### The Official Round One Draft Day Discussion Thread ###

Maxman

3 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Quick thought: It’s awesome to watch JD in the draft room at work. I never see him so giddy, he’s in his element, having fun, kicking ass and taking names. 
Him and Saleh are truly on the same page and are step by step with this thing. Ulbrich was JACKED when Sauce happened. He’s prob the happiest guy tonight. 
They tried to trade back up again at the end of the first but didn’t happen. 
Also the whole, Woody will have a role nonsense. Throw that out the window. It’s JDs show, Woody obviously just signs off on it all. Woody has no idea who half these guys are. 

Wonder who they were after? Breece Hall or Devin Lloyd would feel like stealing at this point t

28 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

It’s not just the needles that are moving!!!?……..went to bed at 3am (I’m in the UK) while they were at pick 16 …happy but a little deflated that we didn’t take JJ at 10 and concerned where we are going to get our edge rusher, then wake up to this news……amazing, after almost 40 years of following this team it finally feels like we can have nice things on draft day!!…..Pumped AF

Well done on staying up that late ... I woke up about 3.30am and checked my phone to see the first two picks, felt very pleased but wondered how we were going to fill Edge. Woke up at 7am to see we had traded up and was genuinely surprised that we'd got JJ on top of Sauce & Wilson.

Might stay up tonight to see who we pick in Round 2. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, mrcoops said:

I'm just not buying the Sauce at 4 stuff.  Yes, a great prospect and a player I like, and he has been linked to the Jets by just about everyone, but I just don't see it.

Saleh just doesn't seem to place a premium on man-cover CBs, his scheme is all about hitting the QB early and often.

What's also amazing to me is how bought in people are to a CB at 4.  I'm old enough to remember when CB wasn't a "premium position"...usually around the same time that Revis was looking for a new contract.

For me, it's edge at 4 (assuming one is there that the Jets like, hopefully Hutch or Thibs), then WR (Wilson my pick, Jets may prefer London or even pull a shocker with Olave.  Can't see us picking Williams).

Anyway....it's Draft Day!!!

Sauce will be gone in three years like Jamal . Where is the Offensive Lineman ? Zach can't throw from his ass ?

• Thumb Down 1

10 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I went to sleep half way through because who can actually sit up and watch 4 hours of calling names out and cliches?  But to wake up to Jermaine Johnson is so sexy.  And you're welcome.  For months I've said Sauce/JJ, I switched up to Thibs/Davis so I didnt do the JiF jinx.  And we got Wilson too!  What a night! 

JD is a god.

I was bummed out passing on Thibs, and especially when the vaGiants took him at 5.  But trading up for JJ made it all better. ?

Loved Garrett Wilson from the start.

I didn't think CB was a need, but i trust JD and Saleh. Sauce is a fine prospect. 

16 minutes ago, YankeeJet22 said:

I was bummed out passing on Thibs, and especially when the vaGiants took him at 5.  But trading up for JJ made it all better. ?

Loved Garrett Wilson from the start.

I didn't think CB was a need, but i trust JD and Saleh. Sauce is a fine prospect. 

Dont get me wrong, I would have been happy with Thibs/Davis but Sauce/JJ w/ Wilson is a beautiful haul.  I really didnt expect them to take a WR at 10, especially after London went and so many people had us tied to him but I preferred Wilson soooo much more.  Epic day 1.  Still have a chance a one or two more studs.  I assume the Jags take Dean to open the 2nd, but that would be an interesting prospect if he's there when the Jets are on the clock.  Not sure if they'd go offense again but the value right now looks secondary and edge and I just cant imagine them double doubling down on either, wondering if that brings a McBride, a RB or a OL in play. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Dont get me wrong, I would have been happy with Thibs/Davis but Sauce/JJ w/ Wilson is a beautiful haul.  I really didnt expect them to take a WR at 10, especially after London went and so many people had us tied to him but I preferred Wilson soooo much more.  Epic day 1.  Still have a chance a one or two more studs.  I assume the Jags take Dean to open the 2nd, but that would be an interesting prospect if he's there when the Jets are on the clock.  Not sure if they'd go offense again but the value right now looks secondary and edge and I just cant imagine them double doubling down on either, wondering if that brings a McBride, a RB or a OL in play. 

edit; that's what happens when you fall asleep, didnt see the Jags moved up for Lloyd.  Yikes!  They botched this draft.  I love me some Lloyd but to stay put and get Dean without having to move up?  Wow.  The Jags suck.

