Rumor: Braxton Berrios looking for $9m year

Rhg1084

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Moore and Davis didn’t stay healthy. 

For 1 year….. it happens. Take a look at the draft and check out some wrs. There’s a bunch of good ones. In fa there’s a bunch of wrs too. I get that you like him a lot, I like him too. I just don’t see him as irreplaceable. 

4 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

For 1 year….. it happens. Take a look at the draft and check out some wrs. There’s a bunch of good ones. In fa there’s a bunch of wrs too. I get that you like him a lot, I like him too. I just don’t see him as irreplaceable. 

He’s a decent player. The Jets roster doesn’t have much. Him resigning wouldn’t prevent the Jets from doing anything. I get fans like to play capologist but there is literally zero downside to resigning him.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

He’s a decent player. The Jets roster doesn’t have much. Him resigning wouldn’t prevent the Jets from doing anything. I get fans like to play capologist but there is literally zero downside to resigning him.

After the draft class there is much less cap space than you would think. There’s only like 29 mil. Berrios at 9 takes up 1/3 of it. Now there’s only 20 left so yes there is a downside of signing him when you can just draft someone for much much less money or even throw in a few more mil and snag someone like Allen Robinson. He’s just not worth almost 10 mil. Based on joe Ds history he likely feels the same way. 

30 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

It obviously is. They played together for 1 year. With another training camp with Moore Davis and whoever else do you honestly not think he’ll gain a better connection with those guys? How many wins does a #4 wr add to a team? You serious right now? 

You keep worrying about where he is on the depth chart as a WR.   Who cares?  He will get regular playing time.

You don’t seem to recognize how important what he does on special teams really is.

He average 10 yards better as a KR than the middle of the pack returners.

How easily Berrios fielded difficult punts under duress?  How many yards he saves by not letting the ball hit the ground and roll towards the end zone.    

How he scores TDs.  

Are there any # 4 WRs that offer what Berrios does?  One.  Deonte Harris.  His new contract bears watching…  

What he does is not easily replaceable.  And I GUARANTEE if the Jets don’t “overpay him,” they will overpay a player nowhere near as useful.  The Jets have to overpay because they are perceived as a lousy franchise with extraordinarily high state taxes.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

You keep worrying about where he is on the depth chart as a WR.   Who cares?  He will get regular playing time.

You don’t seem to recognize how important what he does on special teams really is.

He average 10 yards better as a KR than the middle of the pack returners.

How easily Berrios fielded difficult punts under duress?  How many yards he saves by not letting the ball hit the ground and roll towards the end zone.    

How he scores TDs.  

Are there any # 4 WRs that offer what Berrios does?  One.  Deonte Harris.  His new contract bears watching…  

What he does is not easily replaceable.  And I GUARANTEE if the Jets don’t “overpay him,” they will overpay a player nowhere near as useful.  The Jets have to overpay because they are perceived as a lousy franchise with extraordinarily high state taxes.  

You realize the jets almost always have a good special teams unit? We have one of the best ST coaches in the league. 

10 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Berrios is a starter though. 

..... on the Jets.

And, that's the problem.  Berrios is a very good player, but we value him so much simply because the Jets haven't had much better and they certainly haven't had his kind of consistency.

If Corey Davis played the way we expected and played something like 14+ games.  If Denzel Mims did what was expected and showed signs of growing into a valuable WR.  If Eljah Moore played.... more.  If Keelan Cole looked a little better, etc. then Berrios would seem like a luxury rather than a necessity.  Berrios' importance grew because there was a vacuum created by a group of underwhelming and unavailable wide receivers on this team.

$7M per year seems like the number but I wouldn't offer more than 3 years.  I like him, he's the kind of guy you want, and he's a valuable returner, but the Jets can't blow the budget on a guy who should be a WR5... even if he's been our WR3, WR2 and WR1 at times due to WR attrition. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

I don't think this is the year to draft a WR high and I do think this is the year to spend real money at the WR position in FA to give Wilson a high-end No. 1 WR. I'd rather spend 25M per on Davante Adams (yes, he wants 30, no he won't get that, but 25 would be "highest paid in the NFL except for the crazy Hopkins contract, and by more than 10%" so it should be enough), or 17-20 on Godwin, Robinson, etc., and then draft someone to replace Berrios, than pay Berrios at 9M and hope to draft one of the rare true No. 1s.

