DESHAUN OFFICIALLY REQUESTS TRADE BABY

T0mShane

6 minutes ago, football guy said:

I have an informed opinion that they are not trading him before the draft. 

I believe that he'll eventually report and things will get cleared up. If he doesn't report to team activities, I'm not sure. No one from Caserio's inner circle has an idea what he would do. 

Any ideia if the jets are picking up the 25m option for sam darnold?

1 hour ago, football guy said:

Houston ?? is ?? not ?? trading ?? him ?? 

I wonder what the total cost to him would be if he held out, or held out long enough until the minimum amount he needed to report to get a year of employment off his contract. Exactly how many training camp days, game checks etc. 

6 minutes ago, joebabyny said:

I wonder what the total cost to him would be if he held out, or held out long enough until the minimum amount he needed to report to get a year of employment off his contract. Exactly how many training camp days, game checks etc. 

He can hold out for 2 years and I think a team would still give 2+ 1sts for him. 

If he's made available, the bidding starts at 3 1st round picks whether it's now or a year from now. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, football guy said:

has had an unfair shake his first 3 years

what makes Darnold different is his age, untapped potential, and the realization he's been in a sh*t situation. 

I don't see at all what's complicated about this to Jets fans.

I understand the argument that we might have already ruined him. I get that - he might be David Carr'd. That's at least an understandable argument.

But the real takeaway here should be that we absolutely cannot do that to the next quarterback prospect we draft. It should be less about what Darnold can be going forward and more about understanding the reasons why he failed, and learning from those mistakes. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, bitonti said:

Not really I support Adams and his campaign to build a life boat off of the gase titanic. They should have paid him. 

But I'm really interested how the rest of the the board can hate Adams and love Watson for doing the same thing.

Watson gets more style points for doing it through his agents but it feels like an awful lot of people who hated Jamal Adams for shooting his way out of New York loves Watson for shooting his way out of Houston 

I think Alanis Morissette wrote a whole song about it 

It’s remarkable how wilfully  blind people are about this, twisting themselves into knots of hypocrisy trying to argue the unarguable

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, football guy said:

People act like I've been on here touting him as the next Messiah just because I think the team is moving forward with him and that the rest of the league thinks really highly of him. Tape study suggests that his issues are correctable and that he should be able to maximize his ability in the new offense. I have no idea if that means he'll be Ryan Fitzpatrick, Aaron Rodgers or somewhere in between... all I know is that the Jets see a 23-year-old with unique talent who has great work habits and has had an unfair shake his first 3 years. They believe he can be a starting QB you can win with, but are unsure what his ceiling is. Talent wise? His ceiling is through the roof. But processing wise, the ability to command the field and make better decisions with consistency, they realize much of this is unknown, and are curious to see if the new environment will provide clarity on that. 

I think the best way to put it is this: on a good team, they think he can be what Jimmy Garoppolo has been which is a talented QB who's a good fit for their offense, but is missing something preventing him from being an elite QB. That won't stop them from exploring upgrades, but what makes Darnold different is his age, untapped potential, and the realization he's been in a sh*t situation. There's a reason 12-15 teams have inquired...

If he doesn't work out, they have built-in flexibility due to unlimited cash and draft picks in 2022 to address the position. 

If he works out, you could be on your way to building the next 3-5 year dynasty a la the Chiefs with up to 8 1st round picks in a 3-year span with tons of financial flexibility. 

I think the main part of this post which is curious, is your take that darnold has ‘unique talent’.  Actually, i don’t think we’ve seen anything in his game, or potential game, that translates to unique.  I don’t see a qb who has the raw skills to excel in any one area, physical or mental.  If darnold’s upside is what garropolo is on SF, ok, i see how he can be serviceable and you can win with a balanced team.  But increasingly i think too many analysts are biased by who they thought darnold would be and where he was drafted.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, football guy said:

If he works out, you could be on your way to building the next 3-5 year dynasty a la the Chiefs with up to 8 1st round picks in a 3-year span with tons of financial flexibility. 

So you’re saying yes to 5th yr option?

If not, Sam has an excellent yr and we pay him top 10 Qb $.... if not we start over again with another new Qb in ‘22. 

