Report: Deshaun Watson to Miami trade in the works

Rhg1084

27 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

If you going to be locked up for years, you have to have the opportunity to face your accusers.  Don't know if he is guilty or not, but he should not be sent to jail or lose his job forever, without the alleged victims coming forward and telling their stories

The NFL and its fans do not need to follow the US judicial system. Now, as it pertains to jail, or civil suits, totally different story.

John Gruden is out of the NFL for distasteful emails he wrote 10 years ago, he is not going to jail for those things. 

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

The NFL and its fans do not need to follow the US judicial system. Now, as it pertains to jail, or civil suits, totally different story.

John Gruden is out of the NFL for distasteful emails he wrote 10 years ago, he is not going to jail for those things. 

No one is accusing gruden of sending them.  That’s the fundamental difference. They were his and he never denied it. 

why those were released first is an interesting question 

19 minutes ago, Larz said:

No one is accusing gruden of sending them.  That’s the fundamental difference. They were his and he never denied it. 

why those were released first is an interesting question 

And? Watson is still in the NFL, no? If it is somehow proven he did what all those woman say he did, he may not be in the NFL any longer.

Also note, sending racist emails is not against any law, raping women is.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

And? Watson is still in the NFL, no? If it is somehow proven he did what all those woman say he did, he may not be in the NFL any longer.

Did you miss the point intentionally?

I won’t be continuing this conversation, thanks 

1 hour ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

While that is true in US law, in media law it is a terrible offense. The raiders would look really bad if they didn't fire him and he didn't resign, and money is probably one of (if not the) biggest drivers out there, and the better the organization looks, the more money they get. That's what it's all about.

5 hours ago, k-met57 said:

because thats the new thing now....u sign a contract, get your bonus, ask to be traded, and sign a brand new deal....you know "get the double bag"

Oo I know but Watson isn't exactly in a prime position to ask for another deal unless it is to purely add contingencies.

• Upvote 2

On 10/22/2021 at 5:30 PM, Flea Flicking Frank said:

if he were smart he'd just run for president

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, xboxjets said:

True but he has a no trade clause so he will get a new deal before agreeing to be traded.

I'm not sure a no trade clause means a new deal though. The amount of teams that want him are going to be few and far between so he may want a new team but that team that wants to trade for him may say "hey we want you but only on your current deal" and that may be it. He'll have to sit in Houston then.

I get feeling these leaks about Miami are leverage against Carolina.

And by the way it a civil action or discipline in the NFL, the burden of proof is "more likely than not". It is not unanimous like criminal  cases. Does anyone really believe he us more likely to be innocent?

On 10/22/2021 at 9:21 AM, DetroitRed said:

Never said any of that.  So no reason to ask for clarity.

If the evidence is there, have a criminal trial

I realize I'm late to this, but what would evidence that would withstand a criminal case look like?

Do you expect the women to have video taped the interaction?  Should they have jerked him off and kept a semen sample?  Specifically, I'd like to know how this would go?

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

We'd probably need an expert like @T0mShane to weigh in on precisely how this would have to happen.

A good Shane joke is always funny, still, I don't want to make light of the fact that, so often, people make this accusation of women - they're just in it for the money, they have no integrity, because things go civil and/or there's a settlement.  The fact is, it's a virtual certainty that these women don't have physical evidence of these crimes, and therefore, would lose in a court of law, and so they're rightly advised to seek whatever justice they can get.  The problem, as in the post I quoted, is when people conflate "innocent" in the legal sense, to "innocent" in the 'didn't do it' sense.  "Innocent until proven guilty" doesn't mean that the person didn't do it... Worth remembering before attacking the victim.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, ZachEY said:

I realize I'm late to this, but what would evidence that would withstand a criminal case look like?

Do you expect the women to have video taped the interaction?  Should they have jerked him off and kept a semen sample?  Specifically, I'd like to know how this would go?

The burden of proof is on the accusers.  Why are you asking me this?  

9 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Not in a civil case. Most states  It's preponderance of evidence.

20 woman who don't know one another, all telling a very similar story, and all pointing at the same perve should do the trick. 

17 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

The NFL is television programming content to sell ads 

If sponsors and advertisers don’t like something, roger has to take care of it

this isn’t a legal or moral issue, it’s perception and profits 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I get feeling these leaks about Miami are leverage against Carolina.

And by the way it a civil action or discipline in the NFL, the burden of proof is "more likely than not". It is not unanimous like criminal  cases. Does anyone really believe he us more likely to be innocent?

Yeah, but it's unlikely ever to go to trial.  He'll pay everyone off under an NDA and they'll be a full-court ESPN push to make him out to be a saint...and it'll all be over.  Very sad.

Unless he gets criminally indicted, but that seems pretty unlikely at this point.