The Jets aren't getting a top FA WR.

Lets not fool ourselves with fantasy.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

So you're willing to let one of Zacks favorite targets leave after his rookie season over 4 million of Woody's dollars spread over 3 years?

I can tell you are a baseball/Yankees fan where you think the owner just throws money at players and that't all it takes.  It's not Woody's money. It's the Jets money and there is this thing called a salary cap. If Berrios is paid, somebody else may not be or the Jets may not not have enough money to pay for a FA or sign one of their own.  I'm not saying don't pay Berrios and I'm not defending Woody Johnson. I'm just saying it's got nothing to do with the owner or his money.   It's how each team slices the same size pie that matters.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

It's the Jets money and there is this thing called a salary cap. If Berrios is paid, somebody else may not be or the Jets may not not have enough money to pay for a FA or sign one of their own. 

So when was the last time this fear actually came true?  Because we haven't spent up to the cap in quite a while.

So who are all these FA's or "our own" that we've missed out on?

And isn't Berrios "our own" too?

Lord knows what we'd do if we didn;t have true Stud future HOF'ers like, say, JFM's making:

John Franklin-Myers signed a four year contract extension worth $55 million with the Jets on October 7, 2021.

Lol.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So when was the last time this fear actually came true?  Because we haven't spent up to the cap in quite a while.

Lord knows what we'd do if we didn;t have true Stud future HOF'ers like, say, JFM's making:

Lol.

I have no issue paying Berrios.  I do take issue with anyone who says the Jets won't because Woody doesn't want to spend money. That is just SOJF BS.  

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I can tell you are a baseball/Yankees fan where you think the owner just throws money at players and that't all it takes.  It's not Woody's money. It's the Jets money and there is this thing called a salary cap. If Berrios is paid, somebody else may not be or the Jets may not not have enough money to pay for a FA or sign one of their own.  I'm not saying don't pay Berrios and I'm not defending Woody Johnson. I'm just saying it's got nothing to do with the owner or his money.   It's how each team slices the same size pie that matters.  

We're talking about $4mm in cap space spread over 3 years. It's not going to prevent us from doing anything. We're talking about a favorite target of our rookie QB.

If you want to develop him, keep his favorite weapons and surround him with more. This is not the place to penny pinch.

Some of the same people who say it's no big deal for the Packers who are over 40 million over the cap will easily re-sign Adams think it's irresponsible to spend a few extra million here. It's silly.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sheastadiumjetfan said:

I love BB and his work ethic but clearly 9/10M is a ridiculous amount for his level of production

Having said that he’s probably worth 6 to 7,000,000 and 8 million with incentives Max

Have to agree with this.  Although BB was a spark plug last season, the Jets can't overpay here.  6-7M.  Throw in the incentives.

12 hours ago, Matt39 said:

This and the fact the Jets receivers were constantly hurt. You want to get rid of the only guy who played every game? Makes no sense. The Jets don’t have anyone upcoming that’s due big money( the one benefit of drafting terribly). There are no salary cap ramifications here. He’s a guy you keep and it’s not even remotely a question. 

There's only one question I can think of, and it depends what Douglas was going to do if he’d been able to lock up Berrios for much less:

Was his off-season plan to add a UFA WR in the $16MM+ per year range and still draft a WR at #10 (or the top of round 2 at the lowest)?

If yes, then Berrios at $9MM/year would probably change that plan.

If not, and the plan was just to add another WR in the draft, then Berrios at $9MM changes nothing (other than having Berrios instead of another Cole as the WR4). 

Davis + Moore + Robinson/otherFA + #10pickWR = they don’t need Berrios as a $9MM WR5 (or still just a WR4 if/when one is injured for a game here or there).

Same group minus the name UFA means they’d lean more heavily on Berrios (few rookie WRs are omg right away, if they even draft a non-bust, plus neither Davis nor Moore have exactly been iron-men).

If Douglas’s $ choice is extending Berrios vs. adding a more serious veteran WR1 than Corey Davis, there’s no choice there: he’s gone. If it’s Berrios at $8-9MM vs. $6MM for just another Keelan Cole? The decision is just as easy to keep him with the cap this high and the Jets plenty under it.

So it depends what Douglas was going to do at WR independent of Berrios. 

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Berrios is a damn good player, and if that's his market value, he should absolutely go get it.

