2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

10 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

@football guy what are you hearing re: Zuninga? Is he able to hold down edge opposite Lawson in JD/Ulbrecht's eyes? That would be huge. Won't need to go Edge early in draft. Also wondering if they feel Clark is ready to step in at LG or RG?

TIA

I haven't really discussed Zuniga with anyone recently. I can ask, but I would say my perspective is that he will compete for a role. I didn't see anything to give me a reason to believe the Jets would bypass selecting an EDGE early because of Zuniga. And even if they did, it's this administration's agenda to load up on pass rushers. I expect them to select another in the first two days

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Ghost said:

We cannot pass on Wilson. If Wilson turns out to be a franchise QB and we do not draft him, it will set us back another 5-10 years. You HAVE to take him. It’s that simple. 

If JD feels that Wilson is a FQB you take him without hesitation. Just make sure you surround him with a talented OL, running game and WR’s. I don’t need to see another Sam situation where he is devoid of a competent roster. If Wilson still busts, so be it. Better for that to happen than not draft him and he turns into Aaron Rodgers.

45 minutes ago, genot said:

Check out Jabril Cox. Could get him later

I'm an LSU fan , I know all about Jabril Cox . He flashed at times last year on a historically bad LSU D , but he also disappeared for long stretches.  He was dominant at ND State albeit against lesser competition. I still like Owusu-Koromoah as a better prospect but Cox wouldn't be a bad choice in rd2. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Well, they shouldn’t need to be, but now they kinda do. Would love to see the Jets have the ability to be opportunistic, taking something like the second best linebacker at #34 if he drops rather than reaching for the 7th best lineman or 3rd TE.

What happens if the board does not fall the way the Jets hope/expect? What if the Jets take a quarterback at 2 and when it rolls around to 23 and 34 the best offensive lineman is something like the eighth best available player at that point? Are we fine with “Value Joe” waiting until a later Round to get an OG or RT?

Answering yes to that last question isn’t necessarily wrong. It simply means that we wouldn’t be heading into 2021 with an Oline any better than we had in 2020, or that the Jets may force themselves into a post-Draft trade that’s more expensive than they want.

I agree.  100%.

You never want to go into a draft knowing you need to get a starter at a certain position.  But as of today, we have huge holes at IOL, TE, CB, LB that I think, at the very lkeast, need would have to be factored in when grading prospects.  Still 5+ weeks until the draft, hopefully some of these holes will be filled between now and then and we will not be under as much pressure to reach for certain positions.  I know I am thinking like a fan,  and GMs may think about it differently.  But a fan is what I am.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

I agree.  100%.

You never want to go into a draft knowing you need to get a starter at a certain position.  But as of today, we have huge holes at IOL, TE, CB, LB that I think, at the very lkeast, need would have to be factored in when grading prospects.  Still 5+ weeks until the draft, hopefully some of these holes will be filled between now and then and we will not be under as much pressure to reach for certain positions.  I know I am thinking like a fan,  and GMs may think about it differently.  But a fan is what I am.

I’m waiting and hoping for a smart, surprise move by Joe. Maybe it’s wishful thinking but if he is as good as we think could he make a trade prior to the Draft for a starter? With so many teams clamoring for additional picks and still in some financial difficulty i’d love to wake up and hear that the Jets traded their #86 pick for a starting caliber OG whose team couldn’t really afford him anymore. That’s the kind of move that would impress me.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I'm an LSU fan , I know all about Jabril Cox . He flashed at times last year on a historically bad LSU D , but he also disappeared for long stretches.  He was dominant at ND State albeit against lesser competition. I still like Owusu-Koromoah as a better prospect but Cox wouldn't be a bad choice in rd2. 

I like your guy, but s... We need o-line help.

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I’m waiting and hoping for a smart, surprise move by Joe. Maybe it’s wishful thinking but if he is as good as we think could he make a trade prior to the Draft for a starter? With so many teams clamoring for additional picks and still in some financial difficulty i’d love to wake up and hear that the Jets traded their #86 pick for a starting caliber OG whose team couldn’t really afford him anymore. That’s the kind of move that would impress me.

Andrus Peat could possibly be a target.

With the cap situation the Saints have dug themselves into maybe they would want to get out of his contract.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

With the cap situation the Saints have dug themselves into maybe they would want to get out of his contract.

On a personal level I'd love that.  I actually coached Andrus' younger brothers in flag football about 4 years ago when they played with my son.  The family is great, his father Todd played OG with the Raiders and almost the whole fam showed up at all the flag games.  The younger brothers are on an athletic path too but seem a bit more inclined for hoops these days.   But anyway, I'd like Andrus a lot with the Jets but he does have some injury history that would need to be cleared.  Is there any indication the Saints would be open to trading him?

• Upvote 2

NFL free agency 2021: As Giants push to sign Adoree’ Jackson, how can Jets’ Joe Douglas address lingering cornerback need?

Updated 11:25 AM; Today 10:12 AM 

New York Jets general manager Joe Douglas has question marks at cornerback. AP

By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

As the Giants push to sign free agent cornerback Adoree’ Jackson, the Jets still have major question marks at all three cornerback spots.

And general manager Joe Douglas has yet to sign a corner in free agency — or even re-sign slot corner Brian Poole, who played well last year and remains a free agent.

Douglas’ viable free agent corner options are quickly disappearing. Kyle Fuller went to the Broncos after the Bears cut him. Jackson might land with the Giants. Xavier Rhodes returned to the Colts. Richard Sherman, Casey Hayward, Kevin King, and A.J. Bouye are still available. But Sherman and Hayward are old. Sherman will be 33 when next season starts, Hayward 32.

