Breer On The Wilson Process

3 hours ago, KRL said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/05/03/mmqb-matt-nagy-justin-fields-trey-lance-aaron-rodgers-daily-cover

• The next step was the Zoom meetings, and one thing in particular stuck out about Wilson in that setting. While his ADHD was at one point a story line, the quarterback showed uncanny, Rain Man–like recall. It shined through in particular during his Zoom meetings with the Jets, and as Knapp took him through the BYU tape. Or, more accurately, Wilson took Knapp through it.

If you’ve watched coaches’ tape before, you’ve seen how, before a play is shown, a shot of the scoreboard comes up to establish the point of the game the play is taken from, down-and-distance, etc. Well, at one point, in a meeting with Wilson, Knapp had the screen frozen on such a frame. Wilson immediately told him what was coming. He took him through the play call. He took him through the defense’s call. He told him how a certain corner would usually be in the coverage associated with the call. He explained his throw. Then, he told him why the coaches called the play and how it was worked into the practice week.

Suffice it to say, that impressed the coaches, and it wasn’t the only time it happened. Again, the formation presnap wasn’t even on the screen yet.

This is the it. This is what sets a very, very select few apart from the rest.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Well, I disagree which doesn't matter but what does matter is another thread is going off the rails.

This isn't a fluff piece article. I get what you are saying, they say that about QBs every year, great memory blah blah blah.

Here is where you are wrong. This isn't Breer saying that Wilson had a great memory. He is saying the Jets coaches said that.  Why does that matter? Because they are comparing him to other QBs that they have interviewed over the years. By comparison they were impressed.

How is it my fault this is going off the rails?  We hear about QB's being able to recalls plays vs. D's all the time based on seeing the down and situation in the game. Photo graphic memory film junkie are draft talk terms and stuff that comes out all the time about QB's.   This isnt something special.  Dont care who said it.   

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Damian Lillard...one of the most shooter clutch of all time

Meh. He has a very high volume of clutch shots, but most of them are regular season. It's a reach to put him in the all time category given that he's only played in 4 CF games and 0 Finals games. That one shot in the playoffs a few years ago to close out the series was boss though. 

1 hour ago, varjet said:

I think this is the key to Wilson, and work ethic, seriousness and focus are underappreciated.  

Wilson will be 100% focused on his craft and likely not hanging out in bars in Morristown.

I like both Sanchez and Darnold, and they are both good athletes, but I never got the sense that they were football junkies like Wilson is. 

It’s easy to say that now re; Wilson but the proof will be on the field when the games start and we see how he handles the inevitable adversity that will come his way, what’s for sure is we’ve given him a helping hand and a chance to hit the ground running with some exciting offensive talent that Darnold certainly never had. I also never felt Darnold wasn’t a ‘football junkie’ or lacked when it came to working hard or stidying film....the reasons for his failure (up to this point) are many and varied but I personally don’t think it was for a lack of effort on his part

19 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Clearly not every QB can do it because the Jets met with all these guys and -- wait for it -- the others didn't all do it.

No, like seriously, this is just catch phrase stuff.  All QB's do this....I'm too lazy but legit, go look.  Both the reports I read on why Fields, Trask and Jones impressed in meeting...was their photo graphic memory.  Maybe it's not this specific example but they're all similar.  Just two simple google searches, teams bragging about their QB's recal ability.

It's a draft catch phrase, I'm lazy but I googled 2 players, similar types of reports.

https://www.distractify.com/p/mac-jones-photographic-memory

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2021/04/30/justin-fields-bears-nfl-draft-traded-up/

3 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

The kid is a football junkie. And regardless of everything else, you need that to be a great QB in today’s NFL. The last QB to be great without it was Favre, and he could’ve cleaned up plenty of mistakes if he had it.

Great post it also got me thinking about the other side of that coin.  Favre besides his talent may well have been great because of his creative ability to improvise.  

