Jets Cuts to 53

Lith

43 minutes ago, Lith said:

Final Cuts

Well, all hell will soon break loose. 

Morgan?  Surprised to see it along with Johnson.  Cutting to two QBs in COVID land.  I dunno.  But I do believe that Johnson will be added to the practice squad as the emergency QB (who remains at home) in case of QB room contamination.

Griffin AND Brown?  I am not shocked but I must note that we are now down to Kroft and Wesco.  And Wesco is not really a tight end.  As for Brown, the old man will return on special teams for the kickoff on opening day.  Count on it.  I think it is obvious that we are also in the midst of trade discussions or have already put in claims on veterans.  I could see us add two guys.  I could also see us add Ben Mason from the Ravens and cut Wesco.  

I am stunned to see Neasman get cut.  We are down to three safeties and Davis missed the entire preseason.  It is not that I love Neasman but the Jets really do need three safeties in case somebody goes down.  To my knowledge, Davis has not practiced.  I guess we intend to test the versatility of our corners. 

Eight corners?  Really?  Hall, Austin, Echols, Guidry, MC2, Pinnock, Dunn and Hardee. 

Aside from the Morgan trade, I cut everybody here (along with a few more).

I expect the Jets plan to do just that when they are awarded waiver claims.

EDIT:  In my haste to head off to dinner, I failed to mention the cut of Grant Hermanns.  I would not have done that and disagree with the decision.  If he is claimed, we will regret it. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

i dont think u can cut berrios. he does too much on specials, he also seems to be one of the reliable guys you can throw out there for a young QB. i think there is a lot of value in that.

Berrios is one of the stronger 5th/6th receivers in the NFL. He was largely our #2 last year. He has ST value and is friends with Zach. I expected us to keep 7 WRs. I think Jeff Smith won a roster spot when he showed how much of a weapon he can be in Jet motion.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

Morgan?  Surprised to see it along with Johnson.  Cutting to two QBs in COVID land.  I dunno.  But I do believe that Johnson will be added to the practice squad as the emergency QB (who remains at home) in case of QB room contamination.

Griffin AND Brown?  I am not shocked but I must note that we are now down to Kroft and Wesco.  And Wesco is not really a tight end.  As for Brown, the old man will return on special teams for the kickoff on opening day.  Count on it.  I think it is obvious that we are also in the midst of trade discussions or have already put in claims on veterans.  I could see us add two guys.  I could also see us add Ben Mason from the Ravens and cut Wesco.  

I am stunned to see Neasman get cut.  We are down to three safeties and Davis missed the entire preseason.  It is not that I love Neasman but the Jets really do need three safeties in case somebody goes down.  To my knowledge, Davis has not practiced.  I guess we intend to test the versatility of our corners. 

Eight corners?  Really?  Hall, Austin, Echols, Guidry, MC2, Pinnock, Dunn and Hardee. 

It is clearly not a finalized roster. Some guys that are super happy today will be in pain tomorrow.  Like I said something big has to be in the works at TE

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

Neasman is a vested vet who  does not have to go through waivers so they probably have an agreement to bring him back when a couple of guys are added to IR.  Zuniga, Davis, McDermott could open up 3 spaces if they all go to IR tomorrow.  I think Blair is also vested vet, so they may have agreement to bring him back too.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Practice Squad
The NFL is following the same format as the 2020 season. In addition to the traditional practice-squad qualifications, teams can have up to four players who don't have more than two accrued seasons without a game limitation and up to six players with no limitations of accrued seasons. One example of this from last season was when the Green & White added LB Alec Ogletree, who was 28 and played in 93 games in seven seasons at the time, to the P-squad.

Like last year, teams are allowed to promote two players from their practice squad on gameday and each player called up will revert back to the PS. Practice squad players cannot sign with another team's practice squad but are free to sign with another team's 53-man roster at any time unless they are one of their team's protected players. Teams decide on four protected players weekly.

Essentially it’s a 55 man roster this year like last year 

• Upvote 1

Just now, johnnysd said:

It is clearly not a finalized roster. Some guys that are super happy today will be in pain tomorrow.  Like I said something big has to be in the works at TE

Could be nohting more than they saw a couple of guys they like hit the waiver wire and with #2 priority they are in great shape to add one or two guys without giving up any significant value.  Add to that the Vikings offering a 4 for Herndon and a 6, and the deal may have been too good to pass up.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, I picked him to us in the 4th before the draft.  I followed a few games of him and thought he was worth a shot.  We'll see he may or may not pan out.  Thats how the draft works.  Who'd you have in the 4th?  No one, nice

You on the other hand just whine about a player in his first camp, basically a rookie and pretty much every other Jet move JD makes.

