A look at a few posts from the Texans board

Jetsfan80

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

That some havent made it to a SB isnt a reason to not do all you can to get a FQB.   While theres the possibility that they wont make it, theres almost no chance you make it without them.  

There is no other position that you can say that about

Look at all the teams that have won SB's.  There's an incredible amount of talent across the board.  On the flip side, look at a guy like Marino who was one of the greatest QB's of all time. Went to just 1 SB and got clobbered.  Dolphin teams just weren't balanced. Trade Watson for 3-4 1st's and you're messing with the balance of this team for years.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Netflix Shrug GIF by The Animal Crackers Movie

The Jets have never paid for a 20 million dollar player. I believe 15 is their ceiling historically 

Watson is a 30 million dollar player 

They reason why they have 70 mil in cap room is because they don't sign those checks. It's out of character for the general manager and the owner. 

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Who other than the Jets even have the cap space for this move? The pats? If Watson wants a better coach he's not picking NYJ over NEP 

Shoot everybody assume that Watson will waive the no trade clause in the contract he just signed. If ny was a preferred destination it would be on the list already. What's changed in 1 year? The Jets got worse 

What does any of this have to do with my post? 

You seem to be deadset on arguing that there is no way Watson comes here. That's fine. I have no idea what Watson wants. 

I'm not telling you he is going to be a Jet, I'm just telling you that a lot of teams are going to be calling the Texans trying to work some magic. Guys like Watson are virtually never available via trade or FA. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, jgb said:

Blockbuster to me doesn’t mean overpaying or not getting value but that a lot of value in assets change hands. I’d say trading 3 ones for an elite QB in his time qualifies as a blockbuster trade.

To me the only thing that really matters is....does DW want to come here or not.  If he does, I'd keep our Seattle picks and offer our own 2021 & 2022 first rounders.  Perhaps I'd sprinkle in another so so pick or so so player but nothing major.

If he doesn't then we'd have to pay too much so no dice.  Bottom line is we have a roster to build.    

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Not really, no.

I'm even sure the Texans can handle 20m of dead cap x3 for trading him 

The Jets would be paying Watson 2 million dollars per game, 16 weeks in a row. Draft picks aside it's a big check they never cut. 

The whole thing makes zero sense, from anyone's perspective. Except for the Jets fans on the verge of a breakdown 

I think it's just a one time 20m dead cap hit for 2021.  not x3.

That's the remainder of the 27M prorated bonus, ~20M remaining.  

I'm not a cap guy but I think there's many ways for Hou to handle this.  

Point is it's not a killer to the deal. 

I agree Woody is a cheap mofo.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The only reason the jets have not paid the Qb price on a contract is we have never had a QB worthy that is the sole reason.

Same reason we always have cap money it is rare any guys we actually draft are worth signing after year 5.

If the Jets want Watson and want to pay the price in picks they will have no issue with his contract.

This is what's known in the industry as wishful thinking 

It's a monster salary...would they pay it? Maybe. It's never happened before.

Here's another question is woody Johnson excited about the idea of Watson as the face of the franchise? Could jd get stank eye just for suggesting it? 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I would exponentially increase their traffic and ultimately become a dangerous and influential thought leader among the fanbase. 

How many websites full of post-middle aged white men who are obsessed with you does your ego need?

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, bitonti said:

This is what's known in the industry as wishful thinking 

It's a monster salary...would they pay it? Maybe. It's never happened before.

Here's another question is woody Johnson excited about the idea of Watson as the face of the franchise? Could jd get stank eye just for suggesting it? 

Yeah I'm sure Woody is really opposed to all those incoming jersery sales if they land Watson

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Is it? Doesn't seem so. Jet got multiple firsts for a WR previously and recently a SS. I guess it's an eye of the beholder thing. Or maybe I don't think it's an outrageous price so I don't see it as a blockbuster trade due to the picks though I guess anytime a young franchise QB gets moved it's a big deal.

And Houston got a 2nd and a part time RB for a player who is better and more valuable than Keyshawn Johnson or Jamal Adams

It's not about whether or not he should be entitled to involvement in the hiring process. It's about them publicly and privately telling him that he would and backstabbing him. This after trading away one of the top offenensive weapons in football for a bag of doritos the year prior. The Texans are such a mess they're making us look good

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Icer said:

Yeah I'm sure Woody is really opposed to all those incoming jersery sales if they land Watson

NFL jerseys are split equally among the teams 

Unless it's like specific sold thru the Jets store or concessions at the stadium, woody Johnson and Bob kraft both get paid for the bucs selling tb12 jerseys 

Understand that and we begin to understand the mindset of the owners. They don't have to win games to make money. In fact that's more expensive. Keeping the lights on is all some franchises really care about 

• Upvote 2

The Jets have never paid for a 20 million dollar player. I believe 15 is their ceiling historically 
They reason why they have 70 mil in cap room is because they don't sign those checks. It's out of character for the general manager and the owner. 

there were minutes away from 3/30 for cousins and that was over the market then too.
the cap room is due to a decade of bad drafting thus few extendible players at high level.
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

Look at all the teams that have won SB's.  There's an incredible amount of talent across the board.  On the flip side, look at a guy like Marino who was one of the greatest QB's of all time. Went to just 1 SB and got clobbered.  Dolphin teams just weren't balanced. Trade Watson for 3-4 1st's and you're messing with the balance of this team for years.

