy under a 5 year rookie contract. Let him build around the new QB and retain the draft capital we need to get players on this team. Most of the trades in this thread are completely idiotic franchise killers.

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

#2, Seattle 2021 1st, Seattle 2022 1st, and Darnold.

Basically our #2 plus Jamal for Watson.

This is the trade.  It allows the jets to keep pick 34 this year and our 1 and 2 next year which allows to continue building a team around Watson, Mims, Becton etc.

Essentially #2 and Jamal Adams for Deshaun Watson - LMAO

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Nothing. Not the right move for us IMO. Get a new coach, let him have his guy under a 5 year rookie contract. Let him build around the new QB and retain the draft capital we need to get players on this team. Most of the trades in this thread are completely idiotic franchise killers.

I could argue that drafting wilson at 2 could set us back a lot further than trading 4 1st for Watson. 

We are not going to hit on all 4 of those picks. It's the law of averages. What happens if we draft wilson or fields and he sucks? It sets the franchise back another 4 years. If you trade for Watson you lose your first rounders this year and next. But you finally have a top 5 qb in the league. And nothing is stopping you from signing some players like Juju or A-rob.

I'll take the proven commodity over praying that the Jets don't sh*t the bed again. Whens the last time we drafted a good qb? Namath? That was 55 years ago. 

47 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Sam Darnold will get a 1st

Watson... just 2 1sts..

This forum makes such sense. 

benedict cumberbatch crying GIF

46 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Tua?! 

Yup. Tua has more trade value than Darnold. Tua performed quite well for a guy brought along slowly coming back from a devestating knee injury.

If Darnold had a 9 game run with 64% completion, 11/5 TD/INT and a QB Rating of 87 this year, his third, we'd be jumping for joy. And this was Tua's rookie year. Darnold has a 38-game track record of bad play. Sub-60% completion, 45/38 TD/INT, Rating of 78.

Plus -- and this is huge -- Tua has 3 (or 4 with 5th year option) of cheap team control remaining. Darnold, only 1. That cheap team control is what got Arizona a 2nd rounder for mega-bust Josh Rosen. It's importance cannot be overstated.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

The Dolphins are a team that could use Watson.  Some really good pieces, an established head coach, and a QB away from being a contender.

But the Jets?  We're years away from needing an expensive quarterback.  It's why, even though it would disappoint me greatly, I could see us hanging on to Darnold who is in no position to ask for a max deal.  And it was the same argument for keeping Gase.  Just too many holes to fill.  If we're going 4-12 next year it doesn't really matter who the HC and QB are.  Would have been better to give them another year than commit to the wrong people prematurely.  

SAR I

Years away?

You havent paid much attention to what can be done with cap room and draft picks to a team that while it needs talent was held back by one of the worst coaching jobs in NFL history

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Years away?

You havent paid much attention to what can be done with cap room and draft picks to a team that while it needs talent was held back by one of the worst coaching jobs in NFL history

ff_3632609-ec0f3261c2fe66d1d0aaalt1_full

Looks like you forgot the guy that traded all of this away is the guy that stayed with the team in 2021.

SAR I

#2 overall + the 2021 Seattle 1st + either the Jets or Seattle 2022 1st + a 3rd (which hopefully we get back when trading Sam).

3 1sts plus a 3rd rounder may be enough, especially if it includes #2 overall.  It would allow Caserio to draft a QB at 2 and also have 2 more 1's to rebuild the roster and make it his.  Maybe the Jets take a veteran contract off their books too if they feel there is good football left in them.

Jets would still have their 1 next year and would basically just have given up Jamal plus #2 overall for Watson.  Everyone's a winner.  It would all hinge on whether Caserio believes Wilson or Fields can be the guy.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

#2 overall + the 2021 Seattle 1st + either the Jets or Seattle 2022 1st + a 3rd (which hopefully we get back when trading Sam).

3 1sts plus a 3rd rounder may be enough, especially if it includes #2 overall.  It would allow Caserio to draft a QB at 2 and also have 2 more 1's to rebuild the roster and make it his.  Maybe the Jets take a veteran contract off their books too if they feel there is good football left in them.

Jets would still have their 1 next year and would basically just have given up Jamal plus #2 overall for Watson.  Everyone's a winner.  It would all hinge on whether Caserio believes Wilson or Fields can be the guy.

This is probably enough to get a conversation started if Watson is available at all. The other posts opining that Seattle’s 2 #1s will be enough are naive IMHO.

