Cowboys release Jaylon Smith

Rhg1084

29 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I loved him when he was at Notre Dame, but:

a.) Injuries have derailed him.

b.) Most Cowboys fans have said that he has played poorly in the same scheme he’d be in here.

I'm seeing all these clips on Twitter, and he looks really slow.

I loved him coming outta ND as well, but dude looks shot, that injury did a number on him

• Upvote 2

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/10/05/cowboys-announce-release-of-jaylon-smith/

Cowboys announce release of Jaylon Smith
Posted by Charean Williams on October 5, 2021, 9:35 PM EDT

USA TODAY Sports
The Cowboys announced their decision to cut veteran linebacker Jaylon Smith.

According to the official team website, the Cowboys are releasing Smith after exploring trade possibilities.

“The move doesn’t save the Cowboys anything on this year’s salary cap since his salary was guaranteed but potentially saves them from a guaranteed salary in 2022 if he were injured,” Nick Eatman wrote on the team website in explaining the move.

The Cowboys owe Smith the remainder of his $7.2 million base salary this year. His contract was guaranteed for injury for 2022 when he was scheduled to make $9.2 million in base salary and count $11.8 million against the salary cap.

Smith signed a five-year, $64 million extension in August 2019.

Even though he led the team in tackles last season, Smith faced criticism and questions about his future after the Cowboys allowed the most points in franchise history. He kept his spot on the roster out of training camp despite the additions of veteran Keanu Neal and rookie draft choices Micah Parsons and Jabril Cox.

But his role was reduced as Smith played 56 percent of the defensive snaps, including 40 percent or fewer in two of four games.

2 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

we just lost another LB to IR… I believe our only active LBs are Mosley, Williams, and Sherwood. I’d bring in Smith as a depth move more than anything else

Given our depth chart at the position, I agree that we should at least explore the possiblity of signing him.  But as a vested vet, he is a free agent -- he can decide where he wants to go if he has offers.  We might be able to offer him more playinig time than other teams, but he may have other opportunities where he has a better chance to win.

9 minutes ago, Lith said:

Given our depth chart at the position, I agree that we should at least explore the possiblity of signing him.  But as a vested vet, he is a free agent -- he can decide where he wants to go if he has offers.  We might be able to offer him more playinig time than other teams, but he may have other opportunities where he has a better chance to win.

It'll come down to money

38 minutes ago, Pichula said:

Did you think he was a trash cuttable player? 

If we’re just going based on his play and not CAP implications?  Yeah; he’s been that bad for Dallas.  An honest shame.  Dude was electric, but he can’t move laterally.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

It'll come down to money

Not sure that matters.  He is due about $7M this season from the Cowboys.  I assume anything paid by new team will be offset from Cowboys contract.  So new team will sign him vet minimum and Cowboys will pay the rest of his salary.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

He ain’t playing for us this weekend in London. 

He ain’t playing for us on our bye week. 

And the week after, we get Jarrad Davis back from IR. 

I think we’ll be fine. 

Both from 2017 draft class.

smith has 516 combined tackles.
davis has 305.

obviously haven’t seen Davis as a jet but smith is the better player here. I always though of Davis as a first round bust to be honest. 

• Upvote 1

Less than 1% chance we sign him. 

Awesome guy, had generational potential if not for that last game at Notre Dame sustaining permanent peroneal nerve damage so he had drop foot, wearing an awkward brace just to keep the toes up.

Glad he got paid and is set for life.  Damaged, declining goods. Opposite of every move Douglas has made.

• Upvote 1