Week 4 @Pittsburgh

6 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

If Wilson plays, the Steelers D has a decent chance of scoring

Their offense won’t have to do very much to win the game

Pitts offense is worse than the Jets.  And you can't predict defensive scoring.  It's  going to be a long season for the Steelers. Look at who they have to play in relation to where they're at.  This is a team on the decline. 

This is the first week I would even consider betting the Jets.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I was not a huge fan of Rex at the end of his run, but you give the same defensive talent to Rex and we are a Top 10 defense. Reed and Sauce are completely capable of being man up press corners 70% of the time. Do we like EVER run man under 2 deep? Like ever? Do we ever stunt and rush 5? 

Rushing 4 only works when you have 1 or more elite players like a Watt Bosa type on the DL. We do not have that so it is insanely simple to neutralize our rush. 

I HATE our defensive concept. I want to slap Saleh when he says Cover 3 has won super bowls, look at Seattle, blah blah blah. Did he forget the legion of boom the elite corners including Sherman that played man 80% of the time and took out one side of the ball.

There is one word to describe our coaches: STUBBORN

To be fair though yesterday they had Quinnen Williams losing his f*****g mind on the sideline because he wanted a 4 man rush. It would be nice if those guys on that expensive D-line walked the walk for once

I dont disagree on your points though, the system is jacked up. If they are going to play to the sticks thats fine, I dont love it, but get a centerfielder type safety that can do that.

It's been 2 years straight of mental and physical breakdowns in the back end of the secondary, including 2 of them yesterday for easy touchdowns. 

I feel like another loss is coming and we're going to lose against Trubisky ?. McDermott starting LT. Our left side of the OL has been terrible and this will rattle Zach Wilson making him panic into throwing INTs. Hope he doesn't get hurt if he gets the nod to start

1 minute ago, Sonny Werblin said:

The O line and D line both have to get their sh*t together or its going to be a long day at Acresure? Field this week.

The inability to generate pressure against Cinci was disturbing. Mitch Trubisky lighting us up is in my nightmares this week.

At least with Zach we'll have some ability to escape a pass rush back there.

• Upvote 1

Wilson has been statistically poor in pretty much every situation.

But albeit in a small sample size, he's been much more successful passing out of college-style RPOs.

78% of Wilson's completions out of RPOs have gone for 1st downs, as opposed to 28% for non-RPO.

Wilson is at his worst when trying to be a conventional dropback passer.  He's been abysmal under center and throwing out of play action, which was one of the reasons often cited as to why he'd be the "perfect fit" for this Shanahan style scheme.

He's also, notably, been drastically worse when given a lot of time (more than 2,5s) in the pocket. 

The "why" parts for some of these things are open to interpretation.  But this is what the data says.

image.png.6e091ff7e924d84088a6efb00ec1639a.png

Pittsburgh has an OL that is as bad as Cincy and a QB who is 1/10th as good a Burrow.  This is another opportunity to have a very simple game plan and get a much needed win, will we do that, who knows.

Pittsburg has some decent offensive weapons but Trubisky cannot get the ball down the field so we should be able to focus on stopping the run and keeping plays in front of us. 

On offense Pitts just got shredded by Cleveland in the running game so this is a prime opportunity to focus on the run, get Breece going and ease Zach back into action. 

If Fant cant play, then the team should play Grant Hermans instead of McDermott.  Hermans played 3 seasons in college as a LT so from a footwork/technique standpoint he is familiar with the position.  Pittsburgh's pass rush is led by Alex Highsmith who is a true 3-4 OLB at 240lbs, a big difference from Myles Garret and Hendrickson so Hermans wont have to deal with strength, he can focus on Highsmith's speed rush.  He is also a better run blocker then pass protector, and we need to be able to run on sunday so his skill set is a better match then McDermott.  

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Pittsburgh has an OL that is as bad as Cincy and a QB who is 1/10th as good a Burrow.  This is another opportunity to have a very simple game plan and get a much needed win, will we do that, who knows.

Pittsburg has some decent offensive weapons but Trubisky cannot get the ball down the field so we should be able to focus on stopping the run and keeping plays in front of us. 