17 minutes ago, football guy said:

I don't know that there's an advantage. Again, it's the about the word of the day: hedging 

1. Deshaun's mad enough already, but there's hope that once the agents get drowned out and he gets a chance to connect with the coaching staff, he'll come back. Make him available for trade or god forbid a conversation gets leaked that you're vetting out teams to trade for him? Now you're definitely not getting him back. 
  2. They're not a competitive football team and he's one of the best players in the NFL. You're not replacing him if you move him before the draft so why not wait it out and see if Culley and his staff can mend the fences? As they say, time heals all wounds. 
  3. Whether Deshaun plays or not, I don't think the front office believes this team will compete. You won't hear the coaching staff say that, but the FO doesn't expect much. If he sits out, you're probably picking 1st in 2022 and then you can revisit trading him to a team likely willing to pay the same +3 1st round picks that teams were willing to pay this year. 

I have no inside info whatsoever because I’m just a super fan, lol. Here is what I think today. 
1 I think today the Texans genuinely may believe they don’t need to trade him and he will come around. 
2 I think the Texans are also supremely tone deaf and not living in reality and this is why they believe it will get worked out. This same tone deafness is why they ignored minority candidates for interviews and why their eventual hire was a 65 yo temporary guy they thought would cover their ass on minority hiring. 
3 I think easterby is reinforcing this belief because that DW comes around because if they are forced to trade DW it will be his fault and his career. 
4 I think DW may be principled enough and rich enough to call the team bluff and sit out. 
5 I think waiting until after the draft only will hurt the Texan negotiating position with other teams, as everyone will know it’s a dire situation at that point and teams make their draft picks and FA signings, leaving less money or rosters for qbs. 
6 I think unless DW has a coming to Jesus moment with management, I think they will have to trade him. Even if he doesn’t hold out, the team, FA, fans, and media will know he doesn’t want to be their and speculation will continue. Players will be effected, FAs will avoid them. The tram can win the battle but lose the war. 
7 I think with so many QB changes this and next year, if the Texans don’t spring on the opportunity to draft via trade this year, it will only be harder and more costly next year. 
8 I think the greatest chance they have of quick turn around on the field and in public opinion is get a haul of picks this year, get rid of Easterby, and make Culley a mentor for a young promising coordinator to take over in 2 years and let that be known. 

just some rambling thoughts I’m fat fingering on my phone, excuse the grammar, lol. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, football guy said:

People act like I've been on here touting him as the next Messiah just because I think the team is moving forward with him and that the rest of the league thinks really highly of him. Tape study suggests that his issues are correctable and that he should be able to maximize his ability in the new offense. I have no idea if that means he'll be Ryan Fitzpatrick, Aaron Rodgers or somewhere in between... all I know is that the Jets see a 23-year-old with unique talent who has great work habits and has had an unfair shake his first 3 years. They believe he can be a starting QB you can win with, but are unsure what his ceiling is. Talent wise? His ceiling is through the roof. But processing wise, the ability to command the field and make better decisions with consistency, they realize much of this is unknown, and are curious to see if the new environment will provide clarity on that. 

I think the best way to put it is this: on a good team, they think he can be what Jimmy Garoppolo has been which is a talented QB who's a good fit for their offense, but is missing something preventing him from being an elite QB. That won't stop them from exploring upgrades, but what makes Darnold different is his age, untapped potential, and the realization he's been in a sh*t situation. There's a reason 12-15 teams have inquired...

If he doesn't work out, they have built-in flexibility due to unlimited cash and draft picks in 2022 to address the position. 

Slurp slurp yum yum but Mahomes woulda been a bust here. This started out as a good joke.

• Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, football guy said:

He can hold out for 2 years and I think a team would still give 2+ 1sts for him. 

If he's made available, the bidding starts at 3 1st round picks whether it's now or a year from now. 

But there’s also opportunity cost to forcing this hold out, on field, in the stands,in the media, and with sponsors. Lots of things to consider in going to the mattresses in today’s world. 

46 minutes ago, football guy said:

I don't know that there's an advantage. Again, it's the about the word of the day: hedging 

1. Deshaun's mad enough already, but there's hope that once the agents get drowned out and he gets a chance to connect with the coaching staff, he'll come back. Make him available for trade or god forbid a conversation gets leaked that you're vetting out teams to trade for him? Now you're definitely not getting him back. 
  2. They're not a competitive football team and he's one of the best players in the NFL. You're not replacing him if you move him before the draft so why not wait it out and see if Culley and his staff can mend the fences? As they say, time heals all wounds. 
  3. Whether Deshaun plays or not, I don't think the front office believes this team will compete. You won't hear the coaching staff say that, but the FO doesn't expect much. If he sits out, you're probably picking 1st in 2022 and then you can revisit trading him to a team likely willing to pay the same +3 1st round picks that teams were willing to pay this year. 

