Elijah Moore = too overhyped?

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

No idea, it's training camp.  They do alot of things in training camp.  In training camp last year, people thought Mims and Lawrence Cager were going to be a forces, lol.

I don't think we should be thinking of "starter" and "backup" in this system.  We're gonna field quite a few WR's this year, like a good offense often does, it's not going to be 1A and 1B 99% of the time and the other guys sit.

I'm certainly hopeful he is a good productive Pro who will fill his role well and allow us to move on from Crowder or similar next year.

Am I going to predict 800 or 1,000 or 1,200 yards and 8, 10 0r 12 TD's on some early camp chatter?  Come on man, lol.

Like I said, I'll start making predictions after I see these guys play, and especially Wilson throwing.  Moore can't produce if Wilson can't hit him in stride, and since I'm not at camp, so I have no idea as yet what Wilson can or will do.

Yeah but what fun is it waiting until the season starts to make predictions, what would we talk about in august? Lol 

• Haha 2

he runs crisp routes - he gets separation - he shows good hands - he has explosive step after catch - fools db’s on routes - studies his ass off - tries to get better every day - impressed the coaching staff big time ( as well as guys like corey davis) he has everything you’d possibly want in a receiver except xtra height and of course he hasn’t played one down in a real game - nonetheless i say he will be non qb offensive rookie of the year

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

If I had to guess, I’d say somewhere in the middle to be fair as well as safe.

65-75 catches, 850 yards, 6 TD’s.

Thats 50 yards a game and basically 1 td every 3 games.  After all the buzz he has been getting, this would be highly disappointing.

Id think 1,110 yards and 10 tds would be more realistic based on what hes doing in camp.

He’s all any of these reporters are talking about every single day. I don’t even know what to expect from him week 1? Is he gonna have a crazy rookie year like Jefferson did last year? What are the expectations on this kid 

The guy has been the best player on offense every day. Saying that is not “overhyping” him.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

He’s all any of these reporters are talking about every single day. I don’t even know what to expect from him week 1? Is he gonna have a crazy rookie year like Jefferson did last year? What are the expectations on this kid 

No you talk about the guys that are making plays simple as that. If he does it in game as well as practice then you got really excited. 

10 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Thats 50 yards a game and basically 1 td every 3 games.  After all the buzz he has been getting, this would be highly disappointing.

Id think 1,110 yards and 10 tds would be more realistic based on what hes doing in camp.

Justin Jefferson had 1400 yards in a 16 game season as rookie last year as a comparison 

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Watching Mims taking reps as a gunner today was legit sad to see.   

Listening to Saleh's Presser today, he opened up about Mims for a minute there. Sounds like a combination of things... getting pissy about his role, needing focus on his what he can control (would explain the gunner drills), and different Off system that he's taking time to adjust too. 

Listening to Rob - if it's going to work out for Mims, he'll coach it out of him... if it doesn't work out though, it's on Mims. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Listening to Saleh's Presser today, he opened up about Mims for a minute there. Sounds like a combination of things... getting pissy about his role, needing focus on his what he can control (would explain the gunner drills), and different Off system that he's taking time to adjust too. 

Listening to Rob - if it's going to work out for Mims, he'll coach it out of him... if it doesn't work out though, it's on Mims. 

heard the same presser and took the same takes away.  When I watch his reps his release moves have been what we expected coming out (although he tried a slide step on the goal line and looked stuck in the mud), but he is not stacking and getting leverage on the DB consistently.  Also looks like he isnt opening his stride enough to bust past guys.  This system is going to rely more heavily on gaining body positioning, stemming routes correctly, and getting leverage on DBs. He's going to have to adjust if he wants to get time.  Today at least we saw some of the contested catch ability he has so hopefully its something to build on. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

I think he's going to put up very nice numbers for a rookie with a rookie QB.. That said 2 things to consider.  1) Wilson is a rookie and probably will not afford Moore the same volume of opportunities that Cousins did to Jefferson.  and 2) Jefferson coming out, in my opinion, was a better more polished prospect. 

Id say to expect some of the best production we've gotten out of a Jets rookie wr maybe ever, but not quite at the level Jefferson produced last year.  Jefferson had 88 for 1400 and 7 tds  thats crazy production, especially yardage wise. 

Id expect moore to be in line closer to CeeDee Lambs stats last year. something in this ball park makes sense to me if he's given the opportunities.  74 for 935 and 5 tds  I think he can be in that ball parkish and Id be extremely pleased. 

