Jimmy Sexton's influence on the Jets

Just now, mfmartin said:

Adam Gase was also represented by the same agency and he is gone. Also, there were plenty of people that Douglas could have hired that he had previous connections with, but he chose Saleh because that is what is best for the team. Douglas will do what is best for the team.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I hope you are right. I think Gase agreed to leave though...everyone knew that was too toxic to keep going. He got his last HC pay day and left happy and rich.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

If anything it will be beneficial to Sam and Sexton to get Sam out of here.

Keeping him here, the first 3 & out the whole fan base and media will be out to destroy Sam.

You think Sanchez had a rough ending here? You ain’t seen nothing yet.

Let him move on and regroup and build his career.

Very true.  If the jets keep darnold and Wilson becomes a star, darnold will be hated here forever as will douglas.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

It's been well documented that Joe Douglas and Sam Darnold both employ Sexton as their representation. Thoughts on how much influence this could potentially have at 2?

Just total gut feeling that the Jets are not locked into a QB at 2 and there's some serious internal (and external push) to keep Darnold. This would obviously be bad and a total conflict of interest...but also worth noting that the two big signings the Jets made this offseason - (Davis and Lawson) are both represented by the same agency as Darnold and Douglas. Maybe we need to connect the dots? 

Literally none.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

You don’t trade back until you’re in the clock.

It’s pretty simple. If the Jets have Wilson head and shoulders above Darnold or fields they won’t trade down. If they want Wilson but there isn’t that much daylight between the QBs they may trade out if BLOWN AWAY by an offer. Just remember what Miami got before considering what that deal (from Carolina or perhaps even the bears) would have to look like. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

It's been well documented that Joe Douglas and Sam Darnold both employ Sexton as their representation. Thoughts on how much influence this could potentially have at 2?

Just total gut feeling that the Jets are not locked into a QB at 2 and there's some serious internal (and external push) to keep Darnold. This would obviously be bad and a total conflict of interest...but also worth noting that the two big signings the Jets made this offseason - (Davis and Lawson) are both represented by the same agency as Darnold and Douglas. Maybe we need to connect the dots? 

Ironically Rich was just asked about this during his latest podcast:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/flight-deck-with-rich-cimini/id1466085257

2 minutes ago, slats said:

His career is at risk if/when he does anything unethical, which is what you're suggesting here. Joe Douglas is still a young man with a bright future, he's not gonna **** that up by favoring another one of his agent's clients over the best interests of the football team (read: his career). 

I know you are not this naive.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

If Sexton had his way, what would be the move here? I’d guess it’d be getting Darnold paid, then traded? I think @football guy posited this at one point—the Jets give Darnold three years at $18 mil per, removing the urgency of the fifth year option at lesser cost, and then giving him the chance to either recover here, or go somewhere else where the new team doesn’t have to pay him right away.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I seriously doubt this. Sexton should be happy if Darnold gets off this team, so should Darnold. 

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, slats said:

His career is at risk if/when he does anything unethical, which is what you're suggesting here. Joe Douglas is still a young man with a bright future, he's not gonna **** that up by favoring another one of his agent's clients over the best interests of the football team (read: his career). 

I would imagine 50% of a GM’s job is cultivating relationships with agents, though.

Or maybe we just have a bunch of his clients because hes the top agent in football and represents a ton of players and coaches. I know that’s probably crazy though. Lets go with your take that he’s secretly running the franchise. Jimmy Sexton is a reptilian confirmed 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Word? What was his response.

Listener question: something along the lines of Jimmy Sexton involvement being underrated

Rich response: “Yea it could potentially have some type of influence on the decision” 

something along those lines not the exact quotes though 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The dots we as fans and as a team need to connect is that we probably(as long as it doesn't cause any strife like splitting the locker room and hurting the team) is in reality just take Wilson at 2 and keep Darnold. Even getting a draft pick which is day 2 or less for Darnold isn't worth not having one or the other of these QBs be what we need long term. Doesn't matter which, we just nee a very good QB under center.

• Sympathy 1

35 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I hope you are right. I think Gase agreed to leave though...everyone knew that was too toxic to keep going. He got his last HC pay day and left happy and rich.

Adam Gase agreeing to leave

Gase: Hi CJ. What's up?

CJ: You're fired

Gase: OK, but can I stay for Gore's retirement  party?

I would say none. Why do people act like agents are sith lords? They do as they are told not the other way around. They aren't in charge of anything. Joe Douglas will make choices based on his team's wants and needs not his agent's. Unless someone wants to make the case that Sexton is going to drop JD as a client for not taking orders which sounds silly doesn't it since JD will just hire a new agent. Agents are greedy little pigs waiting at the trough to get fed nothing more.

• Upvote 1