Do you want Doug Pederson?

slimjasi

Do you want Doug Pederson to coach the Jets?   

202 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Doug Pederson to coach the Jets?

• No
    • Yes

The similarities between Rich Kotite and Doug Pederson are fair, though not really a reason to stay away. One not working isn't a reason to assume another won't too. But...

Kotite was hired after one great year as offensive coordinator because the owner hated Buddy Ryan but wanted the team to stay together. With Randall Cunningham tearing his ACL, Kotite still went 10-6 and then 11-5, winning a playoff game but losing in the next round to the eventual SB champs. Then he went 8-8 and after a a 7-2 start in year four, lost his last seven to go 7-9 and was fired with a .563 winning percentage. Jets owner jumps at the chance to get him.

Pederson was also hired after one great year as offensive coordinator because the owner hated Chip Kelly but wanted the team to stay together. He went 7-9 and then 13-3 with his QB tearing his ACL, then went 9-7, 9-7 and 4-11-1 to get fired with a lower .531 winning percentage.

The obvious difference is that Pederson won that SB before falling, while Kotite's team lost in the second round to the Cowboys, and Kotite was also the GM (and horrible at it) and lazyb which led to his eventual failures. I think Pederson is more of a jerk than lazy/dumb.

Also, Adam Gase isn't going to emerge as one of the better head coaches in football one day.

But again, for every Rich Kotite there is a Bill Belichick. If the Jets get the right QB and they stay healthy I don't see why Pederson can't succeed here. So I'm fine with it, but pardon those that see the similarities between the Eagles fired HCs. There are many, on paper.

For the record I'm a no but I'm not screaming No! like many here are. I just lean no.

18 hours ago, slimjasi said:

You could be right. I have mixed feelings about Pederson. He could be Gase but he could also be Andy Reid (who Eagles fans were also desperate to get rid of)

Bottom line for me - I trust Douglas on this one - he knows more about Pederson than any of us. He also knows Roseman and Lurie - he will get both sides of the story. 

I agree although I think Reid, despite losing in the NFC Title game many times, had a much stronger track record of long term success and had gotten very good QB play from a bunch of JAG QBs.

I also trust Douglas which is part of why I don't think it will be Pederson.

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...
On 1/11/2021 at 2:31 PM, Mogglez said:

Posted this in another thread yesterday:

Everybody talks about Reich, but since losing Reich he’s made the playoffs 2 out of 3 seasons and has won 2 playoff games in those appearances.  If Clowney doesn’t knock Carson Wentz out of the game last year, there’s a good chance they beat the Saints for a 3rd win and end up in the NFC championship game.

It feels good to get one.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/11/2021 at 5:08 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Wentz is the PROBLEM in Philly. Entitled douchebag that got paid too soon, lost the lockerroom, can't stay healthy,  and plays like a scared little girl when rushed. 

Pederson is getting the axe because they can't sh*tcan Wentz without a massive hit. 

He SHOULD get consideration, and I wouldn't gnash my teeth if we hired him, but doesn't mean he's #1 on the list. 

Right again, you smarty pants.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/11/2021 at 3:14 PM, carlito1171 said:

I'll take him.....

I think Howie Roseman is the bigger problem in Philly. Pedersen's produced when they actually loaded the roster there. There drafts the past 3 years have been meh at best. 

Not really in love with any of these coordinators, hes been a HC before, he's won the big game before, and knows offense. I'll take it given what's out here....

Still stand by this statement.....didn't really see the hoopla with Saleh at the time and Pedersen would have been a slam dunk hire

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 1/11/2021 at 3:01 PM, johnnysd said:

Man, we better not hire this guy, Do not hire head coaches right after they are fired. I do not care that they won a SB, that was mostly Reich anyway. Nightmare candidate. Please Jets do the right thing, no to Bieniemy, Pederson and Daboll. 

Almost as good as your Lamar take 

• Haha 3

I looked at my response. Basically I thought the jets should take a look. Pretty luke warm. The eagles should’ve won their division that year and their were some issues with Roseman.  Now I think he as the guy to get. The jets roster wasn’t that good in 2021 but the way the drafts turned out it’s now in pretty good shape.  Likewise, when pederson took the Jax job he inherited a pretty good roster as a result of the team sucking for so long.

There is no salary cap for coaches.  

Woody and the Jets have to create a compelling story for coaches to come here.  

At Pedersen’s age, where does he want to settle his family?  Cold New Jersey or Jacksonville by the beach?  Yes, Jax has its issues, but there are very nice communities there.  

I speak from personal experience-if had a choice of two equal jobs, one in tax free warm Florida, and one in the Northeast, I am going south.  

So if Woody wants to attract top coaches, he needs to pay top dollar and offer a top flight organization.  

17 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Oof.

These necro threads are brutal. I’ve gotta see what I said…

Ouch. We might be able to hire both of those guys as assistant coaches this year.

Pederson looked worn out when he left the Eagles. The time off and Florida sunshine must have rejuvenated him.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I love when someone pulls up an old thread where I happen to be rightz. Great.

Also, does @Spoot-Face and @sec101row23 still post here?  Both excellent and I feel like I haven’t seen them post in a long time.

Haven't been feeling like posting or reading the forums much lately, but I still poke my head in. Thanks, though.

• Upvote 1