And for some dumb as reason, theGoochJR @Fantasy Island gave it a thumbs down

Looks like your god jd agreed with me

14 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Berrios is one of the stronger 5th/6th receivers in the NFL. He was largely our #2 last year. He has ST value and is friends with Zach. I expected us to keep 7 WRs. I think Jeff Smith won a roster spot when he showed how much of a weapon he can be in Jet motion.

i think smith may be gone with the evolving wavers. i agree that his value looked to be the jet sweeps and motion plays in the last game...the thing is that Moore is very similar and probably better.

9 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

not that all these guys are not JAG's or anything but why? guy has 67 career receiving yards in the regular season.

He has had a great training camp and looked good in preseason . A team with Gronk,  oj howard and brate.. he isnt gonna get much playing time. By no means am i saying he is superstar or anything like that . Just think he could become a solid receiving TE.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

not that all these guys are not JAG's or anything but why? guy has 67 career receiving yards in the regular season.

Bucs released TE Tanner Hudson. 

Hudson, a preseason superstar who caught 11 balls for 130 yards in three games this month, was the subject of constant criticism from Tampa head coach Bruce Arians, who was unhappy with Hudson's blocking and lack of special teams contribution. Hudson's pass-catching prowess could make him an appealing target for teams in need of a pure pass-catching tight end.

• Upvote 1

Obviously there will be tweaks made to the roster, so I’m assuming somethings going to be done at LB where we currently only have 4 active players with Davis hurt, and 2 of those 4 are rookies.  I’m sure there’s a plan with other pickups, procedural moves, etc….but seems a little risky.

11 minutes ago, Rob Moore said:

Obviously there will be tweaks made to the roster, so I’m assuming somethings going to be done at LB where we currently only have 4 active players with Davis hurt, and 2 of those 4 are rookies.  I’m sure there’s a plan with other pickups, procedural moves, etc….but seems a little risky.

It's worse than you think.  One of the others is Cashman.  We will have to keep a linebacker or two on the practice squad in addition to claiming somebody on waivers. 

On a more serious note, Cashman has always shown talent.  I would be delighted to see him put it together after all he has endured.  Nevertheless, his injury history - just like the extensive injury history of Tyler Kroft - means we MUST have a competent backup on the team.   

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, derp said:

When can guys be placed on IR with designation to return?

After the team has cut down to 53 players, it can begin to designate players.  Recall IR is only available to players who have made the final 53.  I believe that teams can make moves as soon as they reach 53 and submit the roster to the league.  Here is a good site with all the rules. 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-roster-cuts-2021-deadline-rules/t4agmpiuyveo11wc540pj2knw

9 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

It's worse than you think.  One of the others is Cashman.  We will have to keep a linebacker or two on the practice squad in addition to claiming somebody on waivers. 

On a more serious note, Cashman has always shown talent.  I would be delighted to see him put it together after all he has endured.  Nevertheless, his injury history - just like the extensive injury history of Tyler Kroft - means we MUST have a competent backup on the team.   

I totally agree on Cashman, when healthy and on the field he has looked more than capable….hopefully the injuries are behind him.  I try not to get too up or down regarding cuts bc there’s always reasons/corresponding moves to be made.  But one has to assume there’s something coming at both LB and TE.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lith said:

Maybe that was his strategy.  If I do nothing all summer to stand out to the coaches, maybe they will forget all about me on cut down day.  Seems to have worked -- at least for now.  I am guessing he goes on IR tomorrow to open up a roster spot.

Please Don't Mock Office Space's Milton | The Mary Sue

• Haha 1

I'm ok with the moves at QB. Johnson wasn't much of a vet and Morgan impressed less than White. I thought White was easily the second best QB of the four through the preseason. 

Certainly hope something is in the works on TE and DE. 

That leaves a lot of CBs on the roster but the position certainly isn't a lock for anybody in that group. I can understand a strategy of continuing to try out a lot of players and see who emerges. Hopefully we have at least one starter and some depth guys in that group. 

• Upvote 1