Strength of Schedule for Mike White in Western Kentucky

Wilson and White both come from small football programs so I was curious to see what Western Kentucky  strength of schedule was in 2018, the year White was drafted in the 5th by Dallas. It was 75. I am pretty sure BYU had the 67th most difficult schedule in Wilson's last season at BYU. 

When Zach was drafted, I was not on board mostly because he played such a weak schedule but it seems Mike White has been able to put together the pieces of his skill set that Zach just can't find. The thing is, Mike White was not a high first round pick but he kind of plays like one at times. I think it is things like this that make selecting a QB such a crap shoot. Obviously the level of competition  Zach faced was a factor in his success that one year at BYU and probably inflated his numbers where Mike White who doesn't  have the arm talent still had enough of a resume to get selected in the middle of the draft. 

The Jets most likely will be selecting another QB. Story's like Mike White playing in a SB are far and few. I just hope JD is looking at this stuff when trying to figure out who to take. 

If anyone is interested 2018 college strength  of schedule 

https://tinyurl.com/y8kwftjv

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, usanyj said:

I think this team is too far along in progression to select another rookie qb... If it ain't Zach or Mike White, then next year it will likely be a vet that gives the jets the best chance to take a next step, likely a Jimmy G or Derek Carr...They could select a late round player to develop, but no way can you role with an inexperienced rookie.

We are ahead of schedule, who knows what this year ends up bringing, but next year is championship aspirations time.

I don't  think we go the QB route unless someone the Jets like falls to them. What I think happens is that QB won't  start. Mike White is going to be the starter next season. I'm pretty confident he will get the remaining season and will preform good enough to keep Zach on the bench. I do thinknthere will be a QB prospect available late regardless. This is a deep QB draft. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't  think we go the QB route unless someone the Jets like falls to them. What I think happens is that QB won't  start. Mike White is going to be the starter next season. I'm pretty confident he will get the remaining season and will preform good enough to keep Zach on the bench. I do thinknthere will be a QB prospect available late regardless. This is a deep QB draft. 

I guess it all depends how White looks but the question for JD would be, does he feel comfortable rolling with White for next season when that Super Bowl window opens.

6 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Allen could have played for Central FL and still be a high draft pick. The guy is a freak amongst freaks. 

That is true, but at the time when he was having issues throwing for 50% at wyoming, people were saying he was a glorified running back. Josh Allen and what he has become is a crazy outlier.

59 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Wilson and White both come from small football programs so I was curious to see what Western Kentucky  strength of schedule was in 2018, the year White was drafted in the 5th by Dallas. It was 75. I am pretty sure BYU had the 67th most difficult schedule in Wilson's last season at BYU. 

When Zach was drafted, I was not on board mostly because he played such a weak schedule but it seems Mike White has been able to put together the pieces of his skill set that Zach just can't find. The thing is, Mike White was not a high first round pick but he kind of plays like one at times. I think it is things like this that make selecting a QB such a crap shoot. Obviously the level of competition  Zach faced was a factor in his success that one year at BYU and probably inflated his numbers where Mike White who doesn't  have the arm talent still had enough of a resume to get selected in the middle of the draft. 

The Jets most likely will be selecting another QB. Story's like Mike White playing in a SB are far and few. I just hope JD is looking at this stuff when trying to figure out who to take. 

Mike Whites been in the NFL 5 seasons

Zach Wilson 1 1/2. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

The Jets drafting another QB next year be madness. If we do it will be 3rd or 4th rounder trying to hit a diamond in the rough who certainly won't start in 2023. I also caution you we did this in 2020 with a 4th rounder CPT Morgan, who is not even in the league anymore. I rather use a 4th oin a steal like Clemmons personally. 

There are only 3 options for QB in 23 ( from my most likkely to unlikely)

1) The Jets go get Jimmy G or Derek Carr

2) Mike White plays well the remaining 7 and sends up starting in 23

3) Zach Wilson 

We will know alot more after we see more of Mike White. 

8C5ACCBA-2CFE-44F3-8197-45A5D3DCDD2C.jpeg.51c39de095ced976c5f6c3bbafaf37f3.jpeg

• Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

The Jets drafting another QB next year be madness. If we do it will be 3rd or 4th rounder trying to hit a diamond in the rough who certainly won't start in 2023. I also caution you we did this in 2020 with a 4th rounder CPT Morgan, who is not even in the league anymore. I rather use a 4th oin a steal like Clemmons personally. 

There are only 3 options for QB in 23 ( from my most likkely to unlikely)

1) The Jets go get Jimmy G or Derek Carr

2) Mike White plays well the remaining 7 and sends up starting in 23

3) Zach Wilson 

We will know alot more after we see more of Mike White. 

This x100000000

More so than the SOS from his college team, the thing I find interesting about White was how well he does with the process.

Meaning, he didn’t play until his senior year in HS, and even though he played some as a freshman as USF, he didn’t really shine until after he transferred (sat out a year) as an upperclassmen.

He clearly developed as his career went on at every stage.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, NYJCAP2 said:

More so than the SOS from his college team, the thing I find interesting about White was how well he does with the process.

Meaning, he didn’t play until his senior year in HS, and even though he played some as a freshman as USF, he didn’t really shine until after he transferred (sat out a year) as an upperclassmen.

