Breer On The Wilson Process

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Agreed. My hesitancy with him is that the gulf for him to succeed here vs what he did in Provo is 400 miles wide and it’d take a mutant freak sociopath to overcome the adversity he’ll face here if he sucks, and he appears to be a nice young man from a stable home who hasn’t faced a lot of adversity or pressure. I just think the learning curve is very, very steep, and he’s going to need a steel spine to handle it.

If he sucks, not much else will matter. 

I get some of the misgivings about the kid, I share some of them. By all accounts, though, he appears to be hard-working and focused on being great, and also seems to be in touch with absolutely everyone that he could be in discussing the adversity of joining the NFL and the Jets, in particular. I think he understands that -at a minimum- there's going to be an adjustment period and some struggles and growing pains. He'll have a support system in place with the coaches and front office who are putting a lot of faith in him, and judging from the draft, they seem focused on trying to make his transition as easy as possible. It's not all going to be on his shoulders if the Jets don't live up to a lot of fans win-loss expectations (and they won't), it will be an organization-wide ownership of where they are and where they believe they're headed. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

If he sucks, not much else will matter. 

I get some of the misgivings about the kid, I share some of them. By all accounts, though, he appears to be hard-working and focused on being great, and also seems to be in touch with absolutely everyone that he could be in discussing the adversity of joining the NFL and the Jets, in particular. I think he understands that -at a minimum- there's going to be an adjustment period and some struggles and growing pains. He'll have a support system in place with the coaches and front office who are putting a lot of faith in him, and judging from the draft, they seem focused on trying to make his transition as easy as possible. It's not all going to be on his shoulders if the Jets don't live up to a lot of fans win-loss expectations (and they won't), it will be an organization-wide ownership of where they are and where they believe they're headed. 

i think a lot of the narrative about coming from utah and making it in the great big city are overstated.  how many qbs from big college programs and big high school programs couldn't handle the spotlight and pressure?  then you look at guys like allen, rothlisburger and even guys like fitzpatrick and realize that it's who you are and not where you played.  

as a corollary to this, i've read wilson say that in utah, byu football is basically everything there so the pressure and spotlight he endured there is akin to what the alabama players endure in that state.  it's not like darnold at USC where anyone besides the alums basically yawn at what happens.

5 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Cause there were no other offenses like that. emoji848.png

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

The staple of the OSU offense is its downfield routes. Its different to the offenses that Clemson, BYU or a majority of Div1 schools run in that its priority focus is not on the quick read and safety valve routes that are a staple of the other offenses. As such Fields was asked to hold the ball longer as routes developed downfield. The hold the ball too long "issue" is really a symptom of the offense he played in.  Again I wish him well in Chi , but for now my support is 100% behind Wilson. 

• Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

So just a heads up to parents out there: Do not listen to this guy and this does not happen. 

Ferpa law only covers the student who is admitted. Applicants are not covered by the ferpa until they are matriculate

Admissions officers do talk from time to time especially in the Ivies. They all went to like Exeter or Choate together 

The key to the process is no one is happy. The kid that wanted northwestern actually goes to Duke. The Duke kid ends up at Villanova 

The guy who gets in Harvard, really wants to go to Oxford and the sorbonne 

20 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Ferpa law only covers the student who is admitted. Applicants are not covered by the ferpa until they are matriculate

Admissions officers do talk from time to time especially in the Ivies. They all went to like Exeter or Choate together 

The key to the process is no one is happy. The kid that wanted northwestern actually goes to Duke. The Duke kid ends up at Villanova 

The guy who gets in Harvard, really wants to go to Oxford and the sorbonne 

Jesus Christ dude you have ******* lost it this year

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Jesus Christ dude you have ******* lost it this year

Yes. This year. 

No you're right they are leak proof organizations operating to every jot and tiddle of the law 

Neither of us can prove the existence of gossip but the greater point I was trying to make is that we look at it from the perspective of the applicant but these places are trying to fill out their classes with people who will elevate their ranking and they often want what they can't have. 

