Good luck, Denzel

redlichtie

20 minutes ago, Icer said:

Zero football IQ, and by all accounts a lazy malcontent. Warning signs were there when they cut to him in his house on draft night and it looked like they had just told him the food delivery would be late.

I remember that.  That was bad.  He really was not a good draft pick.  Its nice to see Wirfs make the Pro Bowl too.  

46 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Question for the people in this thread. How many of you wanted to draft Mims before where he got picked? And don’t lie

I wanted him, loved what I saw pre draft…surprised when he dropped and that was the first red flag(especially as Douglas passed on him too remember) but like anyone I hoped he was one of those inexplicable droppers who’d play with a chip on his shoulder and go out and prove all those doubters wrong

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, varjet said:

With JD’s first three picks in the 2020 draft, he went for two high value positions, LT and WR, and picked a project safety even though he already had Adams and Maye.

Two years later, JD’s top three priorities could be LT, WR and S.   That is not how you make progress.  

And depending on who you listen to….a head coach, which is also inconvenient 

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Denzel will get the offseason to improve and will be bought to camp next year.  If he hasnt improved, he will not make this roster.

But there is 0 reason to cut ties with mims right now.

I will give you 3 reasons why the Jets should cut ties with Mims right now:

1. He has done nothing to earn the right to come back next year in any regard.

2. It sends the wrong message to the team, in that if you are drafted high enough, we will bring you back, regardless of whether or not you deserve the opportunity.

3. With the top 3 Jets receivers not in the game, the Jets would rather have undrafted free agents on the field than Mims, who was a high draft pick. The Jets had Jeff Smith on the field, and Mims was sitting on the sideline, with no injuries.  It seems that the Jets have already decided Mims future.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Alka said:

2. It sends the wrong message to the team, in that if you are drafted high enough, we will bring you back, regardless of whether or not you deserve the opportunity.

3. With the top 3 Jets receivers not in the game, the Jets would rather have undrafted free agents on the field than Mims, who was a high draft pick. The Jets had Jeff Smith on the field, and Mims was sitting on the sideline, with no injuries.  It seems that the Jets have already decided Mims future.

Here’s 2 reasons you keep him:

1- he signed through next year

salary    Dead $ - CapSavings 

2022 $1,481,917
$755,890
$726,027

2- who’s kidding who, he’s a goner

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, Alka said:

I'm with you. When I watch mims off the line it literally looks like he is running in quick sand. Straight line and slow. No moves, stop and start nothing. Whatever the issue is, time to move on.

2 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Cant fix stupid.

what was the reason he fell in the draft? Id love to know why other teams passed and what we didnt know

Wow. What did these mims fans see in him in college?

Weaknesses
  • Lacks release quickness to slide past press jam
  • Early push upfield is dull and lacks urgency
  • Slow gather and break from a normal stride
  • Routes lack focus and salesmanship
  • Too tall into stems, with modest burst coming out
  • Competitive nature is lacking in many phases
  • Allows coverage to crowd routes and contest catches
  • Needs to become more physical at the top of his route
  • Despite size, gets bullied at the catch point
  • History of drops and poor success rate on contested catches
  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

52 minutes ago, Alka said:

A player with his height and speed would have been drafted in the top of the 1st if he was good with his routes and his hands. He was picked for his potential. It can sometimes take 3 years for a receiver to put it together.

1. His natural gifts is the reason he is drafted; so his potential is the reason he has earned a spot for the next offseason

2. The guy was benched for the beginning of the season and fans the press cried for him; the message that is being sent is that if you cannot contribute you will not be active; if you are lucky to be active because the rest of the corps are hurt and you don't come through, you will not get targets.

3. If the Jets had decided his future, he would have been gone. A cheap WR with speed and height who is having a terrible sophomore slump is going to get a another off-season and maybe a regular season. Say what you want...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

To be fair 2020 was probably a difficult year to scout due to covid 19 becton, Davis and Hall aren't terrible players.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

Becton was on the All-Rookie team after 2020. He was injured in  the first game of 2021.  What has he done to drop to "not terrible?"  Are you basing that on the beat writers BS daily reports from "practice" in training camp? Really?  Those same reports had Wilson playing great and Elijah Moore in the HOF.  Becton has done nothing on the field in real games to warrant this lack of confidence.  Hall look like a solid CB. Davis could still be a starting safety.  Mann is middle of the pack punter who is getting better. The rest of the class is bad.

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

A player with his height and speed would have been drafted in the top of the 1st if he was good with his routes and his hands. He was picked for his potential. It can sometimes take 3 years for a receiver to put it together.

1. His natural gifts is the reason he is drafted; so his potential is the reason he has earned a spot for the next offseason

2. The guy was benched for the beginning of the season and fans the press cried for him; the message that is being sent is that if you cannot contribute you will not be active; if you are lucky to be active because the rest of the corps are hurt and you don't come through, you will not get targets.

3. If the Jets had decided his future, he would have been gone. A cheap WR with speed and height who is having a terrible sophomore slump is going to get a another off-season and maybe a regular season. Say what you want...

I do not see the bolded part at all.  He is not a good player having a slump.  He was a limited player in year one and has become far far far worse in year two.  It is not a slump it is total regression.  There are a 101 Wrs around every year vets and guys to be drafted, if you fail you get by passed very quikcly and he had every chance in the world to turn his year around the last few games.

Oh he might make it to camp next year simply because he has little value right now but unless there is a total revelation this off season and he wakes up he will not be on the team next year.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Since I am one of those asking to see Mims on the field let be clear.  He definitely lacks confidence. He doesn't even look like same player from last year much less in college.  Since his on a cheap contact I am not giving up on him.   It would be good if perhaps Zach looked in is direction every now and then.  Unfortunately it has gotten to the point where he is not even expecting the ball to come his way (see end zone play).   It is inconceivable to me that with our total lack of weapons available, he can't get any looks.  Unfortunately those drops he had a few game ago, followed up but those penalties may have sealed his fate for the rest of this season.   I look forward to the Jets cutting him and some team picking him and utilizing his to his strengths, like maybe try and develop him as a red zone threat.    If it doesn't work out I will then be prepared to call him a bust.   Until then I will say he has had a truly horrible sophomore year, starting with the food poisoning in Mini-camp,  but he was not helped at all by the CS.  Feel free to bash away. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, varjet said:

With JD’s first three picks in the 2020 draft, he went for two high value positions, LT and WR, and picked a project safety even though he already had Adams and Maye.

Two years later, JD’s top three priorities could be LT, WR and S.   That is not how you make progress.  

Yea it really stinks because he set us back a whole year. We should really be a 7-8 win team this year. 

But 20 basically produced no one of impact outside of Hall. 

JD did better in 21 but man does he need to nail 22 for the longest rebuild ever to work out 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

I understand the disdain for Becton but he’s a big man who had a major injury he’s going to have the entire off-season to work back from it and be 100% next year, if he doesn’t yes it was a bad pic but it’s more on Bectons character than the pic itself —it’s very hard to judge a man’s character during a draft no matter how much research you do. the list of guys picked in the first round that amount to nothing is longer than the list of Hall of Famer‘s. I believe next year Bechton  wil be back. With a vengeance. 

• Upvote 1

Is it typical fashion you always want to bash the bad pics but never give credit for the late round steals or the guys that he moved up for and grabbed -great free agent signing was the doc,  another good pic was moving up to get AVT and how about getting to Michael carter x2 and Bryce hall so let’s give credit where credit is due no one hits on 100% of their pics

• Upvote 1