Double down @ WR

Our WR room has gotten thinner from last season where we had 2 doods named smith running routes.  no such thing as drafting a WR too high if he winds up being a true number one.  Add to that this offseasons WR contracts.  We have our pick of any WR coming out this year.  If we take the davante adams/jamar chase of this years draft @ 4  I will be ecstatic. Go to our 2nd highest rated WR and take them at 10.  Double down on WR I Say!

https://nypost.com/2022/04/16/ranking-the-top-10-wide-receivers-in-2022-nfl-draft/

1. Drake London, USC, 6-5, 210 pounds

Possession receiver and red-zone target. Recovering from a fractured ankle, so questions linger about top-end speed. Lines up inside and outside. Rips away contested catches with easy strength. Averaged 11 catches per game last season.

2. Jameson Williams, Alabama, 6-2, 189 pounds

Overlooked at Ohio State behind the next two on this list, but his jets outclassed even the fastest cornerbacks in the SEC after transfer. Scored 11 touchdowns of 30 yards or more — some on quick-hitters. Coming off a bowl-game ACL tear.

3. Garrett Wilson, Ohio State, 6-0, 192 pounds

YAC attack! Acceleration and strength to run through tackles means big yards after the catch. Inside/outside versatility and the wide catch radius usually associated with bigger receivers. Played his best at the end of last season.

4. Chris Olave, Ohio State, 6-1, 188 pounds

Smooth route-runner with a knack for creating separation. First receiver multiple Ohio State quarterbacks looked to when plays broke down. Ran a 4.39-second 40-yard dash but scouts want him to add strength to counter press-man coverage.

5. Treylon Burks, Arkansas, 6-3, 225 pounds

Led Power Five receivers with a 98.4 receiving grade on 20-plus yard targets, according to Pro Football Focus. Drawing comparisons to Titans star A.J. Brown because of size/speed combination. Underperformed at NFL Scouting Combine.

6. Christian Watson, North Dakota State, 6-5, 208 pounds

Crushed the combine with the athleticism that will allow him to jump over coverage. Still raw but work ethic suggests he will put in the time to polish off routes. Father was an NFL safety.

7. John Metchie, Alabama, 6-0, 195 pounds

Watch the incredible footwork and short-area quickness on his whip route for the game-winning score against Auburn. Understands leverage and will be a nightmare to cover in the slot when he recovers from ACL tear.

8. Jahan Dotson, Penn State, 5-11, 184 pounds

Undersized but elusive after the catch. Coming off a 91-catch season that highlighted his ball skills, including tracking deep balls and a sense of getting past the sticks on the underneath levels.

9. Skyy Moore, Western Michigan, 5-10, 195 pounds

Huge jump in production to 95-catch, 10-touchdown season in which he attacked the ball. Works the middle of the field and bounces up from big hits. Called “most underrated player in this draft” by ESPN analyst Mel Kiper Jr.

10. Alec Pierce, Cincinnati, 6-3, 213 pounds

Plays even faster than his 4.41-second 40-yard dash time. “Alabama was scared of him,” NBC Sports analyst Chris Simms said. Should be highlighted in the red zone. Won’t back down from hands-on physicality.

Late Riser

Watson: Left scouts buzzing after the Senior Bowl, where his standing back flips weren’t his most impressive feat. More well-rounded than expected. Averaged 26.4 yards per kickoff return, too.

Falling Fast

Metchie: Someone has to pay the price for all the fast-rising non-Power Five receivers. Metchie isn’t getting enough credit for what he does really well when teams want to compare him to the many great Alabama receivers of years past.

Small-School Wonder

Jalen Tolbert, South Alabama, 6-1, 195 pounds

Had seven 100-yard receiving games but saved his best for last and for big challenges, posting 17 catches for 334 yards and two touchdowns against Tennessee and Coastal Carolina in the final two games.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

one of the issues in this draft is that while the WR class is deep, none seem to be a sure fire thing in the top 10...doubling down at 4 and 10 is out of the question. i think a WR at 10, and another one in the middle rounds could be a good deal.

London and Calvin Austin would give us 2 very different players with an elite skill.

• Upvote 2

I know everyone thinks Mims is done, but how the Jets handle draft day will be very telling.  

1 wide out = they might still believe in Mims

2 wide outs = He gone! 

I was all aboard the double dip receiver train, but am now leaning towards the edge and linebacker double dip.  It's the strength of this draft.  

I'm not in love with any of the receivers anymore.  I'd rather build the o line to a super unit and grab Pierce or Tolbert with our third round pick.   This is going to be a power football team until at least Zach's third year.  Lot's of two tight end sets and play action.  

