Connor- Baldie the sleuth to take another Ot

1 minute ago, slats said:

If he can’t save himself, someone else will need to. 

I still think edge wins out at 4.  I think the biggest pivot is at 10 where the jets will have offers to move back, wilson will probably be gone, but gardener may slip to 10.  That would be interesting, to see the debates of penning vs gardener vs trading back and taking someone like olave.

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

I still think edge wins out at 4.  I think the biggest pivot is at 10 where the jets will have offers to move back, wilson will probably be gone, but gardener may slip to 10.  That would be interesting, to see the debates of penning vs gardener vs trading back and taking someone like olave.

I think #4 is the pick he’d really love to trade out of, but the trick is finding someone who wants to come up. Especially if the Giants also want to sell at #5. Jets could be a sweet spot for teams jumping Carolina for the QB.  It I just don’t see anyone trading up for the OT or CB people are looking at here as blue chips. 

• Upvote 4

Just now, slats said:

I think #4 is the pick he’d really love to trade out of, but the trick is finding someone who wants to come up. Especially if the Giants also want to sell at #5. Jets could be a sweet spot for teams jumping Carolina for the QB.  It I just don’t see anyone trading up for the OT or CB people are looking at here as blue chips. 

I agree, but i think several teams would love to trade out of those top spots.  If douglas can, great.  Maybe Atlanta really wants a qb and would jump carolina and the giants.  But if they’re not trading out, the jets should just take their fav edge and move on.  If douglas really wants another OT, he’s got 3 day 2 picks to address that.  He needs 2 immediate impact starters with those first rounders.  Edge would be one.  I think there will be fierce debates about what to do at 10 though, b/c odds are wilson is gone and london is just too risky.  I think penning is a reach at 10 as well.  So unfortunately i think the value at 10 will be cb and lb.  If they want to go edge/Lloyd, well, at least the d will be better.  I can easily see this combo, or gardener at 10 if he slips there which is certainly possible.  I would say one wildcard is how they value olave. I can see coaches loving him, he is ready to contribute right away and his speed will really help.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Likely, but not definitely.

I’ve been saying for months that Ekwonu is a very real possibility at #4.  It makes a lot of sense for theJets.  But Thibs might get the nod if he’s there in a situation where Hutch, Neal and Walker are the first 3 taken.

Icky was a possibility before Tomlinson.  He's not a tackle.  Unless the plan is to bump AVT out to LT, Icky makes zero sense on this team.  

Now Cross is a fit for tackle depth this year and a starter moving forward.   He makes a lot of sense at 4 because one of Johnson or Karlaftis will be there at 10. 

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

I’m fine with KT at 4. I think Ickey could be a beast at guard, but I have my reservations about him as a tackle as his pass sets are messy and he has a tendency to duck. I also don’t love the idea of using 1st rounders in back to back years on interior lineman, but if he pans out as quick at guard as AVT did, Jets will likely have a top 10 line next year.

I agree with you that Icky would fail at tackle, but is a monster guard.  However drafting him would be a massive mistake after they signed Laken.  Cross is the player no one is talking about, but fits this system to a T. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Icky was a possibility before Tomlinson.  He's not a tackle.  Unless the plan is to bump AVT out to LT, Icky makes zero sense on this team.  

Now Cross is a fit for tackle depth this year and a starter moving forward. 

I agree with you that Icky would fail at tackle, but is a monster guard.  However drafting him would be a massive mistake after they signed Laken.  Cross is the player no one is talking about, but fits this system to a T. 

Cross is brick, and yes he fits the system much better.  He would be a sneaky pick at 10 but only if douglas had a becton trade in place.  Something i would not put past him, douglas has proven very adept at trading.  

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I spit out my water when I heard about pro bowl Quincy. Saleh hitting the blunt too hard.

they will take thibs - edge is just a bigger need than tackle, despite the good points he made about Fant. 

