I'll say it now: Jets will be top 5 defense in the league in 2021 in yards per run, and top 15 defense overall.

Alka

1 hour ago, Alka said:

The first part of that statement I feel extremely confident about.  Take into account several factors:

1. Jets as bad as they were in 2020, still was tied for 6th overall in the NFL in defense in giving up yards per run on defense.

2.  Switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 should help, as well as bringing back a healthy CJ Moseley, who, if he is anything close to his pro-bowl self, should be a tackling machine.

3. Bringing in players like Lawson, Curry, Rankins, and then counting on Quinnen to continue to move forward on his play from last year to an even higher level, all spells gloom for opposing teams running backs.

As for top 15 defense overall:

1. The defensive line should be able to exert pressure on the QB this year, along with again, CJ Moseley in the mix should definitely help the secondary.

2. The secondary has more speed this year, and with the zone they will employ, will hopefully lead to a more effective unit, taking into account they will hopefully not have to cover the receivers as long with a legitimate pass rush up front.

Overall, I don't think it is a stretch to see this team develop into a top 15 defense this year.  Let's not forget that the Jets have one of the easier schedules in the league.  If the offense is able to run the ball, then that can lead to the defense spending less time on the field, thus helping the defense.  We will see!!

I said it before that they will be in the 10-12 range, if not better. 

• Upvote 1

We're going to have a top 1-3 NFL Defense

• Carl Lawson feasting from the edge at 4-3 DE and alongside of Quinnen Williams dominating within the interior @ 4-3 DT is going to = nightmare 1-2 punch on the D-Line. And opposing QBs will struggle mightily because of it. 

• C.J. Mosley is now 100% and he's going to ball out of control sideline to sideline @ MLB. Playing behind both Quinnen Williams and Carl Lawson he'll become physically unstoppable (Buffalo of week 1). 

• Marcus Maye is finally going to become the ball hawking Free Safety we drafted him to be because within coach Saleh's cover 3 zone scheme he's going to flourish while roaming Centerfield. 

• Hamsah Nasirildeen. Defensive steal of the draft. I'm an FSU fan. I know what this kid is capable of. 80-100 tackles as a Rookie he's going to become an electric sparkplug because not only is he the most physical defensive player who I've ever rooted for @ FSU but his energy is A+. Even coach Saleh knows this kid is too good to not start as a Rookie from day 1. 

• Because of our dominant front 7 being led by Lawson/QW/Mosley/Hamsah with Maye on the backend it's going to help both Bryce Hall and Bless Austin make an immediate impact @ CB. 

I'm so fired up about this 4-3 Cover 3 Defense under coach Saleh it's going to become A+. 

Zach Wilson is an awesome young talent with an A+ arm talent but if you're expecting an inexperienced Rookie QB to punk this Saleh led Defense during training camp on a consistent basis, you're mistaken; because it's not going to happen (nothing against Zach Wilson because he's yet to play a single preseason snap just yet and he's practicing against a top 1-3 NFL Defense before even getting his feet wet). 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Our Defense will be predicated on the offensive performance. If we can’t move the ball and/or Wilson is a turnover machine the D is going to be a bottom tier unit statisticslly

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2021 NFL

all defense is predicated on the success of their respective offenses dominating time of possession and keeping them off the field.

defense exists to create additional offensive possessions - turnovers and the occasional stops

most offenses can run a 10-play drive even with guys like Ryan Fitzpatrick and Jared goff

QBs and/or coaching have to be really, really bad not to generate points 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

2021 NFL

all defense is predicated on the success of their respective offenses dominating time of possession and keeping them off the field.

defense exists to create additional offensive possessions - turnovers and the occasional stops

most offenses can run a 10-play drive even with guys like Ryan Fitzpatrick and Jared goff

Teams scored just as many points in the 1960's as they did in the 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, 2010s and 2020's. 

So I'm not really understanding what you're saying man?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

2021 NFL

Average plays per possession is 5 in 2019, 6 in 2020 and were 5 on the 90’s. 

5 hours ago, Alka said:

The first part of that statement I feel extremely confident about.  Take into account several factors:

1. Jets as bad as they were in 2020, still was tied for 6th overall in the NFL in defense in giving up yards per run on defense.

2.  Switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 should help, as well as bringing back a healthy CJ Moseley, who, if he is anything close to his pro-bowl self, should be a tackling machine.

3. Bringing in players like Lawson, Curry, Rankins, and then counting on Quinnen to continue to move forward on his play from last year to an even higher level, all spells gloom for opposing teams running backs.

As for top 15 defense overall:

1. The defensive line should be able to exert pressure on the QB this year, along with again, CJ Moseley in the mix should definitely help the secondary.