Next year we take a receiver with our first round pick to replace Davis.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, whodeawhodat said:

Our WR room has gotten thinner from last season where we had 2 doods named smith running routes.  no such thing as drafting a WR too high if he winds up being a true number one.  Add to that this offseasons WR contracts.  We have our pick of any WR coming out this year.  If we take the davante adams/jamar chase of this years draft @ 4  I will be ecstatic. Go to our 2nd highest rated WR and take them at 10.  Double down on WR I Say!

https://nypost.com/2022/04/16/ranking-the-top-10-wide-receivers-in-2022-nfl-draft/

Possession receiver and red-zone target. Recovering from a fractured ankle, so questions linger about top-end speed. Lines up inside and outside. Rips away contested catches with easy strength. Averaged 11 catches per game last season.

Overlooked at Ohio State behind the next two on this list, but his jets outclassed even the fastest cornerbacks in the SEC after transfer. Scored 11 touchdowns of 30 yards or more — some on quick-hitters. Coming off a bowl-game ACL tear.

YAC attack! Acceleration and strength to run through tackles means big yards after the catch. Inside/outside versatility and the wide catch radius usually associated with bigger receivers. Played his best at the end of last season.

Smooth route-runner with a knack for creating separation. First receiver multiple Ohio State quarterbacks looked to when plays broke down. Ran a 4.39-second 40-yard dash but scouts want him to add strength to counter press-man coverage.

Led Power Five receivers with a 98.4 receiving grade on 20-plus yard targets, according to Pro Football Focus. Drawing comparisons to Titans star A.J. Brown because of size/speed combination. Underperformed at NFL Scouting Combine.

Crushed the combine with the athleticism that will allow him to jump over coverage. Still raw but work ethic suggests he will put in the time to polish off routes. Father was an NFL safety.

Watch the incredible footwork and short-area quickness on his whip route for the game-winning score against Auburn. Understands leverage and will be a nightmare to cover in the slot when he recovers from ACL tear.

Undersized but elusive after the catch. Coming off a 91-catch season that highlighted his ball skills, including tracking deep balls and a sense of getting past the sticks on the underneath levels.

Huge jump in production to 95-catch, 10-touchdown season in which he attacked the ball. Works the middle of the field and bounces up from big hits. Called “most underrated player in this draft” by ESPN analyst Mel Kiper Jr.

Plays even faster than his 4.41-second 40-yard dash time. “Alabama was scared of him,” NBC Sports analyst Chris Simms said. Should be highlighted in the red zone. Won’t back down from hands-on physicality.

Late Riser

Watson: Left scouts buzzing after the Senior Bowl, where his standing back flips weren’t his most impressive feat. More well-rounded than expected. Averaged 26.4 yards per kickoff return, too.

Falling Fast

Metchie: Someone has to pay the price for all the fast-rising non-Power Five receivers. Metchie isn’t getting enough credit for what he does really well when teams want to compare him to the many great Alabama receivers of years past.

Small-School Wonder

Had seven 100-yard receiving games but saved his best for last and for big challenges, posting 17 catches for 334 yards and two touchdowns against Tennessee and Coastal Carolina in the final two games.

Smells @Warfish-y!

• Haha 1

I remember debating jeudy, waddle, ruggs chase etc. 

The bengals knew to take chase at 5 or 6 or wherever the heck they took him as the #1 WR off the board.  

We are in the position to do that and I like it. 

Hope we know who that True Best WR of this class is and take them at #4.

17 hours ago, k-met57 said:

one of the issues in this draft is that while the WR class is deep, none seem to be a sure fire thing in the top 10...doubling down at 4 and 10 is out of the question. i think a WR at 10, and another one in the middle rounds could be a good deal.

London and Calvin Austin would give us 2 very different players with an elite skill.

I wouldnt be mad if we took one at 4 and 10.  IF they feel very strong about a guy that will be available later I am okay with that, I guess.  

We have the longest drought of drafting a WR in the 1st rd last one being santana moss.  Now we have the opportunity to take any WR we want.  Cant tell me there isnt going to be super stud at the NFL level waiting to join our offense at #4.

19 hours ago, whodeawhodat said:

Late Riser

Falling Fast

Small-School Wonder

Cbs No GIF by HULU

18 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I know everyone thinks Mims is done, but how the Jets handle draft day will be very telling.  

2 wide outs = He gone! 

I was all aboard the double dip receiver train, but am now leaning towards the edge and linebacker double dip.  It's the strength of this draft.  

I'm not in love with any of the receivers anymore.  I'd rather build the o line to a super unit and grab Pierce or Tolbert with our third round pick.   This is going to be a power football team until at least Zach's third year.  Lot's of two tight end sets and play action.  

I have a feeling the team is leaning this way.

Gonna see a lot of 12 personnel and that's only 2 receivers on the field.

I personally think they still have a little hope Mims turns it around, which is some pretty big optimism after watching him play last season. 

I think they go after a decent running back. 

They brought in some beef on the line in the way of all pro guard and 2 TEs that can block pretty well.