A year ago Connor said Fant could be cut by now…

Connor also praised Gase offense the first week of 2019 training camp  

Ulbrich said the QW stuff first  

Connor’s opinions stink.  These beat guys need to stick to reporting info not their opinions.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

So you only want people posting that are completely sold on the staff, front office and the roster? I’m not trying to pick a fight, I’m just trying to understand better.

not at all, but starting topics personally trashing and name calling coaches and front office people? Is that the quality of post you want here? there are plenty of respectable divergent opinions here. and lets be honest, if you cant find a crumb of optimism in April...that says something.

(and no, that doesnt say that you are a normal jets fan)

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Why can’t Quincy reach the pro bowl?! He played well. 

Jets have Ekwonu ranked as a guard. Cross is the top OT. So if they want a tackle not sure wtf Connor is talking about. 

Thibs or Cross 4. WR 10 or trade down. Lock it in. 

Boom.

I called it. 

2 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

Makes sense

draft pass rusher who isnt a good pass rusher.

Then reach for tackle who isnt a good pass blocker.  

They’re going to try to emulate the Niners and pass the ball as few times as possible, and even half of those will be horizontal in nature. They don’t need elite pass protectors for that.

• Upvote 1

At least this Connor dude never repeats himself. I love having to watch 20 minutes to get 5 minutes of information.

I do think his points about the offensive line are pretty spot on. It is not as solid a line into the future some say it is. There’s no solid proof of what Fant is actually going to be after this year, and Becton is a toss up. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

I think Connor has it right.

They want to go Edge at 4, but if an Edge isn't there they'll take a Tackle....

And if they go Edge it'll be a WR for sure at 10 (it's probably the biggest need on this team) I think it'll be Williams (JD has been a home run swinger in the first)

It is, although, interesting as to what they do at 10 if they don't get their Edge.  Ultimately I think they still go WR ---- but surely an Edge might be in play - or maybe someone falls that shouldn't have like a Sauce.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

if Becton was included in a draft day trade 

At this point, I hope It happens. Jets are not at a point where they can mess around with a confusing situation like this. Move on fresh. 

Get Becton to another team that has a great dietitian who plays video games, someone he can sync with and make head roads into his weight and work ethic. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I think Connor has it right.

They want to go Edge at 4, but if an Edge isn't there they'll take a Tackle....

And if they go Edge it'll be a WR for sure at 10 (it's probably the biggest need on this team) I think it'll be Williams (JD has been a home run swinger in the first)

It is, although, interesting as to what they do at 10 if they don't get their Edge.  Ultimately I think they still go WR ---- but surely an Edge might be in play - or maybe someone falls that shouldn't have like a Sauce.

Seems weird that OT and EDGE would be the highest ranking needs at 4, but then it’d move to WR at 10, regardless of who they take at 4. I think it’ll be more likely they go EDGE, then OL (or vice versa) and ultimately trade day two picks for a receiver (Hola, Robby)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

I just want Neal and Ickey gone in the top three. That’s it. That’s all I want. 

Bingo. Drafting one of these two at 4 or 10 is dumb and dumber. Our OL is set. No need to draft another OL top prospect with our two top picks this year. And the argument that Becton is ‘fragile’ is senseless, or that Fant is in his final year. Both those factors are meaningless right now. Becton will be ready and Fant will play out the year. We can always grab a OT later in the draft like Lucas, Smith, Raimann to add depth and develop to take over next year. Edge is mandatory with either 4 or 10.  Nightmare scenario: Thibs and Hutch and Gardner are all gone in top 3. In Clint Eastwood voice to JD: ‘what ya gonna do punk?’  At that point I’d just trade back and get extra picks for this year and next. Maybe Saints up 16 & 19 for 4. Then at 10 take Edge JJ or Karlafitis. Or wait until 16/19 if a player you want drops to you at 10. There are some other edges that can be had early round 2 like Mayfe and Ekitibe. But under NO circumstances can JD take an OL at 4 or 10. NOOOO. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

29 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Seems weird that OT and EDGE would be the highest ranking needs at 4, but then it’d move to WR at 10, regardless of who they take at 4. I think it’ll be more likely they go EDGE, then OL (or vice versa) and ultimately trade day two picks for a receiver (Hola, Robby)

I think for sure their preference is to trade for a WR.  
I would be highly disappointed with a Robby type move though.  Just not enough.   
I still think barring a trade prior, a WR at 10 is a lock.  Far too important to play around with at that point.  