Not sure how it compares to previous years, but 18 of the 32 first round picks were involved in trades. And only 1 of the first 8. So of the 24 later picks, 17 were part of some sort of trade. 

13 of the second round picks have already been traded too, and you have to think that this will increase once they get underway. Still QBs to be had, and plenty QB needy teams around. It wouldn't surprise me if JD traded back to pick up another pick between the current early 2 (38) and very late 3 (101) - that's quite a large gap. Will depend on who is available I guess - if there's a slam-dunk pick, make it and don't look back. If not, a trade that nets another late 2 / early-mid 3 would make sense.

3 hours ago, jamesr said:

Well done on staying up that late ... I woke up about 3.30am and checked my phone to see the first two picks, felt very pleased but wondered how we were going to fill Edge. Woke up at 7am to see we had traded up and was genuinely surprised that we'd got JJ on top of Sauce & Wilson.

Might stay up tonight to see who we pick in Round 2. 

Hopefully you won’t have to wait long !

• Upvote 1

Well the Jets actually selected the three players most rumored to be coming here. Except nobody thought they'd get all 3 of them. When they announced the trade up there was some speculation from commentators they could take the Iowa State Rb. It would have made sense but taking the edge rusher expected to go around 11 was pretty smart too. Not sure today if we can get the running back the Michigan State guy is also a good player. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Moving forward i would love to see them pair a Breece Hall or Spiller qith MC... but don't see JD picking a RB until the 4th rd. 

LBer is next on teh menu. 

8 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Yep. 

The good news is Wilson is considered a considerably better prospect than Mims was coming out. Wilson was widely regarded as WR1 in this draft class given Williams' injury history . Mims had many more detractors.  Wilson was probably a lock to be one of the next two picks had the Jets passed on him. 

I was actually more thinking of JJ, seeing as he was the one who dropped.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

I was actually more thinking of JJ, seeing as he was the one who dropped.

Ahhh, yes. 

It sounds like the Jets think JJ is a perfect scheme fit and Saleh mentioned that they thought he was particularly pro ready. We'll see. 

I'm not great at projecting pass rushers - I have a much better track record with WRs and I love the one they took.

But JJ seemed like a very logical fit for their defense. 

• Upvote 1

So the pundits weren't surprised the Patriots traded back (again) but when they did select the player they chose. I think Mel said he was projected as a second round pick. But they also said he is a Patriots type of player so maybe it's not all about raw talent. It's the way he plays and understands and follows a game plan. NEP has usually drafted well on the O-line. But the selection was a surprise to the experts. 

7 hours ago, Paradis said:

I dunno man. You can spin that same sense of reluctance for 32 teams In 32 drafts. Nothing is guaranteed/bulletproof… but for once, on paper, we killed it. 

I feel like we hear this all the time, though, lol.

I just want this time to be different, ya know?

16 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Ahhh, yes. 

It sounds like the Jets think JJ is a perfect scheme fit and Saleh mentioned that they thought he was particularly pro ready. We'll see. 

I'm not great at projecting pass rushers - I have a much better track record with WRs and I love the one they took.

But JJ seemed like a very logical fit for their defense. 

For now, I'm gonna trust they know what they're doing, even though watching this defense last season didn't give me any indication that they do, lol.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

So the pundits weren't surprised the Patriots traded back (again) but when they did select the player they chose. I think Mel said he was projected as a second round pick. But they also said he is a Patriots type of player so maybe it's not all about raw talent. It's the way he plays and understands and follows a game plan. NEP has usually drafted well on the O-line. But the selection was a surprise to the experts. 

Bill Belichick found out he was running a card counting scheme while in Vegas, and thought he'd be a perfect student of The Patriot Way.

• Haha 1