Captain Morgan Cut By Colts

7 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I view all these teams picking up Morgan for a tryout a vote of confidence for GM Joe Douglas.  Joe Douglas drafted him and apparently that was good enough for other teams to kick the tires to find out why.

Haha jokes on them

A failed dart throw on a cheap back-up/ developmental QB.

I blame Douglas for the move, even though I’m sure Gase had something to with it.  

It doesn’t seem that hard to hang on a roster as a 3rd string QB but that bar has been too high for Captain Morgan.

On the positive side, the Pats have probably drafted way more developmental QBs that haven’t panned out.  Of course we’ve drafted more QBs to start for us that haven’t panned out… so that’s not making me feel that much better.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I view all these teams picking up Morgan for a tryout a vote of confidence for GM Joe Douglas.  Joe Douglas drafted him and apparently that was good enough for other teams to kick the tires to find out why.

All these teams could not grasp that it's all a part of JD's complex 14 year plan.   Eventually, Morgan will return and lead us to triumph after triumph.  Then, they will see.

2 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Such a deep receiver class and he went QB. 

Not sure he would have picked Gabriel Davis or Darnell Mooney but he might have.

For what it's worth, most of this forum wanted Gandy-Golden at that pick.

And Gandy-Golden has been a complete nothing at the NFL level.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

For what it's worth, most of this forum wanted Gandy-Golden at that pick.

And Gandy-Golden has been a complete nothing at the NFL level.

Yupppp.  1 catch (7 targets) for 3 whole yards in his career to date.

Damn you Joe Douglas.  Damn you!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

QB-needy team drafts a big-armed QB in Rd 4.  Outrage ensues.

They were not a QB needy team, did they think this guy would walk into the team and unset darnold and not draft a Qb the next year?

Guess what?  Your comment sounds like a fine justification for hackenburg.

Total wasted pick.

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

They were not a QB needy team, did they think this guy would walk into the team and unset darnold and not draft a Qb the next year?

Total wasted pick.

It's time to let it go.  It was a 4th round pick.  It's just not that big of a deal.  The hand wringing over this pick is just way over the top.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

30 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

It's time to let it go.  It was a 4th round pick.  It's just not that big of a deal.  The hand wringing over this pick is just way over the top.  

No it is not time to let it go.  Do you want to ignore the last two good drafts?  As in let it go Douglas did not nothing special?

The whole draft was pretty awful, bad picks and bad planning of picks.

Give credit where credit is due, but take the hits as well.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Total wasted pick.

Darnold was an enormous question mark entering year 3 and they didn't have a viable backup on the roster.  New regimes always mean new QB's, even if those new QB's are just backups.

And Hackenberg was drafted to be the starter.  He was a 6th round prospect taken in Rd 2, and Maccagnan even doubled down on him the following year, taking a Box Safety at 6 overall and no QB's in that draft class.

Morgan was a 5th or so round prospect taken in Rd 4.

Your comment sounds like a massive exaggeration/stretch and its silly to be this pissed about it 2 years later.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, undertow said:

Trading back to collect 4th and 5th round picks genius...wasting said picks no big deal.

I hate that those picks didn't work out too.  The Perine pick was an egregiously bad one.  But I don't get why the Morgan pick in particular gets so much vitriol.  It's worth it to take shots on midround QBs you like.  They're the most valuable commodity in the league, and we've seen a couple 4th rounders (Dak, Cousins) who worked out in fairly recent years.  Like....who cares? 

If you want to complain about the TOTALITY of those wasted 4th rounders, I'm down for that.  Singling out the Morgan pick makes no real sense to me.  People have been whining about that one for so long.

• Upvote 2

Agree - not a big deal in the grand scheme of things - and not an indictment of the entire Douglas regime.  A bad fourth round pick though (poor evaluation, poor value).  Preferred at the time that the pick be used as another dart throw on a position need...that probably would have also missed...

Not the end of the world.  Non premium draft picks are not usually game changers or franchise altering picks.

I do think Douglas was influenced by Gase, as it didn't seem consistent with the Douglas master plan.