The Metlife Turf claims 2 more

bitonti

23 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Investments are a risk in any sport or business . I'm sure if the owner's felt the playing conditions were jeopardizing their ROI they'd make a change. I still haven't met a single human being who likes losing money. 

While us fans have to watch the team drop like flies with injury, I’m glad Woody and Chris save a buck on turf. Hang the banner! Would suck to have grass like the Packers and Chiefs to make sure the team doesn’t have a higher risk of sucking, which is already very high under their ownership. Thank you Woody and Chris! 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Chicago just put in brand-new Bermuda grass, that's all I was hearing during the pre-games. If Chicago can maintain grass in the dead of winter, so can the Jets and Giants. They will have to lay real grass for the World Cup, so they may want to think about changing it out after this season.

The most likely reason for not going to real grass is they want to use the stadium for concerts. Since only 16 to 17 NFL games are played there every year. They have to make money somewhere for the investment.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, WILLY said:

You are not correct. Many studies have proven otherwise. 28% + higher injury rate for field turf! For example:

"The data supports the anecdotes you’ll hear from me and other players: artificial turf is significantly harder on the body than grass. Based on NFL injury data collected from 2012 to 2018, not only was the contact injury rate for lower extremities higher during practices and games held on artificial turf, NFL players consistently experienced a much higher rate of non-contact lower extremity injuries on turf compared to natural surfaces. Specifically, players have a 28% higher rate of non-contact lower extremity injuries when playing on artificial turf. Of those non-contact injuries, players have a 32% higher rate of non-contact knee injuries on turf and a staggering 69% higher rate of non-contact foot/ankle injuries on turf compared to grass."

Link to article with data

I think that relates to my actual point.  Turf is faster.  Faster means harder and harder equals more injuries.  I practiced and even played a bunch of games in the Vigorelli which is a famous velodrome.  The infield is literally concrete with a thin sheet of artificial turf over it.  Wasn't too crazy for me because I grew up playing on concrete and schoolyards, but it was brutal.  It's been over ten years and I think my big toes are just now losing the black and blue.

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

Yeesh. That’s no bueno 

If you re-read his post, that didn't necessarily take into account the fact that two teams play their games there.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

We should all be happy that the Johnsons and Maras get that sweet Taylor Swift concert money. 

Why should that matter to us at all . We want to see the Jets win , the owners making money has nothing to do with the teams performance. Would you rather have Jerry Jones making personnel decisions while also making Taylor Swift concert money . 

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

I don’t get it why teams spending millions of dollars for players are using surfaces to play on that are hard, hot and conducive to injury. You’d think the Players Association would be more directly involved. Why not just regular grass surfaces. 

NFLPA is the worst in sports. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Why should that matter to us at all . We want to see the Jets win , the owners making money has nothing to do with the teams performance. Would you rather have Jerry Jones making personnel decisions while also making Taylor Swift concert money . 

The MetLife turf has been a point of contention for a while. It being an outside revenue stream for a couple of billionaires isn’t an excuse to not get it fixed if you’re a fan of the football team.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Goes back to the Johnson’s(and Mara’s for that matter) Penny pinching ways….Natural grass is more costly to maintain…

Remember when the Niners play us a few years ago and dropped like flies….notably Bosa’s Season ending injury….the Niners had the league investigate and nothing came of it

So the ownership of both franchises have no incentive to change the field….player health and safety be damned ?

Meh, I remember they spent a bunch converting from astroturf to grass at Giants Stadium, followed by a crazy amount on that tray system because grass was a disaster with 2 teams using it. The tray system sucked, too, and iirc was scrapped before too long. 

So this is interesting, and not being any type of soccer fan I had no idea, but they do sometimes put grass down at MetLife Stadium, by some company called Kingston Turf:

https://www.kingstonturf.com/portfolio-item/metlife-stadium-athletic-field_4/

MetLife Stadium – New Jersey

We have been installing sod over the artificial surface at both the Meadowlands Stadium and the new Metlife Stadium for many years. We bring in a crew to truck the specialty sod in, transport the sod to the field, and install the sod over a specialized turf protection layer. We possess the equipment to transform an artificial playing surface to a natural grass surface in a 24 hr. period. The stadium uses the natural grass surface for soccer games or other sports as needed. We then bring our crew back to remove the sod to be re-purposed to another site or brought to a composting facility. We have done this same process at Ohio State University.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The MetLife turf has been a point of contention for a while. It being an outside revenue stream for a couple of billionaires isn’t an excuse to not get it fixed if you’re a fan of the football team.

Get it fixed how , give players bionic limbs. Football is a contact sport , these are massive human beings running at ungodly speeds running into each other . Injuries will happen I don't care if they're playing on a marshmallow puff.  This is not  an issue about $ 

44 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Meh, I remember they spent a bunch converting from astroturf to grass at Giants Stadium, followed by a crazy amount on that tray system because grass was a disaster with 2 teams using it. The tray system sucked, too, and iirc was scrapped before too long. 

