Jets Cuts to 53

Lith

First two cuts to be reported (I will keep this post updated as additional cuts are announced over next day.
  1. CB Lamar Jackson
  2. WR Lawrence Cager
  3. DB Bennett Jackson (corresponding move to Shaq Lawson trade)
  4. S JT Hassell
  5. DL Aaron Adeoye
  6. OL Corey Levin
  7. DL Jeremiah Valoaga
  8. OL Jimmy Murray
  9. QB Josh Johnson
  10. DE Hamilcar Rashed
  11. OG David Moore

First cuts announced.  Not surprised by either.  Cager was a numbers game at WR and he doesn't play STs.  jackson I asssumed was a bubble player.  Maybe practice squad.

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I was hoping Cager would develop and stick, but it was purely irrational on my part and I can't even explain why other than I always favor the bigger guys at any position.  Maybe he'll be back to PS but wish him luck in any case.

Dan - I felt exactly the same way about the guy.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I was hoping Cager would develop and stick, but it was purely irrational on my part and I can't even explain why other than I always favor the bigger guys at any position.  Maybe he'll be back to PS but wish him luck in any case.

I would think that you would not cut a guy today if you want to bring him back to the PS.  May as well have him practice with the team today and tomorrow, and release him prior to the 4PM Tues deadline.  I would think guys released today are those that are not in future plans. 

But maybe I am reading too much into the timing.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I like Cager as well and was hoping he'd be snuck back onto the PS - especially given Cole (and Crowder) are only here for 2021.  But I feel like we usually don't cut the guys we're bringing back to the PS so early.. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, nycdan said:

everyone likes the big lean athletic receivers....and i think cager can catch. to be honest i am not sure why he hasnt been able to stick outside of not being on specials as far as i know.

2 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

everyone likes the big lean athletic receivers....and i think cager can catch. to be honest i am not sure why he hasnt been able to stick outside of not being on specials as far as i know.

He has size, but I don't see Cager as being very athletic.  I was rooting for the guy, but I am not surprised by his release.

• Upvote 2

Makes sense that these guys are being cut, since they are not at practice, but the only guy reporting it so far is Will Parkinson, a podcast host at TOJ.  Nothing is confirmed yet.

I may have jumped the gun on the thread, but we will see what plays out.

Fans can argue that these two cuts may not have needed to be the FIRST two on the roster. But when you look at these players at their positions, they are at the very bottom of the barrel. I'm not at all surprised by the cuts if the Jets were looking to trim down CB and WR. 

We'll see other positions start to get trimmed down soon enough. 

6 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

They may have cut him today to give him a better chance to stick somewhere else. I'd like to believe Salah is the kind of guy that would do that. 

I could see that being the case for a vested vet who would immediately become a free agent.  Don't think that matters for guys who have to clear waivers -- its not like a free agent looking for the right opportunity.

8 minutes ago, Lith said:

I could see that being the case for a vested vet who would immediately become a free agent.  Don't think that matters for guys who have to clear waivers -- its not like a free agent looking for the right opportunity.

In the past it would also give them a head start on getting up to speed with a new team.  That won't matter here with the deadline tomorrow, but when the cuts were right before week 1, it was nice to give guys a week to settle in.  I like this timing.  There are a million things it could be for them not being out there.  I'd hope we can work some late round trade offers, but I am not sure these guys would rate.

9 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I'm surprised about Lamar Jackson. I'm also surprised they didn't try to convert him to a Safety or Hybrid S/CB. 

Agree about converting him to safety or a hybrid - thought his size and ball skills might translate well and straight line speed might be less of an issue. Curious now if they try to sneak him through to the PS.

Corner group is going to be interesting, lots of guys competing for spots there. May boil down to who they feel is the best bet to sneak through waivers and stash on the PS.

3 minutes ago, rangerous said:

that was my thought too about fant.  could be he's being traded and don't want to get him injured.

The thing with that is...given our situation at OT, what I would *want* for Fant so far exceeds what I think any team would rationally be willing to offer, I don't think a trade is really possible.  I suppose if a team with playoff hopes was looking at a situation where they had nothing at one tackle position, they might be desperate enough to do something like that.

What would it take?  IMO, given the risk to Wilson's development, it would either have to be a starting Edge rusher or CB (which on our team doesn't mean that much) or a 1st round pick, along with a replacement OT.  I can't see either of those happening.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Lith said:

First cuts announced.  Not surprised by either.  Cager was a numbers game at WR and he doesn't play STs.  jackson I asssumed was a bubble player.  Maybe practice squad.

thought Lamar was a little further ahead than this. Is this year 3? I love his size, coming out of nebraska i want to say - but haven't heard his name pop much....