Kayvon Thibodeaux leaves combine early

10 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Can anyone provide a link or story of him “leaving the combine”… I couldn’t find anything 

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2022/03/oregon-pass-rusher-kayvon-thibodeaux-a-possible-lions-target-withdraws-early-from-nfl-combine.html

From the start of the article:

INDIANAPOLIS -- Oregon pass rusher Kayvon Thibodeaux said his top objective at the combine was to convince teams he loves football, a tacit acknowledgment of the whispers about his motor and dedication to the game.

Withdrawing early -- because of “how long the day was,” according to NFL Network -- probably won’t help his case.

It might not hurt his case either, of course. Because before Thibodeaux packed his bags, he ripped off a time of 4.58 seconds in the 40-yard dash, which is excellent for a 6-foot-4, 254-pound defensive lineman. And the 10-second split came in at a lightning-quick 1.59 seconds, which is elite. He also did 27 reps in the bench press.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

He threw on his sweats after he ran the 40 and decided not to do positional drills. Everyone there was surprised. 

After telling Charles Davis two days earlier he was going to do the drills. Charles specifically asked him that question

• Upvote 4

This was yesterday. Lol your definitely not watching it Live. 

And he wants to do DL/LB drills at his pro day. So he decided to postpone he workout until then.

sucks giving the surrounding questions about his love for the game. But he isnt the only prospect that only out of drills this week.

but this is why it didnt blow up on social media.. he still gave 4.58 40 and 27 reps on the bench.

1 minute ago, Green Ghost said:

I hope so, and now I hope it’s us at #4 because this entire thread is ridiculous. How many other kids refused to take part in every drill? 
i understand if people don’t want to take this kid at #4, that’s fine. To base it on this nonsense, or for someone to claim he doesn’t like football because of the school he attended? That’s garbage. Don’t pay any attention to it.

Dont think its just about his refusing to participate in drills. Its how he did it (to everyone's surprise) and there is a continous fall based on interviews and responses by the player. 

4 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

This was yesterday. Lol your definitely not watching it Live. 

And he wants to do DL/LB drills at his pro day. So he decided to postpone he workout until then.

sucks giving the surrounding questions about his love for the game. But he isnt the only prospect that only out of drills this week.

Lmao, I now know. ?

His decsion to not let scouts know this beforehand is a poor choice considering the negative buzz surrounding him. 

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

What in the world has this guy done that makes you think he loves football?  

He openly admits that he chose Oregon and Nike for financial purposes over Alabama and National Championships.

I read the article you posted about this. I see nothing wrong there. In fact it sounds to me like this kid has a good head on his shoulders.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

You don’t draft “insurance” at 10 and they’d have to be an all world guard to draft that high 

People are talking about the same scenario with Ekwonu but at #4, and there are many who believe that Ekwonu is strictly a guard at the next level.

I’ve been pretty much against taking another OL at the top of the 1st round, but the thought of a trio of AVT, Jensen and Penning on the interior just bullying the sh*t out of everyone has me very intrigued. All 3 of those guys have the mentality of burying you in the dirt.

It gives the Jets a hard nosed identity, it keeps pressure off of Zach up the middle, and we can finally run the ball up the gut for the first time since the early Rex years.

Couple that with a freak edgerusher with limitless potential in Walker and I’m more than satisfied with that 1st round.

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Dont think its just about his refusing to participate in drills. Its how he did it (to everyone's surprise) and there is a continous fall based on interviews and responses by the player. 

“continuous fall”? What are you even talking about?You know where he’s going to be drafted? You’re just flying by the seat of your pants here.

Look, you screwed up. You watched a replay this morning of last nights drills, and you thought it was live. Then you went into Jimmy Olson mode.

Why not react the same way about every other kid who either didn’t show up at all, or who also didn’t participate in every drill at this combine? There were plenty.

11 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Oh man he doesnt get my 10 or any of my second rounders. Maybe a third round flyer.

can anyone name another prospect with this many red flags in the last decade or two?

Dan Marino and Warren Sapp come to mind whenever I hear the term “red flags”.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

BTW you want a little history lesson? I’ll give you two names of players who we could’ve taken, if not for “rumors” Dan Marino and Warren Sapp. 

Very true but the reason for Marino & Sapp fell where reports of drug usage not commitment to the sport as is the case with Thibs    Marinos & Sapps love of football and if their heart was in the game  was never in question. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

It’s not the talent issues, It’s not the compete issues , it’s the headache and the locker room issues that you could see coming by country mile.