• Upvote 3

I listen to every Can’t Wait Pod because Hughes is plugged in. But once Hughes start talking off topic about his weekend or golf you can fast forward 30 seconds until he gets back on topic.  Also Marissa is completely worthless, not because she’s a woman but because she is. The other guys is just a set up guy which is fine.

But I believe Hughes’ take. KT or Icky unless a trade back.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, David Harris said:

I listen to every Can’t Wait Pod because Hughes is plugged in. But once Hughes start talking off topic about his weekend or golf you can fast forward 30 seconds until he gets back on topic.  Also Marissa is completely worthless, not because she’s a woman but because she is. The other guys is just a set up guy which is fine.

But I believe Hughes’ take. KT or Icky unless a trade back.

That’s a huge divergence in draft tactics.  Imagine the flow chart.  If KT, then at 10 either wr/cb/Ot or trade back.  But if icky at 4, then at 10 edge/trade back, b/c they’re not going offense 2x in round 1 again.  Plus you’d have the becton conundrum, does douglas have a trade set for becton if he drafts icky?  

9 hours ago, slimjasi said:

He definitely is in play and I get it if there isn’t an edger rusher there you really like. You say F it and build an elite OL right now.

if that’s the plan, I want another really good back in this draft to complement Carter and another legit TE prospect. 

Having said that, an elite pass rusher helps this team more than an elite LT, as currently constructed. If they think thibs can be a legit edge rusher, he has to be the pick, for me. 

There are zero elite edge in this draft. Zero.

20 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He absolutely can.

In rounds 4 or 5. 

OT Matt Waletzko - like what I hear about this kid. 

Matt Waletzko

OT North Dakota

Height: 6-7 | Weight: 312 | RAS: 9.95

Early on, Waletzko passes the eye test. At 6’7″, 310 pounds, the North Dakota OT has an outrageously long frame — measuring in with a 86-inch wingspan. His long, lumbering strides cover a lot of ground in space, and he’s a rangy blocker with a wide reach. With his length, Waletzko can generate good artificial power with his extensions. Even with his lighter frame, he has decent power capacity, and he can knock players off-base with heavy clubs.

On top of his length, Waletzko is also a good athlete. He’s surprisingly nimble in pass protection. He appears as a springy athlete with easy mobility around the arc. He’s light on his feet when matching defenders, and he keeps a wide, active base in the passing phase. As a run blocker, Waletzko is explosive off the snap. He has the mobility to get to the second level and enter space, and he can pop defenders with power, paving open lanes. The North Dakota OT can bully smaller defenders with his physical tools.

• Upvote 4

I think Hughes’ perspective on the tackle situation is incomplete. The idea that they’ll take a tackle in the draft but he doesn’t know where is reasonable. I get the “what if at least one of Becton/Fant doesn’t work out” perspective.

What he’s missing is “what if they both do work out”. The Tomlinson signing removed any opportunity to move someone to guard. You leave that alone if you want tackle at 4/10 to be in play.

If the four current starters at guard and tackle - all of whom have played well in the NFL - work out, there’s nowhere for a 4-13 team to put their top ten pick. And you need to let a good tackle walk in FA the next year instead of just paying him with a QB on a rookie deal.

A guy in the third round makes sense for that insurance maybe long term starter role - especially because you may only need a backup and if you need a starter it may only be at RT. A top ten pick who’s potentially blocked…would be interesting. Especially because offensive linemen don’t rotate like defensive linemen.

And if you move an incumbent, the rookie needs to play well in front of a young QB still learning to deal with pressure.

Douglas also made a point of saying he noted what the Bengals and Rams did to make the Super Bowl. It wasn’t weighting OL heavily. Pass rushers and playmakers.

I continue to think the OL stuff is a cleverly crafted smokescreen. Also don’t get why Hughes is so stuck on WR at ten and with his talk about the importance of iDL I think he’s ignoring the possibility of a big fella in the first who checks off a lot of what he’s talked about them needing.

I do kind of buy in to his Jets-Thibodeaux take though. Not so sure on his Sauce take but I could see Thibodeaux being ahead of him.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1