Jump to content

Robert Saleh: Mike White's huge game hasn't altered Jets' QB plan


Larz
 Share

Recommended Posts

Seriously, the jets PR department needs to get this guy under control. He shoots him self in the foot constantly.
 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35133284/robert-saleh-mike-white-huge-game-altered-jets-qb-plan?platform=amp

 

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Mike Whitedelivered one of the best passing days in New York Jets history on Sunday, but it wasn't enough to alter the team's plan at quarterback.

Coach Robert Saleh reiterated Monday that he still hopes to play demoted starter Zach Wilson, setting the stage for a weekly quarterback soap opera as the Jets (7-4) bid to end their 11-year playoff drought.

"It's exactly what I talked about last week in my press conference," Saleh said. "It's a week-to-week deal. The full intent is to get Zach ready to play football again. I'll make that decision when I'm ready. While we're going through this process, it's Mike White's opportunity to take advantage of every last play he gets.

"I'm going to leave it at that. We're going to figure it out as we go."

The Jets called Wilson's benching a "reset," a chance to sharpen his fundamentals as the scout-team quarterback in practice. The 2021 No. 2 overall pick was inactive in Sunday's 31-10 win over the Chicago Bears, watching from the sideline as White -- in his season debut -- passed for 315 yards and three touchdowns on 22-for-28 efficiency.

The home fans chanted his name and teammates sang his praises, but the organization isn't ready to cast aside Wilson -- at least not publicly. Saleh declined to speculate on what it would take for White to secure the position.

"Mike's got an opportunity to stack another great day up this week," Saleh said. "When we feel like Zach is ready to roll, he's going to roll."

The Jets travel to the face the Minnesota Vikings (9-2), who rank 20th in scoring defense and 30th in total yards allowed. With White at quarterback, the Jets enjoyed their most prolific offensive day in years, amassing 466 total yards. White finished with a 149.3 passer rating, the highest by a Jets quarterback since Geno Smith's perfect 158.3 in 2014.

Saleh said White delivered the ball quickly and made subtle movements in the pocket to avoid pressure. He did "a really, really good job," Saleh said.

Players praised White's poise, how he was able to step into a pressure situation without flinching. It had been a full calendar year since his last regular-season appearance. He galvanized a team that was reeling from a last-second loss to the New England Patriots.

"He was a smooth operator," running back Ty Johnson said. "He was just doing Mike White things, you know what I'm saying?"

The Jets might face the Vikings this Sunday with a new look in the backfield.

Running back Michael Carter (low-ankle sprain) is a question mark as the Jets prepare for the game at U.S. Bank Stadium. He left Sunday's game and didn't return; he's considered day-to-day. They lost top back Breece Hall to a season-ending knee injury in Week 7, leaving Johnson, James Robinsonand rookie Zonovan Knight available if Carter can't play.

Robinson, acquired in a recent trade with the Jacksonville Jaguars, was a healthy scratch against the Bears. He was replaced by Knight, who rushed for 69 yards -- the most by a Jets player in his debut since Matt Snell's 82 yards in 1964.

Knight and Johnson rushed for a combined 131 yards, with Johnson scoring on a 32-yard run.
 

 

I can only hope that this is to keep Zach engaged in the process?   It makes very little sense 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Arsis said:

Mike White has a 1 year contract no? If plays well the rest of the year I see no reason why he comes back to play for Saleh who is obviously in love with Wilson.

If Saleh is in love with Wilson he doesn't bench him against the worst over all defense Wilson would have faced all year.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Larz said:

Seriously, the jets PR department needs to get this guy under control. He shoots him self in the foot constantly.
 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35133284/robert-saleh-mike-white-huge-game-altered-jets-qb-plan?platform=amp

 

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Mike Whitedelivered one of the best passing days in New York Jets history on Sunday, but it wasn't enough to alter the team's plan at quarterback.

Coach Robert Saleh reiterated Monday that he still hopes to play demoted starter Zach Wilson, setting the stage for a weekly quarterback soap opera as the Jets (7-4) bid to end their 11-year playoff drought.

"It's exactly what I talked about last week in my press conference," Saleh said. "It's a week-to-week deal. The full intent is to get Zach ready to play football again. I'll make that decision when I'm ready. While we're going through this process, it's Mike White's opportunity to take advantage of every last play he gets.

"I'm going to leave it at that. We're going to figure it out as we go."

The Jets called Wilson's benching a "reset," a chance to sharpen his fundamentals as the scout-team quarterback in practice. The 2021 No. 2 overall pick was inactive in Sunday's 31-10 win over the Chicago Bears, watching from the sideline as White -- in his season debut -- passed for 315 yards and three touchdowns on 22-for-28 efficiency.

The home fans chanted his name and teammates sang his praises, but the organization isn't ready to cast aside Wilson -- at least not publicly. Saleh declined to speculate on what it would take for White to secure the position.

"Mike's got an opportunity to stack another great day up this week," Saleh said. "When we feel like Zach is ready to roll, he's going to roll."

