OTA updates 6/9

39 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Our Defense last year was the worst in Franchise history, and received several meaningful upgrades and has several players now in the 2nd year as opposed to being green rookies.

If Zach took a big step up, and our Defense also took a big step up, what do you think it would look like this early in OTA's, where Defense typically > Offense.

Don't get me wrong, you'd have to think the Defense got better and Zach got better to think this was possible, but if they did, it's likely it would look...just like this.

maybe when the backups beat the snot out of the starters in a scrimmage.. you just have really good depth. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

Fair but I caution looking for that evidence on a practice by practice basis. Yesterday he was a God. Today we hate him.

We need to remember that from one practice to the next additional new players are being added from the playbook. On the other side of the ball the Defense is making adjustments from one practice to the next. Sammy is right… If you evaluate one practice compared to the following practice compared to the following practice etc. you’ll goCrazy.

4 hours ago, ZachEY said:

Every year since I've been on these websites, I'm told that preseason in meaningless, and then, the regular season comes around all all the same issues that occurred in preseason are still happening.

Nah man Gholston’s gonna break out anyday now. He’s just adapting.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

How many times can you repeat the same nonsense?  We get it, youre going to whine that theyre not practicing enough, dont practice as much as the Pats.  Without having a clue how much they practice or the Pats practice.

FWIW, Belichick hs cancelled OTA practices, so I guess we are practicing more in June than the Pats.

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

How many times can you repeat the same nonsense?  We get it, youre going to whine that theyre not practicing enough, dont practice as much as the Pats.  Without having a clue how much they practice or the Pats practice.

The posts will continue until the winning improves :) 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You draft a QB there are no guarantees, thats the nature of the business.  You fire him if the whole program sucks, not if one player sucks

I agree, but I get @bitonti's conventional wisdom. I just hope Douglas sees that.

Well, really I hope Wilson proves me wrong and is good. 

But I'm very open to a veteran in 2023 if Wilson bombs.

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

I really feel like someone from the future needs to come back to the present and tell us all about all the Superbowls the Jets have already won in the future. Some people just won't believe it until it actually happens. 

Don't you mean someone from the future (possibly 20 years down the road) needs to tell us about how the rebuild is still going?

2 hours ago, CSNY said:

Asking the people on the board as some dissect every throw. Figure someone has to know something about what is going on 

No. They are basing their opinions on how Wilson is playing based on tweets from beat reporters who are reporting on each OTA pass with the goal of getting hits. So  the information is 2nd or 3rd hand from such "reliable" sources such as Cimini and Mr "out of bounce" DJ Bien-Aime.  Please.  There is no context to these reports.  No information on what the plays are or what the Jets are working on or whether the receiver ran the correct route or whatever. These ad hoc tweets that "Wilson just hit Moore for a 20 yard gain" or "Wilson picked off" mean nothing without context. And who knows what it means when they say Wilson was 5-8 with a TD and an Int in goal line drills?   I can't glean anything from a bunch of random tweets from these reporters, most of whom have an agenda that is not reporting and who know less about the team and football than I do.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

No. They are basing their opinions on how Wilson is playing based on tweets from beat reporters who are reporting on each OTA pass with the goal of getting hits. So  the information is 2nd or 3rd hand from such "reliable" sources such as Cimini and Mr "out of bounce" DJ Bien-Aime.  Please.  There is no context to these reports.  No information on what the plays are or what the Jets are working on or whether the receiver ran the correct route or whatever. These ad hoc tweets that "Wilson just hit Moore for a 20 yard gain" or "Wilson picked off" mean nothing without context. And who knows what it means when they say Wilson was 5-8 with a TD and an Int in goal line drills?   I can't glean anything from a bunch of random tweets from these reporters, most of whom have an agenda that is not reporting and who know less about the team and football than I do.  

You and I both know that people are posting what they see written. No one here on the board truly knows what is going on during practices. We as a fan base will see soon enough with our own eyes if Zach and the team in general has improved significantly 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

JD won't ever move on from Zach because to do so would invite his own firing 

So if a bunch of JDs draft picks do great you think he gets fired because Wilson doesn't pan out? So we can hire the next guy you will want fired after one draft?

Sorry to break the news to you, but you're stuck with JD for a long time. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think it's the opposite really. If everything else is going well and it's clear the QB is the problem I think he can save his job by making a switch at QB. Sticking with a bad QB stubbornly is guaranteed to end with his firing.

I agree. Look at the Colts. Ballard has been churning QBs including using a 1st rounder on Wentz and he has plenty of job security because he has built a good roster.

If JD builds a really good roster and Zach bust, it would be silly to let him go.  We have an unproven roster though.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

49 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

So if a bunch of JDs draft picks do great you think he gets fired because Wilson doesn't pan out? So we can hire the next guy you will want fired after one draft?

Sorry to break the news to you, but you're stuck with JD for a long time. 

Sorry to break the news to you but other than Elijah Moore and AVT, JD hasn't hit on any draft picks yet 

If JD thought ZW was the savior, and he's wrong, why would woody let him choose again? 

In this scenario the only way he saves his job is if Mike white turns out to be Kurt Warner 

• Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Sorry to break the news to you but other than Elijah Moore and AVT, JD hasn't hit on any draft picks yet 

Add in both Michael Carters, B Hall, a healthy Becton, a starting punter.  Thats in 2 drafts and who knows what we have in this years drafts that have been pretty universally praised.

