Depends on how the board looks. If he sees a lot of guys he likes available at 23 he may trade back a bit. If he sees a guy he really likes dropping I could see him trade up a few picks. I think JD will ride the wave that is the draft and take what it presents him. He won't force anything and he'll look for value while keeping in mind the priorities he has position wise. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Scotty Wooty Doo Doo said:

Been doing Mock simulated drafts all day , and find it interesting that there may be so may offers to trade back at 23 . Feel JD goes this route ?

I think there's a better than 50% chance he trades down with the pick. Depends on whether someone too good to pass up falls down to the spot and, of course, whether there are teams that want to trade up.

I think its pretty simple. JD has a list of targets at 23. That list includes guys he is willing to move up for and guys he is not willing to move up for. Obviously, the COST of moving up matters as well. Four guys come to mind. Zaven Collins, Teven Jenkins, maybe  Rondale Moore, maybe Najee Harris. I think the Jets really like all 4 prospects. I think JD is willing to trade up a few spots for Jenkins but thats about it. Its highly unlikely that Zaven Collins falls to 23. If he does, I think it will be hard for JD to pass on him. If Collins and Jenkins are gone and a trade up does not happen, I would not be surprised to see JD stay pat or try to move down and take Moore, Harris, maybe another OG/T prospect not on my radar as having a connection to the Jets (J.Mayfield, Vera-Tucker, Radunz, W.Davis). 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Depends on how the board looks. If he sees a lot of guys he likes available at 23 he may trade back a bit. If he sees a guy he really likes dropping I could see him trade up a few picks. I think JD will ride the wave that is the draft and take what it presents him. He won't force anything and he'll look for value while keeping in mind the priorities he has position wise. 

JD is NOT trading up. Who do you think we are? The Chiefs? Trading back? Possibly. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Scotty Wooty Doo Doo said:

Been doing Mock simulated drafts all day , and find it interesting that there may be so may offers to trade back at 23 . Feel JD goes this route ?

Agreed.  I think it’s very possible.  Honestly I think the 34 spot is a very attractive trade chip because teams will be looking at guys who slipped out of the first round and want to move up.  Not saying we should but if the offer is real good we should consider it.  The Mims trade back/pick showed that Douglas has a good feel fit guys he wants who are falling 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jets723 said:

Agreed.  I think it’s very possible.  Honestly I think the 34 spot is a very attractive trade chip because teams will be looking at guys who slipped out of the first round and want to move up.  Not saying we should but if the offer is real good we should consider it.  The Mims trade back/pick showed that Douglas has a good feel fit guys he wants who are falling 

I'd agree, it's more likely we trade down from #34 rather than #23. You'd have to imagine that any player that teams would want to trade up for at #23 we would also want like a tackel, a cornerback, a wide reciever, the only exception is if one of the QBs fall that far.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, adobolo2 said:

I'd agree, it's more likely we trade down from #34 rather than #23. You'd have to imagine that any player that teams would want to trade up for at #23 we would also want like a tackel, a cornerback, a wide reciever, the only exception is if one of the QBs fall that far.

Ya I’m pretty positive it will be OL or CB at 23.  34 is could be either if we stay there.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Ya I’m pretty positive it will be OL or CB at 23.  34 is could be either if we stay there.  

The only factor that could swing joe away from picking and OL or CB is if one of the edge players he rates highly is still on the board, I can't see joe going with a skill player at 23 like a RB or wr.

5 minutes ago, adobolo2 said:

The only factor that could swing joe away from picking and OL or CB is if one of the edge players he rates highly is still on the board, I can't see joe going with a skill player at 23 like a RB or wr.

Agreed.  I know some want RB early as 23 but I think that would be a mistake.  As for WR and RB I see it more in the middle rounds.  Plus next year we have 2 1sts and 2 2nds so I could see next year as potentially going after offensive weapons early 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Honestly, I don't  think Joe did so great with all the picks he got for trading back last draft so I hope he just takes the best guy he has on the board at that point. We need defensive help as well as Offensive  so BPA will be fine. I mean aside from Becton and Mims, did anyone seem to stand out? I know Hall looked good but I think that was primarily  because out DB's were so bad.

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately, because of Mac mostly but a bit of JD as well, the Jets have very weak OL and CB rooms, and need a variety of other players, both this year and next year.  

So if another team wants to trade for 23 and give us more 2nd and 3rd round picks to fill slots, I can see JD doing that. 

He just has to draft better in the 3rd round than he did last year. 

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

JD is NOT trading up. Who do you think we are? The Chiefs? Trading back? Possibly. 

