Clowney to Cleveland

Whatever.  Glad that the Jets seemed to be nowhere near this.

Clowney would keep guys like Zuniga and a drafted Edge Rusher from getting experience the way that Frank Gore ate carries from guys like Ty Johnson, Perine, etc.

We're rebuilding.  Cleveland (unfortunately) seems to be knocking on the door with an expensive one-year Edge rush rental to pair with Myles Garrett as they try to win a division where maybe Pitt and Baltimore aren't quite as formidable this year.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Stop it.  You know what I mean. lol

We don't one-year rentals for $10M at the expense of building for the future.

u must be joking almost all of Joe's free agents were one year deals 

• Upvote 1

Maybe my point isn't clear in this thread because I'm getting hammered. lol

I don't want Clowney.  I don't want a one-year rental at a premium position for a team that isn't yet a playoff contender.  Teams that need a guy to take them from 10 wins to 11 can use a Clowney for $10M for one year.  I'd rather the Jets try to find a young Edge rusher in the Draft that they can develop, a guy who will be a sponge for Saleh and stay here for a few years.  Dropping $10M on Clowney after signing Lawson for $45M (and JD probably still having hope for his 3rd round Edge rusher from 2020) likely takes guys like Jaelen Phillips, Ronnie Perkins, etc. completely off the table for this year's Draft.

In fact, just to stick with this theme, I think if the Jets draft a slot WR in the first 3 rounds they're likely going to part ways with Jamison Crowder and his $10M.... or at least ask him to take a pay cut for this final year.

• Upvote 1

A good fit for everyone seemingly. Clowney is one of those guys who went from overrated to underrated in a hurry. He wasn’t what he was hyped to be but he’s an outstanding second guy to have on the edge. If him and Garrett stay healthy then that’s a terrifying front for anyone to play against. Relieved we don’t play them tbh.

I didn’t want him last year and didn’t want him this year. If we’re going for a 1 year rental on a veteran then Richard Sherman makes so much more sense.

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

In 2 years we will be talking about JD in the same manner as we now bash Idzik and Macagnan 

You’d think 7-9 to 2-14 would have been their first clue.  Identical coaching staff.  Identical quarterback.  A purely Joe Douglas roster. 

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

I wouldn’t have minded Clowney for say $7 on a 1 yr deal. He would help the edge rotation.

While we are not a playoff team, a good defense helps Zach (ie better field position, not always having to play from behind etc). Clowney is better than our 3rd option off the edge.