Surgery for Becton, out 4-8 wks

BroadwayRay

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

That wouldn’t be so surprising and would leave the jets with perhaps a new LT of the future, and then what, you trade bechton?

He might be better suited for RT.  He's a mauler and might be good on that side.  It's going to be hard to trade him unless he comes back and puts some good tape up.

Not sure you could move Becton inside?  

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

11 hours ago, SAR I said:

Meatball on toothpicks never should have been drafted.  He’s not a “freak”, he’s a mistake.  No eye of the tiger, can’t stay healthy, and showed up as a human turnstile all summer.

SAR I

Not sure how you’re measuring “eye of the tiger”

The health part doesn’t make sense since concussion not his fault and this last injury obviously not his fault. He’s not injury prone he’s had bad luck with injuries which is a big difference. 

Showed up as a turnstile all summer? Thought he played very well in the preseason games. Not his fault he was going against backups. 

I’m not saying he’s perfect, he’s def better at run blocking and needs to work on his pass blocking but it’s his 2nd year out of Louisville man, if you’re writing him off 2 years in then I’m glad you aren’t our GM - terrible manager. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Stop, not like they are going to leave him up to his own devices. Team got him a nutritional consultant. 

E11A84C0-47D0-497D-AB47-F8216BBDF39E.gif

We are seeing it with Trent Brown.  Guys that big don’t hold up in the NFL.  He should be put on a strict diet while he injured and they should try and get his weight down 10%

Look at Brick-he was not bulky, but never missed a game.  Ok-he was ok-but guys like Joe Thomas, etc are plenty big for that job. 

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Lith said:

did he get the surgery?  i thought i saw a report thursday that said he was seeking a second opinion.  i don't know what to make about the second opinion though.  it sounds like he's not as tough as maybe we want him to be.  last season he pulled himself out of a couple of games for not very much.  that's okay for sports that aren't so reliant on reps and playing as a team.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

did he get the surgery?  i thought i saw a report thursday that said he was seeking a second opinion.  i don't know what to make about the second opinion though.  it sounds like he's not as tough as maybe we want him to be.  last season he pulled himself out of a couple of games for not very much.  that's okay for sports that aren't so reliant on reps and playing as a team.

He’s getting surgery eventually.

On 9/17/2021 at 1:30 PM, CanadaSteve said:

This is a fair assessment.  Becton in college was a man playing with boys.  Becton in the pros is a man playing with men.  He isn't going to get buy on his size.  Having to work hard to block guys stronger than him will mean he needs strength, not just his weight.  If he doesn't buy into the need for a proper NFL weight conditioning program, he won't last.  But it's up to him.  And it will be up to the Jets to drill that into him.

I would think it would be prudent, since the Jets have 5 picks in the first three rounds, to draft another LT.  Doesn't hurt to show Becton he doesn't get a free ride, and doesn't hurt to have depth and a possible replacement, while sliding Becton to RT or the interior.  Would also be prudent to draft a center as well. 

Fant won't be here next year - he wants a starting spot, and no way will he sign up for far less money to play swing backup for the Jets. And to be honest, he's not a guy that we want to pay starter money to even if he does start.

So yes, drafting a LT next year would be prudent, although I'm thinking more 2nd to 3rd rounder rather than using a top pick (unless there's an elite prospect that we're not reaching for). 

And I'm fully with you on drafting interior OL too ... keep drafting them until you have a strong line, and then draft more. Injuries happen, FA happens, retirements happen, so keep the pipeline well stocked.

• Sympathy 1

Even if Becton comes back strong this season, I hope the Jets prioritize LT (and C, for god's sake), as priorities next offseason.  Draft a young stud LT and slide Becton to the right side.  At this point, he's having all kinds of problems staying on the field (shoulder, concussion, knee), and like any team the Jets needs someone much more reliable than him on the left side.

• Upvote 1

We are seeing it with Trent Brown.  Guys that big don’t hold up in the NFL.  He should be put on a strict diet while he injured and they should try and get his weight down 10%

Look at Brick-he was not bulky, but never missed a game.  Ok-he was ok-but guys like Joe Thomas, etc are plenty big for that job. 

Brick was much better than ok. He wasn’t ever dominant but he anchored the left side for a decade and you can’t ask for more than that

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 3

Becton cannot be counted on for this season or in the future. Several mental and physical red flags. If he develops, great. But he cannot be counted on as a cornerstone until he proves it year after year. 