The Jets travel to the face the Minnesota Vikings (9-2), who rank 20th in scoring defense and 30th in total yards allowed. With White at quarterback, the Jets enjoyed their most prolific offensive day in years, amassing 466 total yards. White finished with a 149.3 passer rating, the highest by a Jets quarterback since Geno Smith's perfect 158.3 in 2014.

Saleh said White delivered the ball quickly and made subtle movements in the pocket to avoid pressure. He did "a really, really good job," Saleh said.

Players praised White's poise, how he was able to step into a pressure situation without flinching. It had been a full calendar year since his last regular-season appearance. He galvanized a team that was reeling from a last-second loss to the New England Patriots.

"He was a smooth operator," running back Ty Johnson said. "He was just doing Mike White things, you know what I'm saying?"

The Jets might face the Vikings this Sunday with a new look in the backfield.

Running back Michael Carter (low-ankle sprain) is a question mark as the Jets prepare for the game at U.S. Bank Stadium. He left Sunday's game and didn't return; he's considered day-to-day. They lost top back Breece Hall to a season-ending knee injury in Week 7, leaving Johnson, James Robinsonand rookie Zonovan Knight available if Carter can't play.

Robinson, acquired in a recent trade with the Jacksonville Jaguars, was a healthy scratch against the Bears. He was replaced by Knight, who rushed for 69 yards -- the most by a Jets player in his debut since Matt Snell's 82 yards in 1964.

Knight and Johnson rushed for a combined 131 yards, with Johnson scoring on a 32-yard run.
 

 

I can only hope that this is to keep Zach engaged in the process?   It makes very little sense 

Seriously if the Jets win on Sunday and go to Buffalo and win or at least play a competitve game against the Bills they go back to Zach I would lose my mind and I think the team would riot.

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Seriously calm down guys. He NEEDS to say that. Just like he needed to say benching zach was the furthest thing from his mind and then benched him 3 days later. 

If white continues to have success, zach is not getting back this year.

I’m sick of this sh*t. Zach is terrible and the locker room hates him. Just get behind White in public who is far superior in every way. This dancing on eggshells to placate weak egos and save face on your draft bust is lame.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

So if Mike White throws a late pick to lose 30-24 to the Vikings in Minnesota, starting Zach Wilson and his league-worst statistical profile is back on the table? Or does Mike White have to produce Mahomes numbers every week in order to hold off the league’s worst quarterback?

We're specifically telling the guy who's shown to be the best hope of winning games that he's going to be benched at the very first opportunity so we can persist with our failed project. 

Saleh would be better off saying absolutely nothing than this bullsh*t. He's actively undermining his QB. 

  • Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Biggs said:

If Mike White sucks in the next game or two and Wilson looks good in practice the other 52 players will know it.  

And if the franchise is just trying to jam Zach Wilson down everyones throats because he was taken with the second pick like last year they will also know it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, T0mShane said:

The other 52 already have a large body of evidence telling them who the better QB is. That isn’t going to change in the next two weeks

Chicago is in full tank mode.   Wilson has faced a guantlet of good defensive teams.  If Saleh really was all in for Wilson the one game he doesn't bench him is against get right Chicago. 

We have no idea what Mike White looks like in practice.  Most of the roster has only seen him in limited reps with backups or the scout team.  The body of evidence on Mike White is very small. 

In 2 weeks everyone will get to view tape of Mike White and Zach Wilson against Buffalo.  

There is no doubt the organization hasn't given up on Zach.  That doesn't mean they are going to sacrifice a deep playoff run if Mike White is the real deal.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

So if Mike White throws a late pick to lose 30-24 to the Vikings in Minnesota, starting Zach Wilson and his league-worst statistical profile is back on the table? Or does Mike White have to produce Mahomes numbers every week in order to hold off the league’s worst quarterback?

No.  Where did you get that from what I said?  I said if he plays like he did last week.  Under control, make the plays a NFL QB has to make while being efficient while running the offense.  ALL QBs throw picks.  It’s a given. And who, anyone, anywhere has said the shltty version of Zach will get his job back while White playing well?  If Zach develops and White is playing like we hope he continues to play it’s a great situation for the Jets

Relax, MW isn’t going anywhere from the looks of his play

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Irish Jet said:

We're specifically telling the guy who's shown to be the best hope of winning games that he's going to be benched at the very first opportunity so we can persist with our failed project. 

Saleh would be better off saying absolutely nothing than this bullsh*t. He's actively undermining his QB. 

I will never be convinced that there isn’t some larger deal in place to protect and preserve Zach Wilson’s tender ego. There’s no way a coach compromises himself or his program like this for a player who is so unquestionably terrible—in all facets—otherwise.

  • Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, undertow said:

And if the franchise is just trying to jam Zach Wilson down everyones throats because he was taken with the second pick like last year they will also know it.

I don't think they are.  I think they love Zach's talent, haven't given up on him and will ride Mike White for years if he's the guy.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...