This....

Speaks to his ability to learn, adapt nad improve. Give me that any day over the kid born with a gift arm talent who can't seem to grow, adapt or lead. Mike White is only going to get better. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, NYJCAP2 said:

If anything, this shows the value of developing from the sidelines. 

7 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

This....

Speaks to his ability to learn, adapt nad improve. Give me that any day over the kid born with a gift arm talent who can't seem to grow, adapt or lead. Mike White is only going to get better. 

Yeah, he can only go up from here, there really is no other possibility.  He’ll just keep getting better and better and better until he explodes. 

The benefit to having a lack of game film is that NFL defenses don’t have a record of playing tendencies on tape. Once those get exposed, it takes next-level arm talent, athleticism, or mentality to stay successful in this league.  

The jury is still out on MW because of sample size, but for now, let’s enjoy having a competent signal-caller who can play within a system and let the other players do the heavy lifting.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Mike Whites been in the NFL 5 seasons

Zach Wilson 1 1/2. 

true but White has been a 3rd string (2018), PS (2019-2020), backup (2021), PS and backup (2022).

Zach has been #1 the whole 1 1/2. 

starters get almost all the reps and all the attention from the staff. PS and 3rd string get none. 

Zach has probably got more help and attention from the CS in 1 1/2 than White got in 4 1/2

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, NYJCAP2 said:

This is something that has to be noted. He didn't take football serious until his senior year in HS. I believe he also played his junior year though.

Before then, he was trying to be a MLB pitcher.

He’s bit like Darnold in that sense. Both got a late start because they were multi sport athletes. 

18 minutes ago, doitny said:

true but White has been a 3rd string (2018), PS (2019-2020), backup (2021), PS and backup (2022).

starters get almost all the reps and all the attention from the staff. PS and 3rd string get none. 

Zach has probably got more help and attention from the CS in 1 1/2 than White got in 4 1/2

He’s with a team and in the QB room watching video, practicing some with NFL players and learning how to be a NFL QB and player.  MW has developed from being an afterthought draft pick over the past 5 years, no matter where his standing on the roster was.  Zach hasn’t developed yet, if he ever does.  This MW is a whole different player than the MW in his second season. It’s pretty simple 

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

You are off by a year.  White's senior year was 2017.  He was in the 2018 draft. 

I think the more important piece than strength of schedule is strength of your team relative to the schedule.  BYU was ranked 11th in Zach's senior season.  11-1.  Going up against a 75th ranked schedule means they likley had a mismatch most weeks.  This translated to Zach having clean pockets and open receivers which does not prepare you for the messy pockets and tight windows of the NFL.  White may have played a weak schedule, but at Western Kentucky, he likely did not have the same mismatches that Wilson had at BYU.

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, doitny said:

Yes but tbf that doesn't leave a lot of time to work on some of the intangibles that ZW seems to be missing or having trouble with. 

Theres a lot to be said about having no pressure and being able to put your head down and work and learn without the pressure of having to prepare and perform for a game each week. 

25 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Smh

Jets finally have a guy who has shown he can play at a high level.

And fans are already thinking about the best way to replace him.

I believe in MW, but I’m gonna just enjoy this and take it one game at a time.

QB is one of the few positions in the NFL where its hard for people to look beyond draft postion but again

Cousins 4th round

Prescott 4th round

Wilson 3rd round

Brady 6th round.

2 hours ago, usanyj said:

I think this team is too far along in progression to select another rookie qb... If it ain't Zach or Mike White, then next year it will likely be a vet that gives the jets the best chance to take a next step, likely a Jimmy G or Derek Carr...They could select a late round player to develop, but no way can you role with an inexperienced rookie.

We are ahead of schedule, who knows what this year ends up bringing, but next year is championship aspirations time.

What about Roethlisberger in 2004, 11th pick? It wouldn’t be much of an argument to say the team he took over for in game 2 was rock solid, and that helped him acclimate to the NFL quicker. He wasn’t even supposed to start that year, and Pitt had a journeyman in Maddox starting, who got hurt. (Ugh, bad memories of Doug Brien that year…)

Anyway, I’m not saying this is easily repeatable necessarily, just saying it’s not impossible. Would help the right QB step in for success.

17 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

People should be mindful that Western Kentucky has a wide open offensive passing scheme. It is the Air Raid Offense on steroids and speed. Bailey Zappe went directly from 1800 yds and 15 TDs at Houston Baptist to the records books with 5,967 yds and 62 TDs as a Hilltopper.

I think that is Helton.  I think that White left South Florida when they switched offenses to play under Brohm at Western Kentucky.  Doughty had just blown up.  Then Brohm left for Purdue and Sanford took over.  White had a nice red shirt junior year but rough sledding with a sh*t Oline as a senior and I think they fired Sanford before the end of the year.

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think that is Helton.  I think that White left South Florida when they switched offenses to play under Brohm at Western Kentucky.  Doughty had just blown up.  Then Brohm left for Purdue and Sanford took over.  White had a nice red shirt junior year but rough sledding with a sh*t Oline as a senior and I think they fired Sanford before the end of the year.

But, I'm pretty sure they continue to run the same offense. I watch a lot of North Texas games so I've seen Western Kentucky when they've played UNT. The offense doesn't look like it has changed. 

• Upvote 1