We just upgraded

We just upgraded two of the most important positions via injury, and the board is acting like the season is dead.

I wanted Mekhi and Zach to succeed. Even though I didn’t agree with the Zach pick, I wanted him to prove me wrong and throw TDs in Jans and Febs for the next 10 years. Maybe he still will.

What I do know though, is that as of right now, both of them were liabilities more than they were assets. IMO JD has done a very good job with most of the rest of the roster. We have a team that can compete, and frankly I felt that Mekhi and Zach might have been holding us back.

We now have a pro-bowler to play alongside AVT to help the run game and stabilize pass pro over a guy who we consistently would have wondered about giving effort or getting hurt or just living up to his hype.

At QB, to be clear, I don’t think Flacco is anything great. However, I do believe he’ll bring stability and experience which will really help the development of the rest of the guys on O, and I think he’ll make fewer mistakes which will help the D. The net will be an overall positive for the team. And the extended time off watching and learning from a SB MVP from the sidelines might be just what Zach needs in terms of development to take the next step.

I think everyone needs to take a deep breath and let the season play out, and enjoy the ride. When was the last time we got to say that we have a legitimately talented roster with a probowl LT and a SB MVP QB? 

• Upvote 10
  • Thumb Down 15
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 8

Before Zach got hurt he looked very much like 2021 Zach, but it was a small sample size and just preaseason of course. 

I have my worries Zach could bust out, but i also dont think Flacco is that good either. Therefore, and I think I have said it before, if Zach does truly bust out or turn out to be injury prone we are kinda ****ed. 

This is why, Jimmy G, or a Minshew may make sense. A gap guy, maybe we draft a QB next year outside the top 10, like a Kenny Picket type. I dont know folks..

Its just depressing all around. 

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

When was the last time we got to say that we have a legitimately talented roster with a probowl LT and a SB MVP QB? 

2008:

Super Bowl MVP QB: Brett Favre (füçk Desmond Howard, I saw that game back in 1996)

Pro Bowl LT: D’Brickshaw Ferguson

Jets ended up 9-7 and out of playoffs. HC was fired. 

but I do agree with the premise of your post that Flacco will probably run this offense better and expedite the development of the young WR, TE, and RB Corp. Also being able to create drives and avoid TOs which, under the Saleh regime, has CONSTANTLY had the defense in tough positions defending a smaller field and gassed by the 3rd qtr. after the O’s 3 and outs. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

If you want a quality vet you go get one before disaster strikes.  Flacco stinks and does not win at all.

The love on this site for Flacco is truly bizarre.

If you are going to go the draft a young QB route you have to take your lumps with suspect play for a few years.

If you are not prepared as a team to do that you never draft a young QB high you just add vet QBs and build the rest of the team.

As for Becton, the guy is a total bust and all you can hope for is that he surprises next year if he is here but you do not factor him in as a starting player at all.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, DLJ said:

Idiot.

george GIF

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The thing about low-floor/high-ceiling players is that the far majority of those guys stay on the floor.

I trust my smooth-brained reliance on actual performance to evaluate players.

Hot Shots Idiot GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

We just upgraded two of the most important positions via injury, and the board is acting like the season is dead.

I wanted Mekhi and Zach to succeed. Even though I didn’t agree with the Zach pick, I wanted him to prove me wrong and throw TDs in Jans and Febs for the next 10 years. Maybe he still will.

What I do know though, is that as of right now, both of them were liabilities more than they were assets. IMO JD has done a very good job with most of the rest of the roster. We have a team that can compete, and frankly I felt that Mekhi and Zach might have been holding us back.

We now have a pro-bowler to play alongside AVT to help the run game and stabilize pass pro over a guy who we consistently would have wondered about giving effort or getting hurt or just living up to his hype.

At QB, to be clear, I don’t think Flacco is anything great. However, I do believe he’ll bring stability and experience which will really help the development of the rest of the guys on O, and I think he’ll make fewer mistakes which will help the D. The net will be an overall positive for the team. And the extended time off watching and learning from a SB MVP from the sidelines might be just what Zach needs in terms of development to take the next step.

I think everyone needs to take a deep breath and let the season play out, and enjoy the ride. When was the last time we got to say that we have a legitimately talented roster with a probowl LT and a SB MVP QB? 