2. The secondary has more speed this year, and with the zone they will employ, will hopefully lead to a more effective unit, taking into account they will hopefully not have to cover the receivers as long with a legitimate pass rush up front.

Overall, I don't think it is a stretch to see this team develop into a top 15 defense this year.  Let's not forget that the Jets have one of the easier schedules in the league.  If the offense is able to run the ball, then that can lead to the defense spending less time on the field, thus helping the defense.  We will see!!

i like the idea that is for sure!! I am hoping for top 15!!

6 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

• Carl Lawson feasting from the edge at 4-3 DE and alongside of Quinnen Williams dominating within the interior @ 4-3 DT is going to = nightmare 1-2 punch on the D-Line. And opposing QBs will struggle mightily because of it. 

• C.J. Mosley is now 100% and he's going to ball out of control sideline to sideline @ MLB. Playing behind both Quinnen Williams and Carl Lawson he'll become physically unstoppable (Buffalo of week 1). 

• Marcus Maye is finally going to become the ball hawking Free Safety we drafted him to be because within coach Saleh's cover 3 zone scheme he's going to flourish while roaming Centerfield. 

• Hamsah Nasirildeen. Defensive steal of the draft. I'm an FSU fan. I know what this kid is capable of. 80-100 tackles as a Rookie he's going to become an electric sparkplug because not only is he the most physical defensive player who I've ever rooted for @ FSU but his energy is A+. Even coach Saleh knows this kid is too good to not start as a Rookie from day 1. 

• Because of our dominant front 7 being led by Lawson/QW/Mosley/Hamsah with Maye on the backend it's going to help both Bryce Hall and Bless Austin make an immediate impact @ CB. 

I'm so fired up about this 4-3 Cover 3 Defense under coach Saleh it's going to become A+. 

Zach Wilson is an awesome young talent with an A+ arm talent but if you're expecting an inexperienced Rookie QB to punk this Saleh led Defense during training camp on a consistent basis, you're mistaken; because it's not going to happen (nothing against Zach Wilson because he's yet to play a single preseason snap just yet and he's practicing against a top 1-3 NFL Defense before even getting his feet wet). 

Screw this crap we're gonna be better than the 85 bears and the 86 Giants.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Just curious, what did this mean?

"most offenses can run a 10-play drive even with guys like Ryan Fitzpatrick and Jared goff"

Read it. 

It’s not a riddle. “A 10-play drive” does not mean average 10-play drives.

• WTF? 1

Do you post on warchant for FSU ? What’s your handle there ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Do you post on warchant for FSU ? What’s your handle there ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Na I've never posted on a college football site i just like to watch FSU and college Football on Saturdays. I get too attached to players and hate to see them leave every 3/4 years so posting about FSU on an FSU forum would become too much for me.

I just like to share my thoughts about my favorite FSU players here on JN because I always hope we draft those kids but for some reason we never really do (probably too many off the field concerns). But when we do they ball out for us.

Bobby Jackson (CB). 

Marvin Jones (MLB). 

Laveranues Coles (WR)..

Leon Washington (RB).

And I'm still frustrated still to this day how Maccagnan passed on Dalvin Cook a RB who I was begging for and instead drafted Marcus Maye out of Florida Gators ? 

(I'm hopeful Michael Carter out of UNC can take that taste out of my mouth he reminds me of an identical clone to #4) 

And Hamsah Nasirildeen will become no different. He has both the talent + heart to become the best of them all. 

• Sympathy 1

here's to hoping.  a stout defense will help wilson.  they need to be able to get key stops and hold field position if the offense sputters.  obviously it would be better if the offense can be consistent about putting together long drive but that's probably asking a little too much given the newness of the coaches and the players.  they could surprise.  the oline is looking pretty darn good with becton, moses, mcgovern, tucker.  get some good play from van roten or feeney and it'll be fun.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jethead said:

Mosley is legit. Lawson is killing it in TC. Soon it will be Q's turn to put his imprint on the defense. If he continues the growth he showed last year the sky's the limit.

All the young kidddos are icing on the cake!

As long as our two young CBs can hold their own in Hall and Bless we're going to feature a top 3 Defense under Saleh (especially if we remain healthy).

Because Carl Lawson, Quinnen Williams, C.J. Mosley and Marcus Maye will all feast under Saleh and I'm tell you now my FSU dude Hamsah Nasirildeen is going to become not only an impact force but a Defensive leader from day 1. 

Our front 7 is going to attack QBs and dominate the middle of the field and I can't name 1 NYG CB on a Giants Defense that feasted 2x vs. Tom Brady. 