What's happening in the NFL is specialization and control.  Everything is schemed and the plays are called.  The options are diagramed and coaches and GM's don't want to hitch their futures on off script creativity.  They talk about it as a trait they want but that's not what they really want.  They want to control the script, direct the scene and produce a predictable outcome.  In that regard NFL GM's and coaches are likely to put a huge emphasis on prospects ability to understant their scheme and run it without putting their creative spin on it.  

I have no doubt NFL coaches and GM's want players who can read the script, understant the script and deliver a great performance week after week.   I would argue that's not what makes an elite NFL QB.  What makes them is their ability to be creative within the script or even go off script when the script isn't working.

There is a balance between knowing your kraft and being versed in it through study and having the creative mind to be elite.   Favre may well have been able to "Clean up his mistakes"  what price would he have paid for that cleanup?  Of course that's a rhetorical question because it's unknown.  

I suspect guys like Rodgers, Wilson and Watson are disgruntled because they are particularly creative and will see anyone who wants to control that creativity as an impediment to their success.  

26 minutes ago, derp said:

If you find a med school that does admissions that way let me know bit.

This is what the 7 or 8 year programs tend to do. It's a small subsection letting 18 year olds into med school, usually to prevent them from going to a rival undergraduate program.

This not Hopkins or Harvard but neither are the Jets 

3 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

No, like seriously, this is just catch phrase stuff.  All QB's do this....I'm too lazy but legit, go look.  Both the reports I read on why Fields, Trask and Jones impressed in meeting...was their photo graphic memory.  Maybe it's not this specific example but they're all similar.  Just two simple google searches, teams bragging about their QB's recal ability.

It's a draft catch phrase, I'm lazy but I googled 2 players, similar types of reports.

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2021/04/30/justin-fields-bears-nfl-draft-traded-up/

So if Justin Fields is a physical specimen who has "photographic memory" and can remember plays Nagy already told him about, why did he drop? I can figure out why Mac Jones dropped, but why did Fields drop? He has all the physical tools and the retention too, right? 

1 minute ago, JiFapono said:

Kevin Dillon Win GIF

While top prospects of recent years and legitimate NFL superstars in Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen scored high, Fields blew them both away and scored the highest in the test’s history among more than 6,500 pro athletes.

Because of Fields’ borderline photographic memory, there’s reason to believe he’ll have little trouble picking up an NFL playbook.

Just now, JiFapono said:

While top prospects of recent years and legitimate NFL superstars in Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen scored high, Fields blew them both away and scored the highest in the test’s history among more than 6,500 pro athletes.

Because of Fields’ borderline photographic memory, there’s reason to believe he’ll have little trouble picking up an NFL playbook.

Walter White Win GIF by Breaking Bad

2 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Lol @ "borderline photographic memory"

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Tranquilo said:

So if Justin Fields is a physical specimen who has "photographic memory" and can remember plays Nagy already told him about, why did he drop? I can figure out why Mac Jones dropped, but why did Fields drop? He has all the physical tools and the retention too, right? 

Arent you tired of this already?  I'm not even arguing about who is better or whatever.  I'm just saying its catch phrase sh*t and you are all going bonkers over it.  So weird. 

I have no idea who will be the best of these 3 but you know what I do know?  It's not because of the reports about their photographic memory.

6 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Ha, I'm not saying it's not an often repeated platitude, but I think it's an interesting nugget that the Jets were impressed with him on the "whiteboard" and were impressed with his recall -- moreso than any of the other prospects. It's obviously coming from the Jets so it's of course going to be a puff piece but I can't imagine any insight into the process wouldn't be interesting to a Jets fan.

Also, that article has Mac Jones claiming himself that he has a photographic memory so I'm not sure that one counts.

5 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Blow Your Mind Wow GIF by Product Hunt

1 minute ago, Jet Life said:

Look everyone, the “I don’t even care about Justin Fields” guy is back spamming another Wilson thread with more Justin Fields stuff!

Apparently, Mac Jones and Justin Fields are the same guy!

the plot thickens!!!!!!

Just now, JiFapono said:

Arent you tired of this already?  I'm not even arguing about who is better or whatever.  I'm just saying its catch phrase sh*t and you are all going bonkers over it.  So weird. 

