..uncommon draft jackpot could help New York Jets accelerate rebuild

rox

1. Double vision: Meaningless game? Hah!

The Jets-Houston Texans game on Sunday will impact the top of the draft standings, which is a pretty big deal for two fan bases desperate for hope. Both teams are 2-8, with the Jets currently in the No. 2 spot and the Texans at No. 4, based on strength of schedule.

The Jets also own the No. 6 pick, courtesy of the Seattle Seahawks via the Jamal Adams trade. The Seahawks' worst season in a decade could be an absolute boon for the Jets, who could wind up with two top-10 picks for the first time in franchise history.That doesn't happen a lot in the NFL. In the common-draft era (since 1967), there have been only 17 instances when a team had two selections in the top 10. It last occurred in 2018, when the Cleveland Browns picked quarterback Baker Mayfield (No. 1 overall) and cornerback Denzel Ward (No. 4).Before the Browns, you have to go all the way back to 2000. It happened twice that year: The Washington Football Team picked linebacker LaVar Arrington (No. 2) and tackle Chris Samuels (No. 3); the Baltimore Ravens took running back Jamal Lewis (No. 5) and wide receiver Travis Taylor (No. 10).

There are no sure things, not even in the top 10, but the odds of finding a star are much better at the top. Ten from the 17 went on to multiple Pro Bowls, a list that includes four Pro Football Hall of Famers. Do you know the last time the Jets drafted a Hall of Famer? It was 1971, running back John Riggins, who made his name for Washington.The two first-round picks are vital to the Jets' rebuilding plan. It's too bad the draft isn't top-heavy with quarterback prospects; that would put the Jets in position to perhaps scoop up the best non-quarterback. It's still early, though, and you always see late risers once the pre-draft process intensifies.

If you're the Jets, root for the quarterbacks. And root for the Seahawks to keep losing. Unfortunately for the Jets, Seattle's remaining schedule is one of the easiest -- 25th in difficulty. In case you're wondering, the Jets still have a 13% chance of landing the No. 1 overall pick, per ESPN analytics.

Teams With Two Top 10 Picks Since 1967

YEAR/TEAM PLAYERS

* Pro Football Hall of Famer

- -    https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/88302/uncommon-draft-jackpot-could-help-new-york-jets-accelerate-rebuild

2018 Browns QB Baker Mayfield, CB Denzel Ward
2000 WFT LB La'Var Arrington, OT Chris Samuel
2000 Ravens RB Jamal Lewis, WR Travis Taylor
1997 Seahawks CB Shawn Springs, OT Walter Jones*
1994 Colts RB Marshall Faulk*, LB Trev Alberts
1992 Colts DL Steve Emtman, LB Quentin Coryatt
1990 Patriots LB Chris Singleton, DL Ray Agnew
1988 Raiders WR Tim Brown*, CB Terry McDaniel
1982 Colts LB Johnie Cooks, QB Art Schlichter
1979 Bears DL Dan Hampton*, LB Al Harris
1979 Bills LB Tom Cousineau, WR Jerry Butler
1977 Bengals DE Eddie Edwards, DT Wilson Whitley
1974 49ers RB Wilbur Jackson, DT Bill Sandifer
1973 Eagles OT Jerry Sisemore, TE Charle Young
1973 Colts QB Bert Jones, DT Joe Ehrmann
1969 Rams RB Larry Smith, WR Jim Seymour
1967 Vikings RB Clint Jones, WR Gene Washington

4 minutes ago, HtownJet said:

Unfortunately with Houston, Detroit and Chicago on the Seahawks schedule, you can easily give them 3 more wins and with some luck maybe 4. The Seattle pick is likely to be in the 12-14 range.

Seahawks aren't playing as well as Chicago, and I could see Houston beating them with Tyrod. Detroit has been close too. RW is hurt and their roster is terrible. I say they win no more than 2 of those 3 and could just as easily lose 2 of the 3.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Root for wins. This team needs all the wins it can get to change the culture.

Next year I'll root for wins.  This year I'll root for losses, but also for Zach and the other younger players to play well.  We need to change the culture but I don't think it would hurt to have a better draft pick (that we could either use or trade down from).

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Next year I'll root for wins.  This year I'll root for losses, but also for Zach and the other younger players to play well.  We need to change the culture but I don't think it would hurt to have a better draft pick (that we could either use or trade down from).

Normally I’m on the lose for picks train but thats derailed.

The mentality here has been too toxically accepting of losing.

• Upvote 2

On 11/28/2021 at 2:12 PM, Larz said:

Doyou know the last time the Jets drafted a Hall ofFamer? It was 1971, running back John Riggins, who made his name for Washington.

Season 2 Reaction GIF by Friends

Disgusting. Depressing. Diabolical.

I still haven't given up hope that Darnold makes the Hall after he leads the 2027 London Drakes to a World Bowl championship.

4 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Normally I’m on the lose for picks train but thats derailed.

The mentality here has been too toxically accepting of losing.

Tbh, I'm so sick of rooting for losses.  Sadly, I've been doing this for several years now.  I still think the fastest way to "change the culture" is to draft a guy like Mahomes (who, of course, was picked like #11 - lol).  

On 11/28/2021 at 5:12 AM, Larz said:

Doyou know the last time the Jets drafted a Hall ofFamer? It was 1971, running back John Riggins, who made his name for Washington.

Season 2 Reaction GIF by Friends

I can't wait for the day Jamal gets inducted into the Jets hall of fame for helping them get 2 top 10 first round picks

• Haha 1

1st Jets

1st via Seattle (Adams)

2nd Jets

2nd via Carolina (Darnold)

3rd Jets

4th via Carolina (Darnold)

4th via Minnesota (Herndon)

5th Jets

5th via Pittsburgh (Avery Williamson)

Those are our picks as of now.  So we should have 5 picks in about the top 70 players.

our 4th goes to Seattle in the Adams deal

our 6th goes to Minny in the Herndon deal

a 6th goes to philly for the Flacco deal (could be a 5th on conditions)

our 7th goes to Pittsburgh in the Williamson deal.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Hex said:

I can't wait for the day Jamal gets inducted into the Jets hall of fame for helping them get 2 top 10 first round picks

That would be hilarious. Jets should add an "addition-by-subtraction" category. Kotite first ballot slam dunk.

• Haha 1