Daniel Jones

16 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

One could also LOL at people ignoring 3 bad years with a million turnovers and then thinking one "good"year that included a measly 3200 yards passing in 16 games as proof that Jones is Franchise QB.

That's 1 way to look at it for sure but I think it's a disingenuous one. He's cut down his turnovers each season that he's been in the league and that 3200 yards also had like 700 yards on the ground. We'd be creaming our pants for a performance like that and they had one of the toughest schedules in the NFL without a top WR.

8 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

He can play but he's not elite and I think given the going rate for QBs he could command more than $30 million per year. If the Giants pay him and their RB they are going to be restricted from making moves in other areas. They better draft really well going forward. Evan Neal had a rough rookie year already.

I could see the owner wanting to pay Daniel Jones though after this season. Tough spot for Schoen and Daboll to be in.

One will get a deal and thebother will get tagged. It's  just economics 

• Upvote 1

Hmmmmmm just because Jones is now performing with Daboll at a certain level for the Giants does not mean that automatically he would do the same for the Jets!

Scheme, training and play designs matter, it isn’t just plug and play with Jones that is why his previous play matters.  

Those of us who warned about Neil O’Donnell, before he was acquired by the Jets in a previous time, have seen this Broadway play before, and know that unless you have a superior QB, plug and play doesn’t necessarily work and why I, if I were the Jets would not pay Jones 30 Million Dollars for ONE year of adequate QB play. 

The Giants yes, because the coaching staff and what I pointed out above holds true, but not the Jets. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

That's 1 way to look at it for sure but I think it's a disingenuous one. He's cut down his turnovers each season that he's been in the league and that 3200 yards also had like 700 yards on the ground. We'd be creaming our pants for a performance like that and they had one of the toughest schedules in the NFL without a top WR.

The toughest schedule thing is nonsense. The NFC is down this year and the Giants AFC crossover division was the horrendous AFC South. They even caught Jacksonville early when they weren’t playing well. 

Jones to me is one of those starting QBs acceptable on a rookie deal, but I wouldn’t want to have to pay him second contract starting NFL QB money. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Hmmmmmm just because Jones is now performing with Daboll at a certain level for the Giants does not mean that automatically he would do the same for the Jets!

Scheme, training and play designs matter, it isn’t just plug and play with Jones that is why his previous play matters.  

Those of us who warned about Neil O’Donnell, before he was acquired by the Jets in a previous time, have seen this Broadway play before, and know that unless you have a superior QB, plug and play doesn’t necessarily work and why I, if I were the Jets would not pay Jones 30 Million Dollars for ONE year of adequate QB play. 

The Giants yes, because the coaching staff and what I pointed out above holds true, but not the Jets. 

Neil was over rated but Parcells anger at him cost the Jets a playoff berth with O'Donnell as the starting QB.  Parcells management of the QB and the game against Detroit was atrocious and cost the Jets a playoff berth.

Jones has size an NFL arm doesn't shy away from moving up in the pocket and good athletisim.  If the Jets can't figure out how to win with him and our D we need a new HC and staff.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

58 minutes ago, JetsAddict said:

The toughest schedule thing is nonsense. The NFC is down this year and the Giants AFC crossover division was the horrendous AFC South. They even caught Jacksonville early when they weren’t playing well. 

Jones to me is one of those starting QBs acceptable on a rookie deal, but I wouldn’t want to have to pay him second contract starting NFL QB money. 

He falls in that ~$30m a year category for me. I think with continued development he could win a SB.

5 hours ago, defensedoesntgetyoulaid said:

This is the funny thing about sports now. We really do change our opinions on guys from one week to the next. The recency effect is real! 

Very true!  Even Robert Saleh was talking about how Zach is the guy and talked about how the fans wanted "instant coffee" or whatever.  Then he benched him twice and said this offseason "We are going to be aggressive as heck when it comes to quarterback play and making sure we do everything we can to satisfy that position".

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, faba said:

Giants found their QB -we are on a 50 year mission to find ours. Last night Giants were just manhandled nothing he can do about that

"Noodle arm", Ken O'Brien (for 2 seasons), Vinny T and Favre (for 1 season each) weren't enough for you?! 

Do you drink instant coffee or something?  :)

Its comical to me how much this fan base puts literally everything on the QB. The Eagles are so far superior roster wise top to bottom to the Giants. They put so much pressure on the Giants and covered the Giants receivers so well. Not saying Jones is elite, but the entire Giants offense and defense was completely overwhelmed by maybe the top team in the NFL.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I would feel the exact same way about signing Daniel Jones to a huge contract as I would about signing Derek Carr to a huge contract.