A lot can happen. The whole point is getting players you really want. JD should move up if he sees someone he really wants 3 or 4 spots ahead and doesn't want to risk getting him snatched up. He was willing to do that last year with an OT and had a trade on the table. Luckily both Becton and Wirfs were there. The Jets have plenty of draft picks to allow for maneuvering this year. JD can move down from #34. He can move down from one of the third rounders. The Jets have all early picks, that gives them leverage. They have 2 6th round picks to move up a few spots if JD likes a player sliding down to the bottom of Rd. 3. I mean, theres a lot that can happen and you can't limit yourself as a GM. We might even see a player for pick swap like last year at the back end of the draft.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Never say never. If it costs him a late round pick or two to move up a few spots to get a guy he wants he will do so. That isn't to say he's going to make a splash move and trade the draft to get back into the top ten, but they have plenty of picks and rounds 5, 6 , 7 are expendable as trade fodder. The idea that you need 10+ picks is laughable. Not all those guys are going to make the team so you consolidate a couple at the tail end to give you a better pick when talent is actually available as opposed to a scratch off in the late rounds.   

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

A lot can happen. The whole point is getting players you really want. JD should move up if he sees someone he really wants 3 or 4 spots ahead and doesn't want to risk getting him snatched up. He was willing to do that last year with an OT and had a trade on the table. Luckily both Becton and Wirfs were there. The Jets have plenty of draft picks to allow for maneuvering this year. JD can move down from #34. He can move down from one of the third rounders. The Jets have all early picks, that gives them leverage. They have 2 6th round picks to move up a few spots if JD likes a player sliding down to the bottom of Rd. 3. I mean, theres a lot that can happen and you can't limit yourself as a GM. We might even see a player for pick swap like last year at the back end of the draft.  

Yea you're right. He might just do that. I hope he doesn't mess with 23 and 34 though. We can get 2 prime players at positions of need without bouncing around.  I would think next year he'd have more flexibility to wheel and deal. Regardless, we are in a good position to turn this roster around over the next couple years.

18 hours ago, PepPep said:

I think its pretty simple. JD has a list of targets at 23. That list includes guys he is willing to move up for and guys he is not willing to move up for. Obviously, the COST of moving up matters as well. Four guys come to mind. Zaven Collins, Teven Jenkins, maybe  Rondale Moore, maybe Najee Harris. I think the Jets really like all 4 prospects. I think JD is willing to trade up a few spots for Jenkins but thats about it. Its highly unlikely that Zaven Collins falls to 23. If he does, I think it will be hard for JD to pass on him. If Collins and Jenkins are gone and a trade up does not happen, I would not be surprised to see JD stay pat or try to move down and take Moore, Harris, maybe another OG/T prospect not on my radar as having a connection to the Jets (J.Mayfield, Vera-Tucker, Radunz, W.Davis). 

Love this because it gives credible examples that substantiate JDs pragmatic up-or-down mindset.

And there are no doubt at lease a half dozen other scenarios that JD is contemplating. But there was no need for the post to go into the  additional details. The scenarios discussed were enough to get the feel for JD's approach.

38 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Yea you're right. He might just do that. I hope he doesn't mess with 23 and 34 thought. We can get 2 prime players a positions of need without bouncing around.  I would think next year he'd have more flexibility to wheel and deal. Regardless, we are in a good position to turn this roster around over the next couple years.

I’m almost there. Would love to see him drop 4-5 spots from 23, grab Humphrey at 27-28 then grab the highest rated guard at 34. Use Rd 2 and whatever we get for the trade back on CB or Egde or WR. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Honestly, I don't  think Joe did so great with all the picks he got for trading back last draft so I hope he just takes the best guy he has on the board at that point. We need defensive help as well as Offensive  so BPA will be fine. I mean aside from Becton and Mims, did anyone seem to stand out? I know Hall looked good but I think that was primarily  because out DB's were so bad.

It was his first time behind the wheel. We'll see how he does this year. I'm not fond of trading back for late round picks myself.

Never say never. If it costs him a late round pick or two to move up a few spots to get a guy he wants he will do so. That isn't to say he's going to make a splash move and trade the draft to get back into the top ten, but they have plenty of picks and rounds 5, 6 , 7 are expendable as trade fodder. The idea that you need 10+ picks is laughable. Not all those guys are going to make the team so you consolidate a couple at the tail end to give you a better pick when talent is actually available as opposed to a scratch off in the late rounds.   

i agree you need to squeeze all those late ones into as many top 100 picks as you can get.
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

We need players that will make a much more impact than Mims did his first year. 

I know what you mean, but I'm not sure what you're getting at. Are you saying that JD has to draft players who won't get hurt in their rookie year which also happened to be a pandemic year without a training camp?