Danny Jones wants $45m a year

Rhg1084

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

I really like Jones and originally thought he would do very well here. That said, this is what is wrong with the NFL in many ways, the QB market is beyond nuts.

Can't give 45million to Jones.

Daboll knows QBs. If I were the Giants I’d listen to what he says here and go by that.

In two years Jones could end up looking like a bargain, just like the Mahomes and Allen. The numbers are only going to go up, so if you think you have “a guy” pay him, even if it feels steep right now.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

That's what one good year gets you I guess. I'd tell him to **** off . One team's bad contract doesn't mean other teams have to jump off a cliff too. 

But they won’t have him F off. Instead they will tag him for $32m which all of it goes against their cap. And if he has another solid season, next years tag will cost about $39m.

Weve seen this before with Dak. If Gmen let DJ play this year on the tag, lol, good luck to them. QBs salaries will continue to rise the next 12 months. 

If I am Jones I’ll bet on myself with Daboll in a crap conference and next year have Gmen by the balls even more.

• Upvote 1

I was always laughing at the draft a qb every year argument but this has made me change my mind. For such an important position it makes sense to keep taking a shot until you find one. Doesn’t have to be a high pick. Purdy proved that. Having a successful qb on a rookie deal is so important to a teams cap. Would rather waste a late pick on a developmental qb than some guy who will probably be getting cut anyway. 

18 minutes ago, talonmm said:

A lot of the people on this site are like old dads and grandpas who want to pay $50 cents for a large coffee.  Sadly getting a good quarterback in today's pricing structure is not going to happen for 30 million dollars.

I knew Jones was going to ask a lot more than people speculated this season and so will Mike White (I'm not saying Mike White is our answer).  Those two NY quarterbacks will be looking to get a lot of money compared to what they would have received a couple of years ago if they were free agents back then.

Maybe I act like an old man, but I’m only 34 and look for a bargain!

12 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Maybe I act like an old man, but I’m only 34 and look for a bargain!

You won't find one at the QB position unless you're willing to bring in a guy like Gardner Minshew (which I of course would support, but not for the same reason you might).

If you want a middle/upper tier QB1 you pay premium prices.  Period. 

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You won't find one at the QB position unless you're willing to bring in a guy like Gardner Minshew (which I of course would support, but not for the same reason you might).

If you want a middle/upper tier QB1 you pay premium prices.  Period. 

There’s always bargains in the qb market. How much was tannehill when the titans got him? How much was geno this year? Etc etc then of course there’s the qb rookie deals. 

If someone like Winston is 10 mil then I’d take that over Jones at 45. He can put up huge production, but also has turnover issues. If those can be reduced then you may have something 

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

$32.4M.

They're lucky the tag year isn't 2024.  The tag goes up to $41.8M that year.  

Maybe I’m naive, but i don’t see this as being very complicated for the Giants.

If I were Mara, I’d sit down with Schoen and Daboll immediately. I’d say, “look you two aren’t going anywhere. You didn’t draft him, but you’ve watched him for a year. Yes or no, do you think you can win with him?”

If they say yes, I’d tell them go make the deal, in 3 years it might feel like a bargain. If they aren’t sure, tag him. If they don’t think he is, move on.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

There’s always bargains in the qb market. How much was tannehill when the titans got him? How much was geno this year? Etc etc then of course there’s the qb rookie deals. 

If someone like Winston is 10 mil then I’d take that over Jones at 45. He can put up huge production, but also has turnover issues. If those can be reduced then you may have something 

I'd also be interested in Jameis but he has some disturbing back issues (played thru 4 back fractures) you have to vet first.  Will he even pass a physical?

What worthwhile bargains are going to be out there besides Jameis and Minshew?  And which ones would you trust as the unquestioned QB1?  Name them.  

10 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Maybe I’m naive, but i don’t see this as being very complicated for the Giants.

If I were Mara, I’d sit down with Schoen and Daboll immediately. I’d say, “look you two aren’t going anywhere. You didn’t draft him, but you’ve watched him for a year. Yes or no, do you think you can win with him?”

If they say yes, I’d tell them go make the deal, in 3 years it might feel like a bargain. If they aren’t sure, tag him. If they don’t think he is, move on.

I think you're right here.  And they're probably smart to tag him not only this year but next year if they aren't fully sold on him.

But it's still kicking the can down the road while paying $32.4M this year and potentially $38.8M next year if they tag him again, while dealing with a motivated but potentially pouty starting QB.  That's a lot of cap space to devote to him in the immediate future.  

Might be a good time to shop him and see what offers they can get.

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'd also be interested in Jameis but he has some disturbing back issues (played thru 4 back fractures) you have to vet first.  Will he even pass a physical?

What worthwhile bargains are going to be out there besides Jameis and Minshew?  And which ones would you trust as the unquestioned QB1?  Name them.  

There’s quite a few cheaper guys who can hold down the fort. Winston, Minshew, Brisette, Wentz, Baker, Geno, Darnold, Dalton, Heineke, Bridgewater.

There’s also some complete unknowns like Cooper rush and Rudolph. Those guys will need to be in a competition with someone. 

Going this route you’ll need to draft a qb in the mid rounds and hope they develop in a year or two 

1 hour ago, slats said:

One man’s luck is another man’s purgatory. Minnesota’s gone nowhere with Cousins because he’s not good enough to carry the team even though he’s paid as if he is, so the team struggles to put enough pieces around him. It’ll be the same thing with Carr. Upper mediocrity at a premium price. 

And like I said, I don’t think the team wants to commit to anyone for the four or five years they’d have to with Carr. If JD surprises me and manages to get something for Zach in a trade, maybe that changes. That’s not my expectation. 

