Settle a Debate.... Do you have cash in your wallet/money clip right now

Do you have cash on you?   

35 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have cash on you?

• No
    • Yes more than $20
    • Yes $20 or less

So here's the back story.  I find it funny. Plus I am the yutz of the story so even better.

Was at home for lunch today.  Doorbell rang.  It was some neighborhood high school kid doing a fund raiser for the HS softball teams.  $20 bucks and you get this card with a bunch of discounts to local businesses.  Pretty standard stuff.  I absolutely would have bought it even though I wouldn't have used it once.  However, they took no form of payment other than cash and I rarely, if ever, carry cash.  So I make a harmless, non agressive comment to the seller saying the people in charge of the fund raiser didn't plan very well because who carries cash at a moments notice anymore.  The seller has no reply and I just tell her to stop back tomorrow and I'll have cash.  So now I gotta go slightly out of my way tonight to stop at an ATM to get 20 bucks in the event she follows through tomorrow.

When I closed the door my wife had a field day.  And I told her I bet a lot of people would also not have 20 dollars cash to give without notice.  She disagreed, even though she didn't either.

So yes, small step down from the Iowa Mafiosos, @Jetsfan80

• Haha 4

being dependent on the power grid, after the hurricane when electric was out for days and gas pumps only could take cash, I now have several thousands of dollars in twenties and some hundreds.  

I think of it as emergency money when no one wants to take or can’t take a credit card. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

being dependent on the power grid, after the hurricane when electric was out for days and gas pumps only could take cash, I now have several thousands of dollars in twenties and some hundreds.  

I think of it as emergency money when no one wants to take or can’t take a credit card. 

My friend lives in rural “Pennsyltucky”. 

he says we don’t need food rations or survival stoves or cash……because we have ammo

?

• Haha 1

Always have cash stashed at home, try to keep singles, 5s and 10s to tip delivery people so they don't get screwed by their employers and an emergency 'the Russkies hacked our banking system' stash both here and in the Poconos.

Also always have some in my money clip but rarely use it. I've had most of the same few hundred dollars in there since March until I paid my son and his friend to do a yard cleanup yesterday.

On 6/18/2021 at 5:43 PM, HawkeyeJet said:

So here's the back story.  I find it funny. Plus I am the yutz of the story so even better.

Was at home for lunch today.  Doorbell rang.  It was some neighborhood high school kid doing a fund raiser for the HS softball teams.  $20 bucks and you get this card with a bunch of discounts to local businesses.  Pretty standard stuff.  I absolutely would have bought it even though I wouldn't have used it once.  However, they took no form of payment other than cash and I rarely, if ever, carry cash.  So I make a harmless, non agressive comment to the seller saying the people in charge of the fund raiser didn't plan very well because who carries cash at a moments notice anymore.  The seller has no reply and I just tell her to stop back tomorrow and I'll have cash.  So now I gotta go slightly out of my way tonight to stop at an ATM to get 20 bucks in the event she follows through tomorrow.

When I closed the door my wife had a field day.  And I told her I bet a lot of people would also not have 20 dollars cash to give without notice.  She disagreed, even though she didn't either.

So yes, small step down from the Iowa Mafiosos, @Jetsfan80

Surprised people don’t keep some cash at home.  For emergencies.  And also to pay folks who do stuff - handyman electrician plumber. They all will take cash at a discount. 

I use to always keep a 50 or 100 hidden in my wallet for emergencies.   But not anymore.   I often now go out without much cash. 

• Upvote 1

I keep money hidden in my car  and at home for emergencies. But I don't walk around with money in my wallet. It's uncomfortable to sit on a bulky wallet if you keep it in your back pocket. If you prefer the front pocket, that's not an issue. But it just doesn't look good. I don't know.

I have a really thin wallet. It probably doesn't even qualify as a wallet. It's big enough to carry my ID, health insurance card, 2 credit cards and nothing else.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, batman10023 said:

why not get the 1% or 2% rebate on a credit card?

Years ago I had a huge downturn in my income, and my wife and I got into CC debt,   It took me a few years to get it turned around, I don't like them now.

My wife (remarried) uses ours, and I use it for gas, and we get the 1% back, but I just don't like them anymore.   Pay cash/equivalent or just don't buy.  

• Upvote 1

Years ago I had a huge downturn in my income, and my wife and I got into CC debt,   It took me a few years to get it turned around, I don't like them now.
My wife (remarried) uses ours, and I use it for gas, and we get the 1% back, but I just don't like them anymore.   Pay cash/equivalent or just don't buy.  
Sounds smart. You have to pay it off on time every month for it to make even a little sense to accumulate points/cash back.
  • Upvote 1

I use cash for a fair number of purchases.  I always have cash in my wallet.

Where I am VERY different than 95% of the people in the western world....

I have no smart phone and no working cell phone.

This is becoming a problem for me but I am still holding out.

15 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Seems like a strange distinction.  You have a non-working non-smart cell phone? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Seems like a strange distinction.  You have a non-working non-smart cell phone? 

I have no smart phone.

I have an old very small cell phone my niece gave me a few years ago, I let the one year minutes plan run out.  Thus it is currently a paper weight.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Beerfish said:

why would you put yourself in such a bad position?