The biggest travesty of last night is likely that we don’t get a definitive answer on Wilson this season.  For those of us who thought, “probably not,” it’s worst case scenario to go into year 3 not knowing what to do at QB.

Ultimately, if he’s out most to all of this year, you have to hope for the Rivers/Brees situation.

• Upvote 2

I have to, begrudgingly, agree completely with the OP.

I think Zach has a ton of potential but he looked as skittish and jittery as ever to open the game last night.  1st pass 10 yards of Garret's head?  3rd pass right into the gut of a defender after staring down the receiver?  Seriously, WTF?  

I really don't see how Flacco could be any worse and would almost certainly be better.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Yeah.  Those 5 passes in a preseason game in August told us all we need to know about 2022 Zach Wilson. Unbelievable.  

At least this place is consistently nuts now. It used to be a more mixed bag and more unpredictable. It’s easier to plan for now :) 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Yeah.  Those 5 passes in a preseason game in August told us all we need to know about 2022 Zach Wilson. Unbelievable.  

I pointed out it was a small sample size but is it good one of them was a bad INT?

Or that he got hurt again, just like last year?

None of this makes you nervous? Still basing your views off camp throws in shorts?

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

The biggest travesty of last night is likely that we don’t get a definitive answer on Wilson this season.  For those of us who thought, “probably not,” it’s worst case scenario to go into year 3 not knowing what to do at QB.

Ultimately, if he’s out most to all of this year, you have to hope for the Rivers/Brees situation.

Well maybe not. If he’s only out for a month, give or take a couple weeks, that’ll be plenty enough of a season remaining to make a judgment.

Also everyone will get to see how he performs in comparison to a QB whose best days are years behind him, since Flacco is likely to get at least some action.

That is, unless Wilson is somehow ready for week 1 (in which case the problem you outlined isn’t a problem in the first place). 

2 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

I pointed out it was a small sample size but is it good one of them was a bad INT?

None of this makes you nervous? Still basing your views off camp throws in shorts?

The only thing I am worried about is his knee.  Period.  I'm not saying he's the real deal. He needs to play another 1-2 years to make that evaluation. I'm saying him throwing a pick and misfiring on a short out in a preseason game on August 12 mean absolutely nothing about his development.  

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Do you realize Mike White still looks like he has a better feel for the game than Zach. I didn't  see White locking onto receivers or making stupid decisions. Zach is by far the more gifted of the two physically  but White looks like he has control of what is going on around him. In that short sample, I saw nothing that gave me confidence. Even the completion to Moore, he locked onto him. That play was 100% Moore who made a great cut to free himself.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

The only thing I am worried about is his knee.  Period.  I'm not saying he's the real deal. He needs to play another 1-2 years to make that evaluation. I'm saying him throwing a pick and misfiring on a short out in a preseason game on August 12 mean absolutely nothing about his development.  

Ok fair point on the small sample of play, like i originally noted

But I share your concern on the knee. As we learned with Becton, durability matters in this league. He cant be out 5-6 games each year either. We will see.

MRI is going to be big

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

If indeed he’s out for the season this is the worst case. However, the Jets will have absolutely no choice but to (at a minimum) bring in a solid vet and host a real camp competition if that is indeed the case.

8 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

You know - you actually hit on the biggest concern people should have over Wilson after last night:

The BEST CASE scenario is that he’s had two PCL injuries in his right knee in his first two seasons as an NFL QB. Not exactly a great way to start a career.

• Upvote 1

Let’s use our words please. Who is the idiot? JD for drafting Zach? Zach for getting hurt? Me for making this post? Or are you just mad at yourself and using this thread to vent?

You don’t deserve my words.

If you want a quality vet you go get one before disaster strikes.  Flacco stinks and does not win at all.
The love on this site for Flacco is truly bizarre.
If you are going to go the draft a young QB route you have to take your lumps with suspect play for a few years.
If you are not prepared as a team to do that you never draft a young QB high you just add vet QBs and build the rest of the team.
As for Becton, the guy is a total bust and all you can hope for is that he surprises next year if he is here but you do not factor him in as a starting player at all.
Joseph Flaccoris is 1000x the QB Jimmy G is.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1