So this is interesting, and not being any type of soccer fan I had no idea, but they do sometimes put grass down at MetLife Stadium, by some company called Kingston Turf:

https://www.kingstonturf.com/portfolio-item/metlife-stadium-athletic-field_4/

MetLife Stadium – New Jersey

We have been installing sod over the artificial surface at both the Meadowlands Stadium and the new Metlife Stadium for many years. We bring in a crew to truck the specialty sod in, transport the sod to the field, and install the sod over a specialized turf protection layer. We possess the equipment to transform an artificial playing surface to a natural grass surface in a 24 hr. period. The stadium uses the natural grass surface for soccer games or other sports as needed. We then bring our crew back to remove the sod to be re-purposed to another site or brought to a composting facility. We have done this same process at Ohio State University.

I can see the turf getting more activity since there are 2 teams playing on it every week. I remember the tray system they installed. Maybe they should just install real grass instead of the trays, but it makes sense that it will be used every week by either the Jets or Giants and will get torn up pretty good. I still believe they to use the Stadium for other events. Sod does take a long time to adhere.

Do the bands pay to replace the turf? I remember Pearl Jam playing Wrigley field and Fenway park a few years back during the baseball season. The Foo Fighters played CitiField also during the baseball season. I understand Baseball is less aggressive to the surface then football would be.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

whatever they are looking for, it's not something that a surface level inspection would pick up

it's not like the turf itself is bad 

i'm thinking something with the grading, the angle of the subsurface.  There's no way all these injuries are coincidental

I work in the surveying/ engineering/layout/asbuilt etc. aspect of the construction business and have worked on athletic fields. Very highly doubt it's a grading/slope error.

• Upvote 3

So do we bring this up during the next mud bowl when people are freaking out about how sh*tty that grass field is and all the guys falling all over because the sod sucks and they just played a high school game there friday night, then college game saturday, then 2 soccer games a lacrosse game during the week maybe, and then the NFL played on it too?  "Well Manicured" grass fields are green painted dirt by November unless they truck in sod between the hashmarks and usually it just gives terrible footing.  I'm not sure why we have to have this discussion yearly.  Field turf is wildly easier to maintain and cost effective and looks better on Sunday on TV.  Period.

• Upvote 2

Where are the comparison injury statistics between grass and turf fields? Do those stats show a higher risk on turf?  Evidence other than the eyeball test, which we have here  needs to be provided. There have been some horrendous injuries on grass. 

Sad thing is, even if there is added risk, there is  no way it ever reverts to grass. In the off season flooring is used over the turf for weeks and weeks on end for concerts, monster truck shows, etc. You cant cover grass with flooring for such lengths of time without it dying. 2 days would seriously damage it. Aint happening IMO. Grass would eliminate too many profitable off-season events.   But in any event  I'm  not so sure that the turf makes a huge difference in risk. Not without data rather than conjecture.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Green Truth said:

I can see the turf getting more activity since there are 2 teams playing on it every week. I remember the tray system they installed. Maybe they should just install real grass instead of the trays, but it makes sense that it will be used every week by either the Jets or Giants and will get torn up pretty good. I still believe they to use the Stadium for other events. Sod does take a long time to adhere.

Do the bands pay to replace the turf? I remember Pearl Jam playing Wrigley field and Fenway park a few years back during the baseball season. The Foo Fighters played CitiField also during the baseball season. I understand Baseball is less aggressive to the surface then football would be.

Yeah I'm sure that was the reason behind the trays. If just one team played there it's unlikely they'd have tried it. The idea seemed like a clever one: some sections get chewed up more than others, so like carpet tile you just lift up that one square & put down a new one. It was great except for the problem that it didn't work. Chunks would come out on a play here or there; I can only guess from a shallower root system, especially at the seams where more of those roots would've naturally been cut instead of woven together more under the surface.

Before that they did have just a regular grass field in place of the old, hard Astroturf at Giants Stadium that probably ended & shortened more careers than we'll ever fully know, and they added that at significant expense before trashing it after just a year or two in favor of trying the tiles which was surely even more expensive. But two teams sharing the same grass field meant it was played on every single week for 4 months straight, and also wasn't a great solution either, which is why they tried other things. 

Before that they tried a 7-figure, newer, supposedly superior version of the astroturf field in '97 and it rotted or something, so I think that had to be ripped up, too, after just 1 season. Then a new artificial surface, then they went back to grass in '00. They've clearly been spending on it.

So I do give them points for trying. I think that, especially with 2 teams sharing the stadium, there isn't any great solution as simple as "just go with natural grass." A chewed up field with pits, that gets muddy easily sucks -- unless it's in a football movie like The Best of Times (which still mostly holds up, if you haven't seen it in a long time). 

Fun fact:

Curtis Martin was one of those rare few players who was openly against replacing the Astroturf with natural grass in Giants Stadium. Even knowing trying to recover his fumble indirectly led to Testaverde being lost for the season in game 1 when we were among the top 2-3 preseason super bowl favorites, on that hard, sh***y, plasticky, poly-nylon blend of trailer-trash patio / roof turf-carpet -- even that still didn't change his mind. I think the prior season when Marvin Jones went out for the season it was on Hofstra's astroturf-type surface, too. Not to mention Sehorn, Sparks, and however many others before them. #teamplayer #unselfish

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Probably a combo of the turf, and these athletes being on lots of PED's and pushing the human body to limits the tendons and ligaments can't handle. The muscle mass and strength is enhanced significantly, but you can't enhance the joints and ligaments and tendons so they are supporting a lot more force then ever before, physics

Psychics have nothing to do with field turf injuries. They can’t predict the injuries ahead of time, otherwise all teams would have Miss Cleo on their medical staff. Dumb post.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1