Tell us about the “headache and locker room issues” he caused while at Oregon.

1 hour ago, Copernicus said:

Unfolding now. Surprise to everyone. Collected his stuff and walked off. Not a good look according to all the commentators. Becoming a conversation. Ugggh

I’m ok unless he was throwing small bags of candy dicks at people on his way out. 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Very true but the reason for Marino & Sapp fell where reports of drug usage not commitment to the sport as is the case with Thibs    Marinos & Sapps love of football and if their heart was in the game  was never in question. 

Serious question… where and when did this “love of football” issue become a thing with this kid?

So far, the only reason I’ve seen anyone here give was because he went to Oregon. Maybe I missed something, but when did going there become the barometer for not liking to play the game?

35 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I read the article you posted about this. I see nothing wrong there. In fact it sounds to me like this kid has a good head on his shoulders.

Strongly disagree.  That’s not someone who loves football, that’s someone who loves what football can give him.  I’ve seen that story (Vernon Gholston, Mo Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson, many more on other teams) and I have no interest in checking that book out of the library again.  It’s one thing to feel that way in your heart-of-hearts and keep it to yourself; it takes next-level stupidity to talk about it in a television interview before you’ve even accomplished anything in the NFL. The cherry on top is making fun of Alabama education to talk about the “stigmatism” of athletes being dumb jocks.

I’ll keep it ?; the kid seems like he’s dumber than a box of rocks.  Especially when it comes to being self-aware.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Serious question… where and when did this “love of football” issue become a thing with this kid?

So far, the only reason I’ve seen anyone here give was because he went to Oregon. Maybe I missed something, but when did going there become the barometer for not liking to play the game?

Kids who love football don’t openly talk about how they chose a school so they could prioritize their brand or life off the field over winning football games and National Championships.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

He came off as a diva in the interview.  

He went to Oregon for the right reasons, but explained it poorly.  Instead of talking about his brand, he should've just said he made a forty year decision because the league isn't a guarantee. 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Tell us about the “headache and locker room issues” he caused while at Oregon.

The story from Oregon seems like he takes a lot of plays off.

Look the guy likes to talk a lot and he likes to think he’s better than everyone. Our team’s locker room isn’t yet built to handle a character teams like this. He is a “me” guy. Move on and just draft football player that likes football and who’s ready to play with the team.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

The various posts after our conversation pretty much sums it up 

• Upvote 1

What an incredibly stupid move by Thibodeaux. Leaving early is a terrible look when there are already questions about his drive. Just stay the extra few hours and run through the cones. He’s costing himself millions with a potential slide in the draft. So much for maximizing his brand. 

• Upvote 3

Not sure how many people watch Jets X-Factor, but Blewett specifically mentioned multiple times in his review how Thibs "takes plays off."

If he's gonna take plays off even before he gets his big paycheck, imagine how many he'll take off once he gets it.

Sounds like anything but a JD/Saleh guy to me. Sure, at some point his talent will be too good to pass up on. At 4? Not so likely.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Copernicus said:

Really? From everything I read, he interviewed quite well, and he was very well spoken when interviewed on camera.

You’ve told us all season you get your football news from greenbean and Frankie from Flatbush, and you ignore mainstream media and the Jet beat writers because they’re so negative.

Now you’re “getting vibes” from some shlub on NFL Network and taking them as gospel?

27 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Strongly disagree.  That’s not someone who loves football, that’s someone who loves what football can give him.  I’ve seen that story (Vernon Gholston, Mo Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson, many more on other teams) and I have no interest in checking that book out of the library again.  It’s one thing to feel that way in your heart-of-hearts and keep it to yourself; it takes next-level stupidity to talk about it in a television interview before you’ve even accomplished anything in the NFL. The cherry on top is making fun of Alabama education to talk about the “stigmatism” of athletes being dumb jocks.

I’ll keep it ?; the kid seems like he’s dumber than a box of rocks.  Especially when it comes to being self-aware.

With apologies to @Sarge4Tide if you give most people the choice of attending school at either Oregon or Alabama for education purposes, they’re going to Oregon. He made a choice he felt was best for him, it’s what kids do.

I listen to Thibadeaux and I get the opposite impression you do Moggs. He comes off as very intelligent and well spoken. I do agree with you though that in this case, less said would’ve been better.

• Upvote 2