FG, I respect your knowledge and connections, but you must be young. Do you understand how scorn works? There is NO CHANCE he comes back. Watson is done with houston. If watson crawls back after this stance, his manhood is obliterated.

You're only position is you believe watson will sit a full year because houston is too stubborn to trade him. If that's what your saying, fine, however I think that's highly unlikely. It's a new regime in Houston and caserio will want to build a team that wants to be there. I believe he gets traded. To the jets? I'm not sure, but he gets traded.

36 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I think the main part of this post which is curious, is your take that darnold has ‘unique talent’.  Actually, i don’t think we’ve seen anything in his game, or potential game, that translates to unique.  I don’t see a qb who has the raw skills to excel in any one area, physical or mental.  If darnold’s upside is what garropolo is on SF, ok, i see how he can be serviceable and you can win with a balanced team.  But increasingly i think too many analysts are biased by who they thought darnold would be and where he was drafted.

I can't be other people's eyes. If you haven't seen the unique throws he has made outside of structure I can't help you. Just go do some research and you'll find plenty 

36 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

So you’re saying yes to 5th yr option?

If not, Sam has an excellent yr and we pay him top 10 Qb $.... if not we start over again with another new Qb in ‘22. 

I think they'll sign him to an "extension"

24 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Slurp slurp yum yum but Mahomes woulda been a bust here. This started out as a good joke.

Reflect on what has made him a top 5 QB in KC. Now elaborate why he would've been a top 5 QB in New York. I'll circle back later.

26 minutes ago, joebabyny said:

But there’s also opportunity cost to forcing this hold out, on field, in the stands,in the media, and with sponsors. Lots of things to consider in going to the mattresses in today’s world. 

Again, they're hedging. They're not in a win position right now. If they trade him now their fanbase hates them. If they wait there's an opportunity the fans move on from him and the diva antics... kind of like Jet fans did with Jamal. 

21 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

FG, I respect your knowledge and connections, but you must be young. Do you understand how scorn works? There is NO CHANCE he comes back. Watson is done with houston. If watson crawls back after this stance, his manhood is obliterated.

You're only position is you believe watson will sit a full year because houston is too stubborn to trade him. If that's what your saying, fine, however I think that's highly unlikely. It's a new regime in Houston and caserio will want to build a team that wants to be there. I believe he gets traded. To the jets? I'm not sure, but he gets traded.

I'm plenty old enough to know scorn lol. Plenty of busted relationships in my nearly 30 years. 

Again, not doing so in a mocking way, but I'm happy to share my info and take bets on the situation and how it plays out.  

41 minutes ago, football guy said:

I think they'll sign him to an "extension

Wow... prior to the season? If you’re going to do it that would be the time. Needs to basically be a 2 year “add on” heavily laden with performance bonuses and a team/ player option to opt out after 2021. You also need to bring in a vet not named Flacco (Beathard)

• Sympathy 2

50 minutes ago, football guy said:

I can't be other people's eyes. If you haven't seen the unique throws he has made outside of structure I can't help you. Just go do some research and you'll find plenty 

I think they'll sign him to an "extension"

Reflect on what has made him a top 5 QB in KC. Now elaborate why he would've been a top 5 QB in New York. I'll circle back later.

Again, they're hedging. They're not in a win position right now. If they trade him now their fanbase hates them. If they wait there's an opportunity the fans move on from him and the diva antics... kind of like Jet fans did with Jamal. 

I'm plenty old enough to know scorn lol. Plenty of busted relationships in my nearly 30 years. 

Again, not doing so in a mocking way, but I'm happy to share my info and take bets on the situation and how it plays out.  

So you’re thinking he actually sits a year (or several games into the season)?

5 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Wow... prior to the season? If you’re going to do it that would be the time. Needs to basically be a 2 year “add on” heavily laden with performance bonuses and a team/ player option to opt out after 2021. You also need to bring in a vet not named Flacco (Beathard)

They're not giving him an extension now. They're not exercising the option. They're gonna see if he can play kinda okay against an easy schedule when there's no tape of him in the system. Then they're going to give him 100M.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, joebabyny said:

I don't think Watson holds out, I think he pulls a Trent Williams or Antonio Brown and claims some type of nagging injury as to why he is not playing. I don't think they can fine you for injury.

