Jimmy Sexton's influence on the Jets

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

If Sexton had his way, what would be the move here? I’d guess it’d be getting Darnold paid, then traded? I think @football guy posited this at one point—the Jets give Darnold three years at $18 mil per, removing the urgency of the fifth year option at lesser cost, and then giving him the chance to either recover here, or go somewhere else where the new team doesn’t have to pay him right away.

A lot of it would be “phony money”—Unguaranteed after a year, but pays him the option money and spreads it out over final 2-years if he were to get cut. If he were succeed, then whatever team he plays for has a decent contract for 2 years 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Some of you guys are just delusional about Sam. I'm sorry. 

Fitz was 8000 times better than Sam last year. Any team bringing in Sam is bringing him in with the hope of developing his raw talent to help him reach his potential. He's damaged goods right now. The best he can hope for is a QB competition. Nobody is watching Sam's 2020 tape and thinking "Yep, that's our starter next year." The best he can hope for is that they see the physical talent and want a shot at developing it. 

That is what I am saying. Whoever ot was I was discussing this with was saying Sam will be brought in as a backup. IOWs the same capacity  Flacco was brought in last year. They will bring him in as a starter. Nobody is saying he is going to start regardless of how he plays. 

48 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I mean, Sam Bradford is so much better than any QB we've drafted in my lifetime.... so..................

Plus, I always wonder what a guy like Bradford thinks about the pot shots fans take at him for not playing up to his status as a #1 overall pick. The guy retired at the age of 30 after a 9 year NFL career and over $130 million in career earnings.  And many fans consider his career a punch line. Weird. It is hard to imagine he has any regrets.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, More Cowbell said:

That is what I am saying. Whoever ot was I was discussing this with was saying Sam will be brought in as a backup. IOWs the same capacity  Flacco was brought in last year. They will bring him in as a starter. Nobody is saying he is going to start regardless of how he plays. 

Right. I know. We still disagree. 

I think the team that brings Sam in brings him in as a cheap developmental prospect (i.e. backup) or an alternative to a current starter if things go south (i.e. backup). I think the best he can hope for is a chance to compete for a starting job, and more than likely, he won't be a starting QB next year. 

I think it's honestly preposterous that Douglas would make any decision based on the best interest of Jimmy Sexton's clients rather than building his team the best way he can -- let alone the single most important decision he'll likely ever make in his chosen field.

Like, I think people who think Coaches or GMs operate this way are very far removed from how these sorts of personalities operate. They aren't in it to grab some guaranteed money, take kickbacks, suck and middle for the rest of their careers. They're in an executive role in one of the most competitive industries in the world. They're in it to win.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think it's honestly preposterous that Douglas would make any decision based on the best interest of Jimmy Sexton's clients rather than building his team the best way he can -- let alone the single most important decision he'll likely ever make in his chosen field.

Like, I think people who think Coaches or GMs operate this way are very far removed from how these sorts of personalities operate. They aren't in it to grab some guaranteed money, take kickbacks, suck and middle for the rest of their careers. They're in an executive role in one of the most competitive industries in the world. They're in it to win.

Do you think Woody and Chris go to bed at night worried about the Jets sucking?

13 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

If anything it will be beneficial to Sam and Sexton to get Sam out of here.

Keeping him here, the first 3 & out the whole fan base and media will be out to destroy Sam.

You think Sanchez had a rough ending here? You ain’t seen nothing yet.

Let him move on and regroup and build his career.

then give him three high percentage passes to start. That'll show us! 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Warfish said:

I think that just like Sanchez, and Geno, Darnold will not be an NFL starting QB when he first leaves the Jets. 

He will have to go in somewhere else as a backup to start with.

No, no. Teams will be much more confident in putting the full weight of their franchises in Darnold than in Trubisky, Mariota, Tannehill, and any number of other former high-pick letdowns who actually had some decent seasons. 

Remember when teams were falling all over Joey Harrington because he didn’t get a fair shake in Detroit? Of course you do, of course you do.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

This is legitimately one of the most thought-provoking questions ever posted here.  Everyone here should read that question to themselves slowly 3 times in a row and think about it.

I hate the answer I'd give.  It makes me wonder why I seem to care more than the guys who own the team.

We're back to this, believing that just to do his agent a favor Douglas risks his teams future and his future by signing a player he thinks is inferior.  A player who will cost JDs teams wins, etc.

Because thats how people like Douglas operate, how they get to their positions.

• Haha 1

I think you are on to something. Jimmy Sexton represents Nick Saban who is the head coach of Alabama. Mac Jones happened to be the QB of Alabama last year. Coincidence? I think not.

With the 2nd pick in the 2021 NFL draft, the New York Jets select

Mac Jones, QB Alabama

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

We're back to this, believing that just to do his agent a favor Douglas risks his teams future and his future by signing a player he thinks is inferior.  A player who will cost JDs teams wins, etc.

Because thats how people like Douglas operate.

He's got plausible deniability baked in as many here will defend bringing back Darnold anyways. Like yourself for example.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

He's got plausible deniability baked in as many here will defend bringing back Darnold anyways. Like yourself for example.

The conspiracy theory doesnt make sense.  JDs not risking his career to do his agent a favor.  

I havent defended bringing back Darnold, Ive said all along Wilson or Fields and move on.  

Stop trying to defend this ridiculous theory by trying to bring what you think I'd defend or have said.  

18 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Does it keep them up at night? Probably not. But I think they want to win and recognize sucking consistently is hurting their bottom line.

That's the whole reason they hired Douglas and gave him his huge six year deal -- they want to get it right and fix the team.

My comment is about the coaches and personnel men who do this though -- I think you'd be laughed out of any war room in the NFL suggesting a GM would make a decision on their QB of the future based on their agent. It's just a preposterous theory.

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

I was never with you on this, but I also never understood people who dismissed it out of hand. The Jets have done far dumber stuff for far dumber reasons

I was never in on it, I just felt it was worth noting. Why some get bent out of shape over sportsball chatter I’ll never get.