Would love to see them add top receiver talent but they may see developmental talent as the way to go. Pierce is pretty intriguing. Might the Mims they want Mims to be.

10 hours ago, Larz said:

Supporting Wilson is the prime directive.   Yes they need to use a high pick on a WR

but without a pass rush, losing 31-21 won’t be considered progress and we know it.  The billboards will be out. 

I say support the QB position in general.  If it aint zack it will need to be someone else.  Maybe if we had some pieces we would be more desirable?

Wilson at #10

Tolbert at #69

That's an acceptable double down IMO.  Wilson/Davis/Moore/Tolbert/Berrios/Mims is an excellent WR room IMO.  Wilson/Davis/Moore start, Tolbert the #4 and deep threat, Berrios the KR and Tricky Dick, Mims gets a last chance to prove himself.  Affordable, and reasonable, leaving more than enough picks for Defense.

With that said, I'd also like to spend #38 on Breece Hall of Iowa State OR #111 on Tyler Allgeier of BYU at HB, to pair with Carter.

If I see us get Wilson/Hall/Tolbert, and the rest of the draft is spent on Defense (maybe a Depth OT late) I'd be happy.

If we get Hall, you'd still have #4, #35, #111, #117, #146 & #163 to spend, likely on an Edge at #4, a CB, S or LB at #35, a second Edge at #111, and depth DT/Edge/LB/CB as desired at #117/#146/#163

That's a draft I could support. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Wilson at #10

Tolbert at #69

That's an acceptable double down IMO.  Wilson/Davis/Moore/Tolbert/Berrios/Mims is an excellent WR room IMO.  Wilson/Davis/Moore start, Tolbert the #4 and deep threat, Berrios the KR and Tricky Dick, Mims gets a last chance to prove himself.  Affordable, and reasonable, leaving more than enough picks for Defense.

With that said, I'd also like to spend #38 on Breece Hall of Iowa State OR #111 on Tyler Allgeier of BYU at HB, to pair with Carter.

If I see us get Wilson/Hall/Tolbert, and the rest of the draft is spent on Defense (maybe a Depth OT late) I'd be happy.

You'd still have #4, #35, #117, #146 & #163 to spend, likely on an Edge at #4, a CB, S or LB at #35, and depth DT/Edge/LB/CB as desired at #117/#146/#163

I like this. Williams is my top WR, but I would get behind this - Wilson is a really good scheme fit and has the chance to be an excellent pro. 

But what do you do if the Falcons take Wilson at 8? Who you taking at 10? 

On 4/16/2022 at 4:25 PM, Jimmy 2 Times said:

2 wide outs = He gone! 

And/or by next year maybe get a WR in a trade or some of the big named WRs start becoming FAs and may gravitate more to us if we show more competitiveness this year plus we will have the money to pay up.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I like this. Williams is my top WR, but I would get behind this - Wilson is a really good scheme fit and has the chance to be an excellent pro. 

But what do you do if the Falcons take Wilson at 8? Who you taking at 10? 

Don't really have a 2nd preference for WR at #10.  As long as it's a WR, I suppose I'll be happy.  London, Burks, Williams, Olave, all have potential I could embrace.  If Olave is more a 15-20 pick, a trade down is possible + Olave might be nice.  But honestly, I'm a Wilson fan, but I'd be ok with most of the top WR prospects, I just desperately want another top WR prospect on the roster to pair with Davis and Moore as the starters.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Wilson at #10

Tolbert at #69

If we get Hall, you'd still have #4, #35, #111, #117, #146 & #163 to spend, likely on an Edge at #4, a CB, S or LB at #35, a second Edge at #111, and depth DT/Edge/LB/CB as desired at #117/#146/#163

I’d be a little bummed if they went with two small wr’s. They already have nothing but shrimps. I feel like they need at least one guy who’s 6’3” or more who is not named Mims. Maybe Ross over Tolbert? Watkins in the 2nd over Wilson in the first? I dunno. They just need at least some height. 

1 minute ago, the Claw said:

I’d be a little bummed if they went with two small wr’s. They already have nothing but shrimps. I feel like they need at least one guy who’s 6’3” or more who is not named Mims. Maybe Ross over Tolbert? Watkins in the 2nd over Wilson in the first? I dunno. They just need at least some height. 

That is what TE's are for.

Speed (and great route running) wins.  

Not that I have any problem with big, strong WR's per se.  But with the modern receiving TE, they're less necessary at WR.

• Upvote 2

On 4/16/2022 at 4:25 PM, Jimmy 2 Times said:

2 wide outs = He gone! 

Agreed, I am afraid to mention his name but I don't want to write him off just yet.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

That is what TE's are for.

Speed (and great route running) wins.  

Not that I have any problem with big, strong WR's per se.  But with the modern receiving TE, they're less necessary at WR.

I suppose.  I’d just prefer more balance at the position. 

• Upvote 1