Darnold to the Panthers

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

You're really strengthening your credibility every time you refer to a 2, 4, and 6 as "pocket lint" for the NFL's 36th-ranked QB.  

It's a 2 next year yes? Typically valued as a 3, all for what?  So zackyboy doesnt have to have a qb competition again?

And you trying to argue that this trade has nothing to do with who he is marrying at 1.2 fapped your credibility out the window hours ago.

2 minutes ago, CTM said:

It's a 2 next year yes? Typically valued as a 3, all for what?  So zackyboy doesnt have to have a qb competition again?

And you trying to argue that this trade has nothing to do with who he is marrying at 1.2 fapped your credibility out the window hours ago.

He was already likely married to Wilson whether he made this trade today or not, you psycho.  

And 2022 draft picks are a better bet than 2021 in many ways due to the farce of a 2020 college season.  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I didn’t say that. 

I was hoping for a 2 this year from Carolina or SF or Bears or Pitt or Atl or Indy or Seattle or another team with an unsettled QB situation. 

JD missed out when all the seats were taken. 

A 2 next year is not a 2 this year especially with how talented this draft it. 

It is what it is, was going for a bit more. 

A 2nd is good regardless what year it is. This whole “2nd this year is more valuable than next year” doesn’t hold weight with the Jets cause we’ll still be in rebuild mode next year as well

11 minutes ago, CTM said:

It's not really Darnold vs Wilson. It's what ever the package the niners gave up + darnold + a little more for 1.2 vs Wilson + pocket lint 

I'm comfortable with that gamble, because if Wilson is somehow an above average NFL QB, then Wilson wins that matchup every time.

The other thing with the "package" is that most of the juicy picks we would have gotten from a trade down would have been in 2022 and 2023 (e.g. The SF deal). I'm sorry, but passing on a QB at #2 overall to watch Sam for year 4 wouldn't have excited me unless I was getting much (much) more help this year. I'm not convinced the ideal massive haul that everyone is obsessed with on this board was actually out there. (The SF deal would not have interested me)

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He was already likely married to Wilson whether he made this trade today or not, you psycho.  

Thats entirely the point you derp. I'm reacting to the fact that this means they are indeed sold on Wilson.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And 2022 draft picks are a better bet than 2021 in many ways due to the farce of a 2020 college season.  

Yes so seems like the perfect year to draft a one hit wonder who apparently didn't even enter training camp as the starter + has injury history

How silly of me, Douglass is a genuis

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rhg1084 said:

A 2nd is good regardless what year it is. This whole “2nd this year is more valuable than next year” doesn’t hold weight with the Jets cause we’ll still be in rebuild mode next year as well

Still missing my point but thanks for playing. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sadly, I live in NC, so I might not be able to avoid it.  

I'm thinking of relocating to NC from FL in the next few years. vaca'ed there a few times and loved it. S. FL kinda sucks. I have to wait for a few things to happen first.

• Upvote 1

Just now, slimjasi said:

I'm comfortable with that gamble, because If Wilson is somehow an above average NFL QB, then Wilson wins that matchup every time.

The other thing with the "package" is that most of the juicy picks we would have gotten from a trade down would have been in 2022 and 2023 (e.g. The SF deal). I'm sorry, but passing on a QB at #2 overall to watch Sam for year 4 wouldn't have excited me unless I was getting much (much) more help this year. I'm not convinced the ideal massive haul that everyone is obsessed with on this board was actually out there. (The SF deal would not have interested me)

Hey that's fine. I think WIlson is a bust in the making. Atleast you are acknowleding that the 2 things are related. This means they didn't entertain trade downs because they got thier guy at 2. 

My preference was to trade back and grab whatever qb was left standing (hopefully fields)

1 minute ago, CTM said:

Thats entirely the point you derp. I'm reacting to the fact that this means they are indeed sold on Wilson.

Yes so seems like the perfect year to draft a one hit wonder who apparently didn't even enter training camp as the starter + has injury history

How silly of me, Douglass is a genuis

There really aren't great rules for this stuff.  We always try to put guys into boxes but it's not that simple. 

Joe Burrow was a "one year wonder". Until he wasn't. 

You couldn't draft a QB from Texas Tech. Until you could. 

You couldn't draft a sub 60% completion guy from Wyoming. Until you could. 

If the Jets like Wilson, they are going to take him. These teams all evaluate the individual - which includes all physical and mental/psychological traits - and make an educated guess. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, CTM said:

Hey that's fine. I think WIlson is a bust in the making. Atleast you are acknowleding that the 2 things are related. This means they didn't entertain trade downs because they got thier guy at 2. 

My preference was to trade back and grab whatever qb was left standing (hopefully fields)

Well, I'd still like to take Fields at 2 . . . 

20 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

We will look back on Sam like he was a 15 year pro who had a HOF career?