Douglas needs to target Oline help before this seasons trade deadline. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, rangerous said:

He did not get the surgery yet.  Yesterday there were some conflicting reports saying he already had it.  Sounds like its scheduled for next Wednesday.  I am not questioning his toughness, but I do agree with you.  Gotta be concerned about his ability to stay on the field.  Shoulder last year, foot injury during the offseason, concussion during presseason and now the knee.  He has to get and stay healthy.  

He did not get the surgery yet.  Yesterday there were som conflicting reports saying he already had it.  Sounds like its scheduled for next Wednesday.  I am not questioning his toughness, but I do agree with you.  Gotta be concerned about his ability to stay on the field.  Shoulder last year, foot injury during the offseason, concussion during presseason and now the knee.  He has to get and stay healthy.  

Cartiledge cleanout on a 400 lbs frame ? This could end up a lingering nightmare that haunts him every year.

Fingers crossed it dosen't create some kind of bone on bone situatuon. Im not a dr. So what do i know ?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Crowder will make a big difference, he's been doing the same thing since he has been in the league, and always over looked, but he isn't selfish,he took a pay cut and hasn't missed a step, not like half the players that get drafted these days are looking for guaranty$$$ and don't ever prove themselves. 

2 hours ago, Barton said:

Becton cannot be counted on for this season or in the future. Several mental and physical red flags. If he develops, great. But he cannot be counted on as a cornerstone until he proves it year after year. 

Douglas needs to target Oline help before this seasons trade deadline. 

This injury would have happened to any LT in the history of the NFL getting rolled up like that. Frankly, he's lucky it wasn't worse. It has nothing to do with some "physical red flag" or being "injury prone". Why does this dumb nonsense get repeated ad nauseam on here?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

22 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

This injury would have happened to any LT in the history of the NFL getting rolled up like that. Frankly, he's lucky it wasn't worse. It has nothing to do with some "physical red flag" or being "injury prone". Why does this dumb nonsense get repeated ad nauseam on here?

Did he play the whole season last year?

21 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Jets fans sh*t all over Brick his first 2 seasons too. It's what they do.

Brick came out of UVA a skinny 270 pounds.  He bulked up to 300 and was solid.  Not always Pro Bowl, but got the job done in 2 AFCCGs.  Can’t ask for more than that.  

Look what JD did with CBS and S/LB-he drafted a bunch of them.  That is somewhat ironic, because CBs and LBs are available in FA. QBs and OL are not.   JD needs to use draft picks to take OL until he has 8-9 good linemen.  He can sign in FA the other positions. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

He did not get the surgery yet.  Yesterday there were some conflicting reports saying he already had it.  Sounds like its scheduled for next Wednesday.  I am not questioning his toughness, but I do agree with you.  Gotta be concerned about his ability to stay on the field.  Shoulder last year, foot injury during the offseason, concussion during presseason and now the knee.  He has to get and stay healthy.  

the quote in the tweet is actually pretty encouraging.  it sounds like he wants to get back in and play.  these guys gotta be tough and play tough.

4 minutes ago, varjet said:

Brick came out of UVA a skinny 270 pounds.  He bulked up to 300 and was solid.  Not always Pro Bowl, but got the job done in 2 AFCCGs.  Can’t ask for more than that.  

Look what JD did with CBS and S/LB-he drafted a bunch of them.  That is somewhat ironic, because CBs and LBs are available in FA. QBs and OL are not.   JD needs to use draft picks to take OL until he has 8-9 good linemen.  He can sign in FA the other positions. 

Loved Brick. Taking him and Mangold in the same draft was a homerun for Tanny.

Not taking a C in the last two drafts is the biggest mark against JD so far IMO. In fact, if he had taken a C in the draft that bumped McGovern to RG, this Becton injury probably doesn't happen ...

• Upvote 4

21 hours ago, Be_a_Jet said:

Not sure how you’re measuring “eye of the tiger”

The health part doesn’t make sense since concussion not his fault and this last injury obviously not his fault. He’s not injury prone he’s had bad luck with injuries which is a big difference. 

Showed up as a turnstile all summer? Thought he played very well in the preseason games. Not his fault he was going against backups. 

I’m not saying he’s perfect, he’s def better at run blocking and needs to work on his pass blocking but it’s his 2nd year out of Louisville man, if you’re writing him off 2 years in then I’m glad you aren’t our GM - terrible manager. 

The definition of injury prone is someone who is frequently injured. 

I would say in his first 2 seasons that label fits him like a glove.

• Upvote 2