DESHAUN OFFICIALLY REQUESTS TRADE BABY

T0mShane

18 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Just an absolutely horrific argument. Aaron Rodgers went 6-9-1 in 2018.  I assume you were telling your friends that this Rodgers dude is not that good. 

And some of you are acting as if Watson has been a numbers guy his entire career but never took his team to the playoffs. The kid is  25 and has made the playoffs 2 out of 4 years. 

The two times he didn't were his rookie year (where he got hurt) and  this year when the Texans literally gave away their best weapon (Hopkins) and had one of the worst defenses including a comically bad secondary, giving up 30TD passes with just 3 INTs. 

So you need really good players such as hopkins and to not get hurt.

So who is hopkins for the jets?

How do we get a hopkins?

The jets defense is not the 85 bears.

This is the argument of the non 'Watson at all costs' people.

We get told why Houston won 4 games last year and then we are supposed to believe things will be vastly different with the jets when we are looking at a houston like no talent situation.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Damn, everyone gets their panties in such a bunch over Watson. All I’m saying is if you don’t build a team around a QB, they won’t win. Chill, that wasn’t in anyway a knock on Watson. You need to build a team, trading 4 first rounders makes it hard to build a team.

Just have to dig deeper for talent elsewhere

12 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What if it turns out we don’t have a legit chance to get one at #2 this year? I mean, what if - despite all the high hopes and film study and comparisons - from #2 onward the best of the bunch is just ok, and the rest aren’t even that? It would hardly be unprecedented. 

And to put it off for a year later, perhaps there is only 1 or even 2 such QBs; but one of them will go #1 and we’ve got no chance at him, and the other went much later like Prescott/similar, but after holding off on the position in 2021 and in FA in 2022 Douglas isn’t going to wait until rounds 4-6 to finally draft one. 

I’m not saying all that will happen. But this is the Jets so I’m saying that will happen. #getwatson

I agree with everything you have said - and I would be an advocate for trading for Watson although I am not in the "get him at any cost camp." 

My hang up is more on the belief that I think both Fields and Wilson are tremendous prospects, and obviously if they hit and are a top 10 guy - I believe it is easier to build around a QB that may not be as good as DW, with a subsidized contract and an additional 2-3 top draft picks. 

I'm curious if your line of thinking would change dramatically if we had the #1 pick? I think many people view TL as a surefire top 10 pick, and probably would be of the mindset that #1 for Watson is a no brainer but a package of picks or guys like QW on top of that would not be worth it. If the ultimate package is 2, 23, 34, next years 1 - would you do the same if #2 was #1/Trevor Lawrence? 

I was wrong on the QBs in 2018, and if you look at that hit rate (basically 50/50) - its a no brainer to forego #2 and a few other picks for a guy like DW, however if you believe with confidence that Wilson or Fields is your guy (and I'd guess thats what the Jets FO, a group of seasoned professionals who are likely staking their job on this QB) and will be a top 10 QB - I'd be curious if it would change your thought process? 

Screw the Texans wanting 3 first rounders. Like the GreenBeanster said, let Texans know they're dealing from a position of weakness, not power. Let them have their asset (Watson) sit out and depreciate his value. That No. 2 overall pick is worth A LOT! If the Texans think they're getting another two (2) first rounders on top of that No. 2 overall pick they're out of their holier than thou minds. If they don't like it, I'm trading down with someone and scooping up even more first round picks. The NY Jets have many more options to build a winner than the DESPERATE cap-strapped Texans with a DISGRUNTLED Deshaun Watson. Joe should offer them the No. 2 overall pick and a few quality generators  for their very unhappy quarterback and tell them to take it or leave it. The offer becomes less on the day of the draft. LoL

• Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

If the Texans trade him, they won’t be in a desperate spot.  They will have 20 plus teams competing.  They will get a minimum of 3 firsts

So be it. 

The NY Jets cannot afford to give up all that this team has too many holes to fill. 