Serious question - How could Wilson possibly be worse than Darnold was here? Will he be ranked 50th out of 33 eligible QBs? Will he just be injured constantly? (In that case, I would think we'd move off of him after year 2 instead of year 3  . . .) 

Wilson can absolutely bust (I'm afraid he will), but why would him busting be any worse than what Sam just did? At least we didn't trade 3 2nd round picks for him. 

Most viewed Ewing as a gritty, but flawed player who could never quite break through and when he retired, the Knicks replaced him with Chris Dudley and Eddy Curry,

5 hours ago, slats said:

I’m disappointed in just a sixth round pick this year, I’ll say that. But next year when the Jets have two firsts, two seconds, and two fourths, I’ll probably be feeling pretty good. 

I’d expect a trade down from either #23 or #34 this year, too. Mas picks, por favor. 

Without question JD should have played it where he received better picks this year. Yeah, I'll be happy next year when we have the extra 2nd and 4th.

After that draft we'll have a better insight into just how good a GM JD is.

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You’re advocating drafting a one-year wonder QB whose one year coincided with that “farce of a 2020 college season.”

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Most viewed Ewing as a gritty, but flawed player who could never quite break through and when he retired, the Knicks replaced him with Chris Dudley and Eddy Curry,

Ok, but even his harshest critics (and I was one at times) would have acknowledged that he was an all-star and often the best player on a winning (and sometimes contending) team.

Sam wasn't in the same zip code. 

And again, if Wilson busts, he'll just be another Darnold. I don't see why we would look back and reminisce about a guy who was never close to good here. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

There really aren't great rules for this stuff.  We always try to put guys into boxes but it's not that simple. 

Joe Burrow was a "one year wonder". Until he wasn't. 

You couldn't draft a QB from Texas Tech. Until you could. 

You couldn't draft a sub 60% completion guy from Wyoming. Until you could. 

If the Jets like Wilson, they are going to take him. These teams all evaluate the individual - which includes all physical and mental/psychological traits - and make an educated guess. 

There are no rules, there does however exist decades of draft history and player performance which can be used to make projections. Those projections suggest Wilson is a somewhat risky pick with an injury history. You can accept that risk and go with what you believe .. Sure. thats fine. However we are doing so in a year in which our ability to evaluate him has been compromised due to COVID, making the risky, even more risky. I think the current climate would better lend itself to a guy with more of a track record

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’d be so funny if Douglas and co dumped Sam because they love Wilson so much and at the last second Lavar Wilson was like, “nah, eat a dick, my boy will only play for the 49ers.”

A boy can dream! 

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’d be so funny if Douglas and co dumped Sam because they love Wilson so much and at the last second Lavar Wilson was like, “nah, eat a dick, my boy will only play for the 49ers.”

1. Eat that Dick 

2. draft Fields 

3. profit 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CTM said:

There are no rules, there does however exist decades of draft history and player performance which can be used to make projections. Those projections suggest Wilson is a somewhat risky pick with an injury history. You can accept that risk and go with what you believe .. Sure. thats fine. However we are doing so in a year in which our ability to evaluate him has been compromised due to COVID, making the risky, even more risky. I think the current climate would better lend itself to a guy with more of a track record

Yeah, well, I don't disagree with you about Wilson. I think there are legit risks and I would probably pick someone else. Wilson feels very boom or bust to me. 

But I'm glad we are trying again at QB. A big thing for me is that I think the "risk" of drafting the wrong QB, given the rookie QB wage scale, is a bit overstated. If the guy sucks and you recognize it early enough, you have the opportunity to move on quickly (e.g. The Cardinals dumping Rosen). Meanwhile, you have a talented guy on a rookie deal, and with our picks, we can put a reasonable roster around him within a season or two.  

18 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I'm comfortable with that gamble, because if Wilson is somehow an above average NFL QB, then Wilson wins that matchup every time.

I thought that Wilson was a sure fire FQB, not just an above average NFL QB, but a top five Franchise Super Bowl winning QB who does it all by himself regardless of the talent or HC he's stuck with.

Is the Wilson crowd starting to hedge their their bets?

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Ahhh yes, the vaunted "QB X will dodge this team" meme.

For those who don't know, this is that thing the media talks about every f*cking year that, to my knowledge, hasn't happened since 2004 (and 1983 before that). 

3 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I get the hows and whys of this entire thing. Happy they got some return for Darnold given the level of play he's exhibited and I'm even excited for Wilson because the analytics say he's the best prospect they'll be drafting in a very long time. I'm most excited about the fact that finally, just once, the Jets decided to bail on the sh*tty young QB rather than ask everyone to keep waiting an extra year.

All that said, does anyone else get the feeling this is all still going to end terribly? 

yes. 

11 minutes ago, CTM said:

Weirdly enough, the professionals who make this "projections" agree that Zach Wilson should be the 2nd pick of the draft.