• Upvote 2

Since the Texans would have to pick a QB to replace Watson you give them our first rounder this year and Darnold and that's it. They can then get Fields or Lawrence to fill the hole at QB. No one other than Jacksonville can offer them a better deal than that 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Since the Texans would have to pick a QB to replace Watson you give them our first rounder this year and Darnold and that's it. They can then get Fields or Lawrence to fill the hole at QB. No one other than Jacksonville can offer them a better deal than that 

teams can offer multiple picks. 

Also why would HOU do this? Getting a Watson-level QB at #2 has got to be <10% likely. It would take multiple firsts to get Watson.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

teams can offer multiple picks. 

Also why would HOU do this? Getting a Watson-level QB at #2 has got to be <10% likely. It would take multiple firsts to get Watson.

We have all the leverage and you never give that up. When a player proclaims he no longer wants to play for a team and he also happens to be a QB the only option for said team is to get a pick to replace him add the fact that they are 17 mil over the cap and it makes the deal even better.  Teams in cap hell will have a hard time making this deal without losing multiple players while we have to option to not only get Watson but top also add players to put around him. The only QB's in this draft capable of replacing or even having a chance to replace him will be selected in the first 2 picks. That's pretty much it so you tell the Texans this is the deal you can offer if they don't want it then roll the dice with the third pick and deal with that QB situation. This trade will come down to us and Miami and if it does then you can start talking both Firsts plus Darnold . I highly Doubt the Jags and Texans will make a deal simply because then the Texans would have to face the guy 2 times a year for 10 + years and that's way too much time to be dealing with egg on your face

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

The Texans situation is so interesting because they only won two more games than we did, and yet, have no picks in the first two rounds and are 15 mili over the cap.

They are going to have to be creative to improve that team. 

They lost a lot of games by one score this year. Couple bounces of the ball a different direction, they're 9-7 instead of 4-12. The notion that the Texans are headed into some sort of dark age is really bizarre to me. All they need was a GM not named Bill O'Brien.

Most teams live in the 6-10 to 9-7 range, there are very few terrible or really good teams anymore - by design. Add in the extra wild card, it wouldn't shock me at all if they're in the playoffs next year.

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

We have all the leverage and you never give that up. When a player proclaims he no longer wants to play for a team and he also happens to be a QB the only option for said team is to get a pick to replace him add the fact that they are 17 mil over the cap and it makes the deal even better.  Teams in cap hell will have a hard time making this deal without losing multiple players while we have to option to not only get Watson but top also add players to put around him. The only QB's in this draft capable of replacing or even having a chance to replace him will be selected in the first 2 picks. That's pretty much it so you tell the Texans this is the deal you can offer if they don't want it then roll the dice with the third pick and deal with that QB situation. This trade will come down to us and Miami and if it does then you can start talking both Firsts plus Darnold . I highly Doubt the Jags and Texans will make a deal simply because then the Texans would have to face the guy 2 times a year for 10 + years and that's way too much time to be dealing with egg on your face

It all depends what looks more attractive to the Texans.

1) they need a QB

2) they need cap space

3) then need more players

There are a lot of ways this can play out but IMO if the Dolphins offer #3, thier other 1st, and Tua it's a done deal. 

1) QB - Tua

2) cap space - no more expensive QB

3) multiple picks, not to mention a valuable #3 pick that can either be traded down or used to add a blue chip prospect

The only way the Jets have a shot is if the Texans prefer their choice of Fields/Wilson over Tua but at that point it likely means us forking over another pick instead of Sam. We'd have to flip Sam for picks back from another team.

• Upvote 1

They lost a lot of games by one score this year. Couple bounces of the ball a different direction, they're 9-7 instead of 4-12. The notion that the Texans are headed into some sort of dark age is really bizarre to me. All they need was a GM not named Bill O'Brien.
Most teams live in the 6-10 to 9-7 range, there are very few terrible or really good teams anymore - by design. Add in the extra wild card, it wouldn't shock me at all if they're in the playoffs next year.
... is your goal to be 'most teams' ?

Watson's contract was drawn up by a kindergartener ... you cant handcuff a below average team with that nonsense.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

10 hours ago, jgb said:

Literally no one said that the QB position was the "be all end all" only that it's the most important position by a factor of at a minimum 5x (I'd go higher just trying to state things that 99% of fans agree with). The best deal in sport (not including rookie deals, obviously) is a legitimate franchise QB on a long term deal for "only" $30M, 40M, or even 50M a year.

Mahomes gets paid <2x Joey Bosa or Nuk Hopkins. Absurd value for money.

