Interesting article on inside story behind Elijah Moore pick

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I said this same thing on draft night & you see exactly why. I’m from Mississippi, I’ve had friends play on the team with Moore at Ole Miss, nobody would shut up about this guy. I decided to watch for myself a few months before the draft and just to see his route running and his technique, all of it is so smooth and advanced. It looks like he’s been working on the important things his whole life.. you add that to his character and work ethic. This is a home run pick in the 2nd round, much less, #23 overall. He’s the perfect security blanket out of the slot for Wilson.

The name of the game changes for WR’s once you get in the league. It’s all about if you can get separation from NFL DB’s at a consistent enough rate. It feels like everything he’s worked on and gotten so good at happens to be what you need to succeed at this level.

Hope you can shed some light on this for me. The last 4-5 years, Ole Miss has put some excellent WR's and TE's into the league, yet nothing is really said about their Qb's. You would think somebody would take a flier on them. no?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Crap. I might have to change my name again...

I thought you were going WilsontoMoore47 before you changed it from Samtorobby

10 minutes ago, section314 said:

Hope you can shed some light on this for me. The last 4-5 years, Ole Miss has put some excellent WR's and TE's into the league, yet nothing is really said about their Qb's. You would think somebody would take a flier on them. no?

Just a guess on my part but it feels like the system Ole Miss runs really gets the best out of the pass catchers who have YAC ability and the QB just never seems to be up to par in regards to his own positional talent. Lot of QB’s coming out of Ole Miss just don’t have much about them that makes you want to take him and see if they perform at the next level. Hugh Freeze was the coach during one of my high school classmates 4 years at Ole Miss and it just seemed like such a disconnect between the offensive players and their coach. The QB’s (Chad Kelly in particular) was never that talented but he was also never held accountable. He never developed properly. I just don’t think they have the intentions of recruiting and demanding excellence from their passers. I really wish my buddy would of taken the offer to Florida State. They wanted him to start right away. Instead he wasted his collegian career buried on the WR depth chart under Freeze.

I do believe Matt Corral is different though. Corral might be the first real deal QB that Ole Miss has had in a while.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

49 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We are so lucky that Joe Douglas decided to come to the Jets.  How we got Zach Wilson, AVT, Elijah moore and Michael Carter is unreal.  The nfl should open an investigation to see how this happened.

Thank you joe Douglas.  Thank you!!

You are really going to be happy with Michael Carter at RB.  I am an NC State guy but UNC's  Michael Carter is an absolute beast and ran with power.  I am very excited about this pick.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I find it a bit odd/interesting that Douglas basically had a draft that most all Jets fans have been screaming to have for nearly 20 years, but gets quite a bit of flack about how he went about.  Douglas appears to have nabbed solid OL and offensive playmakers early and lots of folks don't like he traded to do it or didn't trade back down or thought player X would have been available later or better etc.

These are the same people who would have complained about this... now just imagine the uproar if Vera-Tucker was from a small school & had been given a 6th rd grade by some well respected scouts... 

"A small school player, some well-respected scouts were giving Rice a sixth-round grade. Regardless, Walsh knew all of those above-mentioned receivers, including Rice would be gone by the time the 49ers were on the clock with the 28th pick. The pool of wide receiver choices shrunk with the 10th pick when the New York Jets selected Toon.

There was also another problem: there were reports that the Dallas Cowboys were eyeing Rice with the 17th overall pick.

With Brown and Rice available, the 49ers engineered a trade with the New England Patriots. The 49ers got the 16th overall and third rounder (75). The Patriots got a haul with the 28th overall selection, a second rounder (56) and a third rounder (84)."

I personally wouldn't call what the patsies got "a haul" but JD was dealing with 2 teams that had already traded ahead of him setting the price to move up.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, section314 said:

BLUF, QBs have been average to good for College but don't really have the tools for the Pro Game.  Also the Offensive systems have kept changing.

As an Ole Miss fan, I can answer this one.   Starting back with WR laquon Treadwell.  during that time, the QB didn't have the tools to make it in the NFL and also got hurt alot towards the end of his College career (Bo Wallace).  Next up was Chad Kelly, he has the tools for the NFL, but his off the field problems are what is causing that issue.   Next QB was a year of Shay Patterson who although highly recruited in HS never got better.  He only spent a year at Ole Miss before transferring to Michigan due to NCAA trouble with Ole Miss and also because he was beat out by Jordan Ta'amu.   At this time Ole Miss also hired Phil Longa as the OC.   His system was the absolute worst.  Jordan T. has the skills to be a backup QB and nothing more.   Think about this, Ole Miss had WRs AJ Brown, DK metcalf, Elijah Moore (freshman), and Dawson Knox TE in 2018 but couldn't score.  They would march up and down the field between the 20's and then get shut down in the redzone.   After Phil Longo left, Ole Miss had one year with Rich rodriquez as OC and used John Rice Plumlee as QB over Matt Corral because he is still running the same offense system as when he was at West Virginia with Pat White.    Now in comes Lane Kiffin.   they were really good on Offense last year with Matt Corral, but MC has a bit of Darnold in him and had some really bad games with multiple interceptions.   We will see how MC does this coming year.

