Curious to hear your perspective on why Joe D kept Gase last year? Do you think he actually need another year to vet Gase, or was he not ready to offer Saleh at the time?

7 hours ago, Zach Made Me a Jets Fan said:

Did Gase have any support at all from this fan base? My assumption is that the fans hated the hiring of Gase, and that any hopes he’d be decent were dashed within about 3 games. 

I knew he was a horrible hire because he sucked in Miami. 

This was confirmed after his 1st game with us, a loss at home to Buffalo.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Zach Made Me a Jets Fan said:

Did Gase have any support at all from this fan base? My assumption is that the fans hated the hiring of Gase, and that any hopes he’d be decent were dashed within about 3 games. 

This fan base prefers dumb, sweaty head coaches that remind them of their dads. Gase went 7-9 with the worst talent core in the league the year prior. These same clowns will build a statue for Saleh if he gets six wins this season out of an exponentially better roster than anything Gase had.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 2
  • Haha 3

Neither. They were friends, and Gase spoke highly of Douglas for the GM position is my recollection. Not the most comfortable position in the world to be in, I think Joe Douglas just sat back and let Gase finish himself off as opposed to having to actively fire him directly. The Johnsons technically fired him, which I think was a good locker room move . . . for once. It also fits in with the composite picture of how Douglas operates. It wasn't a snake in the grass move, he just let nature do the job on him; but it made the Johnsons look like they were doing something authoritative while at the same time not stabbing Gase in the back. A+ for execution. Heh.

• Upvote 2

There was absolutely no reason to fire him after 2019 when they won 7 games which was a huge leap forward.  Not to mention Gase was the reason Joe even came here.  The only way Gase was getting fired this year was if there was a total disaster which is what happened.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

50 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

There was absolutely no reason to fire him after 2019 when they won 7 games which was a huge leap forward.  Not to mention Gase was the reason Joe even came here.  The only way Gase was getting fired this year was if there was a total disaster which is what happened.

I honestly think Joe would have kept Adam if we had won at least seven or eight games due to loyalty but Adam made it so simple for Joe. Even Adam was probably saying "what are you waiting for, I got my money, fire me".  Adam Gase's coaching performance in 2020-2021 enabled the Jets to finally get on the right path for success.  It was painful, but it all worked out.  

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Adam Gase was Joe Douglas' fall guy after he set the roster up for tanking during a season without fans due to a Pandemic.

10 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Have you met @SAR I. He was gases only fan. And he defended him til the day he got fired.

SAR is no Adam Gase fan.

SAR merely wanted the Jets to hire a) an offensive head coach b) that wasn't a rookie, something that they hadn't done in 30 years.  SAR was rooting for Gase to succeed, just like any Jets fan would.

And it was pretty damned quiet in here when he finished the 2019 season 6-2, quite an accomplishment.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, Zach Made Me a Jets Fan said:

So you’re saying he kept Gase in order to tank m, in order to facilitate getting rid of Sam?

As a Bills troll, you surely know that after a disasterous, injury-riddled 1-7 start Adam Gase's 2019 Jets rallied to finish 6-2.  The team didn't quit on him; against all odds they played their third-string hearts out for the guy.  They would have made the playoffs if the idiot GM could pick a kicker and the idiot QB didn't kiss randoms in Morristown.

In 2020, his impish GM got rid of every playmaker on the roster and replaced them with cheap rookies, almost all of whom were hurt or didn't meet expectations.  Against a very hard schedule, with a DC continuing to blow games, the Jets had no chance and Gase was dismissed.

We don't miss Gase, but if we don't win 8 games this year it won't look good for Joe Douglas in the hot seat, and it won't look good for Saleh who couldn't match the 2019 record of the worst head coach who ever walked the face of the Earth.

SAR I

• Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

The Jets don’t fire coaches mid season unless they do something unthinkable like cover 0 when you’re up and there’s hardly any time on the clock. I think it was more a Woody and Chris Johnson decision.

This, plus I think JD wanted to see how his first draft class did/didn't respond to the coaching staff. He didn't really have a chance to put his plan into action his first year, and needed the second year to see how Gase was reacting to it. When it became clear that he was going in his own direction, JD knew he had to make the change.

• Sympathy 1

33 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR is no Adam Gase fan.

SAR merely wanted the Jets to hire a) an offensive head coach b) that wasn't a rookie, something that they hadn't done in 30 years.  SAR was rooting for Gase to succeed, just like any Jets fan would.

And it was pretty damned quiet in here when he finished the 2019 season 6-2, quite an accomplishment.

SAR I

26 minutes ago, SAR I said:

As a Bills troll, you surely know that after a disasterous, injury-riddled 1-7 start Adam Gase's 2019 Jets rallied to finish 6-2.  The team didn't quit on him; against all odds they played their third-string hearts out for the guy.  They would have made the playoffs if the idiot GM could pick a kicker and the idiot QB didn't kiss randoms in Morristown.

In 2020, his impish GM got rid of every playmaker on the roster and replaced them with cheap rookies, almost all of whom were hurt or didn't meet expectations.  Against a very hard schedule, with a DC continuing to blow games, the Jets had no chance and Gase was dismissed.