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

Thank you Satan. 

me - loves Mims. “Ima just spread some pestilence on that one..”

me - Moore? Another crowder. “Here’s some Adrenochrome siphoned from The Hulk - lol canton”. 

I give up. 

lol i was right there with you on mims though man. We both had him high... in my opinion, its not us.. its baylor.  Gotta stop looking at that team lol 

Moore on the other hand....?

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

heard the same presser and took the same takes away.  When I watch his reps his release moves have been what we expected coming out (although he tried a slide step on the goal line and looked stuck in the mud), but he is not stacking and getting leverage on the DB consistently.  Also looks like he isnt opening his stride enough to bust past guys.  This system is going to rely more heavily on gaining body positioning, stemming routes correctly, and getting leverage on DBs. He's going to have to adjust if he wants to get time.  Today at least we saw some of the contested catch ability he has so hopefully its something to build on. 

The nuances of he's been able to work DBs needs to change, or he needs to become more flexible. Sounds like how he wants/likes to play the position is not how the staff need or want him to.  Friction ensues. More hip manipulation, and he has to work on his "tops"... as my QB used to say. 

13 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I have more reservations about Zach being legit than Elijah. Not hating. I just think EM has ‘it’.

Hot Fire Take that the WR who looks great is more likely to be great than the undersized Lance Bass look-a-like BYU QB who looks okay!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Paradis said:

The nuissances of he's worked DBs needs to change, or become more flexible. Sounds how he wants/likes to play the position is not how the staff need. Friction ensues. More hip manipulation, and he has to work on his "tops"... as my QB used to say. 

pretty much, he's never been asked to play this way. It's bound to be a big adjustment, and something that may take half the year to really work out.  The issue now seems that he's getting too worked up in his playing time and not just trying to get better every day.  He needs to get in extra work with Davis and Cole as they are the closest to his skill set on the team and learn from them.  Its not good when you hear Salehs comments about controlling what you can control, then see him struggling and as @sec101row23 said lining up incorrectly.  Just shows a lack of focus definitely and dedication to the craft possibly.   WR is an art form, you have to work it daily and in this system it requires artists. Right now mims is just fingerpainting. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

I've seen a few highlights ... we can handle some hype. In fact, i think we need it.

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Listening to the coaches and reading btwn the lines, I dont believe Mims takes football very seriously.  The vibe im getting is hes super talented but doesnt work much at his craft.

And all these guys the jets brought in live and breathe football so they r way ahead of him in regards to understanding this offense.

It’s hard not to get carried away with these reports.

Not everyone who has an opening camp like Moore becomes an all time great but it is the stuff of all time greats to come in and instantly look the best player on the team. Not just Jets fans saying this, anyone watching these practices is reporting the same, that he’s just different.

As for expectations on the season I’m not really too bothered. A lot will depend on how much we run, how good the other targets are and most of all how good Zach is. The comparisons to Jefferson are ridiculous because he was in an established passing offence. The Jets have been historically bad at passing for the best part of a decade and it will depend largely on Moore and Zach to buck that trend.

Anything over 700 yards for a rookie WR is pretty good. I just want to see these camp reports show up on the field. It’s looking like a pretty sure thing that he’s not going to bust at this point though. He certainly belongs.

2 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

pretty much, he's never been asked to play this way. It's bound to be a big adjustment, and something that may take half the year to really work out.  The issue now seems that he's getting too worked up in his playing time and not just trying to get better every day.  He needs to get in extra work with Davis and Cole as they are the closest to his skill set on the team and learn from them.  Its not good when you hear Salehs comments about controlling what you can control, then see him struggling and as @sec101row23 said lining up incorrectly.  Just shows a lack of focus definitely and dedication to the craft possibly.   WR is an art form, you have to work it daily and in this system it requires artists. Right now mims is just fingerpainting. 

I think you're probably close to the truth. Emotions can be challenging to manage if you haven't had to often in the past. We develop coping skills largely from experiential learning and leadership. Discipline is the minimum needed to change - and if Mims needed some inspiration for corrective action - making him work with 3s/gunner hopefully inspires that change -- you just have to be supportive as well - don't want to wreck their confidence on top of it.  If its done right - he will come out of this even better than before. If not, it's on him. 

This is my world of employment. 

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Listening to the coaches and reading btwn the lines, I dont believe Mims takes football very seriously.  The vibe im getting is hes super talented but doesnt work much at his craft.

And all these guys the jets brought in live and breathe football so they r way ahead of him in regards to understanding this offense.