BLUF

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Beaver said:

Think about this, Ole Miss had WRs AJ Brown, DK metcalf, Elijah Moore (freshman), and Dawson Knox TE in 2018 but couldn't score.

This sentence floored me. Like the old joke(s) about the guy with a hundred dollar bill taped to his forehead in in a Vegas cathouse who can't get any action ...

36 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I find it a bit odd/interesting that Douglas basically had a draft that most all Jets fans have been screaming to have for nearly 20 years, but gets quite a bit of flack about how he went about.  Douglas appears to have nabbed solid OL and offensive playmakers early and lots of folks don't like he traded to do it or didn't trade back down or thought player X would have been available later or better etc.

That’s because it doesn’t fit the narrative so many have used for years in their reporting of this team. Rather than trying to adapt to new journalism techniques, it’s easier to keep trying to go to the same well. 

and for those that do it, the continue to look more and more foolish with each tweet or article. 

8 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

No but kinda unfair considering that's 4 first round picks. Outside of that, there's nothing. 

Coles was their 3rd Rd pick in that draft as well 

Considering none of the rookies have played yet, let's wait and see 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I'm not sure that that'll be the best top 4 picks in Jets history.  The year that the Jets took both D'Brick and Mangold in the first round was pretty great. The next two picks were not good (Kellen Clemens in the 2nd stunk and Brad Smith in the 4th was useful for awhile), but those first two guys were studs for many years.

Still, those first four picks this year do look very promising.  It will all probably depend on how Wilson turns out.

My only minor gripe with the draft was not selecting another OL in the middle rounds (4-6). Just one more guy to add quality depth and possibly develop into a starter in a year or two.  But, whatever, maybe one of the UDFAs will be a gem, or maybe a decent young OL guy gets claimed in training camp/preseason.

Edit, just checked, the Jets took Schlegel in the 3rd round, so he was the 4th pick, not Brad Smith.  Awful pick/reach even at the time, and a total bust.

I said during the draft that this was my favorite Jets pick in years. I loved watching this guy on Saturdays and thought there was a chance he would even be picked before 23 (saw him mocked to the Bears at 20, I believe). 

Let's see what he can do in this offense. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Shockwave said:

At times there is fluff. 

Those of us here on Draft Day are aware there was a poster here that claimed the Jets were trying to move back into the first for Elijah Moore on the first day. Thats how much they liked him. So this is real stuff. 

Again - This is why you can't judge AVT in a vacuum. Elijah Moore would have been the pick at 23 and Michael Carter would have been selected by us in the 3rd round by all reports by the FO. 

This draft could have been:

Wilson, Moore 1.23, Jenkins 2.2, Michael Carter 3.2, Ronnie Perkins 3.23. Echols etc. 

Instead it was Wlson, AVT, Moore, Michael Carter. 

It worked out really well. 

I have to say that I don't believe for a second that Joe Douglas would've taken Michael Carter at #66. I don't care if he said that that's what he would've done. That's GM smoke-blowing (we got such amazing value at #107!). I do believe they liked Moore that much to take him at #23, though. I think that third round would've been another OL and a TE/FB. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We are so lucky that Joe Douglas decided to come to the Jets.  How we got Zach Wilson, AVT, Elijah moore and Michael Carter is unreal.  The nfl should open an investigation to see how this happened.

Thank you joe Douglas.  Thank you!!

I’m still struggling and adjusting to us having offensive players that could start on another NFL team. Weird, 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Its sort of unreal. I think it is the best 1st 4 picks ever in Jets history. Not only are they great individually but each one makes the other picks better. Also 4 likely Day 1 starters

Which one of you guys is gonna eat the cookie?  Jesus can these guys play a snap first.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

awesome read!

Joe D regime (sans Gase): No leaks

Now remember when Rex promised Quinton Coples (in front of others at the Combine I think) that if he were there at 16, he would be the pick?  Oy-vey.  Had it been a decent player, other teams would have tried to jump above.  But it was Coples.  

I am so sick of this bullsh*t story.  Rex was always spouting his mouth.  He was also always full of sh*t.  There were plenty of reports that the Jets wanted Irvin and only ended up with Coples because the Seahawks took Irvin the pick prior