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Agreed. My hesitancy with him is that the gulf for him to succeed here vs what he did in Provo is 400 miles wide and it’d take a mutant freak sociopath to overcome the adversity he’ll face here if he sucks, and he appears to be a nice young man from a stable home who hasn’t faced a lot of adversity or pressure. I just think the learning curve is very, very steep, and he’s going to need a steel spine to handle it.

as does every single round 1 QB drafted in the history of the NFL.  How is this any different?  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, football guy said:

Wilson's parents* 

Wilson himself is pretty apolitical. But his parents were outspoken.

Teammates thought it would send the wrong message to vote him captain during the pandemic/social unrest. Many of them apologized for allowing that to cloud their decision on the vote, because no one will question his work ethic... hardest worker on the team. 

This should end the argument of whether or not BYU is a big time program. Seems to me that hey have just as many sheep on their team as all the other power 5 schools do.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, football guy said:

Wilson's parents* 

Teammates thought it would send the wrong message to vote him captain during the pandemic/social unrest. Many of them apologized for allowing that to cloud their decision on the vote, because no one will question his work ethic... hardest worker on the team. 

As any starting QB should be . Show me one that doesn't work and I'll show you one that is either gifted athletically or out of the league. 

Admittedly I wanted Fields over Wilson but I'm onboard now. In fact, I wanted to expand on a concept by Simms about Wilson in which "a throw is a throw", highlighting how Wilson makes some throws that negates a defense. Maybe next month.

However, this is usual BS about everyone's draft. This is the journalist equivalent of the draft phone call. You never see those calls be like "Damn, we got sniped by.....I guess we're ok with you because the trade down offers suck, welcome to the Jets!". Everyone of those calls sound like the guy was top 5 overall on their boards.

Same thing here, like telling your wife you fell in love at first sight, leaving out the part of "because Adriana Lima wasn't walking beside you".

Saw the same stuff on Darnold from SI, how they stalked him and how everyone from owner to security guard wanted him.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, football guy said:

Wilson's parents* 

Welcome back. How was Costa Rica? It’s a shame that players just can’t play anymore. Now you have to be on the politically correct side of the fence on everything. Imagine Joe Namath playing today? He’d have a tough time.

Question he’ll face game 1...... to kneel in solidarity. Guess he’ll need to start reading up to make the right decision for him and his team.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, football guy said:

Wilson's parents* 

thank you for clarifying this. 

16 hours ago, T0mShane said:

and he appears to be a nice young man from a stable home who hasn’t faced a lot of adversity or pressure.

It end's up coming out that his mom works at a bunny ranch and has alcohol issues. Dad is a junkie fiend, and had his son doing drug runs under the cover of door dash deliveries. "Oh look, another chipotle order with extra tofu meat substitute". Then a dna test proves he's steve young's love child with mom in a very Jerry Springer like SNY Jets special and they bring back back Ray Lucas just for that episode. Turns out they were just good at pulling it together for the camera's. You never know who people are past the images they present and the masks they wear.

season 9 showtime GIF by Shameless

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Welcome back. How was Costa Rica? It’s a shame that players just can’t play anymore. Now you have to be on the politically correct side of the fence on everything. Imagine Joe Namath playing today? He’d have a tough time.

Question he’ll face game 1...... to kneel in solidarity. Guess he’ll need to start reading up to make the right decision for him and his team.

Omg I didn’t want to leave lol. 

Also, I don’t think I can watch the draft ever again... I feel they did so well that I’m superstitious now lol 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, football guy said:

Also, I don’t think I can watch the draft ever again... I feel they did so well that I’m superstitious now lol 

Any post draft scoop from the inside?  How serious were the jets about trading back in the 2nd?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, win4ever said:

Admittedly I wanted Fields over Wilson but I'm onboard now. In fact, I wanted to expand on a concept by Simms about Wilson in which "a throw is a throw", highlighting how Wilson makes some throws that negates a defense. Maybe next month.

However, this is usual BS about everyone's draft. This is the journalist equivalent of the draft phone call. You never see those calls be like "Damn, we got sniped by.....I guess we're ok with you because the trade down offers suck, welcome to the Jets!". Everyone of those calls sound like the guy was top 5 overall on their boards.

Same thing here, like telling your wife you fell in love at first sight, leaving out the part of "because Adriana Lima wasn't walking beside you".