We don't miss Gase, but if we don't win 8 games this year it won't look good for Joe Douglas in the hot seat, and it won't look good for Saleh who couldn't match the 2019 record of the worst head coach who ever walked the face of the Earth.

SAR I

Feeling Dumb Jim Carrey GIF

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Zach Made Me a Jets Fan said:

Or was it the Dicktate of Wood Johnson? 

What a name!

He did not have the authority to fire Gase. After Gase was fired the reporting structure was changed so that Saleh reports to JD and JD has significantly more organizational power than he did a year ago.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This fan base prefers dumb, sweaty head coaches that remind them of their dads. Gase went 7-9 with the worst talent core in the league the year prior. These same clowns will build a statue for Saleh if he gets six wins this season out of an exponentially better roster than anything Gase had.

FYI: @Zach Made Me a Jets Fan  the above is not the opinion of 99.99% of Jets fans.  Welcome to the whacky world of T0m.  He means well.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This fan base prefers dumb, sweaty head coaches that remind them of their dads.

This is so true.  And don't forget locals, they had a thing for Kotite back in the day, Ryan too.  And, of course, heartthrob quarterbacks like Boomer Esiason and Vinny Testaverde.  Such great taste these fans have.

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Gase went 7-9 with the worst talent core in the league the year prior. These same clowns will build a statue for Saleh if he gets six wins this season out of an exponentially better roster than anything Gase had.

Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh have an 8-win mandate this year.  Much better roster, much better quarterback, much better conditioning, and an easier schedule than 2019.  If Maccagnan and Gase could get that pile of crap to 7 wins, Douglas and Saleh had damned well better get to 8 at a minimum, hell, we should expect 9 or 10 with the extra game, expect a playoff berth with the extra wildcard too.

SAR I

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, DepressedJetsFan23 said:

As close to zero as possible IMO. Pretty universally hated hire not many people were pleased 

Yep. He and McCarthy were the worst possible hires and they landed on him. I was willing to hold my skepticism to give him a chance, but man, he was basically everything we feared at the time.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh have an 8-win mandate this year. 

They absolutely have no 8-win mandate this year. 

They need for the team to play better.  Believing win totals are the bottom line to rating the job a HC has done is what gets the 100's of posts where you repeat 7-9 as if it were Nirvana 

• Post of the Week 1

The Johnson’s were already paying maccagnan not to be GM and as an owner you have to give coaches time to get a program rolling or future candidates see it as a big negative   It’s actually a little surprising the staff JD was able to attract after gutting the roster and firing Gase for losing   Very brutal. 

12 hours ago, AlexVanDyke said:

We were 7-9 and 3 of the games we lost was where Sam was hurt and we had no viable back up.  Can’t say that was totally in Gase.

Gase was not great by any stretch and I am happy we moved on but he had horrible luck and no way did he deserve to get canned after year 1

I’m pretty sure we actually never won a game during the Gase era when Darnold did not start 

18 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

They absolutely have no 8-win mandate this year. 

They need for the team to play better.  Believing win totals are the bottom line to rating the job a HC has done is what gets the 100's of posts where you repeat 7-9 as if it were Nirvana 

Adam Gase could have gotten this year's more talented and healthy Jets team to "play better" with this cupcake schedule and a 9th home game.  Is that all Robert Saleh is here to do too?

Your outrageously high expectations for Adam Gase and your outrageously low expectations for Robert Saleh are quite curious.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

9 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

I’m pretty sure we actually never won a game during the Gase era when Darnold did not start 

Between 2019 and 2020 we had 8 games, that's half a season, where we needed to rely on a backup quarterback but, alas, it wasn't a priority for Joe Douglas. 

Oh, but as a great GM coming off an A+ draft he's learned his lesson.  Who is our backup this season?  I forget.  Let's blame Adam Gase for that too.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Adam Gase could have gotten this year's more talented and healthy Jets team to "play better" with this cupcake schedule and a 9th home game.  Is that all Robert Saleh is here to do too?

Your outrageously high expectations for Adam Gase and your outrageously low expectations for Robert Saleh are quite curious.

SAR I

Adam Gase was a boob who couldn't coach.  The team was poorly coached, undisciplined and just poorly led.  RTobert Saleh has nothing to do with Gase.  No matter how many times you want to link Saleh to your guy

There is nothing to prove that Gase could win with more talent.  The argument could be made that the 2020 Jets had more talent than the 2019 Jets and his team was a total shlt show.  

I didnt have "outrageously high expectations for Adam Gase" you and only you did.  If you could take the time to read I said that win totals mean squat.  They could play better, much better and not win 8 games.  Thats not "outrageously low expectations for Robert Saleh".  And isnt quite curious.   What is curious is how many times you flip from claiming you arent a Gase fan to blaming JD, the schedule and trying to link whatever the Jets win this year to prove that 7-9 was something to praise Gase over

• Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Between 2019 and 2020 we had 8 games, that's half a season, where we needed to rely on a backup quarterback but, alas, it wasn't a priority for Joe Douglas. 

Oh, but as a great GM coming off an A+ draft he's learned his lesson.  Who is our backup this season?  I forget.  Let's blame Adam Gase for that too.

SAR I

giphy.gif