Le'Veon not a happy camper in KC either. LOL

Le’Veon Bell would rather retire than play for Andy Reid again

LeVeon Bell

Le’Veon Bell’s NFL career has been a mess since his departure from the Pittsburgh Steelers, and it seems he still thinks that has a lot to do with the coaches he’s had.

Bell took aim at Kansas City Chiefs coach Andy Reid in a recent Instagram comment, saying he would “never play” for Reid again. Bell added that he’d “retire first” instead of working with Reid.

Bell seemingly alluded to Reid and former New York Jets coach Adam Gase in a tweet last month as well, complaining about a lack of opportunity from “these offensive minded gurus.”

Bell simply hasn’t been the same player since sitting out the 2018 season over a contract dispute with Pittsburgh. He did get opportunity during his first season with the Jets, but his yards per carry dropped to a career-worst 3.2. Things recovered slightly after his release led to a move to the Chiefs, but Reid effectively shelved Bell during the team’s playoff run. Given how the Chiefs have looked on offense under Reid, it’s certainly ridiculous to suggest that the Chiefs coach doesn’t know how to set up an effective offense.

Bell has promised big things for 2021, but he’s also blamed pretty much everyone else for his struggles for the last two years. It’s true that the Jets in particular were a bad spot for Bell, but it is a spot he chose as a free agent. He just doesn’t look like the same player as he was in Pittsburgh. Since he’s still a free agent, it’s pretty clear that NFL teams aren’t buying the lack of opportunity excuse either.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Also, your reminder that Mike Maccagnan handed this guy a 4-year, $52M contract.

Food Drink Mcdonalds GIF by Shaking Food GIFs

... and that many of the "geniuses" on here thought it was a good idea for a "me first" player who played behind one of the best lines and then sat out of football for a year to be signed to said contract

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

... and that many of the "geniuses" on here thought it was a good idea for a "me first" player who played behind one of the best lines and then sat out of football for a year to be signed to said contract

Yup.  I will add that what Bell did was kind of a necessary move for a RB, a position that gets screwed by the CBA, but Maccagnan didn’t need to be the one to swoop in for his rescue. Bell should have ended up a Colt for less money. 

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yup.  I will add that what Bell did was kind of a necessary move for a RB, a position that gets screwed by the CBA, but Maccagnan didn’t need to be the one to swoop in for his rescue. Bell should have ended up a Colt for less money. 

Honestly I didn’t mind the contract at the time because we literally had 0 offensive weapons and no prospects of a competent offense whatsoever. But the fact that he was a shell of his former self was the issue. If he produced like he did in Pittsburgh it would’ve been a good signing 

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

You run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. You run into assholes all day, you're the a**hole.

Funny my grandma used to say “if you have a problem with everyone else, the solution starts in the mirror.”

1 minute ago, Rhg1084 said:

Honestly I didn’t mind the contract at the time because we literally had 0 offensive weapons and no prospects of a competent offense whatsoever. But the fact that he was a shell of his former self was the issue. If he produced like he did in Pittsburgh it would’ve been a good signing 

And if Spartacus had a Panzer, he would’ve crushed the Roman legions.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

Le’Veon Bell would rather retire than play for Andy Reid again

LeVeon Bell

Le’Veon Bell’s NFL career has been a mess since his departure from the Pittsburgh Steelers, and it seems he still thinks that has a lot to do with the coaches he’s had.

Bell took aim at Kansas City Chiefs coach Andy Reid in a recent Instagram comment, saying he would “never play” for Reid again. Bell added that he’d “retire first” instead of working with Reid.

Bell seemingly alluded to Reid and former New York Jets coach Adam Gase in a tweet last month as well, complaining about a lack of opportunity from “these offensive minded gurus.”

Bell simply hasn’t been the same player since sitting out the 2018 season over a contract dispute with Pittsburgh. He did get opportunity during his first season with the Jets, but his yards per carry dropped to a career-worst 3.2. Things recovered slightly after his release led to a move to the Chiefs, but Reid effectively shelved Bell during the team’s playoff run. Given how the Chiefs have looked on offense under Reid, it’s certainly ridiculous to suggest that the Chiefs coach doesn’t know how to set up an effective offense.

Bell has promised big things for 2021, but he’s also blamed pretty much everyone else for his struggles for the last two years. It’s true that the Jets in particular were a bad spot for Bell, but it is a spot he chose as a free agent. He just doesn’t look like the same player as he was in Pittsburgh. Since he’s still a free agent, it’s pretty clear that NFL teams aren’t buying the lack of opportunity excuse either.

A harbinger of CJ Moseley.  Same thing.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

A lot to unpack here.  Gase got a ton of, well deserved, flack & Bell had a chance to make him look even worse.  If Andy Reid can’t make use of you, that’s a massive red flag.  Very disappointing quote by a guy I thought was a great player stuck in a bad fit or being misused with the Jets.

• Upvote 4

42 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Miko blocked me after I responded to her pregame Jets trash talk in 2015 with a picture of Brandon Marshall putting her hubby on an absolute POSTER in that same game.

Kobe Bryant GIF

All bark no bite.

My favorite quote:

"I'm just a loudmouthed bit@h with an amazing rack".

It was hard to choose.  It would make a cool thread.

• Haha 3

The Jets got a few games out of Bell before he hit a wall.  It happens with running backs all the time especially if they have a ton of wear and tear.  It also happens to players who miss extended periods of time (hold out or injury).

Blaming coaches or systems is silly.  Anyone with eyes can see that he's lost a couple of steps.  The burst is gone.

6 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

But Pittsburgh let him go for this exact reason:  He’s a RB who was very unlikely to ever produce like that again.  They understood his worth going forward. Maccagnan did not.  

Spending just to spend because of all the failed draft picks was a Macc speciality and it resulted in a lot of dead money. I believe we’re still dealing with $8M in 2021 dead cap space for Trumaine Johnson for that exact reason. 

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But Pittsburgh let him go for this exact reason:  He’s a RB who was very unlikely to ever produce like that again.  They understood his worth going forward. Maccagnan did not.  

Spending just to spend because of all the failed draft picks was a Macc speciality and it resulted in a lot of dead money. I believe we’re still dealing with $8M in 2021 dead cap space for Trumaine Johnson for that exact reason. 

Has any Steeler skill player in the Big Ben era ever been the same guy with his next team? Must be something in the water over there. This is why I remain incredibly skeptical of a guy like JuJu. Pittsburgh always seems to find the “next man up” it’s incredible. Great system and management.

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Pittsburgh didn’t exactly let him go, not easily anyway. They made a big effort to resign him but he demanded a number past their line. It ended up hurting both parties.

As an aside I still Can’t believe we’re paying Trumaine Johnson $8 million this year. It feels like the Bobby Bonilla contract.

• Upvote 3