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Take the best package of picks for Watson and Watt, draft Zack Wilson, and start fresh. Makes no sense to hang onto Watson’s ankles out of some misguided sense of principles. 

There's actually a theory among Texans fans that wilson being Mormon makes him undraftable (as someone who was raised evangelical, this is a thing) and fields has the same agent as Watson 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, football guy said:

I think the best way to put it is this: on a good team, they think he can be what Jimmy Garoppolo has been which is a talented QB who's a good fit for their offense, but is missing something preventing him from being an elite QB. 

Darnold and Jimmy G had like the same qbase score, 400ish for whatever that's worth 

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

There's actually a theory among Texans fans that wilson being Mormon makes him undraftable (as someone who was raised evangelical, this is a thing) and fields has the same agent as Watson 

Ziggy Ansah, Brett Keisel, Haloti Ngata, Eric Weddle, Merlin Olsen, Steve Young, etc. 

All those guys have had sh1tty careers. 

Just now, Jets Things said:

Ziggy Ansah, Brett Keisel, Haloti Ngata, Eric Weddle, Merlin Olsen, Steve Young, etc. 

All those guys have had sh1tty careers. 

To clarify this theory is because the Texans have turned into a super church. The new HC and gm are extra Christian. This is to say they are against wilson inside the Texans building for non football reasons. This is not an anti Mormon take... I'm sure many great Mormon players. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

To clarify this theory is because the Texans have turned into a super church. The new HC and gm are extra Christian. This is to say they are against wilson inside the Texans building for non football reasons. This is not an anti Mormon take... I'm sure many great Mormon players. 

That doesn't sound like Christian behavior. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

They're not giving him an extension now. They're not exercising the option. They're gonna see if he can play kinda okay against an easy schedule when there's no tape of him in the system. Then they're going to give him 100M.

This 

They will be exposed though because one more of those first round QBs not named will be a stud and Darnold will fold under pressure.. Again, hope JD ready for that hot seat it will be well deserved 

My two cents on Deshaun Watson saga... piggybacking on comments made by football guy & joebabyny...

I happen to still believe in Sam Darnold.  I saw enough from him his rookie year in Bates' version of Shanahan offense to feel confident it's perfect for his skillset.  The Gase system is not QB friendly.  Never was.  It requires a Peyton Manning type football savant to be effective.

That said...there's no guarantees so I'd absolutely trade for Watson without a second thought.

There's only two options in my mind and if Joe D is playing chess and not checkers he will see its either trade for Watson or stick with Darnold.  They absolutely should not draft a rookie QB and here is why...  

Every day this plays out increases the Jets chances.  And if for some moronic reason the Texans don't trade Watson before the draft...

1) I believe 2022 Texans are most over cap.

2) 2022 Jets currently have most cap space.

3) Watson salary jumps from 10 to 37 million.

3) Jets are only team currently with 2 first rounders in 2022.

4) By passing on rookie at #2 and trading back to say #7 or #8, you're picking up at least a 3rd first rounder.

In short, if Watson digs in and Texans hold firm and try to go into the season with him...it's pretty much a lock he's a Jet in 2022.  And in perfect world, Sam shows enough to pump up his value and we can tag and trade him.

One way or another...we're in a perfect spot for him as we control the draft.  Hopefully Texans will think this through and just decide to move forward ASAP.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Darnold and Jimmy G had like the same qbase score, 400ish for whatever that's worth 

is this two truths and a lie

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

That would frustrate me to no end....but it wouldn’t surprise me, Houston is a different world from NYC.

2 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

That would frustrate me to no end....but it wouldn’t surprise me, Houston is a different world from NYC.

It's not a Houston, NYC thing.  It's about who the owner and his pet Rasputin are down there.  What they aren't is football people.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, nycdan said:

It's not a Houston, NYC thing.  It's about who the owner and his pet Rasputin are down there.  What they aren't is football people.

In the NYC market you’d never see an organization include faith when evaluating talent the way the Texans organization currently does.  It’s been reported in Bienemy’s interview he told them he would want them to prioritize talent over this sort of stuff.  It plays in the Houston market because things are a little different culturally there.  Trust me I’ve spent a good amount of time in Houston.  It’s just different.