OTA updates 6/9

35 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

Besides "it's June," which doesn't actually explain anything, I'm not sure why there is "really nothing ... to be gleaned from these practices?"  Last year, Wilson struggled with being a pro-QB.  That is to say, struggled with decision making and accuracy.  His strengths were as a flag football QB.

Why is it not, at least somewhat, concerning, that he continues to struggle to see the field and put the ball where it's supposed to be?

I do not like Mac Jones, but why is it not concerning that he can he go 20 for 21 in these sessions and Wilson can't look adequate in shorts with no pressure?

We keep seeing highlights on twitter of him side arming the ball... Who cares?  Show me him dropping back and putting the ball exactly where it's supposed to be.  That's what's going to make him successful.

Stop being so negative man, it’s June 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

I understand this is June OTA practices.

However, this is Year 2 for the offense.  Throwing multiple INTs during a single practice, and INTs in back to back practices is somewhat concerning while wearing a red jersey and not facing a real pass rush.

It is what it is.  We'll see what happens when real bullets start flying.  But I would much rather be reading about high completion percentage, multiple first downs, and command of the offense.

Guy, QBs throw INTs, especially when the defense knows what’s coming. Plus we just dumped infinite resources into our secondary, I’d hope they get a few INTs.

I don’t care about INTs in June, tell me about his processing and decisiveness right now, is that improved?

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

16 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

Every year since I've been on these websites, I'm told that preseason in meaningless, and then, the regular season comes around all all the same issues that occurred in preseason are still happening.

But there's been preseasons where the offense looked great. Then real games come around and well, we stink again. So it's just hard to read into these practices and pre season games. The actual season is a totally different ball game. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sammybighead said:

Guy, QBs throw INTs, especially when the defense knows what’s coming. Plus we just dumped infinite resources into our secondary, I’d hope they get a few INTs.

I don’t care about INTs in June, tell me about his processing and decisiveness right now, is that improved?

Completely agree.  Right now it's about him getting through his reads quickly and making quick decisions - knowing where his receivers will be and going for it. 

If he's doing that and forcing a few things - I have no real problem with it this year.  If he's made the decision to trust his footwork, trust his WR's and get the ball out quickly - if he's doing that and missing a few throws I have NO worries about that -

In fact I would be emboldened by it - knowing he understood his problems and has the courage to try and fix it - even if it means he'll make some early mistakes.

We've certainly heard he's been more decisive - but I honestly don't think our beat reporters know much more beyond "almost intercepted" after the "almosts" it's over their heads.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

But there's been preseasons where the offense looked great. Then real games come around and well, we stink again. So it's just hard to read into these practices and pre season games. The actual season is a totally different ball game. 

Which preseasons were these?

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ZachEY said:

Besides "it's June," which doesn't actually explain anything, I'm not sure why there is "really nothing ... to be gleaned from these practices?"  Last year, Wilson struggled with being a pro-QB.  That is to say, struggled with decision making and accuracy.  His strengths were as a flag football QB.

Why is it not, at least somewhat, concerning, that he continues to struggle to see the field and put the ball where it's supposed to be?

I do not like Mac Jones, but why is it not concerning that he can he go 20 for 21 in these sessions and Wilson can't look adequate in shorts with no pressure?

We keep seeing highlights on twitter of him side arming the ball... Who cares?  Show me him dropping back and putting the ball exactly where it's supposed to be.  That's what's going to make him successful.

I wouldn’t drink the Mac kool-aid just yet

tldw: Mac was OK

34 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

Every year since I've been on these websites, I'm told that preseason in meaningless, and then, the regular season comes around all all the same issues that occurred in preseason are still happening.

It’s well managed losing. Every occurrence, specifically losing, is random and there are no signs that it’s coming. And those that point out alarming signs are told they care about stuff that doesn’t matter. OTA’s don’t matter. Next week mini camp matter, reps in preseason don’t matter etc etc

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

It’s well managed losing. Every occurrence, specifically losing, is random and there are no signs that it’s coming. And those that point out alarming signs are told they care about stuff that doesn’t matter. OTA’s don’t matter. Next week mini camp matter, reps in preseason don’t matter etc etc

I think you can point out alarming signs, but you also have to be cognizant of the numerous examples of good preseasons that amounted to nothing and bad preseasons that ended up being false alarms. 

Ironically, Zach Wilson himself, from just last year, is a good example of the former. On the flip side, you have guys like Leon Washington, who according to Eric Mangini, struggled mightily in his first camp with the Jets but then out of nowhere had a kickoff return for a TD in one of the preseason games that year and went on to have a nice rookie year. 

Of course you also have guys like Russell Wilson who were amazing right away and dominated camp from the get go. There are a lot of examples and counterexamples to go around, I'm sure. 