Sorry my friend but you are just pulling numbers out of thin air.....how exactly is QB ‘the most important position by a factor of x5’ ?....what metrics are we using to gauge this? Is there a mathematical formula here that we know NFL talent evaluators use to properly grade this?  I personally have never seen such a scale and would be interested in discovering more. Please don’t give me the ‘and 99% of fans agree’ because frankly I call nonsense on that....it’s so wrong on multiple levels it’s not worth prolonging an argument over

Look, I get the desire to upgrade at QB and have a shiny new toy that has compiled lots of impressive numbers in a few short years in the league. I would love that too, and there’s no question Watson has proven to be a quality passer, but I remain baffled at the readiness of people to blindly annoint him without a fair and proper assessment of his actual effectiveness and ability to make a difference.......the reasons why he couldn’t win more than 4 games is not something to simply be ignored, it’s  a valid question that demands greater scrutiny.. If we are giving up a whole load of high draft picks and significantly weakening our ability to improve for years to come then we need a ‘difference maker’ and there’s a strong argument to make that perhaps a QB isn’t the difference maker we’ve made it out to be. 

It’s not just a Watson thing either. There are other QB’s who’ve routinely put up all time great stats but couldn’t lift their teams above mediocre. Stafford has what? 10 x 4K seasons?...and yet he’s barely sniffed the postseason....Rivers too has been a passing machine year after year but what difference has he made?

I recognise that having a better QB than Sam would be a major upgrade, but there is a massive elephant in the room here with Watson that people seem to want to conveniently sidestep....and it is that for all his acclaimed greatness, it didn’t move the needle for a Houston Texans team that has significantly more talent than we do. For sure Houston has had some issues there too but is anyone seriously suggesting that DW didn’t have an awful lot more to work with there than he’d have in NY?

That has to be a concern and at the very least a really good place to actually start a sensible and constructive debate about how much actually having that shiny new FQB actually matters as opposed to building a roster and having a high quality coaching team in place. if this were the Rex Ryan team of 2010 then maybe you consider you are 1 player at the key position away, even then I’d be wary. Or if Watson had dragged that Texans team, off his own back, to a 10 win season ...but he didn’t, and if he had there’d be even less talk of trading him.

I suspect for many people this is a swallowing of pride issue(Perhaps not yourself, I don’t pay enough attention to know and remember absolutely every posters position on anything). For years we’ve been hearing the argument that it’s all about getting your QB and (almost) nothing else matters.....

.“You don’t draft safeties in the top 10 etc etc”.

”We should’ve drafted Watson in 2017 when I personally was banging the table for him blah blah blah

And while there’s validity in that argument and clearly the QB position is extremely important, it has gotten silly and too many people have tied themsleves to the QB is everything banner. In this thread alone people are genuinely suggesting we trade our next 3....THREE. first round picks!...and probably the Seattle picks too!!....madness....there’s no suggestion as to how we then support that QB once we no longer have any draft capital for the next 3 years because clearly DeShaun needs a lot of support..
So rather than admit that actually, maybe we were wrong and that simply securing your franchise QB(whatever that actually means) is not, in of itself;, the solution to all our problems, people are digging ever deeper into their ideological foxhole and failing to properly think this through. the reality of success in the NFL it turns out, is more complex than that, and that’ actually a good thing.

it’s for that reason  that I don’t understand the desire to give up everything to acquire DeShaun Watson and his 4K yards and 33 TD’s (although that certainly would be more fun to watch) without any guarantee that he can lift the talent around him in terms of where it really matters....in the win/loss column.

6 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

This narrative is simply not true, and our own team showed it first hand. Adams did everything a player possibly could to get traded, JD said nothing to the media except "we like Jamal and want him to be a Jet blah blah blah" and simply didnt panic trade him and what do you know he got the real value for him.

If Watson really doesnt want to be there, he goes to the owner and tells him that straight out.  Then its on Casserio to play the suitors against each other which for a talent like watson wont be hard.

Its 3 first round picks, and we happen to have that along with the highest pick in a QB draft.  If it happens Id imagine we are strongly in the discussion

this is all fun but really doubt watson wants to be traded. hes just a lil butt hurt and already over it i am sure.

BUT, if watson would come here, you HAVE to give up #2. In the end 4 1st rounders would be plenty and fair and you'd have to lock him up for 5 years at a number he just couldnt refuse

22 hours ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

If those reports are true JD needs to get on the phone right away.We would have to give up a lot. Offer Seattle’s 2021 & 2022 1st rounders and Darnold for starters. Try to hold on with the #2 pick if you can.

There is no way you get him without  offering up theb2nd overall.