The Metlife Turf claims 2 more

bitonti

I’m going to say it’s steroids. When was the last time you’ve seen a non athlete just pop their acl jogging? I chase/play with my kids on grass, concrete, turf, dirt, whatever. I see people pounding cement on long runs. Regular people don't pop their acl so easily even though we aren't in as good a shape and we try and bust a move every now and then to relive our youth. These dudes are juicing.

• WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Although the league has determined that there is nothing wrong with the turf they must be missing something as it seems there is an inordinate amount of knee injuries on this field. I Truly think there is something up with the turf. Can’t be that it is all rotten luck can it? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CSNY said:

Although the league has determined that there is nothing wrong with the turf they must be missing something as it seems there is an inordinate amount of knee injuries on this field. I Truly think there is something up with the turf. Can’t be that it is all rotten luck can it? 

How do you know it’s inordinate? There are dozens of knee injuries every week on all fields… there are over 100 injured players at any given time and most didn’t play at MetLife.

6 minutes ago, ECURB said:

How do you know it’s inordinate? There are dozens of knee injuries every week on all fields… there are over 100 injured players at any given time and most didn’t play at MetLife.

I don't think it's a Metlife issue specifically but I'm pretty sure non-contact injuries are far more common on artificial turf.

I think it was a huge reason why European soccer teams never went in that direction and those that did had some issues. I'd have to check the stats to be sure though. 

Grass is the preferred option of the NFLPA and the only reason I can think why they wouldn't switch is it's more expensive to maintain. 

6 hours ago, GreenFish said:

I’m going to say it’s steroids. When was the last time you’ve seen a non athlete just pop their acl jogging? I chase/play with my kids on grass, concrete, turf, dirt, whatever. I see people pounding cement on long runs. Regular people don't pop their acl so easily even though we aren't in as good a shape and we try and bust a move every now and then to relive our youth. These dudes are juicing.

Certainly a contributing factor, especially with chronic use, yet nowadays it’s usually paired with HGH when being done by someone who knows what they are doing. That’s going to somewhat mute the overall negative effect that the steroids have on the soft tissue long term.  I’d also add repetitive stress trauma, genetic disposition and good old fashion bad luck. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

https://nflpa.com/posts/only-natural-grass-can-level-the-nfls-playing-field#:~:text=Specifically%2C players have a 28,on turf compared to grass.

The data supports the anecdotes you’ll hear from me and other players: artificial turf is significantly harder on the body than grass. Based on NFL injury data collected from 2012 to 2018, not only was the contact injury rate for lower extremities higher during practices and games held on artificial turf, NFL players consistently experienced a much higher rate of non-contact lower extremity injuries on turf compared to natural surfaces. Specifically, players have a 28% higher rate of non-contact lower extremity injuries when playing on artificial turf. Of those non-contact injuries, players have a 32% higher rate of non-contact knee injuries on turf and a staggering 69% higher rate of non-contact foot/ankle injuries on turf compared to grass.

Great post. I was reading this article just the other day. It's mind boggling that we haven't switched to real grass or at the very least a different type of turf given the crazy amount of injuries we've had. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Certainly a contributing factor, especially with chronic use, yet nowadays it’s usually paired with HGH when being done by someone who knows what they are doing. That’s going to somewhat mute the overall negative effect that the steroids have on the soft tissue long term.  I’d also add repetitive stress trauma, genetic disposition and good old fashion bad luck. 

You’re likely right. Just spent some time finding data on the NFL, Rugby league and other sports. The NFL didn't seem like an an outlier. I agree that the repetitive use and contact nature of the sport plays a meaningful role.

Cant really dispute the data Irish Jet just posted either.

I’m on team get rid of the turf now.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

You’re likely right. Just spent some time finding data on the NFL, Rugby league and other sports. The NFL didn't seem like an an outlier. I agree that the repetitive use and contact nature of the sport plays a meaningful role.

Cant really dispute the data Irish Jet just posted either.

I’m on team get rid of the turf now.

I’m on team to just get rid of the Jets now. But, I respect your stance and want you to know that even if we are on different sides we are still in this together. 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Did life have to teach you that lesson the hard way? Lol. ?

You seem to be well versed in what sounds like a serviceable hustle of low-income peddling; good for you on proving society wrong in that you dont need a HS degree to survive in todays modern society. Lol ?

It took you 2 weeks to come up with that response??