Hes had 3 drafts, one hasnt even played yet the others are early to rate and youre complain on how many have hit.  Fine analysis of JDs drafts going on here

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

2 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Seriously?  I hope this was a joke.  If not, you are a piece of work.  You post this after 2 days of mandatory OTAs on June 9th?  Some of you need to spend less time reading these tweets about OTAs.  We will know if Wilson took a leap in November/December and not a day sooner than that.  If you don't understand that, you have an agenda and are hoping for him to fail.  

A couple of things here.

1) I would be beyond thrilled if Zach Wilson was awesome here. The idea that if you aren't blindly assuming he'll be great you're "hoping for him to fail" is silly.

2) We will know well before November if he took a leap. If he sucks again the first six weeks of the season he's probably a bust.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, GreenFish said:

I agree. Look at the Colts. Ballard has been churning QBs including using a 1st rounder on Wentz and he has plenty of job security because he has built a good roster.

If JD builds a really good roster and Zach bust, it would be silly to let him go.  We have an unproven roster though.

Precisely. Colts are a great example. They've built a quality roster and are a "good team" even though they can't figure out QB. Give those guys time -- QB is more of a crap shoot than most positions.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Add in both Michael Carters, B Hall, a healthy Becton, a starting punter.  Thats in 2 drafts and who knows what we have in this years drafts that have been pretty universally praised.

Hes had 3 drafts, one hasnt even played yet the others are early to rate and youre complain on how many have hit.  Fine analysis of JDs drafts going on here

By the standards of drafted punters, Mann sucks

His 2020 draft is basically worthless 

I did forget about Michael Carter tho. 

It's still not enough to overlook a ZW bust 

I'll say it again if Zach busts they aren't going to let jd pick another franchise qb 

Why would they? Because he did such a great job evaluating James Morgan and Zach?

• Thumb Down 1

Hmm. Ok. 
I remember most people thinking his first preseason was pretty good. I only watched one preseason game last year because I was traveling, so I'm not someone to ask. 
I thought he looked like crap against both Washington and Green Bay

And looked great against our defense

Then we saw last year why he looked great against our defense.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

30 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

A couple of things here.

1) I would be beyond thrilled if Zach Wilson was awesome here. The idea that if you aren't blindly assuming he'll be great you're "hoping for him to fail" is silly.

2) We will know well before November if he took a leap. If he sucks again the first six weeks of the season he's probably a bust.

Yeah, but you are calling it after two freakin days of minicamp and that is beyond ridiculous.  

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I'll say it again if Zach busts they aren't going to let jd pick another franchise qb 

Why would they? Because he did such a great job evaluating James Morgan and Zach?

In fairness, its pretty well documented the level of group think and buy in to picking zach. It wasn't a pure JD decision. If he's a bust, JD, the staff and the entire scouting department are gone.

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

Don't you mean someone from the future (possibly 20 years down the road) needs to tell us about how the rebuild is still going?

This is exactly what I'm talking about.. @Joe W. Namath told us the Jets have already won multiple Superbowls in the future under Douglas. Some of ya'll are gonna look mighty foolish for not believing until it happens. 

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

If JD thought ZW was the savior, and he's wrong, why would woody let him choose again? 

In this scenario the only way he saves his job is if Mike white turns out to be Kurt Warner 

Got news for you Bit.

Mike White > Kurt Warner

Not even close 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

I thought he looked like crap against both Washington and Green Bay

And looked great against our defense

Then we saw last year why he looked great against our defense.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

He was 9-11 for 128 and 2 TDs against GB.  We didn't play Washington in the preseason.  He was also 6-9 ~65 yards against the Giants.  Did not play against the Eagles in game 3.

15-20, 190+ yards. 2 TDs and 0 picks.  He may not have been going against all starters, but I am not sure what more you could have wanted out of him in his two pre-season games.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Does anybody notice that every single tweet from practice is about Wilson?   Nothing about how Hall looks. Nothing about Moore or G. Wilson or the TEs. Nothing about Gardner.  Nothing about anything other than what will get the reaction you see in this thread.  Wilson did this and didn't do that.  Unbelievable that some of you fall for this BS.  Every . Single.  Summer....

There have been tweets about all of these players, save perhaps, Hall.  But, I'm not sure there's much to say re: a running back in non-hitting situations.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

And I’ll say you’re over the top on two drafts and are ignoring this draft along with free agency to make a case that he “won’t draft again”. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

A couple of things here.

Agree with point 1. Point 2 I'd say the offense may need some more time to gel with all the new pieces but yes, I'd like to see an efficient zach in that period of time as well.

I'd also add in taking each practice rep that's negative as ironclad proof he stinks in JUNE is silly as well.

13 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Yeah, but you are calling it after two freakin days of minicamp and that is beyond ridiculous.  

I'm not calling it. I'm just reacting in real time to feedback that we're getting. I would have been hopeful that he'd look night and day from last year, and so far that doesn't seem to be the case.

My gut instinct and outlook on Zach Wilson has been heavily influenced by his 2021 in season performance, not by his 2022 OTAs. If I seem negative about him it's because he was really, really bad last year and in order to be good he's going to have to make a massive improvement. I want to hear that while playing in shells and shorts he looks like he's made a massive improvement. I don't think that's unreasonable.

• Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Precisely. Colts are a great example. They've built a quality roster and are a "good team" even though they can't figure out QB. Give those guys time -- QB is more of a crap shoot than most positions.

Lets completely discount that they have a top NFL quality NFL HC.

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

How a I discounting that in any way? No idea what you mean by this comment. Clearly Robert Saleh is part of the calculus in if things are moving in the right direction.

The Colts have done a great job of developing young players who have had huge impacts as rookies.  That has a ton to do with the coaching staff.   They have built a competent roster through more than drafting.  It's player development and coaching.