Some fans love the idea of being in a never ending cycle of compete ineptitude at QB instead of paying one big money. Love saving the money to “build the rest of the team”. Lol so what’s your solution at QB next season? Mike White?

I like jones and I always wondered if the giants not picking up the 5th year pissed him off a bit.

the giants can put the unrestricted tag on him. If he gets a crazy offer, let him walk and get the 2 first round picks.

giants were a surprise this past season but more than likely they are not going to a super bowl in 23.

get the 2 picks and pick up one of the fa qb’s.

if no one makes him an offer, than he is tagged at a lower cost

1 hour ago, KINGDIRK said:

But they won’t have him F off. Instead they will tag him for $32m which all of it goes against their cap. And if he has another solid season, next years tag will cost about $39m.

Weve seen this before with Dak. If Gmen let DJ play this year on the tag, lol, good luck to them. QBs salaries will continue to rise the next 12 months. 

If I am Jones I’ll bet on myself with Daboll in a crap conference and next year have Gmen by the balls even more.

Maybe, and maybe he doesn't have a great year. Maybe he has a decent year, isn't anything special, and now the Giants are tied up. I don't watch the giants it's possible he had a great year and convinced people he's the guy. I question one year wonders though. I have giants friends who didn't have many pleasant things to say about him coming into the year. 

4 hours ago, slats said:

The elephant in the room is Zach. As long as he’s on the roster, you have assume that the Jets are still hoping to rebuild him. If that’s the case, that’s the sort of thing that might make a one-two year rental of Rodgers or Tannehill more appealing than having to give Derek Carr the huge amount of guaranteed money that someone’s inevitably going to pay him, and tying the franchise to him for probably a three year minimum. 

Really doesn’t matter that Zach is elephant in room as I don’t think Zach has a future here in NY at all. In my opinion front office is just saying that they still have confidence in him but don’t truly believe it. 
That’s why my feeling is they will get a Tannehill, Mayfield type, sign them for 2-3 years while they are developing a QB that they select in the upcoming draft. With the talent assembled on the roster This team is not far away from being a force in the NFL even with average QB play 

Rodgers is too much of a risk as he just might up and retire leaving the Jets really really screwed 

33 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Some fans love the idea of being in a never ending cycle of compete ineptitude at QB instead of paying one big money. Love saving the money to “build the rest of the team”. Lol so what’s your solution at QB next season? Mike White?

I honestly don’t like the options out there, which is one of the reasons I prefer a short term solution like Rodgers or Tannehill to an expensive, long term attempt at a solution in Carr. I’m not interested in the team winning a bidding war for a player I feel has been really overrated by a lot of people based almost entirely on total yards thrown. Let some other schmuck team overpay him. This way the Jets can look for a short term fix while looking ahead for a longer term solution when -hopefully- the options are better. 

Key things to note that haven't really been discussed so far:

"Possibly" wants ... "as much as" $45m ... according to "a source". 

This is at the very start of negotiations ... negotiations are where they start low, you start high, and you eventually meet somewhere in between.

He wants $45m, they want to pay $30m for example, they meet somewhere between the two depending on how much is bonus, salary, guaranteed vs. not guaranteed, how many years, etc etc. Both sides say they are "very happy" with the outcome.

As for how this relates to the Jets ... I don't see it impacting much. Jets will need to sort their situation out before any agreements between Jones and the Giants (Giants can tag while they negotiate until the deadline, and aren't likely to reach a settlement all that quickly as there is no pressure).

Jets will have a value that they will entertain against Carr / Rodgers / AOQB and will not deviate significantly from that based on market rumours and potential asking prices elsewhere. They haven't hitched their wagon to one particular guy, or even a group of guys, just "a vet" ... they didn't specify what that meant. There will be "a vet" somewhere who will fit the Jets spending plans one way or another.

44 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Why is minshew better than any of those guys?

He has a 44:15 career TD:INT ratio.

I get that he kinda sucked in one of his 2 starts last season (but did he though?  He cleared 8.5 YPA in both games), but the dream isn't yet dead on him being a capable starter in this league.  Juxtapose that with the other guys on the list for whom the book has basically been written.  Even Geno, who was of course very good this season but still displayed some of the old limitations we saw earlier in his career.

Minshew may not be better than anyone on that list but he has a wider range of outcomes at the moment and thus that makes him an intriguing option to me.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He has a 44:15 career TD:INT ratio.

I get that he kinda sucked in one of his 2 starts last season (but did he though?  He cleared 8.5 YPA in both games), but the dream isn't yet dead on him being a capable starter in this league.  Juxtapose that with the other guys on the list for whom the book has basically been written.  Even Geno, who was of course very good this season but still displayed some of the old limitations we saw earlier in his career.

Minshew may not be better than anyone on that list but he has a wider range of outcomes at the moment and thus that makes him an intriguing option to me.

People who bring up minshews stats always seem to ignore one major issue. 22 fumbles. He barely even played last year and had 4 fumbles. 

• Sympathy 1

$45 million per year really doesn't mean anything.

10 Year $450 million $20 million quaranteed is still $45 million per year. But in reality 

Year one - $20 million

Year two - $25 million

Year three - $30 million.

Year four-through ten - who cares

24 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

It amazes me how cheap this fan base is. Like it’s not your money. 

I don't think people are clutching their pearls because they're worried Woody might have to fly public after spending this money.

The Jets play in a league with a salary cap and we want to be sure we allocate our resources intelligently.

Danny Dimes has not proven that he's worth 1/5 of the cap for his team. Guys like Burrow and Mahomes are no brainers. 

Carr is trickier - I believe he's better than Jones but he's not 'elite', so I do not want to pay him like Josh Allen because it will take $ away from the rest of the team... and the rest of the team needs to be better than the Bills, because we have Derek Carr and not Josh Allen. 

• Upvote 1