• Upvote 1

The better the defense is, the less pressure Zack will feel to play absolutely mistake free. If he knows a mistake is made, or the O goes three and out, but the D will get him the ball back even on a short field, the looser and more relaxed he'll be - as loose as he can be with all the scrutiny he'll be enduring. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Bungaman said:

The better the defense is, the less pressure Zack will feel to play absolutely mistake free. If he knows a mistake is made, or the O goes three and out, but the D will get him the ball back even on a short field, the looser and more relaxed he'll be - as loose as he can be with all the scrutiny he'll be enduring. 

Mosely told him the Defense has his back!

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm gonna be honest I can't name any cornerbacks on the Jets at this point either.

Bryce Hall is a future All-Pro CB. 

image.thumb.png.fbfe48080497ba74b866a0ef8365dce6.png

Remember that name. 

As an FSU fan I'm ACC crazed and he was my favorite CB within the entire ACC while @ Virginia before his injury and was a guaranteed 1st round CB pick too. 

(Read below).

"Bryce Hall led all collegiate players in pass breakups his junior year, and he explored the possibility of entering the 2019 NFL Draft, even getting a grade from the NFL's Draft Advisory Board. After Virginia beat South Carolina in the 2018 Belk Bowl, Hall announced that he would return to UVA for his senior year. Mock drafts for 2019 had Hall going as high as the first round.  Despite earning first team All-Atlantic Coast Conference and second team All-American honors after his junior year, Hall cited a desire to improve himself and the Cavalier program as a main reason to stay for his senior season. Preliminary mock drafts before the 2019 season projected Hall as a first-round prospect in the 2020 NFL Draft". 

This is a 23 year old kid who passed up guaranteed 1st round millions in order to return to help his school and develop his talents before declaring. He got injured and paid the price of 5th round; but he'll get all of that missed out on $$$ back because he's a special talent and is going to emerge this year as a top tier NFL CB.

You know how and/or why he was able to make that freakish INT during his first only NFL start? Because he played WR before being converted to CB and he runs after the catch like a WR too.

We're going to love this kid man. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Bryce Hall is a future All-Pro CB. 

image.thumb.png.fbfe48080497ba74b866a0ef8365dce6.png

Remember that name. 

As an FSU fan I'm ACC crazed and he was my favorite CB within the entire ACC while @ Virginia before his injury and was a guaranteed 1st round CB pick too. 

(Read below).

"Bryce Hall led all collegiate players in pass breakups his junior year, and he explored the possibility of entering the 2019 NFL Draft, even getting a grade from the NFL's Draft Advisory Board. After Virginia beat South Carolina in the 2018 Belk Bowl, Hall announced that he would return to UVA for his senior year. Mock drafts for 2019 had Hall going as high as the first round.  Despite earning first team All-Atlantic Coast Conference and second team All-American honors after his junior year, Hall cited a desire to improve himself and the Cavalier program as a main reason to stay for his senior season. Preliminary mock drafts before the 2019 season projected Hall as a first-round prospect in the 2020 NFL Draft". 

This is a 23 year old kid who passed up guaranteed 1st round millions in order to return to help his school and develop his talents before declaring. He got injured and paid the price of 5th round; but he'll get all of that missed out on $$$ back because he's a special talent and is going to emerge this year as a top tier NFL CB.

You know how and/or why he was able to make that freakish INT during his first only NFL start? Because he played WR before being converted to CB and he runs after the catch like a WR too.

We're going to love this kid man. 

You're very optimistic and I hope you are correct, because if Bryce Hall and Hamsah Nasirildeen become the elite players you think they will become this defense will also be elite on every level.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

37 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

You're very optimistic and I hope you are correct, because if Bryce Hall and Hamsah Nasirildeen become the elite players you think they will become this defense will also be elite on every level.

I was super optimistic especially heading into 2009 where before the season started I created a thread of "2006 Jets vs. 2009 Jets" and went over each position vs. each position (player matchups) and had 2009 Jets having over 15 player advantages, like 3 draws (ties) and only like 5 2006 players getting an edge. One of my best threads created of All-Time and trust me when I say how I was laughed off of both JI and TGG when I created those threads. 

However. I wasn't very optimistic heading into 2020. After letting Robby Anderson walk (Sam's favorite weapon), trading away Jamal Adams (heart and soul of the Defense) and then immediately afterwards C.J. Mosley deciding to quit on Football (I think Adam Gase took  the love of the game away from him) I immediately made a 2020 season prediction. I predicted a  "3-13 season with potential to pull off a Rich Kotite 1996 disaster" and word for word too. 

But this offseason? 2021? Robert Saleh has me fired up as I was heading into 2009 type of fired up and this soon to be 2021 Offense? Has me more fired up than 2009's ever could in regards to passing potential. 