Saw the same stuff on Darnold from SI, how they stalked him and how everyone from owner to security guard wanted him.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Glad you are on board, enjoyed discussing Fields vs Wilson with you. I still think Fields will be good but have to say with the way the draft played out it does not seem he was really well regarded. With his pedigree that is definitely a bit of a caution flag on his chances of success. But he's on Chicago so hope he does well

I am such a homer but after this draft and hearing Saleh and JD discuss it, the whole situation just feels so different. The Jets could legitimately added 5 starters to the offense including Yeboah as an UDFA and we have a new QB. Plus our WR corps went from being easily the worst in the NFL last season to a sort of stealth potentially elite unit. 

• Sympathy 1

49 minutes ago, football guy said:

Next years draft could be the cherry on top. 6 picks in top 100. This year we added 4 starters on “O”. Next year “D” will be addressed with OL again. 

I think Moore will be a Jarvis Landry type player. Mims needs to be on field & Bechton-AVT will be rock solid. protecting Wilson blind Sid. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Glad you are on board, enjoyed discussing Fields vs Wilson with you. I still think Fields will be good but have to say with the way the draft played out it does not seem he was really well regarded. With his pedigree that is definitely a bit of a caution flag on his chances of success. But he's on Chicago so hope he does well

I am such a homer but after this draft and hearing Saleh and JD discuss it, the whole situation just feels so different. The Jets could legitimately added 5 starters to the offense including Yeboah as an UDFA and we have a new QB. Plus our WR corps went from being easily the worst in the NFL last season to a sort of stealth potentially elite unit. 

I still have no idea why Fields dropped, there has to be something behind the scenes.  I wonder if it's a personality thing, where folks felt he may challenge the system too much.  I know he challenged the NCAA portal for immediate eligibility for the racial slur from the baseball player, challenged the Big10 decision on Covid, so maybe teams felt scared about his coachability?  Or something else surfaced?  Just speculating at this point.  Wilson vs. Fields (While I like Fields better) I can understand because a team went with pure arm talent over pure athleticism, and while I disagree, I can see the viewpoint.  No way is Trey Lance better than Justin Fields at anything on the field, unless something set them apart in the process that we don't have access to.  I think Fields being passed over for Lance is the big confusing one for me, makes me think, there was something that came up, or if he struggled badly with breaking down plays.   

I'm not sure Yeboah is a starter at this point, but I did hear his testing numbers were supposed to be better.  From what I read he got injured on his first 40 run, so I think he runs a bit faster.  However, he has some blocking issues that can cause issues in this scheme, especially if we focus on the outside zone.   

I think the addition of Moore is great, really needed that second deep option for Wilson to fit into the offense.  I'm more excited about possibly having a QB friendly system with talent.  I wasn't a big fan of Corey Davis (liked Curtis Samuel better) but Davis/Mims/Moore/Crowder/Cole is probably the deepest our receiving core has been for awhile.  I was kinda hoping to hear Cager convert to a TE or something, because I think he'd thrive much like Waller did in Oakland.   

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Cbucco19 said:

@football guy do u have any idea how the coaches feel about Wesco ? I feel like gase had no idea how to use him. He can surprise as our FB 

They see a potential role for him as an HB but they were seeking to add an upgrade whether it be in FA (Juice) or in the draft (Tremble) so I would think they would have him compete. Kind of surprised they didn't sign more of a blocking FB/HB type, instead doling out big bucks for Kenny Yeboah, and much like others I absolutely see him making the roster

9 hours ago, David Harris said:

Yeah can you share any (and all) nuggets you’ve heard about the draft? 

I was away for all of it and honestly still haven't gotten to any of my texts and dms lol... we're at over 1000 texts right now so my anxiety is through the roof every time I look at that red little circle.

At some point in the next week or 2 I'm going to post a recap and will try to include everything

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Any post draft scoop from the inside?  How serious were the jets about trading back in the 2nd?

Ditto last post. I didn't see or hear this one. I think they were considering moving back into the 3rd because there were a pocket of players they really liked who went in that 80-105 range, but it's my understanding that they would've taken Michael Carter over guys like Perkins, Jones, Ifeatu, and Molden. Once Buffalo passed him at 93 they had a good feeling he would fall into their lap

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, football guy said:

I was away for all of it and honestly still haven't gotten to any of my texts and dms lol... we're at over 1000 texts right now so my anxiety is through the roof every time I look at that red little circle.