Wildly presumptuous and jumping (nay, pole vaulting)  to conclusions.  There's a laundry list of reasons that could set a person off down the wrong path.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I think you're probably close to the truth. Emotions can be challenging to manage if you haven't had to often in the past. We develop coping skills largely from experiential learning and leadership. Discipline is the minimum needed to change - and if Mims needed some inspiration for corrective action - making him work with 3s/gunner hopefully inspires that change -- you just have to be supportive as well - don't want to wreck their confidence on top of it.  If its done right - he will come out of this even better than before. If not, it's on him. 

This is my world of employment. 

Agreed, and there may not be a better coach to pull it out of him than Saleh.  Seems to be his MO early on.  Fair, rewarding, nurturing, and yet holds guys accountable. Mims has to put in the work though, and so far it doesnt sound like he's had an easy go of doing that.  Lets hope todays catches help create some forward momentum. 

4 hours ago, ncjetman said:

he runs crisp routes - he gets separation - he shows good hands - he has explosive step after catch - fools db’s on routes - studies his ass off - tries to get better every day - impressed the coaching staff big time ( as well as guys like corey davis) he has everything you’d possibly want in a receiver except xtra height and of course he hasn’t played one down in a real game - nonetheless i say he will be non qb offensive rookie of the year

E6D2D272-C243-450B-837A-EB96F20B7C96.jpeg

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Agreed, and there may not be a better coach to pull it out of him than Saleh.  Seems to be his MO early on.  Fair, rewarding, nurturing, and yet holds guys accountable. Mims has to put in the work though, and so far it doesnt sound like he's had an easy go of doing that.  Lets hope todays catches help create some forward momentum. 

preach my dude... I think the right guy's in place to at least eliminate doubts about what WE could have done. 

Its not hard to see a scenario where it feels everything since the SB has been working against him, no combine, drafted by the worst Coach/GM tandem, you pull your hammies, Offense stinks and then the new OC  walks into the room and says - nah fck that, i need to play like this __ instead...

Doesn't excuse his struggles, but they're relatable if that's the case and hopefully 2021 is one of those years he talks about in the future as a humbling, growing experience on how to be professional and a resilient one too. 

I have been high on Elijah Moore since the Jets drafted him and I took the opportunity to do some in depth analysis on his game.

I think far too many people including draft experts sold him short as strictly a slot receiver and overlooked him. He has the versatility to line up anywhere, and his skills translate to much more of an impact player on the field. There is a reason the Jets front office was so high on him, and they were shocked he was available with their pick in the second round. Everything he has done to date is proving them right.

Let's hope this all translates to game day. I'm optimistic that the Jets have finally drafted a difference maker at the WR position.

Are we overhyping Moore? Eh, maybe considering he hasn't played a singer preseason game. BUT we've got pretty damn good reason to hype the kid up. Maybe the rookie of the year stuff might be us hyping him up but what's not hype is the fact that this kid has WOWED every single day he's stepped on the field since he got here. There isn't a single reporter that hasn't taken notice. Sh*t, Zach Wilson showed up to camp and Moore is STILL all the reporters are talking about!!!

We hype up ALOT around here lmao. For some reason with this kid, I have zero issue if we are over hyping him a little bit. Personally, I think the hype might be reasonable this time considering what the kids doing. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Lith said:

Its not just the Jets writers that are hyping up Moore.  National writers, PFF and guys who cover other teams are taking notice.

Exactly. As a fan base we do tend to overhype some players pretty quickly (some posters more than others!?) Quinnen compared to Warren Sapp, Michael Carter compared to Dalvin Cook, etc etc. 

I'm not sure it's fair to say that in this instance though. Everyone is excited as hell about Moore but the legitimate reasoning for it is there! This kid done something to wow literally at every single practice since he stepped on the field at rookie minicamp. We definitely tend to jump and overhype players on JN, but you read anything from reporters at camp and Moore is all they are talking about everyday. And as the poster above pointed out, it's not even just the local guys taking notice of him. 

We've overhyped a lot of guys undeservingly, but I don't think you can say that in this situation. No one has been able to come up with an example of a rookie WR standing out like this before. Hell I'm having trouble remembering any player standing out like he has every day. He's been out performing every WR on the roster, including Davis. I think some hype is warranted. This kid looks special. 

10 hours ago, Paradis said:

Thank you Satan. 

me - loves Mims. “Ima just spread some pestilence on that one..”

me - Moore? Another crowder. “Here’s some Adrenochrome siphoned from The Hulk - lol canton”. 

I give up. 

? Hey, at least that wonderful Jets fan irony seems to be producing something positive this time ??‍♂️