Who will the 3rd tight end be next season?

Maxman

I am tired of talking about Watson and Darnold. Until we know what is going on I am going to focus on the 3rd tight end spot.

I see a new starter being acquired. Herndon back as the # 2 guy. But I can't sleep over the battle for the # 3 roster spot at tight end?

Who you got?

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I am tired of talking about Watson and Darnold. Until we know what is going on I am going to focus on the 3rd tight end spot.

I see a new starter being acquired. Herndon back as the # 2 guy. But I can't sleep over the battle for the # 3 roster spot at tight end?

Who you got?

Quest is why do we have so many...could we just have two. The main guy and the back up

52 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Quest is why do we have so many...could we just have two. The main guy and the back up

29 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I think it makes sense to keep Wesco around since he can play FB and the offense will probably call for one.

If you guys are going to answer this thread seriously none of this is going to work out lol.

Actually I don't see how they can go with Herndon, Griffin and Wesco.  Herndon has the most upside and a low cap #. So I wonder if Griffin would get cut. That 10 million dollar deal seemed weird for a 6 game hot streak. But the cap # is low so they will probably go draft pick, plus the 3 above and work it out in camp.

Just looked up Wesco's #s again and damn Gase couldn't figure anything out here ugh.  The bring them all to camp and let the new staff approach is probably going to be the plan.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Nixhead said:

Yeah I remember Mulligan. Didn’t he have some horrible dropped passes or fumbles that cost a decent Jets teams a few games? I remember some kinda mulligan from him but can’t put my finder on it. 

Mulligan was 10 freaking years ago!! Holy moly!! Seems like yesterday.  He was a good blocker,  not good at the catching of passes. ? 

Ryan Griffin needs to be restructured to the veteran minimum or released.  He is 31 years old, has no upside and isnt even good.

Trevon Wesco is one of the many players who we have no idea what he can do as Gase didnt use his starting TE let alone any backups.  He has been an excellent blocker but instead of playing inline TE, he has been used as a hybrid FB at 260lbs, which isnt smart.  What Id love to see is him to try to play around 250 and see if his athleticism can make a jump and he can be used as a blocking TE with upside.

• Upvote 2

Just now, BCJet said:

Ryan Griffin needs to be restructured to the veteran minimum or released.  He is 31 years old, has no upside and isnt even good.

Trevon Wesco is one of the many players who we have no idea what he can do as Gase didnt use his starting TE let alone any backups.  He has been an excellent blocker but instead of playing inline TE, he has been used as a hybrid FB at 260lbs, which isnt smart.  What Id love to see is him to try to play around 250 and see if his athleticism can make a jump and he can be used as a blocking TE with upside.

We have 0.0 at the TE position.  If Pitts is there at 23 he’s pretty much a no brainer

• Upvote 1

Exactly I think we need a #1 TE 
Herndon has a lot to prove and should remain on the roster. 
Griffin may have been that 1 year wonder. 
The TE position needs to be upgraded in 2021. 

We have the # 1 TE already his name is Chris Herndon. Face it fans, Gase didn’t have a clue how to play his TE’s. Chris was kept in the line the majority of the time last year to block and protect Sam. He was not allow to run routes enough to stay proficient and get into a strong rhythm with Sam. Which accounts for many of his drops and awkwardness that we saw. Again, as a Canes fan I watch this kid develop in Mia and he was a beast and can be here if he is coached correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

Who you got?

Good. Let's talk about something else ,lol.

I disagree. I think Jet brass is quite high on Herndon and always has been. From a fan perspective it seems like he has been held back by Gase (despite the drops and missed time- which are obviously not Gase's fault). Herndon seems to be the type of player that gets better when he is targeted regularly and hen you involve him in the offense. For some reason Gase/Darnold did not do that. I think in LaFleur's system will benefit Herndon greatly and he will be the starter. I think they will get #2 TE in FA and DRAFT a developmental TE later on in the draft who will be that #3 guy. 

Now, there are a couple of other things to keep an eye on. R.Griffin, due to injury, looks like a shell of what he used to be. I would just cut him. But his contract is very much team-friendly. Does LaFleur and Saleh think they can get more out of him and want to keep him around? Also, what about Wesco? He's technically a TE but he currently fills that H-back or even FB role. That's a position LaFleur likes to utilize. Will the Jets go out and find a new FB they are more comfortable with? or do they like Wesco? Then there are the back-end roster guys. The Jets have Brown, Davis and Travis. These are all big athletic receiving TE's. My personal opinion is that they don't make the team. But who knows. Davis is a complete mystery journeyman. Brown made the team last year. Travis is another question-mark.  

So while TO ME the easy answer is that Herndon remains as the starter, the Jets bring in a vet FA as a backup and draft a developmental TE for the future, there's a lot of guys already on the roster that they will be looking closely at to determine what makes the most sense. 

54 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Maybe. Or it could be a young player putting it together late under Gase 

Could be, and I certainly hope so.  But some really ugly drops with nobody around him transcend the offensive system and coaching.

Herndon still seems like he could be a complete boom or bust.  Crazy that after three seasons there's still such a variety of opinions on him and what he can be.  Kinda like Darnold. You've got some people who want to ship him off quickly and then other NFL teams looking at him as their potential starter of the future.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Could be, and I certainly hope so.  But some really ugly drops with nobody around him transcend the offensive system and coaching.

Herndon still seems like he could be a complete boom or bust.  Crazy that after three seasons there's still such a variety of opinions on him and what he can be.  Kinda like Darnold. You've got some people who want to ship him off quickly and then other NFL teams looking at him as their potential starter of the future.

Are the NY Jets a farm system for all players that might get good. 

Meanwhile we finish  2-14 and haven't made the playoffs in 10 years. 

I like Herndon but we still need to acquire a decent TE.