Just not here. He's a core special teamer and excellent No. 4 WR and passable No. 3. That's it. At 9M, you're pricing in the expectation that he becomes Wes Welker-lite. And he hasn't shown the type of skill to support that expectation. No thanks

all fairness he hasn't had brady throwing to him or gronk making picks.  i agree 9 million is too high unless he's the starting slot.  he should get something near what edelman got.

9 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

..... on the Jets.

And, that's the problem.  Berrios is a very good player, but we value him so much simply because the Jets haven't had much better and they certainly haven't had his kind of consistency.

If Corey Davis played the way we expected and played something like 14+ games.  If Denzel Mims did what was expected and showed signs of growing into a valuable WR.  If Eljah Moore played.... more.  If Keelan Cole looked a little better, etc. then Berrios would seem like a luxury rather than a necessity.  Berrios' importance grew because there was a vacuum created by a group of underwhelming and unavailable wide receivers on this team.

$7M per year seems like the number but I wouldn't offer more than 3 years.  I like him, he's the kind of guy you want, and he's a valuable returner, but the Jets can't blow the budget on a guy who should be a WR5... even if he's been our WR3, WR2 and WR1 at times due to WR attrition. 

But Mims didn’t. And never will. And Cole didn’t. And likely never will. So we clearly need WR’s.

We paid Cole $5M to play WR. I won’t feel bad using that 5 + 2-3 more to pay Berrios to fill the role we planned for Cole (#3/4 WR) AND to fill his own old role (Top tier KR).

And I do it both because I think Berrios can produce more as a WR a la Cole Beasley, and because Zach Wilson likes him.

# 10 Draft Pick WR/Davis/Moore/Berrios/2nd Round TE sounds solid for Wilson. 

Heck we can even keep Mims another year as depth.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

But Mims didn’t. And never will. And Cole didn’t. And likely never will. So we clearly need WR’s.

We paid Cole $5M to play WR. I won’t feel bad using that 5 + 2-3 more to pay Berrios to fill the role we planned for Cole (#3/4 WR) AND to fill his own old role (Top tier KR).

And I do it both because I think Berrios can produce more as a WR a la Cole Beasley, and because Zach Wilson likes him.

# 10 Draft Pick WR/Davis/Moore/Berrios/2nd Round TE sounds solid for Wilson. 

Heck we can even keep Mims another year as depth.

there certainly is an argument here for keeping some continuity.  except for berrios the jets didn't field a single wr for 15 games let alone 17.  hopefully he stays and the jets pick up a te to run those pick plays that edelman used to get with gronk.

The last few weeks when he had a real chance to play, he had some TD's and some decent games. Nothing spectacular but he did show that him and Zach wilson were starting to build something. I used to be one of those guys that hated over paying but when you see what teams like the Rams and Bucs are doing, it appears there is almost always a way to stay under the cap. I think for Zach Wilson and the special teams sake, we need to keep berrios on the team. Even if it means over paying a little. It's not like this team is over flowing with talent and this team has some tough roster decisions coming. 9 seems a bit high, but most negotiations  start that way. Jets should just lock him up, even if it is a little above market value. 

• Post of the Week 1

9 hours ago, Warfish said:

The Jets aren't getting a top FA WR.

Lets not fool ourselves with fantasy.

More people need to come to terms with this.

DaVante Adams isn’t happening. Mike Williams isn’t happening. Allen Robinson, who has played with poop at QB his entire career and is seeking his last 8 figure per year contract, isn’t happening.

The biggest name set to hit FA at wideout that the Jets are going to have a remote shot at is probably someone like Christian Kirk.

Same with TE. Dalton Schultz is a pipe dream. Douglas will sign someone like Mo Alie-Cox and draft a dude like McBride or Ruckert.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Morrissey said:

he didn't get paid for similar production that's the point. Beasley had resume, Berrios really doesn't.

No he didnt, his first three years were similar.  Minus the STs talent Berrios brings to his team.

FA is all about timing.  Youre just not getting that.  Youre arguing over $1-$2 million, you do realize he was getting around $7.  Its 2022, not 1982

10 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

..... on the Jets.

Well said.   Braxton is a nice kid and good teammate, but on a team with a healthy, properly constructed WR group he has a limited role at best.  Jet fans have been beaten down so bad when it comes to having offensive playmakers that a player like Braxton gets over hyped and over valued.  He had some decent moments when playing with the likes of practice squad WRs around him.  

