Are Ashtyn Davis and Jason Pinnock currently the best Safeties on the Jets?

IMHO you need to bring in a FA vet and draft another guy ... Pinnock looks like he could be a keeper but based on a small sample so far. Having one experienced guy in there would help (think the Mosely / captain of the secondary sort of role). Have the other guys compete for the #2 / #3 and depth roles.

• Upvote 1

Pinnock is really interesting as if  you read his scouting report he has good ball skills, long arms and had explosive testing numbers but struggled when "he had to turn his back to the QB" - kind of the exact player who could thrive at safety.

I also like Riley but as good as the story is, he is likely not a starter, but could be an excellent 4th safety.  As much as I have defended Ashtyn Davis, he really didnt seem to improve (although I think pff graded him well) and its likely going to come down to who is more reliable and who can play special teams when we are looking at the 4th safety role between him and Riley.

JD needs to sign or draft at least one higher caliber safety who can really play centerfield.  Personally as talented as hamilton is, I think we can find a safety in free agency, especially when you look at new orleans cap situation with Marcus Williams.

The best case for the position and the defense is to sign someone like Williams or Bates long term, sign maye to a one year deal and then let a 3rd/4th round pick battle it out with pinnock for the 3rd spot to hopefully replace maye in 2023.

• Sympathy 1

52 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Everyone remember...do not say *his* name.

*gasp*

"Hamilton Hamilton Hami"---

Damnit!  I almost did it.

Harry Hamilton? Who practically had his scalp ripped off?

For reference:

Hamilton, the Jets' strong safety, cut his scalp-line completely across his forehead as he was making a first-quarter tackle against the New England Patriots.

His teammate, Charles Jackson, turned away wringing his hands and returned shaken to the sidelines after seeing the scene that followed:

''It was more of the type of thing that would happen in a car accident than a football accident,'' Hamilton recalled. ''I remember pretty much everything. I cringe at it. I remember going in and trying to take the ball from the guy. I took the ball but I don't remember if the helmet flew off and then I hit the turf.

''I remember trying to pick my forehead up. It felt like I had to catch it because it was falling off.''

Apparently, his helmet was pushed up and then pushed down, slicing his forehead, when Kyle Clifton landed on him. Hamilton required 27 stitches to sew the wound together while blood gushed from two arteries. While he was having the surgery, Freeman McNeil came into the trainer's room suffering from a dislocated elbow.

''It looked like Frankenstein,'' McNeil said. The damage caused Hamilton's face to swell and his eyes to close. He had been told he would see again by Friday, but the swelling was too intense.

2 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

Pinnock looked good, if nothing else he provides depth. Ashtyn Davis can't tackle, gets hurt a lot, and takes worse angles than a broken protractor. 

Davis had 2 interceptions and 3 forced fumbles. Was 6th in solo tackles and combined tackles and that's from playing the free safety position.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Im in the minority but I like Ashyton Davis.  I would have no problem with Davis and Pinnock starting next year and drafting a safety in the 3rd or 4th round to compete w/ them.

I like Ashton Davis too.  I'm still not sure he should be the starter, but I definitely feel he is good enough to secure a roster spot, and at least be a rotational player.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Im in the minority but I like Ashyton Davis.  I would have no problem with Davis and Pinnock starting next year and drafting a safety in the 3rd or 4th round to compete w/ them.

He's been hurt a lot but was able to start 13 games and get extensive experience this year after being raw as a rookie.  He is 25 and certainly deserves the chance to show continued improvement next year.  I don't know what his ceiling is but I don't think he's reached it yet.

Obviously a small sample size with Pinnock but given all the young corners on the roster and the lack of long-term answers at safety his emergence down the stretch was encouraging.

Joyner’s injury was torn triceps - that’s something a player should be able to come back from. I’d kind of like to see them bring him back. Should be good value, he got some offseason time with the team already, they must have liked his fit to sign him in the first place.

Obviously a more splashy free agent signing would work too but Joyner-Pinnock-Davis-day two/early day three pick competing for two starting spots with Riley as depth - certainly some uncertainty but they should be able to get quality play from that group.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Really like the way Pinnock came on at the end of the year.  He was a play maker.  Elijah Riley played pretty well down the stretch too.  Davis is nice depth but not a player you should be starting.  

Kid hits like a mack truck. The play that opened my eyes on Pinnock was the run in the last game of the year vs Buffalo by Singletary, like the 3rd or 4th play of the game. He is flying down the sideline, and all of a sudden you see Pinnock coming from across the field with the angle on him. Gets him at about the 10 yard line, and hits him so hard Singletary flew like five yards in the air till he came down. 

• Upvote 1

Pinnock started flashing late when he moved to safety and seems serviceable. He wasn't incredible but he showed up in a few spots and it was noticeable. I'd say he was somewhat similar to Quincy Williams season. When we needed a big play they were popping people.

I think the reason Ashtyn Davis is somewhat of a letdown is that we were expecting a lot from him and his athleticism. Unfortunately that's his problem he needs to be a little bit more of a heady player. In fact there were times that it almost seemed like he was running to beat the throw and sliding into third Base!? Lol 

Both safeties would have benefited from having Maye and Joyner not being on IR. I would welcome every player I just mentioned to next year's training camp.

I have no problem with Davis. He's a low end starter but an high end 3rd safety. It is what it is. Pinnock got some quality reps and should be penciled in as a backup FS. Of course with INJ and covid those guys get quality playing time for those who want to place him in a position to receive reps. With that said it's important to get a quality, yet talented veteran that all these young guys can work with. We have the inexperience being lead by the inexperience. Then there's talk about drafting more inexperience or should I say rookies to the DB unit. 

--------------

I just took a break from typing to insert this so call veteran I described and he doesn't exist. Bates is projected to be franchised. The next best S up in FA is Mathieu (who's not coming here), then Maye. Even if we warmed up to bringing back Maye would he even want to come back? Now I see where all this Hamilton talk stems from now. 

6 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Ashtyn Davis is not as good as Eric Smith.

Let that sink in.

6 hours ago, section314 said:

Going into season 43 as a ticket holder. Other than Brett Favre, have never despised a player more than Eric Smith. Victor Cruz still buys him a new car every 3 years. 

You still don't despise him as much as @Bleedin Green does.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1