At some point in the next week or 2 I'm going to post a recap and will try to include everything

Ugh, I hate that red circle.  But that’s what you get for having the gall to leave us when we needed you most ? 

look forward to the updates 

37 minutes ago, football guy said:

I mean my iMessages! I'm just in too many group chats is what it all comes down to lol... so many people just talk about random sh*t and I end up ignoring it, but going to have to dig for some of the good stuff. It was fine on here.

My biggest takeaway was that the Jets pretty much identified the talent cut-off very early in the game, realizing they wanted to pair an elite weapon (Pitts) or an OL with whoever would be their QB whether it was Darnold or Wilson. In retrospect, they saw Slater-AVT-Sewell as part of that top-10 cut-off, and getting into position to come away with one of them was very important. I think that's why you saw Douglas so amped on draft day when it happened... the organization lost hope in landing that top guy because the whole goal around staying in the top 10 was about being in position to land one of these building block guys, and when Douglas was able to make it happen by going to 14 for a reasonable price - knowing that he was negotiating with the very team who would end their dream of selecting AVT had they not struck a deal - was a huge moment for him and the organization. 

Gives you some insight why Douglas is lauded as the executive he is, and why the Jets have hope. The guy gets it. He knows what he needs to do, and he knows that he can't sit their and wait for it. Despite that, he came away with what may ultimately go down as the greatest top 107 haul in franchise history. Everyone in the organization feels that all of AVT-Moore-Carter have the potential to be top 20 starters at their positions, and the sky is the limit for Wilson. 

Yeah you could see the excitement in JD after the AVT pick with his moment of shaking fist.  It was a guy trying to keep it together and not get too animated but obviously totally stoked that he got one of his top targets.  It was awesome to see him giddy because I trust the guy so much and if he's that stoked that means we got a stud and top target.

This draft has potential with those top 4 picks to be absolutely franchise defining.  I know we say that every year but nope - this one could be really special. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, football guy said:

I mean my iMessages! I'm just in too many group chats is what it all comes down to lol... so many people just talk about random sh*t and I end up ignoring it, but going to have to dig for some of the good stuff. It was fine on here.

My biggest takeaway was that the Jets pretty much identified the talent cut-off very early in the game, realizing they wanted to pair an elite weapon (Pitts) or an OL with whoever would be their QB whether it was Darnold or Wilson. In retrospect, they saw Slater-AVT-Sewell as part of that top-10 cut-off, and getting into position to come away with one of them was very important. I think that's why you saw Douglas so amped on draft day when it happened... the organization lost hope in landing that top guy because the whole goal around staying in the top 10 was about being in position to land one of these building block guys, and when Douglas was able to make it happen by going to 14 for a reasonable price - knowing that he was negotiating with the very team who would end their dream of selecting AVT had they not struck a deal - was a huge moment for him and the organization. 

Gives you some insight why Douglas is lauded as the executive he is, and why the Jets have hope. The guy gets it. He knows what he needs to do, and he knows that he can't sit their and wait for it. Despite that, he came away with what may ultimately go down as the greatest top 107 haul in franchise history. Everyone in the organization feels that all of AVT-Moore-Carter have the potential to be top 20 starters at their positions, and the sky is the limit for Wilson. 

Interesting nugget. Watched a PFF recap and they said that if the Jets had not traded up, the pick at 14 would have still been Darrishaw and NE would have selected AVT instead of Jones.

I am a Jets homer but the first 4 Jets picks are as strong and safe as any first 4 picks I can remember.

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Interesting nugget. Watched a PFF recap and they said that if the Jets had not traded up, the pick at 14 would have still been Darrishaw and NE would have selected AVT instead of Jones.

I am a Jets homer but the first 4 Jets picks are as strong and safe as any first 4 picks I can remember.

Wow I didn't see this. I heard they would have taken AVT on Jeremiah's podcast

5 hours ago, football guy said:

Wow I didn't see this. I heard they would have taken AVT on Jeremiah's podcast

7 hours ago, johnnysd said:

• Sympathy 1

15 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Fields was really not well thought of. Based on the draft I actually think Fields was a huge reach at 11 and Chicago is going to continue their nightmare.

I just watched his selection video. He had the enthusiasm of a wet fart.