On offense Pitts just got shredded by Cleveland in the running game so this is a prime opportunity to focus on the run, get Breece going and ease Zach back into action. 

If Fant cant play, then the team should play Grant Hermans instead of McDermott.  Hermans played 3 seasons in college as a LT so from a footwork/technique standpoint he is familiar with the position.  Pittsburgh's pass rush is led by Alex Highsmith who is a true 3-4 OLB at 240lbs, a big difference from Myles Garret and Hendrickson so Hermans wont have to deal with strength, he can focus on Highsmith's speed rush.  He is also a better run blocker then pass protector, and we need to be able to run on sunday so his skill set is a better match then McDermott.  

Trubisky DFS stacks all day.

Trubisky/Johnsons

Trubisky/Claypool

Trubisky/Freiermuth

Trubisky/Pickens

Trubisky/Harris

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Trubisky DFS stacks all day.

Trubisky/Johnsons

Trubisky/Claypool

Trubisky/Freiermuth

Trubisky/Pickens

Trubisky/Harris

Let’s say Gardner takes away one of those combos.

who is stopping the others?

yes trubitsky stinks but even he can connect with the talent they have at wr and te.

fryermuth could go 12/150 and 2 td,s against this defense

Pitt should not be able to score on us like the last 3 teams have.  The qb isnt explosive enough.  Which means we should be able to stay with the running game for 4 quarters.

Id start Zach and run the ball 75% of the time.  Grind out a win here and lets be 2-2 going into the miami game.  

Then hopefully we will have duane brown back to solidify the LT spot.

Its not over yet jet fans.  This is a huge week for this regime.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I dunno. He’s got experience at Pittsburgh. Wilson coming back after such a long absence and not playing preseason would be @4.5 I’d guess. 

Joe Namath has a lot of experience, too. 

I think we need a QB who can move as long as Fant and Brown or  either out or playing hurt. 

10 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Trubisky is capable of lighting up this defense, but a guy making his first career start is always destined to light up the Jets, so I'll take this. 

Yes he is. 
with those receivers and he can throw a deep ball although not too accurate - if he is at 30% - 2 or 3 could be for long scores.

who do the jets have to cover freurmuth?

6 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Pitt should not be able to score on us like the last 3 teams have.  The qb isnt explosive enough.  Which means we should be able to stay with the running game for 4 quarters.

Id start Zach and run the ball 75% of the time.  Grind out a win here and lets be 2-2 going into the miami game.  

Then hopefully we will have duane brown back to solidify the LT spot.

Its not over yet jet fans.  This is a huge week for this regime.

You do realize this regime you speak of has literally done the exact opposite of what they should every game  this season right?  They will 100% do the wrong thing and Pittsburgh will have a very solid week. You  are hysterical, first Flaccid this flaccid that, then Zach will improve the team and then we should run 75% of the time with Zach. Haha, haha, haha, 

23 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Hell yeah, Jets week!

-Steeler Nation 

When looking through the Jets' schedule for "potential wins", I always think that fans of the other team (no matter how bad that team is) almost certainly pencil us as a win (for them).

• Sympathy 1

23 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Wilson has been statistically poor in pretty much every situation.

But albeit in a small sample size, he's been much more successful passing out of college-style RPOs.

78% of Wilson's completions out of RPOs have gone for 1st downs, as opposed to 28% for non-RPO.

Wilson is at his worst when trying to be a conventional dropback passer.  He's been abysmal under center and throwing out of play action, which was one of the reasons often cited as to why he'd be the "perfect fit" for this Shanahan style scheme.

He's also, notably, been drastically worse when given a lot of time (more than 2,5s) in the pocket. 

The "why" parts for some of these things are open to interpretation.  But this is what the data says.

image.png.6e091ff7e924d84088a6efb00ec1639a.png

how is it possible to be worse with more time in the pocket versus less???  

your point on RPO non RPO is kind of useless given the number of attempts in rpo

20 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

When looking through the Jets' schedule for "potential wins", I always think that fans of the other team (no matter how bad that team is) almost certainly pencil us as a win (for them).

Historically at least for the past 10 years or so they would not be far off.

Let’s just play it out and say they upset Pitt. They then have miami, gb and Denver.

do they realistically win one if those?