If Zach demanded a trade

Wit

6 minutes ago, Wit said:

Lets say Mike White does well enough to get this team to play offs and maybe wins a game. 

Zach demands a trade.

Jets get a "highish" first rounder. (Why? Because he may still have more value to teams vs. the QB's coming out this year)

Do you draft a QB high/ trade up for another QB? - We can still roll with White and develop someone. 

6023a0c8-9c7a-4d01-8cbb-cee85a06dcf8_tex

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Wit said:

Lets say Mike White does well enough to get this team to play offs and maybe wins a game. 

Zach demands a trade.

Jets get a "highish" first rounder. (Why? Because he may still have more value to teams vs. the QB's coming out this year)

Do you draft a QB high/ trade up for another QB? - We can still roll with White and develop someone. 

Interesting scenario as none of the QBs coming out are impressive in my opinion although I do like the kid from TCU but not as a first rounder Also have to see what JD does in free agency as well as he might bring in a veteran QB 

• Upvote 1

Based on what I heard we’d have to wait til after June to trade him to avoid a monumental amount of dead cap. After that though, maybe you get a 2nd if a team really believes he can be the guy and they know how to fix him. Other than that maybe a 3rd+. 

Jets have no reason to rush a Zach move unless having him in the locker room is a liability. I think they end up holding onto him for another season no matter how things play out. 

• Upvote 4

41 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Interesting scenario as none of the QBs coming out are impressive in my opinion although I do like the kid from TCU but not as a first rounder Also have to see what JD does in free agency as well as he might bring in a veteran QB 

This is true, I think. Simply as a prospect, you’d rather have Zach Wilson instead of Stroud or Levis, and it’d be tight with Bryce Young because of his size. As bad as Zach has been, he’s shown a lot of tools and put some stuff on tape that didn’t reflect hopelessness. Some team would convince themselves that Zach, playing in the Shanahan offense in the NYC market, was just a bad mix and he’d be better somewhere else. That said, only two teams will be in position to have less than zero at the QB spot and have a first round draft pick they might part with—The Texans and the Bucs. The Texans have the first overall and the Browns pick (currently 13th, but should drop a little) and the Bucs are at 19. This presumes Brady walks to retire or play for the Niners/Raiders, etc. 

If the Jets can move Zach for one of those, they should absolutely, 100% do so. They cannot go into 2023 with both Zach and Mike White on the roster, and unless White plays himself off the field, he’s coming back. 

As to what to do with picks ~18 and ~25? I’d draft an OT or TE with the first pick and desperately try to trade the other for a 2024 first, which will presumably have better QB prospects in it. They can roll with White in 23 and, if need be, draft a better QB in 24. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

36 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Based on what I heard we’d have to wait til after June to trade him to avoid a monumental amount of dead cap. After that though, maybe you get a 2nd if a team really believes he can be the guy and they know how to fix him. Other than that maybe a 3rd+. 

Jets have no reason to rush a Zach move unless having him in the locker room is a liability. I think they end up holding onto him for another season no matter how things play out. 

I hope @Sperm Edwards can weigh in on this, but I think they can simply designate any deal as a Post-6/1 trade. If that’s the case, they’ll have paid Zach most of his bonus money and they’d suffer cap hits of ~$5.7mm in 23 and 24. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1) He is not going to demand  a trade

2) Douglas will not trade a guy when his value is at an all time low

3) No team is giving up a 1st rounder for Wilson

As to drafting a QB?  Well that all depends on Mike White from now until seasons end.  I'd have no issue at all if the jets drafted a QB in the 1st round next year if a guy falls to their spot who they really like.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This is true, I think. Simply as a prospect, you’d rather have Zach Wilson instead of Stroud or Levis, and it’d be tight with Bryce Young because of his size. As bad as Zach has been, he’s shown a lot of tools and put some stuff on tape that didn’t reflect hopelessness. Some team would convince themselves that Zach, playing in the Shanahan offense in the NYC market, was just a bad mix and he’d be better somewhere else. That said, only two teams will be in position to have less than zero at the QB spot and have a first round draft pick they might part with—The Texans and the Bucs. The Texans have the first overall and the Browns pick (currently 13th, but should drop a little) and the Bucs are at 19. This presumes Brady walks to retire or play for the Niners/Raiders, etc. 

If the Jets can move Zach for one of those, they should absolutely, 100% do so. They cannot go into 2023 with both Zach and Mike White on the roster, and unless White plays himself off the field, he’s coming back. 

As to what to do with picks ~18 and ~25? I’d draft an OT or TE with the first pick and desperately try to trade the other for a 2024 first, which will presumably have better QB prospects in it. They can roll with White in 23 and, if need be, draft a better QB in 24. 

Look at you with the Gotham Green glasses when considering Wilson’s trade value.

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I hope @Sperm Edwards can weigh in on this, but I think they can simply designate any deal as a Post-6/1 trade. If that’s the case, they’ll have paid Zach most of his bonus money and they’d suffer cap hits of ~$5.7mm in 23 and 24. 

No dice. That’s only for releasing players. Trades happen when they happen.

• Upvote 2

@T0mShane

If they traded him in March (i.e. before his next roster bonus payment) then the ‘24 hit (from his original signing bonus) would accelerate to ‘23. On the other hand, $0 would hit in ‘24, so it’s 6 in 1 and half a dozen in the other. They could just restructure someone else instead (have $5.7MM of someone else’s hit get moved to ‘24+ instead of ‘23). Total is the same in the end.

Some have trouble with that because it disrupts the senses to see that line item on screen, but it’s the same dollars getting allocated to the same player(s), where the only difference is how much has one or another’s name attached this year vs next. A dollar paid is a dollar that must hit, though.

Therefore if he’s traded they’d want it to be before that payment is made (unless, like with Leo, that’s part of the deal, and the team is in-effect buying a higher draft pick with cash/cap space).

• Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

We got a 6th plus a delayed 2nd and 4th for Sam.....just saying :) 

43 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

If someone offers a first round pick for Zach Wilson you get the league office on a 3-way do not let them off the phone until the deal is official. This is pure fantasy.

• Sympathy 1

35 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

1) He is not going to demand  a trade

2) Douglas will not trade a guy when his value is at an all time low

3) No team is giving up a 1st rounder for Wilson

As to drafting a QB?  Well that all depends on Mike White from now until seasons end.  I'd have no issue at all if the jets drafted a QB in the 1st round next year if a guy falls to their spot who they really like.

I wouldn't be surprised if he already HAS, just not public. 

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

So JD got less than a 1st rounder for a better QB. What is your point?

So you think that Sam had more value after Adam Gase, than Zach has after 20 starts (5-2 this year) with Lafluer?

Edit: Fair point- I had scrubbed the Gase Era pretty hard.

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Sam Darnold was a better QB than Zach Wilson and had less to work with. Is there some reason you think Zach would be considered more valuable than Darnold?

You REALLY aren't helping. GM's are searching this place hard for reasons to believe Zach is a potential superstar. (I agree that Sam is better, just believe that the arrogance of other GM's will get us a first or possible second for Zach, especially with the dearth of QB options coming out next year, and the dearth of decent veterans)

• Haha 3