If you don't have a Mahomes, Allen, Burrow or now Hurts type QB, the rest of the guys who can play are all the same, and Mike White is very much in that category. Put a really good roster around them and they can win, put a crap roster around them and they won't win.

Not much difference in Carr, Garrapolo, Mike White, Cousins, etc. Minor differences, but nothing more than minor. 

• Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Its comical to me how much this fan base puts literally everything on the QB. The Eagles are so far superior roster wise top to bottom to the Giants. They put so much pressure on the Giants and covered the Giants receivers so well. Not saying Jones is elite, but the entire Giants offense and defense was completely overwhelmed by maybe the top team in the NFL.

Which is why it was folly when Giants and Jets fans were creaming over DJ after he tore apart the Vikes D. The same D that made MW look like a "real" Qb .

Jones was much better this year because he cut down his turnovers and used his legs effectively . But by and far he he was slightly better than a game manager. 

Just now, 56mehl56 said:

Which is why it was folly when Giants and Jets fans were creaming over DJ after he tore apart the Vikes D. The same D that made MW look like a "real" Qb .

Jones was much better this year because he cut down his turnovers and used his legs effectively . But by and far he he was slightly better than a game manager. 

I completely agree. I think you have your elite QB's like Mahomes, Allen, Burrow and Hurts, and then beyond that you have a whole bunch of competent game managers that will be as good or bad as their surrounding talent.

Last year Daniel Jones was quite bad, and there was not even a lot of people who were confident he would be the guy this year. Daboll did wonders with him to turn him from trash to a good game manaager

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Eagles defense is nasty.  They generate brutal pressure with only 4 rushers and have a great secondary.  

falling behind so quickly was a disaster.  Giants need 8 minutes to grind out a long drive, just didn’t have the horses to go fast break.  

He’s going to get paid.  Big durable fast QBs are hard to find. He cut the turnovers way down. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Larz said:

Eagles defense is nasty.  They generate brutal pressure with only 4 rushers and have a great secondary.  

falling behind so quickly was a disaster.  Giants need 8 minutes to grind out a long drive, just didn’t have the horses to go fast break.  

He’s going to get paid.  Big durable fast QBs are hard to find. He cut the turnovers way down. 

Minus the rushing yards Jones for a majority of the season ws putting up the same kind of pedestrian numbers that ZW was. Like ZW he was a game manager that relied on a good RB ( Hall/Barkely) and was benefitted by playing a set of weaker teams . Yet one was vilified and one is beloved. If DJ was on the Jets I guarantee 75% of fans here would be labeling him a bust and wanting him gone. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, JetsAddict said:

I wouldn’t want to pay him $30+MM a year 

I would!  I said before this year that I wish Daniel Jones was on the Jets, and he proved to me this year that I was correct in my thinking.  

I would absolutely pay Daniel Jones $30M a year for the next 3 years.  We wouldn't have to give up any draft picks, and can concentrate on getting a first round offensive right tackle to upgrade the offensive line. Move AVT back to left guard, Herbig at right guard, and Duane Brown another year at left tackle.  Tomlinson back up at guard, Becton and Max backups at tackle.  

13 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Minus the rushing yards Jones for a majority of the season ws putting up the same kind of pedestrian numbers that ZW was. Like ZW he was a game manager that relied on a good RB ( Hall/Barkely) and was benefitted by playing a set of weaker teams . Yet one was vilified and one is beloved. If DJ was on the Jets I guarantee 75% of fans here would be labeling him a bust and wanting him gone. 

Yeah no.  67% passer, 92 rating , 700 rushing yards 22 total touchdowns almost 4,000 total yards.
He has nothing around him but Barkley. It’s actual trash. He’ll get the blame unfortunately but the giants came out flat and got their checks clapped. It’s much more of a black eye for Daboll for me 

Just because Wilson was bad and White couldn't stay on the field doesn't
make Jones "good".  He and the rest of the NYG finally played a real team
and they got exposed yesterday.  They had a fantastic draw with MIN (the
worst 13 win team of all time) who sucked defensively and they looked better
than they were.  PHI clamped down on their WR's, spied on Jones running and
the game was over by halftime.  Jones is an average QB who was better than
anything we had, that doesn't make him a franchise QB  

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Lol at thinking Daniel Jones is a franchise qb off his first year of not being a turnover machine and throwing for a measly 3200 yards. 

Took him four years to be average, give him 30+ million a year

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Wit said:

If you watched the game, he really does a good job of giving himself time to throw, but no one is open. I think hes a Kirk Cousins type of player. Not elite.

Keep scratching those lotto tickets until it happens. 

Kirk is a few steps higher on the ladder.

• Upvote 1