For me, the biggest thing would be growth. You want to see that a guy is better than August than he is in June and better in November than he is in September. 

• Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

I not sure the needle should move significantly during these practices, of course.  But, it's really quite simple - when you don't look good in all the same ways you didn't look good last year - that's concerning - and if you do look good in the ways you didn't last year - that's reason to believe he's improving.

I get it, but there is a lot going on.  Generally the D starts stronger than the O.  There were a bunch of new pieces added at WR, TE, RB and the G.  Most importantly, you are supposed to make mistakes in practice.  Try things, force the issue.  I think concerning is probably a good word for it.  If he is making what sounds like the same mistakes it is concerning, but does not necessarily prove anything. 

Last year I thought Zach looked surprisingly good through camp and what preseason snaps he saw.  I was surprised he took so few snaps in preseason, but none of that mattered when he lookee much worse then the bullets started flying.

56 minutes ago, Lith said:

I would agree with you if you were talking more about the totality of the offseason.  By most counts, he struggled a couple of days ago.  Looked good yesterday.  Struggled today.  Majority of practices have been closed to media, so we have no info on how he has looked through most of the sessions.

Not sure what you can conclude from anyhting reported so far.

That I'd want a 2nd overall pick, 2nd year QB, to be consistently good at essentially, playing catch.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

47 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Didn't Zach Wilson have a good preseason last year

Umm... No?

He had a good enough preseason for a rookie - sure.  But, actually good.  Not how I remember it.  I do remember getting pounced on for saying that I didn't think he was ready, and that I was disappointed a capable starting QB was not in camp.  He certainly improved over time, which was nice, and I acknowledged that.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, ZachEY said:

Really?  Because, I recall expecting to "learn a lot about Sam Darnold this season" and "learn a lot about Mark Sanchez this season."  I'd argue we've had that "luxury" with some real consistency.

Sorry but no. Sanchez had some good talent around him that deteriorated quickly. Geno didn't have much around him, Sam had nothing around him. So no, we've never recently been in a position where we can fairly judge a young QB in his second year.

I will have no pity for zach if he stinks and shows no hope this year. But if that happens, at least we'll know we need to move on rather than dragging this out over 5 years...

Of course, I'm praying he's a stud but we're not gonna confirm that judging throws in practice.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, ZachEY said:

Umm... No?

He had a good enough preseason for a rookie - sure.  But, actually good.  Not how I remember it.  I do remember getting pounced on for saying that I didn't think he was ready, and that I was disappointed a capable starting QB was not in camp.  He certainly improved over time, which was nice, and I acknowledged that.

Hmm. Ok. 

I remember most people thinking his first preseason was pretty good. I only watched one preseason game last year because I was traveling, so I'm not someone to ask. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I get it, but there is a lot going on.  Generally the D starts stronger than the O.  There were a bunch of new pieces added at WR, TE, RB and the G.  Most importantly, you are supposed to make mistakes in practice.  Try things, force the issue.  I think concerning is probably a good word for it.  If he is making what sounds like the same mistakes it is concerning, but does not necessarily prove anything. 

Last year I thought Zach looked surprisingly good through camp and what preseason snaps he saw.  I was surprised he took so few snaps in preseason, but none of that mattered when he lookee much worse then the bullets started flying.

The good news is, "concerning" is exactly the word I said.

The DON'T BE SO NEGATIVE HOW DARE YOU crowd can't tolerate that the, admittedly, microscopic difference between "I'm concerned with what I'm seeing" and "cut Zach Wilson, fire joe douglas"

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, ZachEY said:

Same.  Seems like every year we hear reports of the defense is waaaaay ahead of the offense, but that's to be expected.   Reports of the QB not being able to move the ball, but OTAs are meaningless.   Reports of overthrown balls, but don't worry it's training camp.    Every year same thing.   

Yeah I would say it's concerning.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, ZachEY said:

This isn't Preseason.

It's not even Training Camp.

It's OTA's.

I agree with you, Preseason does matter.

But I do think it's early to get too worked up, one way or the other, today.  JMO. 

These OTA's won't change my view, for better or worse.  Preseason tho, might.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This isn't Preseason.

It's not even Training Camp.

It's OTA's.

I agree with you, Preseason does matter.

But I do think it's early to get too worked up, one way or the other, today.  JMO. 

These OTA's won't change my view, for better or worse.  Preseason tho, might.

Are "concerned" and "worked up" the same?

16 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

The good news is, "concerning" is exactly the word I said.

The DON'T BE SO NEGATIVE HOW DARE YOU crowd can't tolerate that the, admittedly, microscopic difference between "I'm concerned with what I'm seeing" and "cut Zach Wilson, fire joe douglas"

Maybe you should clarify.  You can't expect everyone to pick up the nuances of your posts.