He’s most valuable as a return guy.  Those guys typically don’t get paid a lot.  Look at Andre Roberts, he’s making a about $2M per year.   

Signing him would be good, but his value is getting overly inflated around here.   

• Sympathy 1

15 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Resigning Berrios at 9M per means committing to a top-3 receiver group of him, Moore and Davis. That's nowhere near good enough

I am hoping the Jets acquire a number 1 Wide Out in this draft. And if they do, that is a solid group, a far cry from the Macagnan days.

10 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

..... on the Jets.

But none of that happened. Actually, Berrios was a reliable WR, more so than anyone else we had. I don't think he had one drop last year. Great route runners who are quick and have excellent hands are hard to come by. The Jets had one last year, they need to retain that player. If it's 7-9 million for 3 years guaranteed for 14-18 then so be it.

18 minutes ago, Claymation said:

But none of that happened. Actually, Berrios was a reliable WR, more so than anyone else we had. I don't think he had one drop last year. Great route runners who are quick and have excellent hands are hard to come by. The Jets had one last year, they need to retain that player. If it's 7-9 million for 3 years guaranteed for 14-18 then so be it.

Small slot receivers like Braxton are a dime a dozen.  It’s the most easily replaced position in the WR group.   He’s decent, but his skill set isn’t rare or hard to find.   

6 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Well said.   Braxton is a nice kid and good teammate, but on a team with a healthy, properly constructed WR group he has a limited role at best.  Jet fans have been beaten down so bad when it comes to having offensive playmakers that a player like Braxton gets over hyped and over valued.  He had some decent moments when playing with the likes of practice squad WRs around him.  

He’s most valuable as a return guy.  Those guys typically don’t get paid a lot.  Look at Andre Roberts, he’s making a about $2M per year.   

Signing him would be good, but his value is getting overly inflated around here.   

Andre Roberts is 33 and is purely a returner. This year he has had 1 catch and 3 rush attempts. His punt return average was 5 yards. 

Berrios is 7 years younger and is a returner, WR and "gadget" player. This year he had 46 catches and 7 rush attempts. His punt return average was 13.4 yards.

If all we want is a good kick returner and a meh punt returner, then yes you can get that for far less money. Let's say 1.5m for argument's sake. But you then need to pay some other guy to replace the offensive production that you lost, and in FA you usually have to pay a premium for that. Are we going to find a guy who is providing ~500 yards on offense for ~6m in FA? Possibly. But what do you gain? Two players on slightly less money overall to potentially get similar production vs. the known quantity? At the expense of continuity, familiarity in the system, and the team culture impact of discarding a guy who worked hard only to get replaced?

I don't think he's a 9m a year signing, and as has been said many times this is a speculated figure from a random agent, not from Berrios or his agent. Teams seldom pay the initial asking price either, just like players seldom take a team's first offer, so there is certainly too much overreaction to the 9m figure. But if it were around 7.5m (and a lot will depend on structure, phony years etc) I would see that as a no-brainer.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Small slot receivers like Braxton are a dime a dozen.  It’s the most easily replaced position in the WR group.   He’s decent, but his skill set isn’t rare or hard to find.   

Not wrong but the Jets have a group of receivers who have been constantly injured. That increases Berrrios value to the Jets as well. I’m not relying on Davis and Moore staying healthy.

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Not wrong but the Jets have a group of receivers who have been constantly injured. That increases Berrrios value to the Jets as well. I’m not relying on Davis and Moore staying healthy.

Injuries can happen to anyone.   I don’t think his value is higher because he didn’t get injured last year.   He could just as easily get hurt this season. 

11 hours ago, Barton said:

They should probably just sign him but it's yet another guy who has only balled out his contract year. Hopefully he doesnt get complacent. 

Douglas kept giving him 1 year contracts.

He could have given Berrios a 3 year, 8 or 9 million deal after last year, and berrios would have jumped on it.

9 hours ago, Warfish said:

Lol.

Yeah, that’s the thing that I was mulling over. Get rid of everything about him and reduce it to the probability of this signing paying dividends and the player staying healthy and contributing? Then look at the results we’ve had as it pertains to the guys we sign? Too many long shots that just fell flat on their faces at the gate or faded and stopped at the homestretch. Time to bet on a chalk. We need to hit on a few more players that play than we need to make sure we have that imaginary “ cap cushion”, that is actually going up that they never hit anyhow. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1