Imagine if we draft Thibs and Jordan Davis?

I know everyone is saying we must go WR at 10 but imagine if we take Thibs at 4 and then this monster Davis at 10? The defensive line would be a serious problem for opposing teams with a rotation of Lawson, Q, JFM, Thibs, Davis. JD and Saleh preach how they love building through the trenches so I don’t think this is completely out of the realm of possibilities. 

image.png

87B3F7F4-05C7-44EC-A5C6-8E9FC3724578.jpeg

A2911E6C-8B07-4795-9070-46D4B144840D.jpeg

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I know everyone is saying we must go WR at 10

Because we really should go WR at #10, best prospect in the draft at that position.

7 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

but imagine if we take Thibs at 4 and then this monster Davis at 10? The defensive line would be a serious problem for opposing teams with a rotation of Lawson, Q, JFM, Thibs, Davis. JD and Saleh preach how they love building through the trenches so I don’t think this is completely out of the realm of possibilities. 

Perhaps.

But even if we have the best D-Line in the NFL, the NFL is still a passing and offense dominated league, we'll still be a losing team, or even a #1 draft pick contender, if the Offense remains moribund. 

We'll just lose by 10 or 7 or 3 instead of by 30.

Sorry, but Fans of Defense had their time, for ages we always picked Defense at our top picks.  That time has passed.

Be glad if you get Edge at #4, because honestly, more Offense would likely pay higher returns than even an Edge at #4 would.

I fully expect a split draft, one O one D in round 1, one O one D in round 2.  And a semi-even split the rest of the way.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I think this is far more likely than people think.

Rankins is likely gone and we have nothing next to Q. Foley was the only guy we had strong against the run and it’s a huge weakness. The front seven was getting mauled last year with the Indy game being the most pathetic display by a Jets line thay I can remember. We know Saleh prioritises the trenches and we’ve lost more than we’ve gained thus far.

I wouldn’t necessarily hate it as Davis or Wyatt both look incredible but I’d have preferred we just kept Foley and drafted someone else, even at the expense of some of our pickups.

In that scenario, would the Jets go WR in Round 2, or even later?  Or hell, not at all?

Who would you see the Jets getting at WR then, because Davis/Moore/Berrios/Mims doesn't feel like it's adequate without another top-end piece.

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I know everyone is saying we must go WR at 10 but imagine if we take Thibs at 4 and then this monster Davis at 10? The defensive line would be a serious problem for opposing teams with a rotation of Lawson, Q, JFM, Thibs, Davis. JD and Saleh preach how they love building through the trenches so I don’t think this is completely out of the realm of possibilities. 

image.png

alot of really great WR have been drafted in the second round...I wouldnt mind this at all.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

In that scenario, would the Jets go WR in Round 2, or even later?  Or hell, not at all?

Who would you see the Jets getting at WR then, because Davis/Moore/Berrios/Mims doesn't feel like it's adequate without another top-end piece.

No obviously they still need to address the WR position, maybe they trade for a veteran

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Ha I had just edited it to give my thoughts on the WR position. Definitely more would need to be added and the second round would be most likely. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Irish Jet said:

Ha I had just edited it to give my thoughts on the WR position. Definitely more would need to be added and the second round would be most likely. 

JD's Mims pick could be the guide for how he thinks about WR< admittedly.

I think I'd be quite disappointed if we go this route, but as I always say, proof is the results, if it works, I'm happy to be wrong.

20 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

image.png

It is tempting, even as a paying member of the Offense beats Defense I Want a WR fan club.

Can he wrap that chain around Josh Allen’s neck?  

If DTackle isn’t deep in the draft, then you consider it if you truly believe that you can still get a potential WR1 at the top of round 2 or are convinced there are NO WR1s in this draft.  But you’d have to also then either be comfortable pushing TE2 to round 3 where there might be a big drop off in talent or push a sorely needed LB who can cover and stop the run to round 3.

I think those are big ifs and some less attractive dominos so my money is on no.

I instead propose to cut Rankins and spend the money on a free agent who can stop the run and push the pocket.  Maybe the guy the Bears let go.

• Upvote 2

I'm starting to get skeptical of Thibs, we need players we can trust to be consistent on and off the field.

A WR is definitely needed, and based on the fact that we didn't really get WRs from other teams I have the feeling that draft is the plan.

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

Just that spider charts that look like that are pretty rare.  That's the only other one I can remember seeing that was almost solid.  And he turned out pretty damned good.

Oh yeah gotcha, Davis is a complete beast and kinda hope we do land him along with Thibs to build an all world defensive line. Would be a lot of fun to watch 

• Upvote 1

If we're to go defense twice under this scenario of having Thib 4th overall, then the next pick must be Lloyd. You can say he's similar to Parson as a do it all LB. Double dipping for Johnson at DE is another option. With the last option being drafting CB McDuffie if the FO wants a complete makeover at the CB position. 

At DT there's guys like Travis Jones (UConn) and Neil Farrell Jr. (LSU) who could be draft day 2 or 3 instead of burning a 1st on Davis.

1 minute ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

If we're to go defense twice under this scenario of having Thib 4th overall, then the next pick must be Lloyd. You can say he's similar to Parson as a do it all LB. Double dipping for Johnson at DE is another option. With the last option being drafting CB McDuffie if the FO wants a complete makeover at the CB position. 

At DT there's guys like Travis Jones (UConn) and Neil Farrell Jr. (LSU) who could be draft day 2 or 3 instead of burning a 1st on Davis.

Alright now hear me out. Draft Thibs and Davis at 4 and 10, and then we trade UP to the 20s or wherever to draft either Lloyd or Dean. How ridiculous would the defense be if we added those 3 guys?

• Sympathy 1

WR does not need to be in the first round.   Receiver in the 2nd with another TE in the 3rd/4th will be fine.  It would be stupid to sacrifice the front seven just because Zach needs to be babied.  Why was he the second overall pick if he needs top talent all around him?

Our front seven was absolute garbage last season and should be the priority.

• Upvote 2