Watson alone will not turn this team into a contender. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

If the Texans trade him, they won’t be in a desperate spot.  They will have 20 plus teams competing.  They will get a minimum of 3 firsts

Only a few of whom can offer premium 1st round picks. Chicago, Denver,, SF three #1 picks will be much less valuable than Jets #1 picks and I’m sure JD and Cessaria realize this. Jags and Miami only 2 teams comparable in draft value with the Jags having the best capital by far this year.

2 hours ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Damn, everyone gets their panties in such a bunch over Watson. All I’m saying is if you don’t build a team around a QB, they won’t win. Chill, that wasn’t in anyway a knock on Watson. You need to build a team, trading 4 first rounders makes it hard to build a team.

Just make good arguments and you won't get snarky responses.

And yeah, you don't need to be a genius to realize that no matter who you have at QB he needs a good supporting cast.

Has anyone come in here and said "we just need Watson and we can ignore the rest of the roster and win a super bowl!!!"? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

So you need really good players such as hopkins and to not get hurt.

So who is hopkins for the jets?

How do we get a hopkins?

The jets defense is not the 85 bears.

This is the argument of the non 'Watson at all costs' people.

We get told why Houston won 4 games last year and then we are supposed to believe things will be vastly different with the jets when we are looking at a houston like no talent situation.

This is great. The Texans receivers aren’t why they had a losing season and Hopkins isn’t the reason they won their division 2 years in a row. There is also an excellent free agent wr class this year. 

what is your plan to build a contender? 

19 minutes ago, chad2coles said:

This is great. The Texans receivers aren’t why they had a losing season and Hopkins isn’t the reason they won their division 2 years in a row. There is also an excellent free agent wr class this year. 

what is your plan to build a contender? 

The Jets have a lot of draft capital and with the #2 overall the ability to add a lot by trading back.

Build the team and add draft assets for next year.

Any QB we add in a year or two more is going to a team with a lot less holes than the jets have now and that usually means success.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't consider Watson throwing it away. He'd be the best QB in team history. 

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/ny-deshaun-watson-dolphins-jets-20210130-77mhd2ro55h7ngpcxwztw35w2y-story.html

Imagine how much more difficult Robert Saleh’s Jets rebuild will become if Deshaun Watson gets traded to the Miami Dolphins.

If Dolphins GM Chris Grier acquires Watson from the Houston Texans, the AFC East for the foreseeable future will look like this:

Josh Allen, 24, and the Buffalo Bills. Watson, 25, and the Miami Dolphins. Bill Belichick, a mystery quarterback, and the New England Patriots. Sam Darnold, 23, or a rookie quarterback and the Jets.

This is the motivation for the Jets to win the Watson sweepstakes beyond simply acquiring a great player at the sport’s most important position: their biggest contender for the Texans’ quarterback might be in their own division.

PAID POST

What Is This?

Watson has a no trade clause and reportedly has eyes for South Beach. There is no state income tax in Florida, and Brian Flores’ team has quickly become a formidable AFC foe.

Just one year after a roster tank, the Dolphins suddenly were 10-6 and only a quarterback away from being a clear playoff team in 2020.

The Jets should do everything in their power to chase after Deshaun Watson now that he has made it clear he wants out of Houston.
The Jets should do everything in their power to chase after Deshaun Watson now that he has made it clear he wants out of Houston. (Adam Hunger/AP)

The Carolina Panthers also are considered serious suitors. The San Francisco 49ers are seeking a QB upgrade, too, as are the Patriots, Denver Broncos, Indianapolis Colts, Washington, L.A. Rams, and more.

But the reality is that the Jets and the Dolphins have what the Texans would most want in a blockbuster trade package: a top-three pick in this year’s draft.

The Jets have picks No. 2 and 23 in this year’s first round, and four total picks in the top 66 of the draft. The Dolphins have picks No. 3 and 18 in the first round and four total picks in the top 50. Their No. 3 and 36 overall picks are both Texans draft choices that former coach Bill O’Brien traded to Miami.

The Texans may command a record trade haul that could include three first-round picks plus players, if not more. The Jets and Dolphins each having a second first-rounder in April’s draft could help those teams part with their top-three pick and still have an asset of their own.