In the slot, if the Jets don’t want to re-sign Poole, their best option still left — after Desmond King and Troy Hill were snatched up — is probably the 49ers’ K’Waun Williams. But he might wind up with the Chiefs.

Jets new coach Robert Saleh was the 49ers’ defensive coordinator before he came to Florham Park this offseason. So he is familiar with Sherman and Williams.

The Jets’ outside corner spots are both a mess — or at least very uncertain — after they went through last season with Pierre Desir, Bryce Hall, Lamar Jackson, and Blessuan Austin. Desir was a brutal free agent signing and is long gone already. Hall, Jackson, and Austin are under contract for 2021. But there are no sure-thing answers in that trio.

Even if Douglas re-signs Poole, would he really feel comfortable entering next month’s draft with significant holes at both outside corner spots?

Clearly, Douglas could fill one of those vacancies high in the draft, since he has two first-round picks — second and 23rd. Douglas also has the second pick in both Round 2 and 3. So yes, he can get a legit corner via the draft. But two (or three) of them? Probably not.

The top corners in this year’s draft are Alabama’s Patrick Surtain II and Virginia Tech’s Caleb Farley. The Jets won’t take either player at No. 2, of course, but could grab one of them in a trade-down situation. Which remains possible, if they retain quarterback Sam Darnold.

Surtain and Farley could both be gone by No. 23. So keep an eye on South Carolina’s Jaycee Horn to the Jets at that spot. He’s been projected to them in mock drafts, at least.

Other notable corners to watch include Georgia’s Tyson Campbell and Florida State’s Asante Samuel Jr. Like Surtain, Samuel’s dad played cornerback in the NFL — and passed along his name (and talents) to his son.

2 hours ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

If JD feels that Wilson is a FQB you take him without hesitation. Just make sure you surround him with a talented OL, running game and WR’s. I don’t need to see another Sam situation where he is devoid of a competent roster. If Wilson still busts, so be it. Better for that to happen than not draft him and he turns into Aaron Rodgers.

If JD feels that Fields is a FQB you take him without hesitation. Just make sure you surround him with a talented OL, running game and WR’s. I don’t need to see another Sam situation where he is devoid of a competent roster. If Fields still busts, so be it. Better for that to happen than not draft him and he turns into a bigger, better Deshaun Watson.

If JD feels that Lance is a FQB you trade down a few picks and take him without hesitation. Just make sure you surround him with a talented OL, running game and WR’s. I don’t need to see another Sam situation where he is devoid of a competent roster. If Lance still busts, so be it. Better for that to happen than not draft him and he turns into Josh Allen.

You see, it works equally well with all the names.  Just because roughly half this board is convinced Wilson is the clear cut #2 does not make it necessarily the truth at One Jets Drive.  I know if they go in any other direction, some people here are going to start collecting infinity stones and assembling a gauntlet but it is entirely possible that in our timeline, Wilson is not going to be the pick. 

Now...if we could merge them and make Sam Wilson...I'd be all over that.  A QB with wings....how cool would that be.

• Upvote 2

Ex-Jets GM links Sam Darnold to massive 3-way trade scenario involving Seahawks’ Russell Wilson

Updated 12:06 PM; Today 12:00 PM 

The New York Jets might trade quarterback Sam Darnold, the No. 3 pick overall in the 2018 NFL Draft.Andrew Mills | NJ Advance Media 

By Mike Rosenstein | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

For the second time in less than a week, an NFL insider at ESPNis linking New York Jets quarterback Sam Darnold to a blockbuster three-way trade scenario involving Seattle Seahawks QB Russell Wilson and the Chicago Bears.

This time, the suggestion comes from former Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum, who’s buying what Dan Orlovksy was selling seven days ago. Here’s what Tannenbaum had to say Monday on “Get Up” when asked by host Mike Greenbergabout the Bears not having the draft capital to trade for Wilson.

The one quarterback that makes sense Greeny is the New York Jets and Sam Darnold. His $4.6 million salary this year, going from the Jets to Seattle ... Russell Wilson goes to Chicago, picks go to the Jets, Jets take Zach Wilson, and that’s the way really, the basics of a trade could work between those three teams.

Now, it’s worth noting that Tannenbaum seems a bit confused here. There’s no way the Seahawks give up Wilson and get just Darnold in return. Multiple draft picks somehow need to go to Seattle as well.

Wilson has said he is willing to accept a trade to one of four teams: the Bears, New Orleans Saints, Dallas Cowboys and Las Vegas Raiders.

The Cowboys came off the board earlier this month when Dallas signed quarterback Dak Prescott to a four-year, $160 million deal.

The Saints are ready to move forward with Jameis Winston and Taysom Hill following Drew Brees’ retirement.

The Raiders seem happy to roll with incumbent Derek Carr at quarterback. That leaves the Bears as the most likely destination for Wilson, if the Seahawks are willing to part with the seven-time Pro Bowl selection and former Super Bowl champion.

As for Darnold, if he’s traded by the Jets, look for New York to use the No. 2 pick overall in the 2021 NFL Draft on a new franchise QB, with BYU’s Zach Wilson, Ohio State’s Justin Fields and North Dakota State’s Trey Lance in the mix.

The Jacksonville Jaguars are expected to use the No. 1 pick overall on Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence.

14 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Every time we are 'in' on somebody, we lose... maybe if we're 'out' it means it's about to go down?

The NY Jets were never in the DeShaun Watson sweepstakes from the beginning. 

JD is not giving up all those draft picks and QW. 

Build through the draft and remain patient is all we can do at this point. 

Wilson,Fields or Lance or stick with Sam Darnold. 

Who knows? 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I’d rather target Lattimore.  Offer the Saints the 23 pick

• Upvote 1