Sam Darnold is tough sell for a 2nd round pick.

4 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Imagine Josh Allen playing with the roster we gave Darnold. What do you think that tape looks like?

There’s no way to know. It’s a hypothetical. At the end of the day, you are asking a team to believe in Sam after 38 starts of consistently poor QB play in the NFL. I’m sure some GMs will be interested at some price, but he’s not the promising rookie you guys pretend he is anymore. He’s damaged goods. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

yeah because bill parcels was a HOF TE, and bill bellicheck was a HOF center right? former QB's Chris Simms and Dan Orlovsky both think the jets can win with Darnold, but "Patriot Killa" the message board poster thinks they sucked as players so they cant know anything about football.

Funny thing is - mostly every former Player suck just as much as I do at evaluating QB talent. Mike Maccaggann was an NFL GM was he good? If those guys were so good, you’d see them in GM chairs, you’d see more FQB picks and less QB busts. Parcels had 4 first round picks before and passed on two hall of fame players. Bill Belicheck is a known disaster in the draft and has been for many years now. Dan Orlassey or whatever, is in love with Darnold’s traits and nothing else. Traits alone doesn’t get it done but he’s paid to talk wild so he does it comfortably.

again, “Patriot Killa”, the message board poster, will be here, all day, all day longggg, on draft night to collect your tears in a bucket after we draft Zach Wilson #2 overall. Have those tear ducts ready for me.

• Haha 3

Just now, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.  If JD takes a QB at 2, then I could see Sam moved that night or the following the day. 

if douglas hasn't traded darnold by the time he drafts wilson, he probably is best off trading him for a 2022 pick since that's more likely to be a 3rd rounder than what he's gonna get in 2021.

12 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Imagine Josh Allen playing with the roster we gave Darnold. What do you think that tape looks like?

Josh Allen is both significantly better than a lot of us thought he'd be, and also not nearly as good as he's made out to be.

But, more specifically to this point, Allen does two things well - he has two skillsets to build around:

1) Favre+ arm

2) Dangerous runner

So, the Bills have been able to mask his deficiencies and utilize his strengths.  After 3 years, Sam Darnold has no absolute strengths.  None.  There's nothing about his game that is better than average, and his mental acuity for the game is below average.  He's got nothing to highlight while you try to mask the negatives.  Him and Allen are totally different players.

Just now, Augustiniak said:

if douglas hasn't traded darnold by the time he drafts wilson, he probably is best off trading him for a 2022 pick since that's more likely to be a 3rd rounder than what he's gonna get in 2021.

Maybe.  He can hang onto him into camp and see if any teams sustain injuries to their QBs during camp.  

7 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

There’s no way to know. It’s a hypothetical. At the end of the day, you are asking a team to believe in Sam after 38 starts of consistently poor QB play in the NFL. I’m sure some GMs will be interested at some price, but he’s not the promising rookie you guys pretend he is anymore. He’s damaged goods. 

Out of one side of the mouth:

The draft is a crap shoot.

Out of the other:

38 games of poor play is excusable and we need to focus on what made him a good draft prospect.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

Maybe.  He can hang onto him into camp and see if any teams sustain injuries to their QBs during camp.  

i doubt darnold stays on the jets past the draft.  regardless of what they say about darnold, they're changing the culture and the last thing they need for zach wilson is to have him compete for the locker room in May minicamp.  darnold will be gone one way or another, they'll sign someone like mullins, and darnold will hold a clipboard for most of 2021 unless there's injuries.  

You keep him! **** the 3rd or 4th round pick. Keep him and hopefully we end up having a good problem on our hands. 

I’ve been saying this for months. Keep him AND draft Wilson. We’ll probably get some form of a comp. pick anyway if we lose him after next season so we should keep him. 

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

Out of one side of the mouth:

The draft is a crap shoot.

Out of the other:

38 games of poor play is excusable and we need to focus on what made him a good draft prospect.

even as a promising rookie he had bad habits that were plainly identified while he was at USC.  darnold is the same qb he's always been and the main problem was that his freelancing abilities were so overhyped while all his mechanical flaws and the mental aspects of his game were downplayed and assumed to be rather easily correctable.  if there's a takeaway, it's that guys like wilson and burrow are more prepared for the nfl and it's important to know the system you're going to put them into and provide them with the proper pieces right away so they don't wilt and become reclamation projects by year 3.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Ghost said:

You keep him! **** the 3rd or 4th round pick. Keep him and hopefully we end up having a good problem on our hands. 

I’ve been saying this for months. Keep him AND draft Wilson. We’ll probably get some form of a comp. pick anyway if we lose him after next season so we should keep him. 

Even if you can get a late 4th round pick for Sam it’s better than waiting on any potential comp pick in 2023.  

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Is this true?

I would have thought by declining the option, we wouldn't be in the same pool for a comp pick.

Yeah this loophole was closed. (Remember NE giving Revis a 2-year contract, and spread his signing bonus over 2 years, but then said, "Oh no-no-no, this was really a 1 year contract with a 2nd year option at some phony $25MM, and by the way we're now declining that option and will take a 3rd round comp pick next year instead, ha ha ha." -- yeah they don't allow that anymore).

Even under that ridiculous old rule, the further problem with the logic is that independent of when the comp pick arrives - significant as it is for them to be 2 years apart - it's not even going to be in the same round number. Darnold's likely comp pick would be a 6th or maybe a 5th rounder at this stage, and if it was so much higher the Jets wouldn't simply let him go for relatively nothing; they'd tag him at a minimum.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

even as a promising rookie he had bad habits that were plainly identified while he was at USC.  darnold is the same qb he's always been and the main problem was that his freelancing abilities were so overhyped while all his mechanical flaws and the mental aspects of his game were downplayed and assumed to be rather easily correctable.  if there's a takeaway, it's that guys like wilson and burrow are more prepared for the nfl and it's important to know the system you're going to put them into and provide them with the proper pieces right away so they don't wilt and become reclamation projects by year 3.

He wasn't even a promising rookie.  He was bad, got hurt, and then was good in 2 games (of 4) at the end of the season, but because they were after the injury and at the end of the season, there was room for a narrative based on improvement, rather than outliers.

But yes, he was a mess then too.  Decent athlete with no fundamentals, who figured out that being QB at USC was a way to get rich quick, and put on a hell of a show at the right time.

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Ok, so taking a 3rd for him would be “absurd” but you can see him getting traded for a second? 

No I said the least I'd take is a 2nd.  You can get a 3rd round comp pick for letting him walk.

What I prefer is trading back with Atl or Car and running it back.

Jury is still out on what ultimately happens.

2 minutes ago, Pac said:

No I said the least I'd take is a 2nd.  You can get a 3rd round comp pick for letting him walk.

What I prefer is trading back with Atl or Car and running it back.

Jury is still out on what ultimately happens.

But if you would take a 2nd, a 3rd isn’t absurd. 

Also - as many other posters have pointed out by now - we won’t be getting a 3rd round comp pick for him. It will be considerably lower. 

It’s like you guys think it’s still September 2019. Sam has played 38 games in the league. He’s a reclamation project. 

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

But if you would take a 2nd, a 3rd isn’t absurd. 

Also - as many other posters have pointed out by now - we won’t be getting a 3rd round comp pick for him. It will be considerably lower. 

It’s like you guys think it’s still September 2019. Sam has played 38 games in the league. He’s a reclamation project. 

I wouldn't take a 2nd..  I wouldn't trade him, I'd trade the 2nd pick.

I'm just saying if a trade is made it can't and won't be for a single 3rd.