One Jets advantage is that Watson reportedly asked the Texans to interview Saleh for their head coaching vacancy before he was hired in New York. He may want to play for him in green.

And Saleh, though he has been complimentary of Darnold, has gone out of his way to keep all of his options open, to insist the Jets will look into anything that can make their team better.

Woody Johnson’s return as owner makes it more likely the Jets will go big for Watson, too. This is the man who brought in Brett Favre and Tim Tebow. Woody won’t be shy.

The Dolphins have more than just better weather and tax laws, though: they also appear ready to contend with Watson. The Jets are still incomplete and years away.

Miami seems poised to win, and they have to know — regardless of what they say publicly — that they can’t sit on their hands with Tua Tagovailoa as their starter.

Granted, new Texans GM Nick Caserio and coach David Culley talked tough at Friday’s press conference, saying they have no interest in dealing their superstar QB. But Watson clearly is finished with the organization, and it is only a matter of time before a deal happens.

Given that reality, here is what the 2021 AFC East will look like if the Jets lose the Watson sweepstakes to the Dolphins:

- Allen and the reigning division champion Bills, coming off a 13-3 season, averaging 31.3 points per game, having played in the 2020 AFC Championship Game.

- Watson and the Dolphins: coming off a 10-6 season, just missing the playoffs, and now adding the NFL’s passing yards leader in 2020.

- The Patriots, coming off a 7-9 season but what, are you going to bet against them two years in a row?

- And the Jets: trying to rise from the ashes of a 2-14 season with a new coach and maybe a new rookie QB.

This is why the Jets have to go big for Watson. They can’t lose him inside their division. They would never live it down.

Edited by 32EBoozer
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Man, this is such a rare opportunity. This is like being in Applebee’s in midtown one night and Rihanna—for some weird fucjing reason—is there and she decides she wants to bang you, but you only have that thirty seconds to decide what to do. Sure, your wife will divorce you and, yeah, your kids are outside in the car waiting for you to come back with the to-go order, and you’re parked in a handicap spot with the engine running, but on the other hand it’s Rihanna and you will never, ever, EVER get this kind of opportunity again. There really is no choice to be made when fate calls you home

Absolutely no way Rihanna is worth 4 first round picks, especially when one of them is the 2nd overall pick.....ffs when will you get this!?....what has Rihanna done since Umberella-Ella-Ella anyway!?

zackly....

....now, if Naomie Harris decides to hold out and demands a trade, ok get back to me

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Just make good arguments and you won't get snarky responses.

And yeah, you don't need to be a genius to realize that no matter who you have at QB he needs a good supporting cast.

Has anyone come in here and said "we just need Watson and we can ignore the rest of the roster and win a super bowl!!!"? 

Um, when you are willing to trade 3-4 1st round picks including 2 overall, AND pay 40m per, that’s exactly what your saying.

10 hours ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

If Watson was so valuable by himself, the titans wouldn’t have gone 4-12 this year. Sorry. And I strongly disagree with the premise that he doesn’t absolutely debilitate our chances of building a competent roster with what it takes to get him plus his cost. Plus being the operative word there.

If the Texans weren't such a dumpster fire, they'd have won a lot of games in 2020.  Just like they did in 2018 and 2019 with Watson under center, when they won back to back division titles and a playoff game.

The 4-12 argument is so friggin tired and false its not even worthwhile to dismantle it, yet again.  Do better.

And what's with the QB not being, essentially, not part of the roster when it comes to this discussion?  The biggest reason the Jets haven't made the postseason in 10 years has been horrid QB play.  The closest we came was in 2015, with a competent veteran under center, not a draft pick.  You can't have a competent roster without a competent QB.  Fields might be it.  Chances are fairly strong he won't be.  

3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

lol people really forget just how good Namath was

Can you blame them?  Most Jets fans in franchise history never saw him play.  Not many.  Most.  Because of how long ago it was.  Including me.  It would take 17 years after SB III for me to be born.  