12-5 is my 2020 prediction

(because my 1-15 to 3-13 feelings are no longer there).

I'm not Nostradamus but I know a crap team when I follow one. And 2021's is no 2020. 

And yes. I believe both Hamsah Nasirildeen and Bryce Hall are A+ prospects. I won't bet my life on Bryce Hall because I'm not a Virginia fan and only saw a couple of his games live but I'll bet house on Hamsah Nasirildeen because as an FSU fan I never missed a single game of his and witnessed him record seasons of 90+ tackles and 100+ tackles. And he lined up everywhere and all over the Defense too from SS/LB/FS/CB (super versatile). Let's just say a tackling machine such as Jamal Adams only had seasons of 67 and 76 tackles @ LSU but yet went 6th overall. I'm telling you man. Nasirildeen is a freak of nature. He flys to the ball like I've never seen before out of an FSU player, he hits like a Mack Truck and throughout 20+ years of FSU Football he's by far the most physical player I've ever been fortunate enough to watch on Saturdays. His physically, Electricity and leadership ability @ OLB is going to become dominant (alongside of C.J. Mosley @ MLB).

image.png.13dadcf7cd21baa41a38b62ada377d13.png

Jets fans will fall in love with him and go out of our way to vote him into Pro Bowls because he's a better person than he is a player. 

image.png.95e3e46af6915881c0583c2c5e239d9c.png

I called it from day one. Sherwood has no chance to beat out Nas. Not because I know anything about Sherwood. Because I don't. It's just because I know everything about Nasirildeen and I know he's not getting beat by anyone. If any players intensity and electricity can match Saleh's it's Hamsah Nasirildeen.

(and Saleh doesn't have the heart to not start this kid).

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I was super optimistic especially heading into 2009 where before the season started I created a thread of "2006 Jets vs. 2009 Jets" and went over each position vs. each position (player matchups) and had 2009 Jets having over 15 player advantages, like 3 draws (ties) and only like 5 2006 players getting an edge. One of my best threads created of All-Time and trust me when I say how I was laughed off of both JI and TGG when I created those threads. 

However. I wasn't very optimistic heading into 2020. After letting Robby Anderson walk (Sam's favorite weapon), trading away Jamal Adams (heart and soul of the Defense) and then immediately afterwards C.J. Mosley deciding to quit on Football (I think Adam Gase took  the love of the game away from him) I immediately made a 2020 season prediction. I predicted a  "3-13 season with potential to pull off a Rich Kotite 1996 disaster" and word for word too. 

But this offseason? 2021? Robert Saleh has me fired up as I was heading into 2009 type of fired up and this soon to be 2021 Offense? Has me more fired up than 2009's ever could in regards to passing potential. 

I'm not Nostradamus but I know a crap team when I follow one. And 2021's is no 2020. 

And yes. I believe both Hamsah Nasirildeen and Bryce Hall are A+ prospects. I won't bet my life on Bryce Hall because I'm not a Virginia fan and only saw a couple of his games live but I'll bet house on Hamsah Nasirildeen because as an FSU fan I never missed a single game of his and witnessed him record seasons of 90+ tackles and 100+ tackles. And he lined up everywhere and all over the Defense too from SS/LB/FS/CB (super versatile). Let's just say a tackling machine such as Jamal Adams only had seasons of 67 and 76 tackles @ LSU but yet went 6th overall. I'm telling you man. Nasirildeen is a freak of nature. He flys to the ball like I've never seen before out of an FSU player, he hits like a Mack Truck and throughout 20+ years of FSU Football he's by far the most physical player I've ever been fortunate enough to watch on Saturdays. His physically, Electricity and leadership ability @ OLB is going to become dominant (alongside of C.J. Mosley @ MLB).

Jets fans will fall in love with him and go out of our way to vote him into Pro Bowls because he's a better person than he is a player. 

I called it from day one. Sherwood has no chance to beat out Nas. Not because I know anything about Sherwood. Because I don't. It's just because I know everything about Nasirildeen and I know he's not getting beat by anyone. If any players intensity and electricity can match Saleh's it's Hamsah Nasirildeen.

I Enjoy your enthusiasm and optimistic view. Only hope that all the accolades come to fruition. If that happens this may very well be a playoff team 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Yup. I could def. see this. And although our weakness is at the OLB and CB positions, the key to whether or not the secondary can hold their own is how well the safeties play. 

23 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Nas came back after looking like a sure fire first round prospect in 2019 and just did not look the same in 2020. I think that scared a lot of GMs off considering his ACL injury. Hes been looking like the fire and explosiveness is back so I'm excited to see him in the NFL. I think we really got a steal and he will be key to defensive success.