Would you still draft Zach if we could have a do-over?

Rangers9

Would you draft Zach Wilson at overall #2 if you could do-over today?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. After watching Zach for 5 weeks would you take him at #2?

• Still draft Zach at overall #2
    • I wouldn't draft Zach again, either select somebody else or trade the pick

After 5 games I think he has unusual talent which is what the FO and HC saw from him. He is pretty cool under pressure esp for a rookie. Is he a fast learner? Not sure about that but if he wasn't as talented as he is his performances would be even worse than so far. And he hasn't been terrible just so far not that good. btw JD said if not for that talent level (of Zach) he wouldn't have traded Darnold who he said he thought highly of. 

• Upvote 2

Of course you could also draft Zach in a lower position if he were to fall like to overall 6th or lower. Say the Jets traded down to 5 or 6. There weren't that many rumors about Zach with other teams at the time of the draft because the assumption was that JD would select him it wasn't a secret. But if JD had traded down would Zach have fallen? The assumption was you'd think he would have been top 5 even if the Jets had passed on him. 

I’d take Zach over Mac Jones not sure if Patriots had that choice which QB they would have selected. Jones has the advantage of playing on a better team with more established coaching staff and IMO a better weekly game plan. NEP and McDaniel gives him a better chance to win every week than Jets CS. Plus he’s played well. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Are you being serious or no? Does Wilson not have the arm strength? Allen struggled also with his accuracy and short passes also when he came in the league 

Yes, I'm being dead serious.  Zach Wilson isnt half the athlete of Josh Allen, doesnt have near the arm strength and he has talents, you cant teach, that Zach will never have.  And that's not really a knock on Wilson.  Allen is a freak.  They dont make QB's like that dude very often, he's that rare. 

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Of course you could also draft Zach in a lower position if he were to fall like to overall 6th or lower. Say the Jets traded down to 5 or 6. There weren't that many rumors about Zach with other teams at the time of the draft because the assumption was that JD would select him it wasn't a secret. But if JD had traded down would Zach have fallen? The assumption was you'd think he would have been top 5 even if the Jets had passed on him. 

SF would have taken him.  We likely would have traded out of 2 with SF and they take Wilson.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JiFapono said:

Yes, I'm being dead serious.  Zach Wilson isnt half the athlete of Josh Allen, doesnt have near the arm strength and he has talents, you cant teach, that Zach will never have.  And that's not really a knock on Wilson.  Allen is a freak.  They dont make QB's like that dude very often, he's that rare. 

Well I remember when all the QB experts on this board were proclaiming Allen as a bust too his rookie year, referring to him as a “running back”. Zach might not have the mobility Allen does but you can put his arm up there with anyone in league 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Well I remember when all the QB experts on this board were proclaiming Allen as a bust too his rookie year, referring to him as a “running back”. Zach might not have the mobility Allen does but you can put his arm up there with anyone in league 

Yeah, I was one of them.  lol.  That said, the dude has done the biggest leaps in development I've ever seen but foundationally, he had what it takes for him to be QB1 in the league because of his size, strength, arm, mobility, etc.  Zach Wilson does not have any of that and their arms are not comparable.  Wilson's is way overrated and Allen's only competition in that category is Mahomes.  Nobody else compares to those 2, IMO.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

Tough question but interesting, it's way too soon to say but I'll go ahead and play for the fun.  I voted No.

Bringing a rookie QB into this environment was a colossal mistake.  Bringing in Zach Wilson who was/is an enormous project and not ready to start in the NFL was doubling down on an already, colossal mistake.  Saddling him with a rookie HC and rookie OC w/ nobody in the building who has ever developed a QB (RIP Gregg Knapp) w/ a bottom 3 roster in the league was tripling down on an already, colossal mistake.

My preference was the trade down, get a kings ransom for the pick and actually do what they never did since drafting him and actually build around Sam Darnold. 

If QB was a must, than yes, I would have preferred a different prospect but even in that situation, I would have always entered the season with that QB holding a clip board for the year and learning the position from the bench. 

This current situation, is ****ed.

I vote no, but I have no idea what I would have done instead. I honestly couldn’t have watched another season of Sam, even with a bunch of picks from the trade down we would likely miss on anyhow. Not sure who I would draft instead, but whoever it was I would sit the and have brought in a vet to start until the offense even slightly resembled a finished product. 

Since you’re giving me a do over I wouldn’t draft a QB at all. I would however still trade Darnold and then sign a stop gap veteran while focusing on building up the roster first. I would take Pitts at 2 and Harris at 23. When the roster is a legit contender I draft a QB. Howell comes to mind.

23 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

did you advocate drafting him instead of darnold?

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I vote no, but I have no idea what I would have done instead. I honestly couldn’t have watched another season of Sam, even with a bunch of picks from the trade down we would likely miss on anyhow. Not sure who I would draft instead, but whoever it was I withdrew have brought in a vet to start until the offense even slightly resembled a finished product. 

You are watching another season of Sam....but worse.

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I’d caution against this line of thinking.  Allen and Zach have different skill sets.  Allen is also an outlier when it comes to correcting accuracy issues.  It just doesn’t happen like that very often.  

Yeah, while I'm not going to proclaim Wilson a bust today, it doesn't have a whole lot of meaning when citing the greatest of exceptions as the only point of comparison.

The truth is 99.99% of those who start their career that awfully just continue to be awful, even if perhaps less awful over time.  The history of this stupid team has proven that enough times already.  I'll hold out hope and keep my fingers crossed, but it also doesn't mean a whole lot for us to ignore everything other than what conveniently fits a narrative.

• Upvote 1

The Jets overall #2 selection has to be one of the biggest decisions in Jets history. It could make or break the GM and HC. We won’t know if a great decision or not but whatever happens not the best ever decision by JD. That was to not sign with the Jets without a high paying multiyear contract. Like all of the other Jets former GMs he wants financial protection and to get paid after he gets fired.