Good luck, Denzel

redlichtie

7 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

A player with his height and speed would have been drafted in the top of the 1st if he was good with his routes and his hands. He was picked for his potential. It can sometimes take 3 years for a receiver to put it together.

1. His natural gifts is the reason he is drafted; so his potential is the reason he has earned a spot for the next offseason

2. The guy was benched for the beginning of the season and fans the press cried for him; the message that is being sent is that if you cannot contribute you will not be active; if you are lucky to be active because the rest of the corps are hurt and you don't come through, you will not get targets.

3. If the Jets had decided his future, he would have been gone. A cheap WR with speed and height who is having a terrible sophomore slump is going to get a another off-season and maybe a regular season. Say what you want...

It just won’t be in New York, he’s a lazy unfocused malcontent. He isn’t coming back no matter how cheap he is. The coaching staff doesn’t like him he’s gone.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

13 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Denzel will get the offseason to improve and will be bought to camp next year.  If he hasnt improved, he will not make this roster.

But there is 0 reason to cut ties with mims right now.

I agree, but man he looks like he isn't even trying!.....I don't understand what is going on ion his head right now.

• Sympathy 1

14 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Joe D is bringing us a top flight wr and tight end in this draft.

I believe Treylon Burkes WR Arkansas and Trey McBride TE Colorado St are the guys he is targeting in the 1st and 2nd round.

Jameson Williams will fly up draft boards. We take him with our 2nd 1st rounder. 

5 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

It just won’t be in New York, he’s a lazy unfocused malcontent. He isn’t coming back no matter how cheap he is. The coaching staff doesn’t like him he’s gone.

I guess we will wait and see. There has been little or no validation that he is lazy - just like this site calls out Becton for being lazy. Let's see what happens at the end of the season and next year. 

• Upvote 1

I liked him, but yesterday he looked lost... That didn't seem to be the case under Gase. Not sure what's going on, but I can't root for him the way he is handling himself. If they do decide to keep him, he needs to rededicate himself to both football, and this team. If it's that he's not smart, then they should have seen that before they drafted him.

1 hour ago, bostonmajet said:

I guess we will wait and see. There has been little or no validation that he is lazy - just like this site calls out Becton for being lazy. Let's see what happens at the end of the season and next year. 

His half hearted attempts in ladder drills, reports coming from the staff he can or won’t learn the play book, there are plenty of story's reports out there.

JD will try and move him for late pick. He isn’t coming back nor do I want him back.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I've softened my stance on Mims at least character wise after watching the highlights of the game last night.  He came running in on a couple of the big plays and was one of the first guys there to congratulate and get excited on a couple of our tds.

I was high on Mims last year when he would make an amazing first down catch and run back to the huddle without pretending to be the referee. What happened to that guy? In a press conference he said that it wasn't his fault that he was benched. That is not an encouraging answer. "I have to play better" is the best stock response. 

• Upvote 1

mims is awful. I should bump the posts where I said he was stephen hill the second and was accused of being a troll-

Joe busted his entire first draft-maybe the worst draft in the history of the franchise already and it is not years out either. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

I've softened my stance on Mims at least character wise after watching the highlights of the game last night.  He came running in on a couple of the big plays and was one of the first guys there to congratulate and get excited on a couple of our tds.

He seems like a likeable kid, but whatever the issue is the signs are not good …I hope he can turn it around and Cotchery is a good example of where sometimes a talent is being hidden or held back but there really should’ve been opportunities for him lately to step up

20 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

Not a terrible point but then what’s the excuse with Becton? Top 2 picks seem to be lazy, out of shape, don’t wanna put the work in and don’t love the game type players 

Not sure about that for Becton, unless you have an inside source? Mims seems terrible, but Becton had a freak accident which is taking longer to recover. He seemed to be in shape during camp, but struggled to block Lawson. 

19 hours ago, Alka said:

I will give you 3 reasons why the Jets should cut ties with Mims right now:

1. He has done nothing to earn the right to come back next year in any regard.

2. It sends the wrong message to the team, in that if you are drafted high enough, we will bring you back, regardless of whether or not you deserve the opportunity.

3. With the top 3 Jets receivers not in the game, the Jets would rather have undrafted free agents on the field than Mims, who was a high draft pick. The Jets had Jeff Smith on the field, and Mims was sitting on the sideline, with no injuries.  It seems that the Jets have already decided Mims future.

I think it's simpler than that. 

They'll draft / sign more WRs this offseason. They'll have camp. If Mims is the 7th WR, he's gone. If he has somehow miraculously improved, he'll make the roster.

• Sympathy 1

To those still saying how talented Mims is or was last year... WTF?  Where are you seeing that talent?  

Mims as a pro, plays small and slow. 

He has below average wiggle and elusiveness for a fast guy and below average strength for a big guy.   

Where are you guys seeing this supposed talent?  Don't say college tape.  That doesn't count.

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, kmnj said:

mims is awful. I should bump the posts where I said he was stephen hill the second and was accused of being a troll-

Joe busted his entire first draft-maybe the worst draft in the history of the franchise already and it is not years out either. 

that's impossible after seeing idzik's 0 fer 14.  and it's not even worse than some or parcell's, tanny, or bradway gems.  granted the 2020 draft is not looking so good at the moment but as i see it only mims and zuniga are the guys the guys who are failing for lack of trying.  davis is at least out there.  perine and becton are hurt and you can't always tell how serious an injury is.  mann is a pretty good punter.  who knows if morgan can latch on somewhere even as a back up.

12 minutes ago, jetsrule128 said:

I hope he means it because unlike all the geniuses on this board, Saleh has to see the talent this guy has and with his contract being so cheap, it is in everyone's best interest to find out a way to get the best of of him before giving up and wasting a 2nd round pick.  It will up to Mims to make the most of any opportunities he receives.   I mean the ball bounces of Coles hands but no one says anything, Mims drops a pass and he is bust who should never see the field....  Now we have fans saying "I told you so" and actually seemingly happy the Kid has struggled.   Jet fans, I tell ya.... 

5 hours ago, rangerous said:

mims can't say he's not getting his chances.  even on that near td he was close enough to catch the ball but didn't.  hard to say how or why a guy doesn't do better than he has.

What chances?  How many targets did he get???  I certainly didn't see many.   On the end zone He didn't even look for the ball; it was like he was shocked they even threw to him; that is what happens when you have him running decoy routes all day.   He looks like he has lost his confidence.  The way to rectify that is to try to actually get him involved in the offense.  

2 hours ago, JetBlue said:

What chances?  How many targets did he get???  I certainly didn't see many.   On the end zone He didn't even look for the ball; it was like he was shocked they even threw to him; that is what happens when you have him running decoy routes all day.   He looks like he has lost his confidence.  The way to rectify that is to try to actually get him involved in the offense.  

Some serious Cope going on here, it’s his job to get open and catch the ball. He isn’t doing either. Unlike Arnold he won’t be back.

4 hours ago, JetBlue said:

let's see.  wide receiver, pass play?  mims better be ready to catch the ball.  granted he hasn't been on the field as much as he did last season but he's done virtually nothing when he does.  look at berrios.  he has a game like yesterday mainly because crowder was out.  same thing all season.