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/12/2022 at 4:05 PM, oatmeal said:

The Johnsons and Mara’s want to make that offseason ? using the stadium for concerts and events 

Grass makes this a problem 

Not sure how because i go to huge concerts on grass all the time

Im sure turf is cheaper somehow

i would like to build a tester. 1 cleat fitted with a 4x4, a level and a fixed 50 lb weight on a pendulum. Place my wonderful device on grass and turf from all over. Measure how much movement the cleat goes on all these surfaces. Ill bet the turf moves much less, in other words grips better and thats why ligaments are snapping

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Broncos Empower Field is Kentucky Bluegrass.  Had the Hall/Vera-Tuck/Davis injuries occurred at MetLife, no doubt the blame would be going to Woody for the MetLife turf.

There really should be a study of grass vs artificial surfaces.  

Not meaning to nit-pick, but AVT tore his triceps ... not likely to be related to the playing surface.

And, oddly, many of our bigger injuries happen on the road. Becton got hurt in Carolina, and his second injury was on a training field, Hall was hurt in Denver. It seemed a lot of the time that the MetLife injuries happened to the other team - esp. SF who I think lost Bosa and Garoppolo in the same game against us, maybe even another player too.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

Not sure how because i go to huge concerts on grass all the time

Im sure turf is cheaper somehow

i would like to build a tester. 1 cleat fitted with a 4x4, a level and a fixed 50 lb weight on a pendulum. Place my wonderful device on grass and turf from all over. Measure how much movement the cleat goes on all these surfaces. Ill bet the turf moves much less, in other words grips better and thats why ligaments are snapping

Turf is cheaper, once it's down, it's down.  You don't have to water, fertilize, less staff, doesn't get torn up. 

Also, a lot of teams play in domes (hard to do grass) or play in very hot areas, harder to do grass.

1 minute ago, chirorob said:

Turf is cheaper, once it's down, it's down.  You don't have to water, fertilize, less staff, doesn't get torn up. 

Also, a lot of teams play in domes (hard to do grass) or play in very hot areas, harder to do grass.

this is true but also they've made insane advancements in grass fields

most of the Premier league (and certain places like Lincoln Financial) have a hybrid surface where it's mostly sod but they sew artificial fibers through and over the grass so it tears less

it's certainly more expensive, but it's possible 

• Upvote 3

On 9/28/2022 at 12:16 AM, GreenFish said:

Probably an element of truth to that…while you can increase muscle mass, you cannot increase Ligament and tendon to a corresponding size to handle the increased force/tension generated by the increased muscle mass. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/12/2022 at 3:55 PM, batman10023 said:

"I don't know dick about field engineering"

but I am still going to give you my opinion on the topic......  At least this time it seems you have spread out the blame from just Woody to both owners.  

So, I guess there is nothing to see here, since your deriding opinion suggests otherwise?

2 hours ago, jamesr said:

Not meaning to nit-pick, but AVT tore his triceps ... not likely to be related to the playing surface.

And, oddly, many of our bigger injuries happen on the road. Becton got hurt in Carolina, and his second injury was on a training field, Hall was hurt in Denver. It seemed a lot of the time that the MetLife injuries happened to the other team - esp. SF who I think lost Bosa and Garoppolo in the same game against us, maybe even another player too.

It is still Woody's fault. If there was grass, AVT would have slipped and been on the ground. Instead of tearing his triceps.

:)

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

this is true but also they've made insane advancements in grass fields

most of the Premier league (and certain places like Lincoln Financial) have a hybrid surface where it's mostly sod but they sew artificial fibers through and over the grass so it tears less

it's certainly more expensive, but it's possible 

I didn't know that, it is pretty cool.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Dcat said:

There really should be a study of grass vs artificial surfaces.  

I am quite sure studies have been performed but don’t know what the end result showed. 
Personally I would be very surprised if there is no discernible difference in the amount of knee injuries grass vs. turf 

Plus the fact that there is nothing better than a good old fashioned football game played in the rain. Not a monsoon mind you but a game where all the uniforms are dirty and a good time to place a wager on a heavy underdog as weather is a big equalizer 

While us fans have to watch the team drop like flies with injury, I’m glad Woody and Chris save a buck on turf. Hang the banner! Would suck to have grass like the Packers and Chiefs to make sure the team doesn’t have a higher risk of sucking, which is already very high under their ownership. Thank you Woody and Chris! 
Well ... It would mess up their pretty uniforms that they worked so hard on.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

FIFA World Cup coming the MetLife in 2026, so there is going to be a change to some kind of grass. Recall in 1994 they used a very crude grass tray susytem that stayed in Giants Stadium for a few years but it simply didn't hold up over a season of 16 NFL games.