Marino made that team.  They were a 4-6 win team who’s record was inflated by his brilliance.  The balance of the team being ruined is an over exaggeration IMO.  You can trade away picks and build a team

6 hours ago, John Blaze said:

Your proposed deal is less than what we got for Jamal Adams. 

If Watson was on the Jets, would you trade him to Houston for that? Of course you wouldn't. Our fans would be livid if we let Houston keep the number 2 pick. 

Watson is a 25 year franchise qb. Any trade is going include the number 2 pick.

Just because Seattle was stupid, doesn't mean we have to be...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

You realize we have 2 extra first rounders over the next two years and need to spend a first rounder on a QB if not this year than next year for sure, right? 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

NFL jerseys are split equally among the teams 

Unless it's like specific sold thru the Jets store or concessions at the stadium, woody Johnson and Bob kraft both get paid for the bucs selling tb12 jerseys 

Understand that and we begin to understand the mindset of the owners. They don't have to win games to make money. In fact that's more expensive. Keeping the lights on is all some franchises really care about 

Touche about the jersey sales, but the interest in the team, ticket sales/PSL's would definitely be increased with Watson. I don't see how an owner wouldn't see the excitement that a FQB generates as anything but $ in their pocket.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, trading for an overrated Box Safety is very similar to trading for the 2nd best QB under 30 in the NFL.  Exactly the same situation.  

That's not what my comment was about and you know better lol... Everyone knows we fleeced Seattle, but a fair deal for Watson, is the 2 first's we got for Adams and either a player (Darnold), or another draft pick in 2022, or 23, but not a first. Now it's time for you to go back to reading all the new posts lol...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 68JET11 said:

That's not what my comment was about and you know better lol... Everyone knows we fleeced Seattle, but a fair deal for Watson, is the 2 first's we got for Adams and either a player (Darnold), or another draft pick in 2022, or 23, but not a first. Now it's time for you to go back to reading all the new posts lol...

Young franchise QB's are priceless.  It would be very hard for the Jets to get "fleeced" on this one.  There's no comparison to be made.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

It's silly comparing Watson to Marino(who played half of his career with the current FA system not even implemented in the NFL). Totally, totally different scenarios, different FA rules, different rules regarding passing... it's just not a good comparison.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

Who other than the Jets even have the cap space for this move? The pats? If Watson wants a better coach he's not picking NYJ over NEP 

Shoot everybody assume that Watson will waive the no trade clause in the contract he just signed. If ny was a preferred destination it would be on the list already. What's changed in 1 year? The Jets got worse 

No trade clauses are the most misunderstood things in sport 

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

We paid 20 million for 2 years of Gase. Might be worth splurging on a competent person at the most valuable position in sports 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

This logic would make sense in a world without a salary cap. They signed a middle linebacker to a $17M/year contract just 2 years ago. They're not afraid to spend money, they just don't have any players to spend it on at the moment.

If they can find a way to pay Watson $30M and still fit the other 52 players inside the cap they'll do it. The draft capital required would be the real issue.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Young franchise QB's are priceless.  It would be very hard for the Jets to get "fleeced" on this one.  There's no comparison to be made.

You almost can’t pay too much for an elite QB. Mahomes makes double Nuk and Joey Bosa. Tell me what’s the better deal.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

You realize we have 2 extra first rounders over the next two years and need to spend a first rounder on a QB if not this year than next year for sure, right? 

That’s not a guarantee. Tannenhill, Devonte Parker, Kenyon Drake and a few others were left for dead when gase left the Dolphins. Two years later, they are solid to very good players. I’m not banking on it but there is a chance that Sam follows that same path. Gase has proven over his two coaching stints that he has no idea how to utilize his talent.

3 minutes ago, extmenace said:

That’s not a guarantee. Tannenhill, Devonte Parker, Kenyon Drake and a few others were left for dead when gase left the Dolphins. Two years later, they are solid to very good players. I’m not banking on it but there is a chance that Sam follows that same path. Gase has proven over his two coaching stints that he has no idea how to utilize his talent.

If you’re looking for guarantees, study undertaking. In the meantime, gotta play the odds.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, jgb said:

If you’re looking for guarantees, study undertaking. In the meantime, gotta play the odds.

PS: very astute people knew Tannehill was a good player in a bad situation.

Most of us saw flashes of Tannenhill when he was with the Dolphins but when he was available, the league viewed him as a high end back up. If any of the other teams viewed him as anything more, the Dolphins would of done better than trading him and a 6th rounder for a 4th and a 7th. Anyways, the point being there are far too many people writing him off. He was taken high for a reason and was in a very similar situation as Tannenhill. I’d be completely fine with this team riding it out and giving him one more shot. 

• Upvote 1