Hence why it's so incredibly weird that a substantial number of Jets fans are so against the idea of giving up 3 (give or take) 1st round picks for an elite, young QB.  Something the franchise hasn't had for over 50 years. 

14 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Um, when you are willing to trade 3-4 1st round picks including 2 overall, AND pay 40m per, that’s exactly what your saying.

Again, it wouldn't be $40M per.  It would be a little over $29M per.  If you're going to keep repeating the silly money argument, at least get the number correct.  

The Jets have the 2nd most cap space in the league.  Absorbing less than $30M per would be fairly easy to do without sacrificing paying other talent.  Watson's remaining contract would rank about 9th-10th highest among the top paid QB's in the league (and would drop as other QB's, such as Josh Allen get paid more).  That's very reasonable.  

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Absolutely no way Rihanna is worth 4 first round picks, especially when one of them is the 2nd overall pick.....ffs when will you get this!?....what has Rihanna done since Umberella-Ella-Ella anyway!?

zackly....

....now, if Naomie Harris decides to hold out and demands a trade, ok get back to me

You are clearly insane sir

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If the Texans weren't such a dumpster fire, they'd have won a lot of games in 2020.  Just like they did in 2018 and 2019 with Watson under center, when they won back to back division titles and a playoff game.

The 4-12 argument is so friggin tired and false its not even worthwhile to dismantle it, yet again.  Do better.

And what's with the QB not being, essentially, not part of the roster when it comes to this discussion?  The biggest reason the Jets haven't made the postseason in 10 years has been horrid QB play.  The closest we came was in 2015, with a competent veteran under center, not a draft pick.  You can't have a competent roster without a competent QB.  Fields might be it.  Chances are fairly strong he won't be.  

You struggle with the concept of needing both a qb and a strong team around him. Do better

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Again, it wouldn't be $40M per.  It would be a little over $29M per.  If you're going to keep repeating the silly money argument, at least get the number correct.  

The Jets have the 2nd most cap space in the league.  Absorbing less than $30M per would be fairly easy to do without sacrificing paying other talent.  Watson's remaining contract would rank about 9th-10th highest among the top paid QB's in the league (and would drop as other QB's, such as Josh Allen get paid more).  That's very reasonable.  

The silly number argument? Like, that silly little cap that doesn’t matter? that’s the avg, next year it’s 19, they aren’t competing next year, when it matters its 40. Do much better

• Thumb Down 2

The Texans can take #2 overall OR the two Seattle first rounders. This talk of three first rounders including #2 overall is complete nonsense.

If I am Douglas, I take my chances with Wilson/Fields, the extra picks, and $100m extra in cap space to build this team the right way.

Douglas has been setting up for this moment since he walked in the door. He's not going to give it all up for 1 player, no matter how good.

Personally, I like Watson but I think some on this board are way overrating him. He has more ACL tears than playoff victories in his career thus far.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

If I am Douglas, I take my chances with Wilson/Fields, the extra picks, and $100m extra in cap space to build this team the right way.

Thankfully JD cares about winning and taking as few chances as possible.
Fact: Watson=Top 5 Qb. Already successful at the Pro level on a team lacking talent. Has playoff experience  

Fact: You can’t foresee success from a college Qb taking on NFL level challenges. You can only hope and try your best to give him opportunities to succeed. 

One FQb in the hand is worth two #1 picks and Darnold or Fields/Wilson + #23

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

People like to say Watson lost his best WR and still dominated. He did great. But take a look at Brandin Cooks career numbers. I’d argue they are top 5 in the league in the last 5 years,  easy 

Watson has never had a season without a top flight bonafide number 1 receiver. That doesn’t make him bad, but it helps a lot. Also, if you look at Hopkins and cooks, I don’t see them having gotten better with Watson, they were largely the same guy before and with Watson 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

You struggle with the concept of needing both a qb and a strong team around him. Do better

You struggle with the concept that without a QB, having a great roster barely matters.  And that Justin Fields is far from a guarantee to be "that guy". 

With how difficult it is to find one, you get the sure thing the rare time it comes available, and worry about the rest of the roster later.

• Sympathy 1