I have no idea who will be the best of these 3 but you know what I do know?  It's not because of the reports about their photographic memory.

I liked that the article was a bit more specific than "photographic memory". My point is that Fields has literally everything according to you, so I'm just wondering.

People can't be optimistic about their QB now? 

1 minute ago, JiFapono said:

Of all my new groupies, you're my favorite by far because Tranquilo is by far my favorite word to say in Spanish.

Ooo look guys he's doing the joke thing now!

I think next is back massages and I don't care about this

4 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

He has like 30 posts in a thread he doesn't care about

“Na, but seriously bro, Fields can bust and it doesn’t even matter to me. Here’s a tweet of Mac Jones saying he has a photographic memory to show I won another Zach Wilson internet thread. Another morning crushed!”

• Haha 3

Even if you're happy we took Wilson, you knew a piece like this was going to be written regardless of the quarterback taken at 2.

Everyone's got a photographic memory, passion for the game and is 'high character' right after you select them. 

What gets me far more excited: we followed up the quarterback pick with an elite offensive lineman and two #weapinz.

That's that real real good good GM'ing.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Ha, I'm not saying it's not an often repeated platitude, but I think it's an interesting nugget that the Jets were impressed with him on the "whiteboard" and were impressed with his recall -- moreso than any of the other prospects. It's obviously coming from the Jets so it's of course going to be a puff piece but I can't imagine any insight into the process wouldn't be interesting to a Jets fan.

Also, that article has Mac Jones claiming himself that he has a photographic memory so I'm not sure that one counts.

Call me crazy, but I bet the Jets preferred many attributes of Zach Wilson vs. other prospects.  Especially those taken after him.   lol

24 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

How is it my fault this is going off the rails?  We hear about QB's being able to recalls plays vs. D's all the time based on seeing the down and situation in the game. Photo graphic memory film junkie are draft talk terms and stuff that comes out all the time about QB's.   This isnt something special.  Dont care who said it.   

Because you're repeatedly trolling and spamming up the entire thread?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

This is what the 7 or 8 year programs tend to do. It's a small subsection letting 18 year olds into med school, usually to prevent them from going to a rival undergraduate program.

This not Hopkins or Harvard but neither are the Jets 

Lots of different ways the schools do it, but I think it’s easier to fake the passion than it is to fake the numbers and publications. The whole admissions process for medicine is very strange to me. 

I also don’t think the 22 year olds can actually know they want to work like that, let alone 18 year olds. Part of why median age is rising at most schools.

Burnout is still a major issue too and it was pre-COVID.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

I liked that the article was a bit more specific than "photographic memory". My point is that Fields has literally everything according to you, so I'm just wondering.

People can't be optimistic about their QB now? 

Dude, it could have any prospect and I would have called it out.  It's just silly catch phrase draft stuff.  We hear this sh*t all the time.  I'm not knocking anyone, I'm not elevating anyone else.  I simply read the article, thought it was funny and posted about it.  I'm sorry this triggered everyone.  I didnt say anything disparaging about Wilson or complimentary about anyone else.  I'm sure I could find a similar article on Davis Mills if I looked hard enough

I want Zachapono to be the best QB in the NFL because that would be very good for my favorite Football team.

• Upvote 1

Just now, JiFapono said:

Dude, it could have any prospect and I would have called it out.  It's just silly catch phrase draft stuff.  We hear this sh*t all the time.  I'm not knocking anyone, I'm not elevating anyone else.  I simply read the article, thought it was funny and posted about it.  I'm sorry this triggered everyone.  I didnt say anything disparaging about Wilson or complimentary about anyone else.  I'm sure I could find a similar article on Davis Mills if I looked hard enough

I want Zachapono to be the best QB in the NFL because that would be very good for my favorite Football team.

It's exactly like all the media fluff pieces during training camp.  At that point every friggin' player is golden, can't miss and/or the "next big thing". 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Because you're repeatedly trolling and spamming up the entire thread?

I respond to people when they quote me.  I feel like it's message board etiquette.  I received 7 neg reps for making a post and have been attacked numerous times in the thread but yes, I'm the troll who's spamming the thread.